As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

KOEI Warriors games

• Options
    JellySalmonJellySalmon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    As someone who has played all the main games (no empires or anything), I enjoy Warriors Orochi and Warriors Orochi 2 the most. Being able to swap between 3 characters is great, plenty of generals to defeat on most maps and tons of characters to chose from. Plus the return of my beloved Nu Wa!

I think of the old games, 3 was my favorite. I'm not sure what it was about it was so amazing but all the top tier characters in that game became my favorites.

Gan Ning's Refill 4th weapon + super strong Musou was so fun. Why did they have to nerf it so hard.

Cao Cao, Lu Xun and Nu Wa's Vorpal 4th weapons felt really special at the time. Later on, Vorpal got weaker and everyone could get it, but at the time, they were the bee's knees.

JellySalmon on
    What do you say we take a relaxed attitude towards work and watch the baseball game? The nye Mets are my favorite squadron.
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've sunk about 100 hours into DW Gundam 2. The story mode in the first game is way better, but there's just so many missions and so much to collect in the second. It's ridiculous. Also more of the non-fan-favorite characters, like Uso!

Sengoku Basara 3 is great so far. Much faster and lets you rack up some ridiculous combos. The demo for North Star sucked, but the actual game is much better. Don't even bother with the English voices, though. They don't even yell the attack names in English, just badly pronounced Japanese.

As was brought up earlier, they need to make an American version in this genre. If Dynasty Warriors = Romance of the Three Kingdoms, and Samurai Warriors = Nobunaga's Ambition, then Koei already has the foundation laid for this one.

Revolutionary Warriors = Liberty or Death

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I really liked DWG's system for territory control

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    LordOfMeepLordOfMeep Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    @Reynolds: Koei Canada is developing Warriors: Legends of Troy. It's not quite Liberty or Death Warriors, but it does take place in a very Western setting (The Trojan War, with a lot of the mythology surrounding it as well, like the Greek gods, etc) and is supposed to be bloodier and grittier. Time will tell if it'll be any good, though. It was supposed to come out around this time but it got pushed back into next year.

LordOfMeep on
    SpaceGarSig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, I was going to mention that but forgot when I was distracted searching for a Liberty or Death video. The fact that it's this Canadian offshoot doesn't give me much confidence. I've seen a few videos, and it could be okay...but it seems like even less of a DW-style game than North Star is. Lots of emphasis on blocking and parrying, dueling one person instead of taking out thousands of mooks.

I would love for it to be good, because I'm a fan of that setting. It's also supposed to have full online co-op support, which would be amazing.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I gave the demo for StrikeForce a go, but being a complete noob to the DW games, I had no clue what was going on. All I knew about the game was endless wave of dudes, a couple of mini-bosses, and one big boss fight. Oh, you're super-powered as hell.

The Sengoku Basara video looks like fun, too. Co-op?

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    apparently

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'll be honest, I didn't like the Strikeforce demo at all.

Neither the 360 one, nor the PSP one. I just can't get into it.

Oh, and SB3 is co-op.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I also really didn't like the Strikeforce demo. I really wanted to enjoy it, too, because my friend loves the PSP game.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Glass.CannonGlass.Cannon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I would love an American history version of this, but only if they keep the ridiculous Asain superpowers and continue to ignore historical accuracy if the alternative is more awesome. I want Ben Franklin shooting lightning from his hands, regardless of whether he ever set foot on a battlefield.

Glass.Cannon on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Again, Strikeforce is crazy fun. The demo doesn't really get you into the skill buying, resource hunting and character customization stuff. It's easily the best of the DW games, but hampered terribly by no couch co-op.

Bladestorm is another CRAZY fun DW style game except you don;t equip weapons, you equip troops. And youy unlock lots of different troop types; from archer to magicians to Elephants. And it's set in Europe/France. Love it.

I really like Gundam 2 as well, collecting parts is really fun and the game is tough as nails until you learn to do boost combos. I'm really loving the recent Diablo style levelling system that's been showing up in the last few games as well, The Fist of the North Star game, while weird, makes excellent use of it as did DW6.

As much as I like the massive character choices, I really don't get into the Orochi games as much. You seem to max out your weapons way too fast.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It took me a long time to track down a reasonably priced copy of Bladestorm, but I had a great time with it. The setting and unique combat are great. It's a hard game to just pick up and play, though.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Rise from your grave!

Dynasty Warriors 7 was released today, or yesterday at Best Buy. So far, it seems to be a nice improvement to the DW series. There are plenty of Youtube videos up. Here's some comments I made on SA:
    From playing the first few stages of the Wei campaign, this game steps up the presentation of the story considerably. You don't play the same character through the entire campaign. The character changes depending on the stage of the campaign. There is a bit of strategy in picking your weapons and applying seals (bonuses) to the weapons, as well as unlocking a character's skills (5th attack, 5th power attack, defense+, etc.) It looks like any character can use any weapon, but some will perform better than others depending on the character. There is a weapons vendor between some stages, and you will occasionally find weapons on the field for defeating enemy officers.

