As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

XBox Kinect: 8 Million Sold and Growing!

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I was planning on buying a new XBox 360 anyway so I figure I'll pay the extra $100 and pick Kinect up as well. If nothing else, the kids ought to enjoy it and it looks like there are at least a few promising games coming out later like (essentially) the new Rez & Panzer Dragoon.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    Beltaine wrote: »
    The camera is only 640x480?

I am disappoint.

Or is it just a clever marketing scheme to sell us all Kinect HD upgrade hardware later?

Smaller res = faster to process.

Also, the vast majority of people are still playing in SD anyway.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I played on one today, if you're in the UK then most Game stores are "rocking" a display model. I tried out two different games, in two different stores (I was on the hunt for the £5 Sega Superstars/Fuel/Tomb Raider Legends PS3 pack, which I found. Bargain!). I would like to pre-fix all of this by saying I haven't looked in to the Kinect line up AT ALL. So I don't know any game names.

So, first off, the set up:

Store #1: Set up in the middle of the store, play area was about 6 foot back from the camera. TV was set up roughly at head height, so a little higher than most home systems (unless you're wall mounted). We had about 6 feet either side, and behind. Possibly more but people were crowding round and making it seem smaller. Lighting was fairly even, spot lights are used in the store.

Store #2: This was a smaller store and the gaming area was a bit more compact, probably still about 6 feet in front of the camera but not as much on either side or behind. Lighting again was pretty even throughout, the screen was mounted a little lower.

The games:

Store #1: They had some awful, awful game where your character is stood on a moving platform. This platform runs on rails. On these rails are obstacles which you must duck, jump and lean side to side to escape from. The lag was horrendous, you had to move about a second before you wanted your character to move. I noticed it whilst watching someone play and then got frustrated with it myself. At some points in the game you had to pull yourself through gates, to speed up (a little like the speed up gates in Sonic). Again you had to do the pulling motion in advance of going through the gates, rather than when you passed them, otherwise you'd miss your window. It was also a bit...skittish, like my character suffered from a nervous twitch. I put this bad motion detection down to the environment, or maybe I was wearing the wrong clothes.

As for the game itself, it was utterly terrible, probably passable for five minutes of fun but I was bored quickly. I assume it's part of a mini-game collection, if it's not then I hope it's bloody cheap.

Store #2: Ok, things improved a bit here. They had some dancing game on (no idea if it's the Harmonix one everyone keeps on about or a cheaper one). Lag was less noticable, though still present. However it utterly failed to work for the guy on before me, it looked like he was following the instructions and timing perfectly yet nothing was happening. I gave it a go and things seemed to work better for me. He was asian and I'm pasty white so perhaps Kinect has issues detecting certain colours.

The game seemed fun enough, something I could imagine playing at parties but never at home alone and in honesty not something I'd put money down on.

CONCLUSION (dum dum DUMMMMM)

I've bought in to a load of "fads" and extras and continue to do so. I picked up the Wii Balance Board, I'll be buying a set of Move controllers and I have three or four light guns sat at home for older consoles, not to mention arcade sticks and the Live Vision camera. I'm after a 3d tv, because I'm just a gadget whore and have to have every new bit of technology.

But I won't be getting Kinect. The games look like HD Eyetoy games, the detection is hit or miss, the camera is pretty damn ugly looking and is just something else extra to sit in front of my tv and the cost is too high. The lack of direct input also limits, at least as far as I can imagine, what games can be made for it.

At the moment platform-exclusive games are dying out, and are a pretty high risk for the developer, other than for the Wii which is cheap to develop for and has a large install base willing to buy crap. Given this how many studios are going to want to put a lot of money and resource in to developing a game for one console, that will only work on a fraction of the install base?

I just can't see this being anything but a failure.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    And just as a follow up, someone mentioned the Wii before. Before it came out, I was sceptical and didn't think I wanted it. I got chance to try an instore demo of Wii Sports (Bowling and Tennis) and it completely turned me around.

The games being demo'd for Kinect have had the opposite affect.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »

I am disappoint.

Or is it just a clever marketing scheme to sell us all Kinect HD upgrade hardware later?

The resolution of the game you're playing doesn't matter in this case.

If it needs to see your whole body in a 640x480 image, then it can only sense movements as subtle as those pixels allow. A 720p camera ought to be able to be much more precise, especially with small things like digits.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ValleoValleo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    And just as a follow up, someone mentioned the Wii before. Before it came out, I was sceptical and didn't think I wanted it. I got chance to try an instore demo of Wii Sports (Bowling and Tennis) and it completely turned me around.

I think a more apt comparison would be the Wii balance board, not the Wii itself. On the Wii I (usually) have the option between games that utilise motion control and or a regular control scheme, often within the same game.

I know everyone and their mother bought a Wii fit, but how many would have bothered buying one if we had been able to see the lineup of future games utilising the board?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_Balance_Board#Wii

Valleo on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Isn't 480p widescreen 854x480?

Even there you're losing some resolution compared to what the camera can do. Anyway, for most games (except augmented reality) it's a non-issue, unlike the eyetoy games they don't seem to overlay you on to the screen, you get an avatar acting out your actions.

But as Sporky mentions above, it's really limiting for what it can actually make out.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Can't say I'm getting one any time soon. This is largely due to Burger King not giving them out in Canada.

I'm interested, but my interest / my finances are not enough to really justify that kind of expenditure right now.

Too bad this is US only. As for you americans, reading some of the rules I saw that you can get a few free codes a day on the website without any purchase.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »

I am disappoint.

The resolution of the game you're playing doesn't matter in this case.

If it needs to see your whole body in a 640x480 image, then it can only sense movements as subtle as those pixels allow. A 720p camera ought to be able to be much more precise, especially with small things like digits.

The depth-camera has an even lower resolution.

Remember how they dropped it's onboard processor to cut costs? Yeah.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Valleo wrote: »

I think a more apt comparison would be the Wii balance board, not the Wii itself. On the Wii I (usually) have the option between games that utilise motion control and or a regular control scheme, often within the same game.

I know everyone and their mother bought a Wii fit, but how many would have bothered buying one if we had been able to see the lineup of future games utilising the board?

You can't be serious, nobody bought the board for its future potential applications. Everyone bought it for the one game that it came with. Anything else was considered just a bonus.

(Although We Ski is actually a lot of fun and my sister wants a board of her own just to play it.)

Kinect is being sold as a platform, not as a vehicle for one specific good game that everyone wants. That's its problem. Wii Fit was successful because it was the start of the video game-based fitness craze, not because of "all the possibilities."

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, I bought the Balance Board for Wii Fit, it's just a bonus it worked with Rayman and I can slide down a ski-slope on my bum.

This and Move are supposed to extend the current generation by a number of years... I can't see it really.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I dunno, I'm just going by my armchair analysis that if I look at my TV, then tilt my head up and to the left while tilting my eyeballs down and to the right to maintain a vision lock on the screen, it is not the most natural feeling in the world. Especially on a 30 inch TV 10 feet away.

you're currently thinking in two degree. There are in fact, 6 of them:

6_degrees_freedom.png

so while obviously yawing in a FPS to turn the head would be batshit insane.
    Leaning your head left or right keeps your face aligned with the TV, which makes leaning pretty easy and effective. Same goes for an up/down for say ducking behind a barrier and peeking up out of it.

Pitch would be doable by applying a little multiplication, for example you could pitch up and down to look up and down, and then do it something like 1 degree of pitch (for your head) would come out as 10 degrees of pitch for your ingame character. Of course you'd have to do some testing to figure out what the best multiplication factor would be.

Rolling is out of the question unless you are, in fact, an owl.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Actually as a matter of fact I am.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

You can't be serious, nobody bought the board for its future potential applications. Everyone bought it for the one game that it came with. Anything else was considered just a bonus.

(Although We Ski is actually a lot of fun and my sister wants a board of her own just to play it.)

Kinect is being sold as a platform, not as a vehicle for one specific good game that everyone wants. That's its problem. Wii Fit was successful because it was the start of the video game-based fitness craze, not because of "all the possibilities."

So you're saying that the board was more like, say buying a drum kit to play Rockband with. Fair enough. I guess what it boils down to me is "is there something good to be played with this?".

Valleo on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    and that answer is Dance Central. And the vague possibility that the panzer dragoon game and the new tekki are good and live up to their former glory.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    and that answer is Dance Central.

To me Dance Central = garbage.
    And the vague possibility that the panzer dragoon game and the new tekki are good and live up to their former glory.

I'm going to wait, hope and see if this pans out. If it does, I'll happily buy one.

Valleo on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    and that answer is Dance Central. And the vague possibility that the panzer dragoon game and the new tekki are good and live up to their former glory.

But it doesn't come with it, you have to make that purchasing decision on your own. Microsoft is hyping its own games that are just knockoffs of Wii games, while only the forum gamers know about Dance Central (which is still no more compelling than Just Dance, honestly).

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    And as much as Dance Central looks fun, we've already had two go-rounds of Just Dance that take out the "holy shit I've never seen anything like this before" factor.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Just Dance is garbage, (my wife rented it) largely due to the limitations of the controller. Dance central does seem like it would be a much improved based on the skeletal tracking of kinect. However I'm not willing to spend $200 just to play an improved dance game.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I can dance like a fool in my living room on my own.

Don't need my Xbox to watch me and give me a score for it.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    How does Dance Central improve it at all other than graphically? In both cases, you just dance (pun maybe intended). Who cares how you are judged? The point is to dance with other people and be told how you scored, and generally the people playing these games don't care how that score is determined.

What is garbage about Just Dance? Did something about it prevent you from doing the dance moves it told you to do?

Dance Central = Just Dance = video tape of some people dancing that you're supposed to dance along with. That is all they are.

Perhaps you could say Just Dance is a bit inferior as a game because there is nothing to unlock based on your performance, but that's kind of a stretch. It'd be trivial to add, but they decided not to have that because they thought it'd be more fun if people could just choose from all the songs at the start.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    UncleSporky on
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    How's the support for Just Dance though? Are any moves or songs added to the list? I haven't played or seen the game so I don't know how much variety it provides. Harmonix is promising to add songs to Dance Central.

