PAX* Forum Secret Santa 2010
I'm taking over for Moe this year because he's super busy trying to find a "job" so bear with me as I'm totally new at this and pretty much ripping off Moe's old thread.
Also, please remember that just because Moe isn't running this, it doesn't mean he won't BAN YOUR ASS FOREVER
if you do not send a present to your Santee.Signups will close on NOVEMBER 17th.What is?
Just what it sounds like. It's a Secret Santa between your fellow PAX brethren (and sistren). Everyone who signs up will be randomly assigned another participant. You are then tasked to buy that person a gift. As a recipient, you should leave a few hints in your signature (maybe an amazon wishlist link) as to what sort of interests you have.Rules and Info
- International people are allowed. If you would prefer not to get an international person, indicate thusly in your signup post. But depending on how many international folks show up, you may get one anyway. IF YOU ABSOLUTELY CANNOT OR WILL NOT SEND SOMETHING INTERNATIONALLY, DON'T SIGN UP. For the purposes of pairing, Canada will not count as international.
-International Shipping Links: USPS, Customs Forms
-Tips for shipping in and out of Canada
-Remember to allow extra shipping time when shipping outside of your home country
- To sign up post your interest in this thread and send me a private message with Secret Santa in the subject line and your mailing information, e-mail address and international preferences in the body of the private message, like so:
123 Anywhere Lane
Everywhere, NY 12345[email protected]
Will ship anywhere
- Who can sign up?
To keep things fair, only those with a join date earlier than April 15 and more than a handful of posts will be allowed to participate for obvious reasons. Special dispensation can be made for known participants in community events. If you would like to participate and don't fall under the requirements then you will just have to wait until next year. The final say of who can join this activity will be entirely up to the mods so there may be exceptions, but the final word is final. Don't complain if special dispensation is not made for you. This goes for those who may be disincluded as well.
- The deadline for signing up will be November 17th. After that day, Santas will be randomly assigned by computer. You will be sent a private message shortly after with the information of whom you will be drawing a gift for. If nobody knows who you are, you probably will not be allowed to sign up. Nothing personal.
- Recommended gift value is $15-20. Feel free to spend as much as you want, just be aware that the more you spend, the less likely you will receive a gift of equal value. Also, homemade/handmade gifts are allowed (no food please).
- ABSOLUTE FINAL DEADLINE FOR GIFTS RECEIVED IS JANUARY 15! PEOPLE WHO DO NOT SEND GIFTS BY JANUARY 15 WILL BE BANNED, PERMANENTLY. NO EXCEPTIONS. If you are not sure you will be able to send a gift, then don't sign up.
- Do not complain about your gift, conversely, try to send something you think the other person will like.
- You MUST post pictures of your gift when you receive it. No exceptions.
- UNLESS SPECIFIED AS SOMETHING THEY WOULD LIKE, PLEASE DO NOT SEND NSFW GIFTS.
- CAN I SHIP SOMETHING STRAIGHT FROM AMAZON OR SOMETHING?
Yes you can, and it's a good idea to shop at your person's home country's Amazon site (www.amazon.ca for instance) if you want to save a bit on shipping. Be sure and provide a note upon checkout saying who you are, though!
- BE SURE AND SHIP WELL IN ADVANCE
Get your act together NOW and try and ship your stuff by Dec 10th or so to make sure it arrives before the crazy Christmas rush that always happens at the latter half of December.
- general geeky stuff. Shipping can be high so be sure and shop around. Google for discount coupons.www.play-asia.com
- junk from Japan. Nearly everyone likes the little toys they have. Google for discount coupons.www.buy.com
- one of the best places to get used games, books and DVDs.www.square-enix-shop.com
- for that Final Fantasy or RPG fan.www.bigbadtoystore.com
- the absolute best place to get action figures.www.etsy.com
- Land of hand made cool shit.Things to Note:
360 points are not cross-country compatible.
Most consoles are region restricted. The Nintendo DS is a notable exception to this, though.Stalking / General Shopping Help:
If your Santee has a unique forum handle, be sure and Google it. You never know where else s/he might post.
Keep an eye on the systems he owns if you're thinking of buying a game.
If your Santee has a PS3, don't forget it can play Blu-Ray movies.
If your Santee has a XBox Gamer ID, it's not hard to figure out what games he has / likes.
Be creative! We have lives other than video games! Is your Santee taking up an instrument? Does he want to start painting? Does he like tabletop games? Does he seem to like cars? This is your chance to get an interesting gift they hadn't thought of, yet!
Does your Santee have a favorite game, ever? Consider something related to that! Toys, old complete copies, art books, etc. are always fun.
Do you have something in your city / state / country that your Santee doesn't have access to?
Interesting candies, foods, posters / prints, and other various knick-knacks make for good box-stuffers.
If your Santee has a unique name, you never know what you'll find out by Googling him or her! They might have a twitter account or something!
If a lot of this looks familiar to those of you who post elsewhere on these boards, it's because I stole most of this OP from previous Secret Santa threads on other subforums. Still, I think that's everything. Start signing up, people!Secret Santa Participants List:
If you are not on this list, and you think you should be, go back and read the instructions! you've done something wrong.
*This is a community event, no official affiliation exists or is implied
"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels