Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    AllonAllon Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Morskittar wrote:
    Allon wrote:
    Morskittar wrote:
    LockeCole wrote:
    Where might one bury himself in the lore/backstory of the Warhammer universe? I'm kinda bored and it looks really neat.

Check my attempt at a comprehensive guide to Warhammer background.

No mention of The Enemy Within at all? :cry:

I've tried to stick to somewhat easily available products. Note the Witch Hunter novels aren't on there either. Great books, but I'll probably hold them off until an Omnibus is released.

Yeah, just mentioning it because it has an absolute shitload of fluff and it's a great campaign to boot. >_>

I take it that Marienburg: SDTR won't be making it onto your list anytime soon either? XD

Allon on
  • Options
    GrimDog420GrimDog420 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AkiraAkira Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    New preview up at gamespy.

[Salivate ON!] http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/warhammer-online/759615p1.html

After being dissapointed by the gameplay videos released a couple months ago, this article has me looking forward to the game again. I am a little worried about the RvR stuff though, since it seems like the dev teams expects NPCs (Dogs of War) to fix any potential faction imbalances there. Also since the RvR is actually 3 seperate battlegrounds (Chaos vs Empire, Orcs vs Dwarfs, Dark Elves vs High Elves) faction imbalance is likely going to be an even bigger problem, especially if it is difficult or impossible to help other races (though I really doubt they'd do something like that).

EDIT: This video wasn't working for me until I took the link out of the newsletter.
    GrimDog420 wrote:

Oh my yes.

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Akira wrote:
    New preview up at gamespy.

[Salivate ON!] http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/warhammer-online/759615p1.html

After being dissapointed by the gameplay videos released a couple months ago, this article has me looking forward to the game again. I am a little worried about the RvR stuff though, since it seems like the dev teams expects NPCs (Dogs of War) to fix any potential faction imbalances there. Also since the RvR is actually 3 seperate battlegrounds (Chaos vs Empire, Orcs vs Dwarfs, Dark Elves vs High Elves) faction imbalance is likely going to be an even bigger problem, especially if it is difficult or impossible to help other races (though I really doubt they'd do something like that).

EDIT: This video wasn't working for me until I took the link out of the newsletter.
    GrimDog420 wrote:

Oh my yes.

rvr is not paired off faction vs faction (orcs vs dwarves, de vs he, etc) it is order vs destruction. You can have a group of orcs, chaos warriors, witchelves and go out and take on a group of dwarves with some empire and he mixed in.

I thought it was going to work this way too, but its not. I got a response from mythic dev georgia on a daoc board.
    Georgia wrote:
    Bjang wrote:
    after watching this video :

http://www.warhammeronline.com/english/media/podcast/files/Tir-RvR_explaination_final.html

It appears that the rvr is paired off: orcs vs dwarves, chaos vs empire, high elves vs dark elves.

So, does this mean there will not be open rvr with mixed side teams? Can an empire player fight a dark elf?

It only appears that way because only Greenskins and Dwarves have been balanced enough to a point in RVR to be playable at a press event like that. The Magus and Bright Wizard haven't had a chance to even touch RVR testing until the past week, so it probably wouldn't have been wise to include them there.

More to the point, no, everyone on either side can hook up to RVR together. It's not race-restricted to the pairings.

GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AllonAllon Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    On one of the Dwarf maps (I think it was Blackfire Pass) there was this big "<---- Empire this way" arrow, so I think all the forces can mix if they are willing to go for a walk.

Allon on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Oh sure just totally ignore my RvR explanation. :(

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I have tried to get into warhammer but I've read more 40k fluff than is really healthy and I can't get over the fact that daemons are on the planet and it isn't completely annihilated yet. Fantasy daemons just seem so weak versus 40k daemons, who slaughter star systems.
    Is there a pleasing explanation? I snigger everytime the lore mentions daemons in a threatening way, I need to know why the daemons are weaker or my plothole itch wont go away and I wont be able to play a demon knight.
    I'd quite like to be able to do this, someone with a deeper knowledge help me.
    "Its because fantasy is not the same as 40k" is not helpful. I KNOW that, I still snigger. I am aware that this makes me pathetic or whatever, its not going to help. They have the same damn names, 40k really should have used different ones.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    As I understand it, in Fantasy the High Elves cast a powerful spell at the end of their first war against Chaos which created a massive magical "drain" in Ulthuan. Magic is drawn out of the world through this spell, weakening spellcasters, magic items, and demons alike.

Mongrel Idiot on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Is there a pleasing explanation? I snigger everytime the lore mentions daemons in a threatening way, I need to know why the daemons are weaker or my plothole itch wont go away and I wont be able to play a demon knight.

40k Daemons can still be killed by guns. I can't, offhand, think of any examples where a single Greater Daemon has destroyed a star system.

Mongrel Idiot hit on why the Warhammer World isn't just torn asunder, though; Ulthuan is a giant magic toilet, and acts as a conduit back to the Realm of Chaos.

As for individual daemon power; they're more powerful in the Warhammer world (both in game rules and description... Greater Daemons can ravage entire towns, cities, and even nations if they run loose). Thing is, despite the elven toilet, the Warhammer world is still completely saturated with what daemons are most vulnerable to; Chaos. It's far more easy to draw upon powers of Change in the Old World to banish a thing of Despair, vise versa, or whatever else you want.

Since all magic; divine, arcane, whatever in Warhammer is shaped by belief and will, it provides more tools for Sigmarite priests, elf wizards, or whomever else to banish daemons back to the warp.

It's all a matter of scale. Just because the setting isn't as sprawlingly vast as 40k, doesn't mean Warhammer is "smaller". Just more individually focused or personal.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I have tried to get into warhammer but I've read more 40k fluff than is really healthy and I can't get over the fact that daemons are on the planet and it isn't completely annihilated yet. Fantasy daemons just seem so weak versus 40k daemons, who slaughter star systems.
    I'd quite like to be able to do this, someone with a deeper knowledge help me.
    "Its because fantasy is not the same as 40k" is not helpful. I KNOW that, I still snigger. I am aware that this makes me pathetic or whatever, its not going to help. They have the same damn names, 40k really should have used different ones.

in 40k (the game not the fluff) greater demons are a joke. hi2u lascannons.

in fantasy they actually are still somewhat a pain in the ass.

GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DondumsDondums Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I don't really know that much about Warhammer lore or any of that, but I find myself drooling in anticipation for this game. WoW, unfortunately, has quite a nesting in my brain, though, so Mythic will have to do quite well to free me from Blizzard's prison.

I want to cuddle with the Greenskins.

Dondums on
    internet
  • Options
    ColdbrandColdbrand Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Why would you get lonely as an English speaking European on American servers? It's not like anyone would be able to tell unless you give it away with obvious speech patterns. And even if you did, I don't think we act very hostile, do we?

I know I've played on British servers and done just fine. The cultural differences are always interesting and the sense of alienation only helps to make it feel more like a different world and thus more immersive.

Coldbrand on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Coldbrand wrote:
    Why would you get lonely as an English speaking European on American servers? It's not like anyone would be able to tell unless you give it away with obvious speech patterns. And even if you did, I don't think we act very hostile, do we?

I know I've played on British servers and done just fine. The cultural differences are always interesting and the sense of alienation only helps to make it feel more like a different world and thus more immersive.
    I think he was commenting on the lack of active players in the evening. ;) We're 6 hours ahead of y'all.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Aldo wrote:
    Coldbrand wrote:

I think he was commenting on the lack of active players in the evening. ;) We're 6 hours ahead of y'all.
    Well, I live in Massachusetts so it's not as far off for me.

Coldbrand on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Mongrel, Mors, Grim, thanks a lot, those explanations are what I was looking for.

Mor, when Slaneesh was born in 40k, he took out an entire region of the galaxy, subsuming it into the warp and creating the eye of terror.
    Daemons within the eye of terror are vastly more powerful than daemons outside it.

