As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fallout] Super Mutants and Deathclaws and Geckos OH MY

• CojonesCojones Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    mrt144 wrote: »
    Is there any way to side with house
    without effing over the BoS?
    Absolutely not. Destroying the BoS is a necessary part of progression through House's quest chain. Sorry, dude.

Cojones on
    exmac.png
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    C2B wrote: »
    Personally, it translated well in my opinion. Or I just can't see much fault with them.

Cesar argumented well enough and the legions activities didn't bother me that much (considering they are invading forces.) There are upsides already shown in the game (caravans).

How they were portrayed added all up. My main problem with the legion are that their upsides aren't as omnipresent as theyre downsides which really begs for a DLC that plays in legion territory.

As far as the NCR goes in comparison. I can't see their better as rulers. I don't think they could provide protection substantial enough at all and just want to cover as much as possible. Which further leads to much injustice that goes under the hand.

Really the only really evil option in the game is killing Cesar and let the Legate (who is basically everything thats wrong morally with the legion) rule. Because that truly ends in major pain.

Doing stuff to hit a specific ending seems real ass backwards to me, but let's ignore that for a minute.

Legion is essentially a tiny blip on the player's map. As you start the game you are led around through nothing but NCR territory and I, like what I'd think other players do, take on quests as I go along. This means that by the time I meet a legion member i've already done a ton of NCR quests most of which tend to involve shooting at Legion.

By the time you can interact with Legion in any way you have been railroaded to NCR and frankly to me, when role playing, it's hard to take a leap and trust these guys that far in to the game, it just plain isn't natural.

Even if you do try to meta away all of that and try to role play a legion sympathizer it's still fighting that wall where none of them talk to you until much later and the two or three quests you do get are complete "GRRR KILL E'M ALL" quests. You can't even ask around about their back story or politics because they're all brainless drones until you talk to Caesar, but by then it's hard to give a damn about these people any more.

If you want grays, if you want someone to take that leap and see Legion as something other then generic bad guys #867 you can't put all that role playing stuff and lock it in a box behind a wall somewhere.

DanHibiki on
  • JastJast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I've always wondered why I couldn't actually join the NCR. Here I am killing Legion dudes left and right, revealing spies, taking down entire raider gangs, and defending camps. And yet my character is always on the outside, a civilian. It would of been nice to be able to actually join the NCR army, maybe as a Ranger or something. That way it would make sense that the player is still roaming around doing missions instead of standing guard at Camp Forlorn Hope.

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Doing stuff to hit a specific ending seems real ass backwards to me, but let's ignore that for a minute.
    [/B]

I don't exactly get what you mean by this line?

I can see your point but on the other hand like I said I had a totally different experience. Also I wouldn't take Nipton and Nelson as that far into the game. And till this point I actually felt pretty railroaded AGAINST the NCR. Basically everyone till Novac (Naturally Outpost Exception) tells you how much the NCR sucks. Neither Goodsprings nor Primm wants to have anything to do with them and the only reason they are somewhat accepted is because they keep the legion at bay. Which has basically just a very bad reputation for their brutal war tactics.

Furthermore an entire prison of them was overrun by the inmates. The resulting powder gangers just ran around free and the NCR did mostly nothing and excusing it. Nobody seemingly even gave a shit about Goodsprings.

C2B on
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Cojones wrote: »
    Absolutely not. Destroying the BoS is a necessary part of progression through House's quest chain. Sorry, dude.
    Okay, So I'll basically tell house to kick rocks.

mrt144 on
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Does becoming a King or White Glove affect the story/end in any way?

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
    edited December 2010
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Does becoming a King or White Glove affect the story/end in any way?

Haven't seen anything mentioned about the strip's tribes in any of the endings.

DanHibiki on
    edited December 2010
    Figures. What the hell is the point then?

Capt Howdy on
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Figures. What the hell is the point then?

flavor

mrt144 on
    edited December 2010
    I suppose.

So the DLC drops this coming Tuesday? I wonder what cool new gear it offers. Other than mind weapons, of course.

Capt Howdy on
  • l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm really really hoping you get one of those amazing dresses the holographic lady is wearing. I would so put my female charisma/agility thief in that and never look back.

l337CrappyJack on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I completed Boone's quest, went to the 38 and unloaded my gear. I told Boone to take some time off, and went to get Raul. I had a hell of time finishing Crazy, Crazy, because I couldn't get Neil to show up. After a few hours of reloads, I got him to show up, fiddled with the radio, and it was a breeze, but I was getting awfully frustrated.

Raul's quest was cool. He looks hilariously awesome badass.

DouglasDanger on
  • LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Okay, So I'll basically tell house to kick rocks.

This is probably the biggest piss off for me when it comes to the story missions.
    Siding with House, you HAVE to kill the BoS. Siding with the Legion, you HAVE to kill the BoS. There's no way at all to negotiate peace with them, nope, just blow them up.

