As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

XBox Kinect: 8 Million Sold and Growing!

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Rohan wrote: »
    Avicus wrote: »
    Rohan wrote: »
    I don't know if anyone has posted these, but they make me giggle, and probably have an element of truth to them -
    MIKUW.png

100623.jpg

The thing with Kinect and Move is that they are just parroting what Nintendo was doing four years ago, they are trying to conquer a market that's already been conquered. What are they going to do when Nintendo announces Wii 2, with improved controls, built-in 3D with no need for glasses, etc.? Also, I'm sure they'll do better this Christmas period alone than any previous console add-on, but console add-ons have a very bad history and in the long-term, I'm not sure either will sell in huge numbers. When it comes to games, well, you have sports games, dance games, fitness games, a Nintendogs rip-off... I'm sure stuff like Milo will be interesting, but there's nothing really there that hasn't already been done years before. As for integration in "hard-core appeal" games like Metal Gear, or whatever, that will only ever be a novelty, a side-attraction to the real meat - the game itself that you play using the traditional controller.

Simply imitating Nintendo is not a good move for Microsoft and Sony, because if they're only just catching up, what has Nintendo been doing behind the scenes for Wii 2?

Well for one, a video game console wouldn't be able to make your tv 3d with or without glasses unless you own already have a 3d tv.

Yeah, I know, so by going by the rumours, it's likely the Wii 2 won't be out for a while. Bit of a problem for Nintendo, but I'm sure 3D isn't the only thing up their sleeve.

It's not a problem for Nintendo, nor is the technology 'up their sleeve', it's out there in the open. 3DTV's will not have a bearing on the "Wii 2" release date. The PS3 is already "3d capable" so it would hardly be an innovative feature worth touting, the (HDMI) 360 is capable of outputting a 3d signal too (See Avatar the game).
    alright, there seems to be a lot of confusion about the technology revolving around 3D. There are two implementations, a hardware implementation, and a software implementation.

Sony's 3D offering works on the hardware side. That is to say, the TV is what is actually making the 3D image. Such a 3D image is created by syncing a pair of shutter glasses to the refresh rate of the television, which displays alternating pictures at the right frequency. This is old technology - the 8 bit Sega Master System did the same thing, using the Sega Scope 3D. This hardware implementation has to do with the signal being sent to the TV.

The 360's solution, however, is software based. It is NOT sending a 3D signal to the TV. Rather than sending data which the TV interprets and creates alternating frames with, the 360 itself creates the 3D image and sends a single kind of image to the TV, which the TV displays without any clue that it's 3D. This is using anaglyph technology - the old trick about red/blue glasses. The way that works is that the colors filter out specific colors in the spectrum, and the image being sent to the TV is actually two separate images bathed in specific colors which get blocked out by each specific side of the glasses.

On the subject of glasses-free 3D, such a solution wouldn't be up to any external box connected to a TV (with an exception which I'll explain later). That implementation is on the hardware side, which is to say that it's up to the TV to figure out how to make a 3D image without glasses. To explain how this works, it's worth detailing how different 3D technologies work. IMAX 3D works in that you have two different projectors which project onto a single screen at specific wavelengths. The screen the project onto bounces back the light towards your eyes, which are filtered by special glasses you wear. Each lens in the glasses is fine tuned to block out a specific wavelength of light, effectively eliminating one of the reflections bouncing back at you. If you're curious, and want to demonstrate this, try pressing the little switch on the rear view mirror in your car:

37208919.png

That one right there. It'll change the angle of reflection in your mirror which will block out different wave lengths of light. Try shining a flash light behind your car, directly at the mirror, and pressing the switch, and marvel as the light seems to disappear.

The important thing with stereoscopic images, is that they need to get 2 entirely different images to each eye. Glasses-free TVs do this via a matrix of tiny crystals that have enough fidelity to actually direct two different images to each eye. The problem with such TVs is that this creates a viewing cone where the effect can be managed, and anything out of the cone begins to look weird. This is how the 3DS works, and nintendo reasoned that, given the nature of a portable, you'll always be within that viewing cone. However, with regards to a console, If you don't have a TV with this capability, i.e. a normal tv, you'll never achieve iglasses-free 3D. The tv simply outputs only one image.