Also, do people really want this variety? Kinect is targeted at casual users. What kind of people buy the Rock Band DLC? I would think that it's mainly core users, but my opinion is pretty unhelpful because I don't exactly know the games' sales figures or interact with its community.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Just Dance can't detect your dance moves as well as Dance Central does. Hell Just Dance barely even registers any dance moves properly, it's like you need to sacrifice a goat to know exactly what the game wants you to do for dance moves. Dance Central at least properly recognizes you doing the dance moves and thus has a competitive aspect to it (especially since there's multiple difficulty levels and star rankings)

Opty on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Just Dance is competitive enough - it's equally inaccurate for all players.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/10603922
    1up Game Night with the Kinect.

Couscous on
  • Options
    InitialDKInitialDK Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    How does Dance Central improve it at all other than graphically? In both cases, you just dance (pun maybe intended). Who cares how you are judged? The point is to dance with other people and be told how you scored, and generally the people playing these games don't care how that score is determined.

What is garbage about Just Dance? Did something about it prevent you from doing the dance moves it told you to do?

Dance Central = Just Dance = video tape of some people dancing that you're supposed to dance along with. That is all they are.

Perhaps you could say Just Dance is a bit inferior as a game because there is nothing to unlock based on your performance, but that's kind of a stretch. It'd be trivial to add, but they decided not to have that because they thought it'd be more fun if people could just choose from all the songs at the start.
    May I ask if you are a fan of dance games in general? As someone who used to play a lot of DDR and PIU for excercise, an argument could be made that I could just go take an aerobics class, but it's not the same.

I think this could be true of Just Dance and Dance Central. My family loves Just Dance but really the only thing the Wii is looking at is the remote and that doesn't work half the time in my experience. This means I'm "failing" a lot and makes the experience less engaging. From the videos I've seen so far DC seems to be a lot more accurate with your moves and scores accordingly making you feel like you are actually accomplishing something. And if it has the Harmonix style of game associated with it could be a vast improvement over JD in more than just graphics.

InitialDK on
    "I'd happily trade your life for knowledge of my powers."
    -Louis C.K.
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So you're saying that the board was more like, say buying a drum kit to play Rockband with. Fair enough. I guess what it boils down to me is "is there something good to be played with this?".

Bingo. I bought the Move because of MAG and Socom and KZ3. I got the Wii for Zelda: TP.

I look at the kinect line up and nothing interests me. And I'm not normally one to scoff at spending hundreds of dollars on gizmos if I find them even remotely interesting (such as the GP32).

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I wish they would make it compatible with the pc so I could pick one up and use it to control my media center.

rts on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    A remote is more efficient and easier to understand.

Couscous on
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I like how they're already charging 39.99 for the fucking plastic stand that allows you to clamp the thing to the top of your TV so it stays put. Otherwise your 150 dollar camera just sort of perches up there precariously on your LCD TV while you bounce around the living room.

I know you can put it underneath the TV but for some people it's probably not optimal.

Allforce on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBITcTqL710

I am watching that video, and a lot of shit just doesn't make sense on what that guy was doing. He had a fucking tripod in front of him which looked like it was messing up the skeleton.

Also, I'm sure wearing a jacket and other super baggy clothes wasn't helping out much either. I highly doubt it had much to do with his height being the problem there.

Also also, setting a camera so it faces direct sunlight. Smart move there.

That whole video review looked like it was designed to mess shit up.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    A remote is more efficient and easier to understand.

Thanks champ.

rts on
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    wakkawa wrote: »
    I am watching that video, and a lot of shit just doesn't make sense on what that guy was doing. He had a fucking tripod in front of him which looked like it was messing up the skeleton.

Also, I'm sure wearing a jacket and other super baggy clothes wasn't helping out much either. I highly doubt it had much to do with his height being the problem there.

Yeah it was weird, he goes on and on about how shitty it is and how it won't be a hit but then states "I can see this thing blowing up huge when Microsoft makes an Avatar-based MMO for it"

Whaa??

Allforce on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Also, I'm sure wearing a jacket and other super baggy clothes wasn't helping out much either..

As if I needed another reason to wear my skinny jeans?!

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Also being a black dude, I guess?
    Allforce wrote: »
    Yeah it was weird, he goes on and on about how shitty it is and how it won't be a hit but then states "I can see this thing blowing up huge when Microsoft makes an Avatar-based MMO for it"

Whaa??

Maybe I wasn't listening close enough, he seemed really neutral/positive in his opinions. Did he ever call it shitty? He said it wasn't working due to his height and such, he was making excuses for it, not bashing it.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Seemed like a fair enough review to me.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So the demographic for this seems to be...

...skinny midget in well lit rooms with the desire to play with lizards and dance their hearts out.

Roger.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So the demographic for this seems to be...

...skinny midget in well lit rooms with the desire to play with lizards and dance their hearts out.
    we've been waiting for yeeeears

POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN on
    vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I love the Kinect Adventures loading screen.

"Cartoon man, stand up!"

"Cartoon man, vaporize all your furniture!"

"Cartoon man, here's a friend if you have room"

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433