At least with the Wild Card ending, you get to choose to keep them alive but the Wild Card ending wasn't really my 'favorite' anyways.

Honestly, after everything is said and done I personally think the House ending is my favorite.

Loathing on
    edited December 2010
    Where do you find a dress? I have a companion who would love one. :D

Capt Howdy on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Spring and park wear are dresses, I think. She'll thank you for those.

But the one you're looking for specifically is a
    white glove outfit.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited December 2010
    Yeah, a lot of outfits that look like non-dresses on a male character are dresses on female characters. But Zed has the proper answer in his spoiler.

l337CrappyJack on
    edited December 2010
    Wow. Raul lays down like 5 rounds per second with the cowboy repeater.

Dude is going to run me out of ammo very quickly.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I want to do everything, but I also want to see how things end. I am trying to roleplay my character, rather than do things how I would do them. Lucky Gomez is drug addled explorer who is slowly realizing he controls the future of the Mojave. He thinks House is a genius, but also an asshole. NCR are good-intentioned, but dangerously over-extended. Legion are awful slaver jerks. Lucky will probably go independent. He wants to unite as many faction as possible to kick the Legion out.

How do you ally the NCR and the Brotherhood?

DouglasDanger on
  • milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The legion felt kind of off with me, even moreso once we see their war camp.

The NCR is manufacturing high tech synthetic armors and automatic weapons, the legion is mass producing machetes.

Sure Legion snipers end up showing up, but are they entire reliant on prewar stuff that they found? Do they manufacture high tech goods? I bet there's a document somewhere saying they do, but in game I see an insane group of tribals that charge into gunfire with bladed weapons or to punch people and slaughter entire towns, not a society that could be even remotely functional let alone compete with an enemy who, while having less committed soldiers, outclasses them in every single other way

This, pretty much.

Hell, before the Courier shows up, the Fort's primary weapon looks to be just a single howitzer that doesn't even work (Tell me again how he doesn't turn their entire Mojave campaign around?). The NCR has Vertibirds, man. I know that the Legion's supposed to be this huge threat, but for the most part they wear leather armour, fight with machetes and axes, and have no access to medical treatment; I see no evidence that they wouldn't have their asses handed to them by the NCR, even if they are stretched thin and poorly trained.

milk ducks on
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I can't decide how to play out the story either. I like helping out the NCR and think they are pretty useful, but a lot of the locals don't want them in power. I kind of want to go along with House just because he so obviously has a plan whereas I have none, and doesn't seem to be a jerk, and has basically been looking after Vegas pretty well for a long time. But then I wonder what the independent route would be like. Maybe it would be the best, but I feel like there's a risk I could just screw everything up for everybody.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
    edited December 2010
    smof wrote: »
    I can't decide how to play out the story either. I like helping out the NCR and think they are pretty useful, but a lot of the locals don't want them in power. I kind of want to go along with House just because he so obviously has a plan whereas I have none, and doesn't seem to be a jerk, and has basically been looking after Vegas pretty well for a long time. But then I wonder what the independent route would be like. Maybe it would be the best, but I feel like there's a risk I could just screw everything up for everybody.

What would your character do? That's the real question. Then just make another one and try something different. It's fun!

l337CrappyJack on
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    My character would do whichever helps the most people while allowing me to also snipe the most people.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    milk ducks wrote: »
    The legion felt kind of off with me, even moreso once we see their war camp.

The NCR is manufacturing high tech synthetic armors and automatic weapons, the legion is mass producing machetes.

Sure Legion snipers end up showing up, but are they entire reliant on prewar stuff that they found? Do they manufacture high tech goods? I bet there's a document somewhere saying they do, but in game I see an insane group of tribals that charge into gunfire with bladed weapons or to punch people and slaughter entire towns, not a society that could be even remotely functional let alone compete with an enemy who, while having less committed soldiers, outclasses them in every single other way

This, pretty much.

Hell, before the Courier shows up, the Fort's primary weapon looks to be just a single howitzer that doesn't even work (Tell me again how he doesn't turn their entire Mojave campaign around?). The NCR has Vertibirds, man. I know that the Legion's supposed to be this huge threat, but for the most part they wear leather armour, fight with machetes and axes, and have no access to medical treatment; I see no evidence that they wouldn't have their asses handed to them by the NCR, even if they are stretched thin and poorly trained.

The same way that the NCR was able to make the BoS a non-issue, despite the later having power armor and energy weapons and gauss rifles

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    edited December 2010
    I'd believe the BoS analogy if guns weren't as good if not better then energy weapons.

DanHibiki on
    edited December 2010
    I'd believe the BoS analogy if guns weren't as good if not better then energy weapons.

Boy are you gonna love this patch, then.

l337CrappyJack on
  • milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

BoS didn't exactly have the numbers on their side in that conflict, either.