Now as I said before, there is a sort of trick you can use that'll enable glasses-free "3D," but like I said it is just a trick. I mentioned it earlier in this topic actually - using head tracking to manipulate the image being rendered, and shifting the view point according to the position of the viewer. This creates a pretty realistic illusion of depth when there is movement by the person. The limitations are, however, that once the person's head comes to a rest, the image becomes strikingly 2D again, and you can only create depth INSIDE the screen, not outside. But so long as you track the person's head with enough resolution to pick up minute, tiny changes in position, you can achieve a pretty convincing 3D effect. The reason this works is because we judge depth based on visual cues each eye receives. Static images look 2D because the image never changes, we don't get any additional visual data as we breath and move around. Head tracking provides the user with one of the visual cues we use to decode depth.

Slight nitpick, I could be wrong but I think you mean the Imax projection stuff works off of the polarisation of the light, not wavelength. The projectors project with a specific polarisation, which the glasses block depending on which eye that polarisation of light is meant to go into. They're very literally just tweaked polaroid sunglasses.

Changing the wavelength would change the colour of the image. You can filter by wavelength but that's pretty much what the old-style anaglyph glasses did.

subedii on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, Imax uses Linear Polarization (at least in the UK), which is all well and good but if you tilt your head you can lose the 3d perception. RealD (again over here) used in standard cinemas uses circular polarization (Polarized clockwise for the right eye, anti-clockwise for the left) which allows you to tilt your head, look about and still keep the effect.

(I <3 3D)

Some tvs coming out are due to use polarized sceens (a friend got to try them recently) which mean less expensive glasses. I think it's reported there's a bit more ghosting over shutter glasses though.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    I think the 3D TV cone is a cost thing at this point. It could be possible to make a 3D TV with a cone of like 160 degrees of viewing, but that TV would also cost 20,000$ to make.

Which is why I think 3D will take off... once it becomes included standard with the TV without requiring a peripheral. But just like LCDTV, that will have to wait until it's cheap enough to include as a standard feature. LCD and flatscreens were helped by the fact that they take up less space than a CRT (can fit more on a truck) and weigh less (cheaper to drive said truck). 3D tech doesn't really have that advantage.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Waiting to see some Giantbomb Quick Plays of this stuff.

Speaking of motion gaming, have there been any new Move releases? I can't believe Sony would let Kinect launch without putting out a couple new Move games.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Beltaine wrote: »

Speaking of motion gaming, have there been any new Move releases? I can't believe Sony would let Kinect launch without putting out a couple new Move games.

Move died about 3 seconds after launching. I'm looking forward to the same thing happening here.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    doh, yeah, I got polarization confused with wavelength. Haha typing at 5 am, yeeeeah.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Speaking of 3d and getting back on track, I'd be intrigued to see a 3D Kinect game, even just a simple one.

Something with some form of head tracking, ok it'd only work correctly for one person but it's technically possible. It'd be an ultra-niche market right now though, someone with a HDMI 360, with Kinect, with a 3DTV.

It's possible, but I guess not likely.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Move died about 3 seconds after launching. I'm looking forward to the same thing happening here.

Unfortunately it sold really really well, like over 1 million of those 99 dollar bundles in the first month alone.

Anyways, this is a bummer from the Destructoid review, I really assumed I"d be able to use the gestures and voice for my Netflix and movies streaming from my pc. What a monumental oversight.
    So it’s disappointing to find out that Netflix for Xbox 360 was not adapted for use with Kinect, so my dream of starting, stopping, and fast-forwarding a streaming season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer has been crushed. It’s a ridiculous oversight, and I’m sure it’s one that many folks purchasing Kinect will be unhappy to learn. If you’re interested in navigating video with Kinect, your only real option here is Zune. You won’t even be able to navigate your own content via network or if you’ve put files on a USB stick.

Allforce on
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It isn't like they couldn't add netflix support in a future release.

jackal on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Allforce wrote: »
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Unfortunately it sold really really well, like over 1 million of those 99 dollar bundles in the first month alone.

I literally haven't heard a single word about anything Move related since it launched.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    jackal wrote: »
    It isn't like they couldn't add netflix support in a future release.

Yeah but whens that? Fall 2011? They do these big dash updates once a year it seems and rarely jump on fixing obvious problems.

Allforce on
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »
    I don't really see it any different as copying the D-pad or analog stick.

I see move and kinect as more like attempts to stop the monopolisation of motion based gaming, with kinect trying to sell on the gimmick (not in a bad way) of "controller-free" gaming.

