As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Craft Mines, not War! MINECRAFT

• Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well, work and finals kept me away from gaming for around a month. I see that items can't be healed by dropping anymore, and that my shpynx apparently bothered someone with its incomplete-ness so it was removed. I understand, though I'm kinda bummed I didn't get to finish it.

Oh well.

What else have I missed in my absence? (on the underdark and minecraft in general)

I was sad to see that go.. I wanted to see it completed.

Underdark news: We have a new area (ice cave) and there's been some server event nonsense going on. Completing the event will unlock another area of the map (unknown), and there should be yet another area coming soon.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    EmpiricalEmpirical USARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well, work and finals kept me away from gaming for around a month. I see that items can't be healed by dropping anymore, and that my shpynx apparently bothered someone with its incomplete-ness so it was removed. I understand, though I'm kinda bummed I didn't get to finish it.

Oh well.

What else have I missed in my absence? (on the underdark and minecraft in general)

Wow. Vic just took that Sphinx down today. It had been left unattended for a while and he need to clear space for a park he's building around the Core's lake. Sorry for the loss, you can ask Vic about it. He may be able to coppy from an older save and paste it some where for you.

Empirical on
    Poop nuggets.
  • Options
    dRuNk HiPpidRuNk HiPpi Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    New to the forums. Keep me updated. Thanks :D

dRuNk HiPpi on
    -"Oh mighty Rock, Costello, hear my prayer!
    Surely I am cursed among all dwarves,
    for the earth has stopped yielding unto me her sweet cobblestone!
    Strike as I may upon the rock, all it's wonders disintegrate unto dust!
    Woe is me!"

"Thou shalt use a pickaxe!"
  • Options
    dRuNk HiPpidRuNk HiPpi Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    New to the forums. Keep me updated. Thanks :D

Woe is me!"

dRuNk HiPpi on
    Woe is me!"

• Options
    vernesvernes Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    AaronKI wrote: »

Oh well.

Underdark news: We have a new area (ice cave) and there's been some server event nonsense going on. Completing the event will unlock another area of the map (unknown), and there should be yet another area coming soon.

I don't understand, I have an underdark server url that hasn't worked for a while now.
    What is all this news about underdark all the time?
    Is this some singleplayer underdark you post news about?

vernes on
  • Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So I wanted to get minecraft for my brother, I saw him playing the free outdated version every time I was at home but I wasn't playing it myself nor had I bought it. I go to make an account at the site, buy a gift code, payment goes through but no code, no email, nothing.

Does payment processing generally take a few days or what?

Jutranjo on
  • Options
    KileakKileak Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Jutranjo wrote: »
    So I wanted to get minecraft for my brother, I saw him playing the free outdated version every time I was at home but I wasn't playing it myself nor had I bought it. I go to make an account at the site, buy a gift code, payment goes through but no code, no email, nothing.

Give it some time, back in the ollllld days it would take a few days. give it an hour.

Kileak on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Kileak wrote: »

Give it some time, back in the ollllld days it would take a few days. give it an hour.

I'm too used to steam, I bought the gift code yesterday, would be nice if it got here today :P

Jutranjo on
  • Options
    KileakKileak Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

I'm too used to steam, I bought the gift code yesterday, would be nice if it got here today :P

Still time before christmas. and since i havent seen anyone else with delays in getting their code so its safe to assume it's a fluke.
    That being said, a day is kind of extensive. Toss them an e-mail.

Kileak on
  • Options
    SeanronSeanron GlasgowRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Can a new Minecrafter join the PA server? And is there still space and resources left to build with? :P

Seanron on
    PSN: Seanron - XBL: Seanron - Steam: Seanron
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Still time before christmas. and since i havent seen anyone else with delays in getting their code so its safe to assume it's a fluke.
    That being said, a day is kind of extensive. Toss them an e-mail.

Sent an email, will hopefully get a reply soon. Thanks for the help man.

Jutranjo on
  • Options
    samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Are the commands not working in underdark? Like /kit, /warp, ect.?

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    cobracobra Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    hey0's mod hasnt been updated for beta yet, so any server that usually runs on his mod that is currently running is just using the straight up minecraft server provided by notch, so there are no plugins or anything of the sort

cobra on
  • Options
    AdrastosAdrastos Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I found something interesting today, while wandering aimlessly around in the underdark. I think at least some people have already seen it, but I thought it was worth posting, especially in light of recent events.

Basically, I found a massive cave filled with lightstone mushrooms, including some in the process of pushing their way from the ground. Most of them were on these arms of rock spreading out from a central core. The most interesting thing though, was that the cave was actually on a massive box of bedrock, bringing them to maybe about uberdark level from the actual bedrock. I wonder what might be inside?
    Pics spoilered for size:
    These were taken while frantically building a bridge across to some stairs that ended up going to the uberfortress, because although there were torches, most of the floor was dark, and I got ambushed by skeletons. So they probably don't show the cave in the best way. Think I know how to get back though.
    is.php?i=8875&img=shrrom_cave.jpg
    is.php?i=8876&img=shroom_cave.jpg
    is.php?i=8877&img=scv3_large.jpg
    is.php?i=8878&img=scv4_large.jpg
    is.php?i=8879&img=sv5_large.jpg
    You should be able to see on ^this image just how far above the actual bedrock the box stretches
    is.php?i=8880&img=scv6_large.jpg
    Edit: Hmm, for "medium" quality, those look pretty small, imagebucket.
    Edit2: Bigger images

Adrastos on
    Don't fear the creeper....
    Minecraft username: Adrastos 42
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    vernes wrote: »
    AaronKI wrote: »

Oh well.

I don't understand, I have an underdark server url that hasn't worked for a while now.
    What is all this news about underdark all the time?
    Is this some singleplayer underdark you post news about?

The new IP 212.181.174.57. It can be found again (along with server status) in Vic's sig if you ever lose it.

The "lower your draw distance or you will crash" thing still applies to the new server, and you'll get a lot of lag and a low framerate when you first log on. Just give it a few minutes. Also, since Beta, we've been having trouble with chunks not loading for individual people. If you come upon a giant missing hole in the world, try to either find a way around it. If it's directly in your path, relogging will fix the problem.

Maybe we need a "Here's what you need to know about playing on the underdark" section in the new OP. :P

Edit: Adrastos, that's one of the unfinished areas because of the lighting bug. The one known as "The Void".. few people have seen it in person.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    oh, cool:). Well, I think my hasty bridge probably made it a bit easier to get to. Or should we stay away because of the lighting bug?

Adrastos on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Adrastos wrote: »
    oh, cool:). Well, I think my hasty bridge probably made it a bit easier to get to. Or should we stay away because of the lighting bug?

Every area of the underdark should be safe from the lighting bug, so don't worry about triggering it. I guess it only happens when there's light anywhere below 32 meters from the true bedrock layer. Vic solved this by filling the lower 32 blocks of the map in with a solid chunk of bedrock. While it makes the map playable, it chopped areas like The Void, Hephaestus, and the lower caves of the Uberdark in half. (Though, I don't think the void was complete when this happened.)

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Ah, ok. In that case, here's how to get to it using my bridge:
    1. Go to the uberfortress.
    2.Follow the path to the deep roads (right of the lava flow)
    3.Go past the pitstop and left through the deep roads.
    4. You should come out facing the Void, follow the staircase to the left until you reach the bridge.
    5. That should get you to a small outpost leading to the void proper, filled with monsters.

Also, I uploaded larger versions of the pictures in my post above^.

Adrastos on
  • Options
    D34THROWD34THROW Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Based on testing, though, the lighting bug doesn't happen unless it's natural light (sunlight) hitting an area below 32 blocks above bedrock. Torches shouldn't present an issue...and for some reason or another, I have several pit mines in my SSP worlds that go down to bedrock and are lit by the sun, and I don't get the lighting bug.

D34THROW on
    Minecraft Nickname - D34THROW

Current Server - None.
    Current Project - Surviving in SSP.
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    D34THROW wrote: »
    Based on testing, though, the lighting bug doesn't happen unless it's natural light (sunlight) hitting an area below 32 blocks above bedrock. Torches shouldn't present an issue...and for some reason or another, I have several pit mines in my SSP worlds that go down to bedrock and are lit by the sun, and I don't get the lighting bug.