The elf spell and individual focus on magic makes a lot more sense, I believe I can curb my sniggers now.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Wow has gotten me interested in MMOs as I previously completely ignored them.

This looks interesting I might pick it up a patch or two after release.

I'm a bit confused as to whether high level characters will be able to fight in tier 1 and steamroll over the newbies. Well, probably but lets hope they wouldn't be such dicks.

JJ on
  • Options
    DondumsDondums Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I read in one of the Grab Bags something similar to your question, JJ. I think. Here's to hoping it helps.
    Q: Will a character of Tier 1 be able to compete at all, even if poorly, against a character of Tier 4? Will multiple Tier 1 characters be able to take on and defeat a Tier 4 character?

A: This is a question with many potential implications, so don’t read any more into this than my exact words. Also, please remember that we are still a long way from launch, and that this may change.

Higher tier players who enter lower tier zones will not be able to attack or be attacked by lower tier players. However, if a lower tier player wants to enter a higher tier zone, all bets are off, and attacking/being attacked can happen.

The specific answer to your question is that Tier 1 players cannot win a one on one fight with a Tier 4 player. A pack of Tier 1 players will be able to cause harm to a Tier 4. We have not yet set an exact level of intended damage (and it will vary hugely depending on the player and the circumstances), so I cannot give you a specific answer.

Dondums on
    internet
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I have the feeling that'll be widely open to abuse, I mean, what if those higher tiers can still heal and/or buff tier1 dudes?

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Aldo wrote:
    I have the feeling that'll be widely open to abuse, I mean, what if those higher tiers can still heal and/or buff tier1 dudes?
    Yeah, these professional developers are certain to over look that even though they're the ones who created what's nearly universally agreed upon as the best PvP experience available in an MMO.

Coldbrand on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Paul Barnett is so awesome.

It's like he's not a typical design manager but instead they found some rabid Warhammer fan and just put him in charge of the game.

JJ on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Coldbrand wrote:
    Aldo wrote:
    Yeah, these professional developers are certain to over look that even though they're the ones who created what's nearly universally agreed upon as the best PvP experience available in an MMO.
    *shrug* It must be great to be able to trust that someone won't screw up something.

Remember when Blizzard made Starcraft? Everyone loved how well-balanced the factions were and yet so different, then they made World of Warcraft where they had to make the two factions completely equal to eachother to stop the constant complaints.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    while I love daoc, to say that mythic knows how to balance the realms is a bit of a stretch. They tend to favor the pendulum effect, for a few months albs are uber, then its the hibs, then its the mi...no wait mids are never made powerful anymore.

GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    albs, hibs and mids?

JJ on
  • Options
    KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    JJ wrote:
    albs, hibs and mids?

Albions, Hiberians, and Midgards.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    jdarksun wrote:
    Aldo, that's totally a scale issue. How many copies of Starcraft were sold? About nine million since its release nine years ago.

How many people are playing World of Warcraft right now? Eight million last month.

So Blizzard took the easy way out and made the two factions basically identical. Honestly, that's a much smaller pain in the ass in a PvP MMO where you have to deal with months of real-time investment into a single character... versus starting up a new round two hours later (at most).

Don't get me wrong, I still think it's shit. But after leading a Horde guild on the Alliance-favored Sargeras, it's easier for me to look back and say "Hey, you know what? Maybe things would have been more even if they had been more even."
    I stopped playing WoW a few months back, I was displeased by them taking the easy way out of the faction imbalances. So maybe I'm a little more bitchy about this sort of things than you. ^^

I think my point still stands, I mean, how many people played DAoC max? :? 1 million? less?

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    The core difference here Aldo is that warhammer is being developed from the ground up as a pvp at it's core and the dev's designers are aware of the issues of faction imbalance and other issues that come up in pvp-centric games.

DAOC has been out 5+ years now I believe and they continue to make steps forward with it every day. Hell, a large amount of current and upcoming content in daoc seems like "warhammer concept testing" to the daoc community.

