Options

[WAR] Warhammer Online - Paul Barnett: Chaos God of Shades

• Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Wren wrote: »
    its kinda neat that the elf areas will work differently than the empire/chaos and dwarf/orc ones. explained in the video

I guess I didn't get what he meant.

Like... the one group of elves will attack, and one will defend?

Isn't that also going to be the case with, say, dwarves and greenskins or empire and chaos?

edit: no idea how I got 'zombies' instead of 'elves'

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I don't know how they really work differently, but they said they would

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Empire vs Chaos & Dorf vs Greenskin = Raze enemy capital
    High Elves vs Dark Elves = Capture Elven homeland

Also, I noticed they showed some large green lizard in the background for alot of the Witch Elves animation, any speculation or ideas on that? I'm more up to date on my 40k lore than Fantasy.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Thank you Wren for the zone overviews link
    That is some great backstory and really sets up the mood and atmosphere for each zone.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KingMoleKingMole Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    scootch wrote: »
    what class do I pick to play tank?
    I know nothing about warhamme except the cool screenshots :P

You make me sad that I wasn't picked before you.

KingMole on
    doomrider_sigPA.png
  • Options
    iarethiareth Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Also, I noticed they showed some large green lizard in the background for alot of the Witch Elves animation, any speculation or ideas on that? I'm more up to date on my 40k lore than Fantasy.

Cold One. (Giant Lizardy-thingy, which is used as a mount by Cold One Knights, for example)

iareth on
  • Options
    SaerisSaeris Borb Enthusiast flapflapflapflapRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    ability: tastes like chicken - eat your squig for a large heal

tactic: tasty sauce - tastes like chicken heals for twice as much

:lol:

Saeris on
    borb_sig.png
  • Options
    SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Hrm, so it sounds like another round of beta invites did go out. Seeing a bunch of posts in different places from folks getting invites.

Which is funny, as I imagine the 18 Six Mouth folks probably had thier names taken out of the hat. I wonder if any of us would've gotten in :) .

Oh, and I say when this thread hits 100, the Invites should go out :) . Which shoudl be in the next post or two.

Selner on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Good

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    idea!

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I do this for the guild.

Toothy on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Whats going on in this thread?

iareth on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Maek Poast!

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Greenskins: Waaagh!

Host of the Raven God: *roars a wordless bellow*

Dark Elves: For the TRUE HEIR!

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    We probably shouldn't spam too much. Also, we'll need a new OP very, very soon here.

Oh shits, look what I did.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    maraxus94maraxus94 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    maybe guild beta is a test of faith and just when we're about to lose hope, we get in! just as open beta starts!

It better not be that late, they did say within 3 or so weeks at the beginning of august.

maraxus94 on
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    KingMole wrote: »
    I know nothing about warhamme except the cool screenshots :P

You make me sad that I wasn't picked before you.

don't be hatin.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I'll agree with KingMole on this to an extent, it is somewhat disconcerting that you have applied to beta test something when you dont even keep up to date on the monthly newsletters / mainpage, nor even be bother to read it after you are accepted.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I'll agree with KingMole on this to an extent, it is somewhat disconcerting that you have applied to beta test something when you dont even keep up to date on the monthly newsletters / mainpage, nor even be bother to read it after you are accepted.

Waaah, boo hooooo

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Create a lvl 1 Warriorpriest, pick a direction, and then head that way to see whats behind the next hill. Besides those mobs which kill you in new and inventive ways. Again and again. And couple times more, just for good measure.

http://war.onlinewelten.com/downloads.php?id=35

Some areas which haven't been seen before.

iareth on
  • Options
    edited August 2007

I would read the newsletter if they sent me them. I got the first several and I stopped getting them.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Ignore them, scootch. You got in, they didn't. Lucky you :P

If you don't know much about the lore, then almost everything you read in that Tome they've hyped so much will be new. And Mythic will be very interested to hear how much you got out of it.

edit: Oh, and that tank-class. Black Orc, Ironsomething, Knight of Blazing Saddles, Chosen, Black Guard and Swordmaster.

iareth on
  • Options
    grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    In scootch's defense, keeping up to date on PR fluff is a fool's errand this far before release. Stuff will inevitably change before you get hands on experience, so it's better to go in with no or very few preconceptions.