Size is part of the issue. There's a thread on the MC forums with extensive testing on the issue. Its linked in the get satisfaction thread.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Found another seal, need lightstone and whatever is needed to activate it.

Empirical on
    Poop nuggets.
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Empirical wrote: »
    Found another seal, need lightstone and whatever is needed to activate it.

Zehbrahs brought lightstone to replace the obsidian and I brought a bucket of lava. The second seal has been primed. Wish I could have been there for the discovery.

2010-12-24_1622.jpg

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I also got pushed to my death thanks to AaronKI.

:evil:

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I said I was sorry. Twice. :P

I made a nice wide staircase with a guardrail after that to prevent anyone else from getting bumped off.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    may I get the uberdark IP in a PM?

edit: Uberdark

MrDelish on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Where are these seals found? Just by random tunneling in the Uberdark?

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    MrDelish wrote: »
    may I get the underdark IP in a PM?

You guys are getting lazy. It was 10 posts from the bottom of the previous page and in Vic's sig whenever he posts. :P

The seals: We found the first on the island in the ice cave. Vic said that they weren't in the ice cave, but new chunks were added to the map when he built the ice cave, so I had a feeling that they would be either in the north or northeast corner of the map. A pretty good sized group went exploring earlier today and found one northeast of the ice cave.

So far they all seem to be out in the open, so you just need to explore the dark areas next to the ice cave until you trip over one. There are three more left to find as far as I know.. they may have spotted another already.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    found it

also, someone set fire to a tree farm just now

MrDelish on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Okay, as said above, someone started a fire. Four to be exact: my house, kileaks tree farm (main tree farm), and two smaller ones around the core. So far that seems to be all, and no structural damage seems to have occured, aside from my home (thanks Ham for helping fire proof HQ).

It would also appear he used my Flint and Steel as well.

So just a heads up to all other PA servers, I'm not sure but evidence leads me to believe it was player called "Tpsou".

Empirical on
    Poop nuggets.
  • Options
    MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The main tree farm is already replanted, and growing furiously. And I mean furiously. I was doing some trimming to give the saplings room to grow, and trees were exploding into life faster than I could trim them.

Mars on
  • Options
    VicWhitenVicWhiten Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    What time do people generally play on the Underdark? I'd like to get in on these expeditions and seal shenanigans.

VicWhiten on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ArgusArgus Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Is there a non-Underdark server from PA up? I like caves and all, but I was there for the original underdark, and now I'd really like to see a walled above-ground city of people.

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Found another seal.

Somone crack out the lightstone, we've got some burning to do.

Empirical on
    Poop nuggets.
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I've got 20 lightstone blocks or so, hit me up when I'm on. Nairagorn. Gotta wrap presents, maybe an hour or two.

Fleeb on
  • Options
    rucdocrucdoc Crazy guy in the corner ClassifiedRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    invasion of the Santa hats

rucdoc on
    Original Creepy Janitor

http://www.dust514stats.com
  • Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    And of course I get called away right before the activation of the seal. Bloody holiday guests.

Repost of Vics awesome Underdark map:

Underdarkmap.png

Vic, just curious, how did you make this map? Are all the little cave squiggles accurate?

Fleeb on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    In search of the 5th Seal, I've been going through unexplored areas of the Ice Cave and found 51 iron, 35 gold, and 10 diamonds in two hours. Killed 15 zombies, 3 creepers, 1 spider, 12 skeletons. Still haven't found the seal....

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    In search of the 5th Seal, I've been going through unexplored areas of the Ice Cave and found 51 iron, 35 gold, and 10 diamonds in two hours. Killed 15 zombies, 3 creepers, 1 spider, 12 skeletons. Still haven't found the seal....

Nice work. Keep it up, I still think it is in that corner of the cave somewhere

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    kdrudy wrote: »

Nice work. Keep it up, I still think it is in that corner of the cave somewhere

I was trying to go down and outwards and had to turn back as I was out of picks and torches. But I'm pretty sure you're right. Doesn't seem like there is anything this way except riches and monsters falling from the upper levels. Not bad but I've gotten to the point where it requires 2-3 people to explore the area.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Guys, have you checked out the latest Yogcast minecraft playthroughs? It's.... It's a bit strange.

Kadoken on
This discussion has been closed.