WoW, on the other hand, was developed from the ground up to be a pve game with pvp sprinkled on as an afterthought and the game was not balanced as such when it launched. Granted, as a former wow player the pve was heavily skewed as well in the favor of alliance for some time.

GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I was hinting at the PvE imbalances as well, mainly the difference between totems and blessings. I really don't see why my comment is sparking lengthy posts, though, I was just being sceptical. You are probably not interested in psycho-analysis on this. :P Suffice to say it has everything to do with WoW. ^^

Anyway, I heard that WAR has Hammers.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Aldo wrote:
    Coldbrand wrote:
    Aldo wrote:
    *shrug* It must be great to be able to trust that someone won't screw up something.

Remember when Blizzard made Starcraft? Everyone loved how well-balanced the factions were and yet so different, then they made World of Warcraft where they had to make the two factions completely equal to eachother to stop the constant complaints.
    Everyone good at Blizzard left, this is why. Blizzard is now run by the assholes and rejects who used to scrub the floors.

Coldbrand on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Coldbrand wrote:
    Everyone good at Blizzard left, this is why. Blizzard is now run by the assholes and rejects who used to scrub the floors.

Hey, Andy Chambers is at Blizzard now. Being the Horned Rat incarnate, he's automatically awesome. Doesn't really have anything to do with WoW, though.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Aldo wrote: »

Blizzard isn't making Warhammer Online.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Coldbrand wrote: »
    Well, I live in Massachusetts so it's not as far off for me.

I play on european time since i work nights, and man, MMO's are boring on american servers. Games that have big european populations usually are thriving when i get off work, but a game like WoW where its basically all american players on your server are deader than dead.

Completely on topic, Ive been looking forward to this game since the day it was announced. I signed up for the news letter the first day you could, signed up for the beta on the first day they took entries... im going to be really pissed if i dont get in on the first round.

Im also praying that this game doesnt somehow get fucked up. Ive got a lot of faith that it will be goddamn excellent. The only way i could be more excited for it was if it was 40k, but regular warhammer is still damn good.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    TalleyrandTalleyrand Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I've been pumped about this game for awhile despite not being a tabletop or MMO fan. I just wonder what sort of roleplaying restrictions they're going to have. It really ruins the game when you see an Aeon Flux or Aragorn run by.

Talleyrand on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I think we've seen anecdotal references to different server types (in terms of RP and "regular"), though I doubt we'll see anything resembling a free-for-all or non-PvP server type.

The Six Mouths have talked a little about this, and there's a chance we'd hit a roleplaying server, being made up of many Warhammer fans. That being said, I'd never restrict guild chat to roleplaying, or "force" anyone to roleplay. It'd mainly be for the reasons you mention, Talleyrand: more naming controls.

Hell, I'll give Empire players shit for not using Germanic names. Who the hell ever heard of an Imperial named "Aragorn" or "Darkwalkerbloodman"?

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    daoc has rp server, ffa pvp servers and pve servers. I would assume mythic will do rp at least at start. But, if its anything like daoc the rp server is just a name police server, theres no rp.

GrimDog420 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RhakaRhaka Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm just going to be annoyed at Chaos players who want to collect both my cranium for the cranium throne, and my bodily fluids for the bodily fluids god.

Rhaka on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    GrimDog420 wrote: »
    daoc has rp server, ffa pvp servers and pve servers. I would assume mythic will do rp at least at start. But, if its anything like every MMORPG ever created the rp server is just a name police server, theres no rp.

Much better...

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Hell, I don't care what type of server it is. In the end, I want to roll up an orc and spend all of my time talking orcy and yelling WAAAGH!

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    SamiSami Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I hope the character customization will allow me to make the most effeminate demi-god of death and destruction imaginable.

Sami on
  • Options
    CripTonicCripTonic Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Sami wrote: »
    I hope the character customization will allow me to make the most effeminate demi-god of death and destruction imaginable.

We can only hope. Maybe this won't be another Diablo 2/WoW everyone looks the same kinda game.

CripTonic on
    0liDg.png
This discussion has been closed.