I'd buy what you're saying if Microsoft wasn't imitating Wii in almost every way, from launch lineup to marketing. You have clones of some of Nintendo's most successful casual titles - Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit, Mario Kart, Nintendogs and Just Dance. You have Kinect on Oprah and Ellen - I'm surprised there hasn't been a Kinect episode of South Park yet. This doesn't make Kinect bad, but you don't have to be a cynic to realize that Microsoft isn't demonstrating a single original idea.

I think you're looking for the Move thread.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I see move and kinect as more like attempts to stop the monopolisation of motion based gaming, with kinect trying to sell on the gimmick (not in a bad way) of "controller-free" gaming.

I'd buy what you're saying if Microsoft wasn't imitating Wii in almost every way, from launch lineup to marketing. You have clones of some of Nintendo's most successful casual titles - Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Fit, Mario Kart, Nintendogs and Just Dance. You have Kinect on Oprah and Ellen - I'm surprised there hasn't been a Kinect episode of South Park yet. This doesn't make Kinect bad, but you don't have to be a cynic to realize that Microsoft isn't demonstrating a single original idea.

Sony copied the tech, Microsoft copied everything else.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Crossposting this from another forum I frequent:

Welp last night I posted ( on that forum) how much I wanted one and Dance Central for my fiancee. Well she picked up on that and bought one last night as an early Xmas gift for the house. So when I got home there it was waiting for me. BUUUUUUUUT we don't have enough room for it in our apartment it sounds like, so back to the store it goes :(

I'm really annoyed this space requirement wasn't out there way before launch.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Anyways, this is a bummer from the Destructoid review, I really assumed I"d be able to use the gestures and voice for my Netflix and movies streaming from my pc. What a monumental oversight.
    So it’s disappointing to find out that Netflix for Xbox 360 was not adapted for use with Kinect, so my dream of starting, stopping, and fast-forwarding a streaming season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer has been crushed. It’s a ridiculous oversight, and I’m sure it’s one that many folks purchasing Kinect will be unhappy to learn. If you’re interested in navigating video with Kinect, your only real option here is Zune. You won’t even be able to navigate your own content via network or if you’ve put files on a USB stick.

What? Well, there goes the single thing that I thought was cool about it.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Welp last night I posted ( on that forum) how much I wanted one and Dance Central for my fiancee. Well she picked up on that and bought one last night as an early Xmas gift for the house. So when I got home there it was waiting for me. BUUUUUUUUT we don't have enough room for it in our apartment it sounds like, so back to the store it goes :(

It was. Though granted, it wasn't being advertised by MS, but I remember hearing about it pretty early on.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    On the issue of space.

Would it have been so difficult to give it a lens you can change the zoom with a la EyeToy?

A wide-angle setting for small spaces and a regular setting for larger spaces?

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    We just moved into a new house last week and we've got plenty of space (probably 8-9 feet) between the couch and the TV so we're set. Looking forward to giving impressions of Kinect Adventures later today when I pick up the system. Also interested to see if my 3 year old can figure out how to play it.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Move clearly hasn't copied the Wii's marketing, it's been very poorly marketed and the casual audience doesn't know about it. Move hasn't been on Ellen or Oprah. They do have a Wii Sports clone but that's about it, and certainly nothing on the level of Kinect's shameless Xeroxing.

So no, I think he found the right thread.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    We just moved into a new house last week and we've got plenty of space (probably 8-9 feet) between the couch and the TV so we're set. Looking forward to giving impressions of Kinect Adventures later today when I pick up the system. Also interested to see if my 3 year old can figure out how to play it.

A big thing with us was our 4yr old Nephew and my Brother in law who has Down Syndrome (he played the Wii) since we watch them alot

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    On the issue of space.

Would it have been so difficult to give it a lens you can change the zoom with a la EyeToy?

Just another component that could break. I remember the focus ring was always ALWAYS broken on store demo EyeToys.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Er, what is the space required to play? I used assumed if you had any open-ish area available you'd be good. How much room do you need?
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    On the issue of space.

Just another component that could break. I remember the focus ring was always ALWAYS broken on store demo EyeToys.

Mm, but the ring on the eye (and eye toy) is mechanical. Kinect seems pretty advanced, why not add an electronic setting?

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Microsoft's official word is that you have to be 6 feet from the TV minumum, 8 feet optimal. Reviews from several sites have disputed that, saying that they've undershot it and it's more like 10 feet optimal.

