As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My Mouth is in Pain

CimmeriiCimmerii SpaceOperaGhostRegistered User regular
edited January 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Any help is appreciated. The tubes have not been very helpful.

I've been getting canker sores one right after the other for the past couple months. (the sores inside your mouth... not contagious or related to herpes) They seem to be getting progressivley larger, and the latest looks like two stuck together. Once or twice they have been in places where I can barely move my mouth to eat etc.

I haven't changed my eating habits, or anything else the websites suggested except I have been under stress for a while, two months of regular pain is a bit ridiculous tho so I'm not entirely sure its that. :?

I got some crap to put on them that pretty much numbs my mouth, so thats been helping for short periods, but I am looking for something to prevent them and make them go away faster. Supplements or whatever. Any reccomendations welcome.

And rinsing them with salt water is fucking painful and useless. Not doing that anymore.

*Internally Screaming*
Cimmerii on

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Drink some tea

continually drink tea

Also call a dentist

Barcardi on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Doctor. Blood tests.
    Recurrent mouth sores can be a sign of an underlying disease.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I get those from time to time, when I'm stressed out. I think I grind my teeth when I sleep and end up biting my cheek. One thing I found that helps is Listerine or the like (yeah, it's painful). It numbs the sore for a few hours, and my dentist said that by killing the bacteria living in the sore it would end up healing faster anyway.

Of course mine go away within a week and I don't get them very often. Go see a doctor, man.

Fats on
  • Options
    MidshipmanMidshipman Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The stuff specifically marketed for canker sores is usually benzocaine and sometimes a disinfectant as well. It works ok, but is annoying because when you numb the area, it is easier to accidentally bite it, which obviously sets back the healing.

You can also try making a solution with baking soda and swabbing it on the sore. My father used to give me a type of ear-drop solution that was mostly just a basic liquid and analgesic that worked great on canker sores. I wish I could remember what it was called.

Midshipman on
    midshipman.jpg
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    I found not eating enough greens or vegetables caused canker sores when I was younger.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Feral wrote:
    Doctor. Blood tests.
    Recurrent mouth sores can be a sign of an underlying disease.

Word.

Also start flossing regularly and what the other dude said about listerine. Clean that mouth of yours out, make sure you brush twice a day.

Blake T on
  • Options
    oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'll usually just apply baking soda directly to the sore just before I go to sleep. That usually manages to take care of it in a couple days. If it's really fierce I may apply during the day as well.

oldsak on
  • Options
    NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I found not eating enough greens or vegetables caused canker sores when I was younger.
    Someone once told me it was a sign of scurvy, so this makes sense. You might try vitamin C, or eating more fruits & vegies.

Also, I use to take riboflavin (one one of the B-complex, I think B6?) for canker sores, but I'm not sure if that really helped or if it's just a myth. Probably isn't going to hurt you in any case (as long as you don't OD on the stuff).

If you don't think your eating habits have changed, it's probably either stress or a dental problem (a rough tooth causing irritation or one that is starting to decay and holding onto bacteria). It might also be a symptom of some other underlying problem. As someone else suggested, it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a doctor check you out and do some blood tests if possible.

Nerissa on
  • Options
    redpandaredpanda Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    This is what worked for me.... decrease the amount of foods high in citric acid and wash your mouth out with the Blue or Green Listerine (and often). Note: Foods high in acidity (oranges, lemons, etc.) tend to further aggravate canker sores and prevent healing.

If you have had these sores for more than a few weeks without any signs of healing, SEE A DOCTOR NOW!!!!

redpanda on
    vytroxvytrox Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So I have had the same problem in the past.

For me it was teeth grinding which would cause a sore that could never heal because eating etc. would cause it to reopen.

The mouth numbing stuff works ok, but won't help anything help, and will most likely make it take longer since when your mouth is numb you will chew too aggressively and aggravate the sore.

Listerine worked for me, but my dentist told me it was a bad idea since the alcohol can be irritating (which it was.. burned like hell).

He gave me PerioGard (CHLORHEXIDINE). This stuff worked amazingly well. within a few days things were healing. After a week there was no more pain. I think it's prescription only.
    Also if you do grind at night a dentist can make you a night guard.

vytrox on
  • Options
    CimmeriiCimmerii SpaceOperaGhost Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Thanks for the responses!
    vytrox- was the PerioGard a little patch you put over the sore? I think I saw those but needed something I could use at work easily...

I get enough fruits and veggies that I think I'm ok in that respect, but my doctor did reccomend taking some sort of B complex, so I will be doing that... It hasnt been one sore in the same place, I get one, it heals, then I get another over the next few days in a different place.

I was using listerine regularly a while ago. I forgot to get more and never got around to it, so I will do that. If this keeps up over the next few weeks I will go to the doctor.

Cimmerii on
    *Internally Screaming*
  • Options
    Mad JazzMad Jazz gotta go fast AustinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've gotten these fairly often for as long as I can remember. No diseases, good diet, brush regularly, all that. Some people are just more prone to them than others (my mom is, my dad and sister aren't, for example). All you can really do is try not to irritate them, keep them clean, and wait them out. The benzocaine stuff is decent if you can find one that works well and it helps you do your normal stuff. Canker sores just suck, really.

Mad Jazz on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    D.T.D.T. Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I've heard that wetting a tea bag (black tea, specifically) and holding it to the sore for several minutes helps.

Is this a dumb homemade remedy, or is there any validity to it?

D.T. on
    DxTiddy.png
  • Options
    vytroxvytrox Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    PerioGard(<-- brand name Chlorhexidine gluconate is the chemical name) is a prescription mouthwash. I used it 3-4 times a day so it wouldn't be that tough to use it at work. Use it before and after work, then once during your lunch break.

Prescription only though so you would need to see a doctor/dentist.

vytrox on
  • Options
    AlphariusAlpharius Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    bonjella works very well

Alpharius on
    Check out my 40k blog: WarHamSandwich