The flow between cutscenes, preparation, and battle is pretty slick.

The gameplay hasn't changed much. You still kill massive amounts of dudes with some crazy attacks. The camera is still frustrating at times, but they added an arrow to point to an enemy officer when they go off screen (maybe this was in DW6.) You can mount some fixtures, like turrets and catapults. You can switch between two different weapons on the fly during battle, or you can pause and switch out weapons from the two slots. On the PS3, I haven't found framerate to be a problem, but I may have been too busy killing lots of dudes to notice.

Having never played DW 5 or 6 (but I own and played DW5:E,) I find this to be a remarkable improvement to the series. I haven't played the spinoffs, so I can't compare it to those.

Lu Bu is still a dick.

DW7 Gameplay from GDC

Wei Kingdom EX and Mosou Attacks

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I've been keeping my eye on it quite a bit.

Wal-mart didn't have it today though.

If they don't have it by Thursday, I'll have to go out of town (conveniently I have a day off Thursday).

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I played 5 and skipped 6. I don't know if I'll get around to 7.

Looking forward to Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3, though.

Did anyone buy the SW game for 3DS?

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    While there's no Warriors game set in the US, Koei did develop Bladestorm, which takes place during the Hundred Years War. You create a mercenary and choose to fight with either England or France (or even both). Missions were set up as "contracts" and as you completed more, story missions would appear that would have some kind of loose historical context. Most of the missions were basic "take over X, defend Y" kinds, but I thought it was fun.

The main difference between this game and the Warriors games is that instead of controlling just your character, you controlled a squad of troops. You can join up with a squad on the battlefield with a button push, and eventually hire your own specialized forces. Instead of attacks, buttons would order you and your troops to attack or use abilities unique to the unit type, such as charging if you're commanding cavalry. There's nothing like running around the French countryside leading a squad of samurai while Joan of Arc and her cavalry charges a group of Vikings and Alexandrian elephant forces flank an enemy squad of Chinese crossbowmen.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I played 5 and skipped 6. I don't know if I'll get around to 7.

Looking forward to Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3, though.

Did anyone buy the SW game for 3DS?

I did, but it's the first game in the series I've played so I'm not sure how much my opinion of it would be worth to a real fan. That said, anybody who's curious about feel free to fire away with any questions and I'll do my best to answer, although I'm only a couple missions in.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, I just picked up SW on 3DS, and DW7 on 360.

SW 3D is pretty cool. Graphics are nice, there's more enemies on screen than I expected for a handheld. If you're a Warriors fan, it seems like solid handheld title. I'm only a few missions in though, but I'm enjoying it.

DW7 is great so far. Again, only a few missions in, but I'm glad they returned to the Charge based combat from the Renbu system. Each Dynasty has it's own storyline, with the addition of the later Dynasty of Jin with a bunch of new characters. Each mission has you playing a relevant general. Kind of nice instead of playing the same story as each character to unlock stuff. Story mode doesn't seem to be co-op though, which sucks.

The Conquest mode seems like the lasting appeal, which does support on and offline co-op, which is pretty baller. Appears to be an Empires type deal, which it's cool they included both modes in one game. Take this with a grain of salt, as I haven't actually played Conquest yet.

Plus you can ride a bear mount so there's really no reason not to own DW7

I'll come back with more impressions later on

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    What about Legends of Troy? Did anyone actually pick that up?

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The combat looked really slow, so I'm avoiding it.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hit up K-mart if you guys have one in town. DW7 is $10 off this week.

I'd also like to point out that Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage is pretty rocking.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I would love an American history version of this, but only if they keep the ridiculous Asain superpowers and continue to ignore historical accuracy if the alternative is more awesome. I want Ben Franklin shooting lightning from his hands, regardless of whether he ever set foot on a battlefield.

In the novel, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Guan Yu returns as a ghost to avenge his own death. Its historical fiction, not a historical chronicle.

That said, I prefer it when the series is more historical and close to the source material. The outfits alone in the strikeforce game were enough to dissuade me from purchase. This title kind of snuck up on me, I wasn't aware that a new DW game was out. I will, of course, be all over it. Hopefully, some of the more goofy things from 6, like Lu Bu's.....whatever that was...are gone. Reviews sound promising, as you can expect these games to get panned.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I picked up DW7 and love it so far. Also enjoying Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll which I got for 35$ thanks to some Gamestop shenanigans (used copy with a 20% off used coupon and membership = yes).

Add me for DW7 co-op if you guys like. PSN: kaseius

(c'mon doktari)

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

In the novel, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Guan Yu returns as a ghost to avenge his own death. Its historical fiction, not a historical chronicle.