They've also been saying that you have to move around a lot, that it is surprising how much space you need around you to make sure you're not kicking ottomans and such.
    endgadget wrote:
    As you'll be reminded at least once every game, Kinect recommends (and at times requires) that you be six to eight feet away from the sensor while in play, with no coffee table or ottoman in your way. This isn't exactly the easiest setup to obtain, especially in apartments and dormitories. We set up the Kinect in multiple locations, and none of them were quite right -- we moved couches, twisted the TV diagonally, even pushed back the sensor a few inches to maximize as much space as possible. Point is, the six feet isn't just a recommendation, it's pretty much a requirement.
    IGN wrote:
    In order to play games and ensure peak performance, users must clear a fairly large space in their room. There must be at least 6 feet between the sensor and the player, 6 feet of width, and any objects obstructing a full view of the player, like coffee tables, must be moved. Additionally, in order for visual recognition and motion tracking to work effectively, Microsoft recommends users play in rooms with bright, even lighting, though our experience showed that just about any lighting environment produces reasonable results.

In realistic home use, however, this can be a pretty tall order. While the minimum distance between the player and the system is listed as 6 feet, multiplayer configurations require at least 8 feet, and taller players will need even more room to be fully captured in frame. Players in full-sized homes may have no issues making room for Kinect, but those in apartments or dorms are likely to have trouble.
    Microsoft claims that six feet of space between you and the Kinect sensor is the minimum distance for playing single-player games, and that’s mostly true. In my personal space, that’s almost exactly what I have, down to the inch. All of the games I tested (with some exceptions within a few titles) were playable without problems, although you should note that whatever is limiting your space (a couch, a wall) is going to make you feel incredibly cramped while playing many of the games, which require movement in almost all directions.

With that said, the eight feet recommended (and necessary) for playing two-player titles is certainly more comfortable, even when you’re playing alone. More reasonably, if you want to comfortably play most of games, consider making seven feet of space your “minimum.”

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think it would be cool if kinect had like, two cameras on it, like maybe one on each end of the bar, and then it could use the extra camera to bi-angulate the players' positions. Wouldn't the depth-perception provided by a dual camera set up allow kinect a verifiable, more accurate level of detail?

They could have even put like, a small microprocessor on the device that would handle the extra calculations needed for the biangulation so there would be little to no risk of compromising the 360's computational power.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Microsoft's official word is that you have to be 6 feet from the TV minumum, 8 feet optimal. Reviews from several sites have disputed that, saying that they've undershot it and it's more like 10 feet optimal.

They've also been saying that you have to move around a lot, that it is surprising how much space you need around you to make sure you're not kicking ottomans and such.

10 feet? Well fuck, there goes any lingering thoughts I had about buying a kinect until I move.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'll buy it because the tech is just so damn cool, I can't help but want to try it out. It'd be my first Xbox 360, kind of glad I waited this long to be honest. Dance Central already looks like a great game, so I'll also get that.

I'm not really worried about how there's no "hardcore" content for it, if you want that, use your controller with the bazillion hardcore games on the 360. What I'm looking for from Kinect is simple casual good times with friends, which I think it will do better than Wii or Move.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I think it would be cool if kinect had like, two cameras on it, like maybe one on each end of the bar, and then it could use the extra camera to bi-angulate the players' positions. Wouldn't the depth-perception provided by a dual camera set up allow kinect a verifiable, more accurate level of detail?

They could have even put like, a small microprocessor on the device that would handle the extra calculations needed for the biangulation so there would be little to no risk of compromising the 360's computational power.

haha that's actually pretty much what the original plans for Kinect was. They dropped the extra processor, which is why kinect lost a bunch of features they claimed it'd have when it was announced.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'm waiting to see the first homebrew'd PC drivers for this thing

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'm waiting to see the first homebrew'd PC drivers for this thing

Isn't it coming to Windows 7 already? And aren't there plans for it to be built in to windows 8?

I don't think we'll need homebrew drivers, I think microsoft will actually supply them, sort of like how they did with the Xbox 360 controller.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Zoolander wrote: »
    What I'm looking for from Kinect is simple casual good times with friends, which I think it will do better than Wii or Move.

Wii and Move already have it beat in that respect - they can handle four player games, and Kinect only does two.