[edit] The Wiki says they were outnumbered 20-1.

milk ducks on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    When I did a quick Legion run to knock out the cheevos, I learned right quick what it's like to be on the wrong end of the rangers.

I too can't make heads or tails of the fact that these people are not winning. I generally make it a policy to be a belligerent asshole to people who threaten me, but when the ranger showed up and told me I had three days to shape up I was just like yes, ma'am

Elendil on
    edited December 2010
    Elendil wrote: »
    When I did a quick Legion run to knock out the cheevos, I learned right quick what it's like to be on the wrong end of the rangers.

I too can't make heads or tails of the fact that these people are not winning. I generally make it a policy to be a belligerent asshole to people who threaten me, but when the ranger showed up and told me I had three days to shape up I was just like yes, ma'am

When the ranger showed up and told me I had three days to shape up, I went "Cool, I have two more days to wipe the NCR off the map". Then I blew up their leaders.

l337CrappyJack on
    edited December 2010

When the ranger showed up and told me I had three days to shape up, I went "Cool, I have two more days to wipe the NCR off the map". Then I blew up their leaders.
    well this is what I did too

but I was super nice to the ranger lady

Elendil on
    edited December 2010

well this is what I did too

but I was super nice to the ranger lady

Oh, same here.

I guess her and I just had different opinions on what shaping up meant.

I do like that if you mouth off to her, she is completely unimpressed. "Yeah, whatever, you're a hardass. We're coming to kill you in three days. Bye."

l337CrappyJack on
    edited December 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »

white glove outfit.

How do I get it? I think I know who has it, but I'd prefer not to get blood on it.

Wow. Raul lays down like 5 rounds per second with the cowboy repeater.

Dude is going to run me out of ammo very quickly.

Raul is my favorite companion. If only he were better with a machete. ;-)

Capt Howdy on
    edited December 2010

white glove outfit.

How do I get it? I think I know who has it, but I'd prefer not to get blood on it.
    You'll get a couple while doing the Beyond the Beef quest.

Elendil on
  • CojonesCojones Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm now one legion melee run(pretty much piling through the story asap and setting the game to very easy so I don't have to worry about any crap) and close to the end of a house explosives run away from getting a platinum trophy. Oh, and I need to heal TEN THOUSAND DAMAGE using food. The healing via stims one must've taken about twenty minutes of constant healing. How am I meant to get that much food?

Cojones on
    exmac.png
    edited December 2010
    I'm now one legion melee run(pretty much piling through the story asap and setting the game to very easy so I don't have to worry about any crap) and close to the end of a house explosives run away from getting a platinum trophy. Oh, and I need to heal TEN THOUSAND DAMAGE using food. The healing via stims one must've taken about twenty minutes of constant healing. How am I meant to get that much food?

The food trophy is incredibly easy, actually. Take at least one point of damage so you are not at full health. Now eat something in your pip-boy menu; the TOTAL amount of health that would have been healed from that food over time has been added to your "healed by food total". Eating a bunch of food at once in your pip-boy menu will immediately add the entire total of each food item consumed, and so long as you don't exit out of the pipboy menu to allow the healing to take effect, they will all continue to stack. Grab a ton of Brahmin steaks and such, find a body of water to drown a sliver of health, pull up your pipboy and eat every piece of food in your inventory, and your total will skyrocket. Couldn't be simpler.

Also, for the stim one, I recommend putting stimpaks on a hotkey, going underwater so you start drowning, and start pumping stimpaks to keep your health up while your health keeps ticking down. Easy. Assuming you're not on survival mode, at least.

l337CrappyJack on
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The Legion are monsters, the NCR are dicks, House is Andrew Ryan in a can, and you are probably New Vegas' only chance for a fair leader.

That game is great, but the end choice is pretty easy.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
    edited December 2010
    The Legion are monsters, the NCR are dicks, House is Andrew Ryan in a can, and you are probably New Vegas' only chance for a fair leader.

That game is great, but the end choice is pretty easy.

Agreed.

Put Arcade in charge of everything.

l337CrappyJack on
    edited December 2010
    The Followers really needed a bigger role to play.

Best post apocalyptic faction yet.

OptimusZed on

• gnodabgnodab Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Is it just me, or is the VA that plays Fantastic the same guy who played Myron?

If it's that's the case, it only makes me <3 fantastic more

gnodab on
  • never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The Followers really needed a bigger role to play.

Best post apocalyptic faction yet.

Yeah, they are the only faction that I didn't see anything to annoy me.

never die on
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    gnodab wrote: »
    Is it just me, or is the VA that plays Fantastic the same guy who played Myron?

If it's that's the case, it only makes me <3 fantastic more

Myron is Boone, actually; Jason Marsden.

Once you hear it, you can't un-hear it.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine