As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

XBox Kinect: 8 Million Sold and Growing!

• Options
    weeskweeweeskwee Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    watch what you do while Kinect is powered on. Jessica Chobot may appear on screen and mock your junk.

weeskwee on
    Nintendo Network ID: weeskwee
    XBL Gamertag: weeskwee
    PSN: weeskwee
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/10603922
    1up Game Night with the Kinect.

OK now I totally want Kinectimals.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    weeskwee wrote: »
    watch what you do while Kinect is powered on. Jessica Chobot may appear on screen and lick your junk.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

It looks like a connection of minigames that are almost entirely about doing stuff impossible to fail combined with the bar completion to addict players.

Bravo, MS.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

It looks like a connection of minigames that are almost entirely about doing stuff impossible to fail combined with the bar completion to addict players.

Bravo, MS.

It has a ultra-saccarin black Panthro cub you do all these uber-cute moves and tricks with on a gorgeous beach - my girl will go nuts for this shit!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Anyone else think the 1up crew are a bunch of morons?

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I was thinking about getting this so my family could have something to play with, but then I remembered we have a Wii which nobody uses except for Netflix.

What's this thing's super-awesome launch game, anyway?

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    harvest wrote: »
    I was thinking about getting this so my family could have something to play with, but then I remembered we have a Wii which nobody uses except for Netflix.

What's this thing's super-awesome launch game, anyway?

Being able to do stuff on the dashboard with your voice. :P
    The real answer is probably Dance Central. I'm interested in Kinect Sports and Kinectimals also.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    That's my problem, really. I bought a Wii on launch day and greatly enjoyed a handful of games (Metroid, Mario Galaxy, etc.) but overall it seems like it hasn't met its potential. I'm not sure Kinect will either, or at least the potential they showed when it debuted under the Natal codename.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I just remembered that totally fake but still totally awesome looking demo they had for a Star Wars Kinect game

And now I'm wondering how it could ever really work

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    wakkawa wrote: »
    I am watching that video, and a lot of shit just doesn't make sense on what that guy was doing. He had a fucking tripod in front of him which looked like it was messing up the skeleton.

Also, I'm sure wearing a jacket and other super baggy clothes wasn't helping out much either. I highly doubt it had much to do with his height being the problem there.

Also also, setting a camera so it faces direct sunlight. Smart move there.

That whole video review looked like it was designed to mess shit up.

Also being a black dude, I guess?
    Allforce wrote: »
    Yeah it was weird, he goes on and on about how shitty it is and how it won't be a hit but then states "I can see this thing blowing up huge when Microsoft makes an Avatar-based MMO for it"

Whaa??

Maybe I wasn't listening close enough, he seemed really neutral/positive in his opinions. Did he ever call it shitty? He said it wasn't working due to his height and such, he was making excuses for it, not bashing it.

It hand nothing to do with him being a black dude. He had his camera facing a fucking window, which will mess up any camera.

its like me complaining about a cintiq not being accurate enough while I try to draw with a pair of mittens on.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Has this been posted yet: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Kinect-Times-Square-New-York-City-Toys-R-Us-xbox-360,news-8605.html
    microsoft-kinect-launch-times-square,K-F-267711-13.jpg

So who's in line already? A lot of people, that's who. This is Peter (right) and K (left). Peter has been sitting outside the store since 7pm on Monday, while K arrived Tuesday morning at 9am. Peter says he wants to be among the first to get Kinect, while K said he's there to be in that first 400 going to the after party. When asked if that was the only reason he was there so far in advance, he responded, "That's it. I wanna go to the after-party." Peter said he was buying the peripheral for himself, while K said his wife would probably play it a lot.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    VerrVerr Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The dancing game actually looks like a blast.

Too bad about the price tag.

Verr on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'd wait in line too for $150 worth of free stuff from MS.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So the demographic for this seems to be...

...skinny white midget in well lit rooms with the desire to play with lizards and dance their hearts out.