That said, it was a stupid thing to say. At least take the time to read up while the client is downloading...

grrarg on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Hmm, seems I may have represented myself. I am not concerned that he got into Beta and I did not, since I did not actually apply and had I been offered a slot through TSM I would have turned it down since I would feel I would not be able to devote enough time/energy/attention to the TESTING part of the beta. So when someone who has done little to no follow up on the game gets in, like I said I found it disconcerting, because are they going to magically start paying attention? or will they download it, play for a day or two, find it too buggy and quit? (because, you know, beta)

Also, in regards to not recieving the newsletters, every month they are posted on the main page as well as rehosted on numeroud fansites (many of which are linked in this very thread).
    (edit: yes, alot of PR fluff is in the newsletters, but they also describe alot of the core mechanics that they are going to be implementing, so how would you test that the mechanics are functioning if you dont even know what they are?)

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    grrarg wrote: »
    In scootch's defense, keeping up to date on PR fluff is a fool's errand this far before release. Stuff will inevitably change before you get hands on experience, so it's better to go in with no or very few preconceptions.

That said, it was a stupid thing to say. At least take the time to read up while the client is downloading...

but this IS exactly what I'm doing. I AM reading up on things while downloading.. the question is why the hell you guys even think I'm not?

I only mentioned it because I figure you guy would be kind enough to link to some better info or give me insight since many of you know more about this. I was sorely mistaken.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    grrarg wrote: »

but this IS exactly what I'm doing. I AM reading up on things while downloading.. the question is why the hell you guys even think I'm not?

I only mentioned it because I figure you guy would be kind enough to link to some better info or give me insight since many of you know more about this. I was sorely mistaken.
    Just ignore the idiots, man.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    maraxus94maraxus94 Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Don't think too much into it Scootch, people are just a bit bitter. After all, we have heard people getting in left and right that have paid no attention to the game(at least you are trying) when we spend hours a day on fansites and obsessing over every scrap of information with our veteran newsletter subscriber status and gamesdays attendees, with guild beta invites still not going out.

maraxus94 on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    well, I still want to know if there is any good site for info. the official site looks cool and all but doesn't give me a whole lot of info on the classes or the races.. or is that the most info we have?

scootch on
    TF2 stats
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Thats the most info. People in Beta might have access to some pages/forums which have more information that what is publicly available. I wouldn't know, as I'm not in it.

And anything not in official pages could be wrong anyway, due to NDA and constant development going on.

Jump right in, have fun!

iareth on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, Scootch, not a whole lot of facts yet. Warhammer Alliance isn't a bad place to start for hearsay, bitching, and useful tidbits.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    mostly just bitching though, if you read the forums

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I really liked the assertion that you can't possibly know what you're testing in the beta unless you read all of the public info.

Like a beta tester playin' a Warrior Priest will have no idea that they've got a Righteous Fury meter or something.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    omg spoilerz

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Something that shouldn't be overlooked is that "people who don't know shit about the game world" are also a potential userbase to be tapped if possible.

I don't know shit about Warhammer or 40k or anything that isn't in the WHO Wiki page, but I'm keeping my eye on it. As much as they should play up the immersive aspects by incorporating things into the game (text and encounters and whatnot) that will make long time fans Oooooh and Ahhhhh, the more they can do to appeal to guys like me who've never played the tabletop rpg or wargame, the more likely the game will become a financial powerhouse, and thus, the more money the developers will have to throw at new content.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    holy shit.. i got that special email today. I wanted to be in this one so bad. yay!
    I know nothing about warhamme except the cool screenshots

Essentially this is what I thought of, sorry if its harsh. Especially considering that the site where you sign up also has descriptions of all the classes.
    sooo not sorry
    http://ctrlaltdel-online.com/comic.php?d=20070205
    20070205.jpg

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    you did not just link a CAD comic did you? forshame

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I really liked the assertion that you can't possibly know what you're testing in the beta unless you read all of the public info.

Like a beta tester playin' a Warrior Priest will have no idea that they've got a Righteous Fury meter or something.

Reading some of the basic info off of the main page would be a plus, I'm not saying he has to memorize it or anything.

I consider a closed beta to be something like a job, I dont just run around dropping resumes and filling out applications without knowing anything about the company or job.

In fact it is very similar to a job in that a limited number of people are all trying to make the game better for the developer / publisher through hard work and documentation of testing and bugs / errors.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    they've said they wanted all sorts of people for the beta. informed people, uninformed people being among those. also its an unpaid job so they get what the pay for when getting people who haven't read all the information.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The whole point of a Beta test is to make the game playable to the entire user-base. I'm willing to bet a sizable number of that user-base aren't going to read shit about the game before they buy it.
    Beta isn't like a job, giving free game access to the people who deserve it most, it's about making the game playable for future customers.

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Asking about a game in the thread about said game? What a shock, perhaps you guys could try to be less of a bunch of jealous dicks about it?

And CAD? Fail for the fail god.

-SPI- on
This discussion has been closed.