Two full skeletons, that is, apparently it's possible to have four players and just sense some vague motion from each like buzzing in on a game show. But the skeleton system is needed for any serious gaming and that's what all the launch titles support, two players at most.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Wii is the only one of the 3 that supports four players with both pointer and joystick functionality.

Move wand+chuck maxes out at 2 people.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Move clearly hasn't copied the Wii's marketing, it's been very poorly marketed and the casual audience doesn't know about it. Move hasn't been on Ellen or Oprah. They do have a Wii Sports clone but that's about it, and certainly nothing on the level of Kinect's shameless Xeroxing.

So no, I think he found the right thread.

Sorry, you're right. I was being a bit of a goose in that little quip.

I guess I was focusing on the wrong part of his comment. "Copying the Wii in almost every way.". I agree that the launch lineup is mostly derivative. I wouldn't say that Microsoft is copying Nintendo with their marketing however. To say that Microsoft is copying Nintendo by putting their product on Oprah and Ellen is to say that anyone putting their product on those shows is a copycat of one another. Microsoft knows it's target demographic and realizes that they watch those shows. Oprah and Ellen have ridiculous power over the minds of women.

It just bugs me that so many people are calling out Microsoft for copying Sony and Nintendo, yet I see Sony getting far less flak for it's blatant Wiimote ripoff. In fact, I see lots of people all over the internet saying Sony is smart for copying Nintendo because it's a proven tech. It's just a ridiculous case of the pot calling the kettle black.

There's just too much unwarranted hate towards Kinect in general, but that's the internet for you I suppose! I just really want to see the Kinect succeed because it's the right step forward towards video games becoming VR.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well, guess they were bullshitting about the Kinect working fine in Japanese homes, lawl. Not like the Xbox 360 was doing well there, anyways...

Seriously, how hard is it to find a wide angle camera to fit in this thing?

Delta Assault on
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    What I'm looking for from Kinect is simple casual good times with friends, which I think it will do better than Wii or Move.

Wii and Move already have it beat in that respect - they can handle four player games, and Kinect only does two.

Two full skeletons, that is, apparently it's possible to have four players and just sense some vague motion from each like buzzing in on a game show. But the skeleton system is needed for any serious gaming and that's what all the launch titles support, two players at most.

Actually that seems fine to me, I don't think it's a requirement that everyone be playing at the same time for everyone to have fun. Half the fun (maybe more) is watching other people make fools of themselves then getting up and trying to beat them at it. As long as the games are well designed to accommodate people playing in turns, the 2-person limit is fine, maybe even more reasonable than having 4 people trying to play at the same time.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    As long as the games are well designed to accommodate people playing in turns, the 2-person limit is fine, maybe even more reasonable than having 4 people trying to play at the same time.

Oh man...

Remember when the Wii came out and people were smashing their tvs and jacking eachother in the face? 4 person Kinect games would be like that...time a billion. Would make for some funny youtubes though.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Wii is the only one of the 3 that supports four players with both pointer and joystick functionality.

Move wand+chuck maxes out at 2 people.

technically they could have 3.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm still a little hesitant to declare the Move an instant sales success, since Sony keeps telling us the number shipped rather than sold.

Remember all those people who said that the Kinect documentation was just for "optimal" stuff and that space wouldn't be an issue? Yyyyyyeah.

Beyond that the Kinect does look like it has potential, but I'm still a little burned at how third parties took advantage of the Wii's potential.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I like how they're already charging 39.99 for the fucking plastic stand that allows you to clamp the thing to the top of your TV so it stays put. Otherwise your 150 dollar camera just sort of perches up there precariously on your LCD TV while you bounce around the living room.

I know you can put it underneath the TV but for some people it's probably not optimal.

Or you can spend $4 at your local convenience store for some Velcro. I use these for "holding" both a PS3 Eye and a WiiMote sensor. The Wii sensor is actually suspended under my TV, literally "hanging" from the Velcro. I'm not sure how heavy the Kinect is.

http://www.velcro.com/index.php?page=consumer-products-adhesive-backed-sticky-back

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Are there any issues with just sticking the Kinect on a shelf right above the TV or does it actually have to be directly attached to the TV?

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Are there any issues with just sticking the Kinect on a shelf right above the TV or does it actually have to be directly attached to the TV?

I don't see why not, if I get one I'd have to put it on top of the entertainment center since the TV is actually inside the thing.

Allforce on