Roger.

ftfy

Rent on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    wakkawa wrote: »
    I am watching that video, and a lot of shit just doesn't make sense on what that guy was doing. He had a fucking tripod in front of him which looked like it was messing up the skeleton.

Also, I'm sure wearing a jacket and other super baggy clothes wasn't helping out much either. I highly doubt it had much to do with his height being the problem there.

Also also, setting a camera so it faces direct sunlight. Smart move there.

That whole video review looked like it was designed to mess shit up.

Also being a black dude, I guess?
    Allforce wrote: »
    Yeah it was weird, he goes on and on about how shitty it is and how it won't be a hit but then states "I can see this thing blowing up huge when Microsoft makes an Avatar-based MMO for it"

Whaa??

Maybe I wasn't listening close enough, he seemed really neutral/positive in his opinions. Did he ever call it shitty? He said it wasn't working due to his height and such, he was making excuses for it, not bashing it.

YEah, he was incredibly positive about the whole thing, just making excuses when it cocked up. Although the tripod was a weird addition. That said the rest of his room was pretty much standard, it's all very well saying don't set up a camera facing direct sunlight, but if that's how your living room is laid out then that's what you're stuck with.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I don't think I could ever get into motion control as a primary style of gaming. As it was said earlier in the post, I'm probably not in the target demographic for the Kinetic or the PS Move. Not to say that there aren't some games that I enjoy on the Wii -- for example, that make use of the motion control, it's that I could never convince myself to buy a system or a very high-priced addon for the sole purpose of playing the few games that utilize it.

Speaking of the Wii I got my first chance to play the new NBA Jam last night. It was like the summer of 1993 all over again; amazing.

Ranadiel on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    By all accounts "demand is high", so someone must be buying it...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20021673-17.html

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

I want to believe things like this aren't true

But whenever something baffling like this comes up, I hop over to IMDB and check the top five films at the box office for the weekend and then contemplate why I sometimes choose to believe the best in people

Ah well. If anything, if this doesn't bomb, it'll be very interesting to see what the second generation of announced titles go for with it.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I want to believe things like this aren't true

But whenever something baffling like this comes up, I hop over to IMDB and check the top five films at the box office for the weekend and then contemplate why I sometimes choose to believe the best in people

Ah well. If anything, if this doesn't bomb, it'll be very interesting to see what the second generation of announced titles go for with it.

While I pretty much expected it to sell well initially, I think word of mouth will hurt more than help, and with a lack of any developers knowing what the fuck to do with it, sales will likely bottom out in six months at the most.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I don't know if anyone has posted these, but they make me giggle, and probably have an element of truth to them -
    MIKUW.png

100623.jpg

The thing with Kinect and Move is that they are just parroting what Nintendo was doing four years ago, they are trying to conquer a market that's already been conquered. What are they going to do when Nintendo announces Wii 2, with improved controls, built-in 3D with no need for glasses, etc.? Also, I'm sure they'll do better this Christmas period alone than any previous console add-on, but console add-ons have a very bad history and in the long-term, I'm not sure either will sell in huge numbers. When it comes to games, well, you have sports games, dance games, fitness games, a Nintendogs rip-off... I'm sure stuff like Milo will be interesting, but there's nothing really there that hasn't already been done years before. As for integration in "hard-core appeal" games like Metal Gear, or whatever, that will only ever be a novelty, a side-attraction to the real meat - the game itself that you play using the traditional controller.

Simply imitating Nintendo is not a good move for Microsoft and Sony, because if they're only just catching up, what has Nintendo been doing behind the scenes for Wii 2?

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Rohan wrote: »
    I don't know if anyone has posted these, but they make me giggle, and probably have an element of truth to them -
    MIKUW.png

100623.jpg

The thing with Kinect and Move is that they are just parroting what Nintendo was doing four years ago, they are trying to conquer a market that's already been conquered. What are they going to do when Nintendo announces Wii 2, with improved controls, built-in 3D with no need for glasses, etc.? Also, I'm sure they'll do better this Christmas period alone than any previous console add-on, but console add-ons have a very bad history and in the long-term, I'm not sure either will sell in huge numbers. When it comes to games, well, you have sports games, dance games, fitness games, a Nintendogs rip-off... I'm sure stuff like Milo will be interesting, but there's nothing really there that hasn't already been done years before. As for integration in "hard-core appeal" games like Metal Gear, or whatever, that will only ever be a novelty, a side-attraction to the real meat - the game itself that you play using the traditional controller.

Simply imitating Nintendo is not a good move for Microsoft and Sony, because if they're only just catching up, what has Nintendo been doing behind the scenes for Wii 2?

Well for one, a video game console wouldn't be able to make your tv 3d with or without glasses unless you own already have a 3d tv.

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Actually, the funny thing is that some early reviews have already cited that thing with the voice commands in the first comic happening almost exactly like that.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Avicus wrote: »
    MIKUW.png

100623.jpg

Well for one, a video game console wouldn't be able to make your tv 3d with or without glasses unless you own already have a 3d tv.

Yeah, I know, so by going by the rumours, it's likely the Wii 2 won't be out for a while. Bit of a problem for Nintendo, but I'm sure 3D isn't the only thing up their sleeve.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

• Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The thing with Kinect and Move is that they are just parroting what Nintendo was doing four years ago, they are trying to conquer a market that's already been conquered. What are they going to do when Nintendo announces Wii 2, with improved controls, built-in 3D with no need for glasses, etc.?

Alot of game consoles copy features from previous game consoles.

News at 11.

Competition and variety is good.

edit: also wii wasn't the first console to take a crack at motion based gaming, it was just the first to become really successful.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    There's a bit of a difference here.

Rohan on

• Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I don't really see it any different as copying the D-pad or analog stick.

I see move and kinect as more like attempts to stop the monopolisation of motion based gaming, with kinect trying to sell on the gimmick (not in a bad way) of "controller-free" gaming.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »

I see move and kinect as more like attempts to stop the monopolisation of motion based gaming, with kinect trying to sell on the gimmick (not in a bad way) of "controller-free" gaming.

I'd buy what you're saying if Microsoft wasn't imitating Wii in almost every way, from launch lineup to marketing. You have clones of some of Nintendo's most successful casual titles - Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit, Mario Kart, Nintendogs and Just Dance. You have Kinect on Oprah and Ellen - I'm surprised there hasn't been a Kinect episode of South Park yet. This doesn't make Kinect bad, but you don't have to be a cynic to realize that Microsoft isn't demonstrating a single original idea.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I'd buy what you're saying if Microsoft wasn't imitating Wii in almost every way, from launch lineup to marketing. You have clones of some of Nintendo's most successful casual titles - Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit, Mario Kart, Nintendogs and Let's Dance. You have Kinect on Oprah and Ellen - I'm surprised there hasn't been a Kinect episode of South Park yet. This doesn't make Kinect bad, but you don't have to be a cynic to realize that Microsoft isn't demonstrating a single original idea.

Full body hands free control is, in its own way, pretty original.

I just don't think we're quite "there" yet, and the tech limitations seem to reinforce that.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    ihdihd Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I'd buy what you're saying if Microsoft wasn't imitating Wii in almost every way, from launch lineup to marketing. You have clones of some of Nintendo's most successful casual titles - Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit, Mario Kart, Nintendogs and Let's Dance. You have Kinect on Oprah and Ellen - I'm surprised there hasn't been a Kinect episode of South Park yet. This doesn't make Kinect bad, but you don't have to be a cynic to realize that Microsoft isn't demonstrating a single original idea.

It's pretty obvious that that's what they're doing from a business perspective, yes - but I think it's hyperbole to say that they have no original ideas. The underlying technology in Kinect should count for something - it's not like they put a Wiimote + MotionPlus through a xerox machine.

ihd on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    you're both right though. it's competition for the best motion based experience, but who else are they going to emulate here? both of them are clearly vying for some of the money the wii seems to command every year at christmas
    the problem i have is how dumb the name kinect is. reading that game informer article with that tsunoda tool talking up the "real connections" and "social aspects" the kinect is bringing to the table. it's the same crap about how the wii's name is clever about wii meaning WE, and kinect is CONNECTing people. i hate this stuff. i want the technology to be applied in ways that make current games fun.
    i for one want to see more kinect games in the future to include controllers and the sensor in concert to create a more engaging experience. what we'll get is carnival games HD.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The Kinect technology is interesting, and it has potential, but we're not seeing anything close to it yet. I think I'll quote Joystiq from their review -

Microsoft conceived a potential game-changer with Project Natal, it just seems like Kinect was born prematurely.

Rohan on

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    ihd wrote: »

It's pretty obvious that that's what they're doing from a business perspective, yes - but I think it's hyperbole to say that they have no original ideas. The underlying technology in Kinect should count for something - it's not like they put a Wiimote + MotionPlus through a xerox machine.

Dude, it's a fancy eye toy. It's not that groundbreaking.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    BroktuneBroktune Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

For three to four days? I always wonder about the long line waiters. Do they work? If they do, do they use their hard earned PTO time to wait in a line, only to buy the product and have to go back to work? If they don't work, then why are you waiting in line for a gizmo instead of looking for work? Adam Corrolla had a good bit about your personal time. Basically he said that you are always on the clock even if you're not at work.

Broktune on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Broktune wrote: »

For three to four days? I always wonder about the long line waiters. Do they work? If they do, do they use their hard earned PTO time to wait in a line, only to buy the product and have to go back to work? If they don't work, then why are you waiting in line for a gizmo instead of looking for work? Adam Corrolla had a good bit about your personal time. Basically he said that you are always on the clock even if you're not at work.

Sick days and/or personal days for most, I imagine.

I have a job where waiting in line for this kind of stuff would actually be incredible easy, since I can choose to work from home if I'd like. I'm not required to come into the office, except for meetings and/or project deadline submissions.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    MIKUW.png

100623.jpg

Yeah, I know, so by going by the rumours, it's likely the Wii 2 won't be out for a while. Bit of a problem for Nintendo, but I'm sure 3D isn't the only thing up their sleeve.

It's not a problem for Nintendo, nor is the technology 'up their sleeve', it's out there in the open. 3DTV's will not have a bearing on the "Wii 2" release date. The PS3 is already "3d capable" so it would hardly be an innovative feature worth touting, the (HDMI) 360 is capable of outputting a 3d signal too (See Avatar the game).

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    MIKUW.png

100623.jpg

It's not a problem for Nintendo, nor is the technology 'up their sleeve', it's out there in the open. 3DTV's will not have a bearing on the "Wii 2" release date. The PS3 is already "3d capable" so it would hardly be an innovative feature worth touting, the (HDMI) 360 is capable of outputting a 3d signal too (See Avatar the game).

alright, there seems to be a lot of confusion about the technology revolving around 3D. There are two implementations, a hardware implementation, and a software implementation.

Sony's 3D offering works on the hardware side. That is to say, the TV is what is actually making the 3D image. Such a 3D image is created by syncing a pair of shutter glasses to the refresh rate of the television, which displays alternating pictures at the right frequency. This is old technology - the 8 bit Sega Master System did the same thing, using the Sega Scope 3D. This hardware implementation has to do with the signal being sent to the TV.

The 360's solution, however, is software based. It is NOT sending a 3D signal to the TV. Rather than sending data which the TV interprets and creates alternating frames with, the 360 itself creates the 3D image and sends a single kind of image to the TV, which the TV displays without any clue that it's 3D. This is using anaglyph technology - the old trick about red/blue glasses. The way that works is that the colors filter out specific colors in the spectrum, and the image being sent to the TV is actually two separate images bathed in specific colors which get blocked out by each specific side of the glasses.

On the subject of glasses-free 3D, such a solution wouldn't be up to any external box connected to a TV (with an exception which I'll explain later). That implementation is on the hardware side, which is to say that it's up to the TV to figure out how to make a 3D image without glasses. To explain how this works, it's worth detailing how different 3D technologies work. IMAX 3D works in that you have two different projectors which project onto a single screen at specific wavelengths. The screen the project onto bounces back the light towards your eyes, which are filtered by special glasses you wear. Each lens in the glasses is fine tuned to block out a specific wavelength of light, effectively eliminating one of the reflections bouncing back at you. If you're curious, and want to demonstrate this, try pressing the little switch on the rear view mirror in your car:

37208919.png

That one right there. It'll change the angle of reflection in your mirror which will block out different wave lengths of light. Try shining a flash light behind your car, directly at the mirror, and pressing the switch, and marvel as the light seems to disappear.

The important thing with stereoscopic images, is that they need to get 2 entirely different images to each eye. Glasses-free TVs do this via a matrix of tiny crystals that have enough fidelity to actually direct two different images to each eye. The problem with such TVs is that this creates a viewing cone where the effect can be managed, and anything out of the cone begins to look weird. This is how the 3DS works, and nintendo reasoned that, given the nature of a portable, you'll always be within that viewing cone. However, with regards to a console, If you don't have a TV with this capability, i.e. a normal tv, you'll never achieve iglasses-free 3D. The tv simply outputs only one image.

Now as I said before, there is a sort of trick you can use that'll enable glasses-free "3D," but like I said it is just a trick. I mentioned it earlier in this topic actually - using head tracking to manipulate the image being rendered, and shifting the view point according to the position of the viewer. This creates a pretty realistic illusion of depth when there is movement by the person. The limitations are, however, that once the person's head comes to a rest, the image becomes strikingly 2D again, and you can only create depth INSIDE the screen, not outside. But so long as you track the person's head with enough resolution to pick up minute, tiny changes in position, you can achieve a pretty convincing 3D effect. The reason this works is because we judge depth based on visual cues each eye receives. Static images look 2D because the image never changes, we don't get any additional visual data as we breath and move around. Head tracking provides the user with one of the visual cues we use to decode depth.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I thought it was possible to have more than a single "cone" where the hardware 3D exists - similar to a lenticular hologram card, as you see it from different angles the effect "resets" itself periodically. You see a face fade to a skull and then jump back to face again, etc.

A similar thing can be done with 3D TVs, which is what they mean when they talk about having dozens of viewing angles.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I just read this doesn't work with netflix, and you cant turn on and off your xbox with your voice. I'm out on my purchase till they put it in. Maybe it will be cheaper or deals will pop up when this happens.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    TSR; I wasn't getting confused about 3d, the 360 is capable of generating non-anaglyph 3d. It instead uses either side by side or over and under (I can't remember which), the same as broadcast tv is using, I believe.

It's not the full 3d "frame packed" format that the PS3 now supports, but it works. I don't think there are any games other than Avatar that support it at present but it's theoretically possible.

I'm not sure if Avatar on the 360 outputs at 1080p, side by side (giving a final resolution of roughly 720p) or if it drops the resolution further, outputting side by side at 720p and giving a standard def 3d pic.

For those interested this descibes how it works better than I could.

wp_leftRight_stagger.jpg
    There are 2 different versions of this method, Full or ½. The Side by Side method makes sure that the transmission frame rate remains the same as the original frame rate at 60 Hz or 50 Hz. which is a more compatible scheme for TV broadcasters.

½ Method: For Broadcast content at 1080i/50-60Hz, horizontal left and right material is sub-sampled to half horizontal resolution (960) and stored side by side with each odd and even field shown once. The Display will stretch each side to full width and display them sequentially.

Full Method: For Broadcast content at 1080i/50-60Hz, horizontal left and right material is shown at full resolution (1920) and stored side by side with doubled frame rates. The Display will stretch each side to full width and display them sequentially.

Mr_Grinch on