That said, I prefer it when the series is more historical and close to the source material. The outfits alone in the strikeforce game were enough to dissuade me from purchase. This title kind of snuck up on me, I wasn't aware that a new DW game was out. I will, of course, be all over it. Hopefully, some of the more goofy things from 6, like Lu Bu's.....whatever that was...are gone. Reviews sound promising, as you can expect these games to get panned.

Pretty much everybody who had a weapon swap from 5 -> 6, as far as I can tell, have their original weapon back. There's a few notable exceptions (Gan Ning has a Chain sickle now, Zhu Rong has throwing knives), but Lu Bu definitely has his Halberd back.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, not everyone got their Pre-DW6 weapon back. Cao Ren and Huang Gai did not. Huang Zhong did not (but he uses full bow now). Some people got slightly altered ones (like Yuan Shao has the rapier instead of the broadsword). There are some people who share the same weapons, but each person has a unique EX attack with their original weapon.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Kaseius wrote: »
    I picked up DW7 and love it so far. Also enjoying Trinity: Souls of Zill O'll which I got for 35$ thanks to some Gamestop shenanigans (used copy with a 20% off used coupon and membership = yes).

Add me for DW7 co-op if you guys like. PSN: kaseius

(c'mon doktari)

Damn, I would, but I have it on 360 :(

So far all I've been doing is the Wu campaign on Normal, which is a bit difficult. If you give the enemy generals a chance, they'll mess you up.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Kaseius wrote: »
    (c'mon doktari)

Only current gen console I have is a 360, unfortunately.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What are the titles in this series for PS3? I picked one up a couple months ago but he stores around here have nothing so I think I'm gonna have to do the online thing.

We got Dynasty Warriors the same day as our PS2 back in the day and I basically ignored the rest of my family for the entire day having a blast mindless cutting through cast swaths of Chinese peasants.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What are the titles in this series for PS3? I picked one up a couple months ago but he stores around here have nothing so I think I'm gonna have to do the online thing.

We got Dynasty Warriors the same day as our PS2 back in the day and I basically ignored the rest of my family for the entire day having a blast mindless cutting through cast swaths of Chinese peasants.

S'far as straight-up Dynasty Warriors games goes, there's only Dynasty Warriors 6, Dynasty Warriors 6: Empires, and now Dynasty Warriors 7 for PS3.

Then you've also got Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce, which is like 6, except everybody can turn into a super-saiyan and fly around and such. Originally for PSP, and it kind of shows in the design. It's sort of an acquired taste.

Other games that aren't specifically Dynasty Warriors, but are basically the same genre (but play fairly differently) are the two Dynasty Warriors Gundam games (Basically same concept, except it's a take on the different Gundam series), Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage, Bladestorm: The Hundred Years War (which is fairly different, based on the French/English war, but you don't go it alone, rather you can command different units of troops instead, like PunkBoy said), and Warriors: Legends of Troy, which as far as we know, nobody here really knows much about, aside from it being set during the Trojan War.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »

S'far as straight-up Dynasty Warriors games goes, there's only Dynasty Warriors 6, Dynasty Warriors 6: Empires, and now Dynasty Warriors 7 for PS3.

Then you've also got Dynasty Warriors: Strikeforce, which is like 6, except everybody can turn into a super-saiyan and fly around and such. Originally for PSP, and it kind of shows in the design. It's sort of an acquired taste.

Other games that aren't specifically Dynasty Warriors, but are basically the same genre (but play fairly differently) are the two Dynasty Warriors Gundam games (Basically same concept, except it's a take on the different Gundam series), Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage, Bladestorm: The Hundred Years War (which is fairly different, based on the French/English war, but you don't go it alone, rather you can command different units of troops instead, like PunkBoy said), and Warriors: Legends of Troy, which as far as we know, nobody here really knows much about, aside from it being set during the Trojan War.

Dynasty Warriors 7 is probably gonna be the best bang for your buck though if you'd rather spend quite a bit less I'd personally say go with Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2 unless you have an aversion to giant robots.

Slicer on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The Conquest mode seems like the lasting appeal, which does support on and offline co-op, which is pretty baller. Appears to be an Empires type deal, which it's cool they included both modes in one game. Take this with a grain of salt, as I haven't actually played Conquest yet.
    Really? I'd like to hear a little more about this. I enjoyed the freedom Empires gave me when it came to uniting China.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If Bladestorm had been done straight DW style, I probably wouldn't ever go back to DW again.

However, DW is bloody FUN and running around killing entire platoons of men singlehandedly is a great way to kill a few hours. <3

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Last I checked the release date got pushed way way out. Like 2012. edit: And apparantly the 360 version has been cancelled.

I'm leaving DW7 until I can get it for 30$.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    SW 3DS is pretty good.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Conquest mode is essentially a giant map of missions. There are cities you can go to and make weapons and talk to generals. Some places are "Legends" maps and can only be played by a certain character. Other ones are weapon maps to get unique weapons. Some are for mounts/stats/weapons and other things as well. You essentially start in one place and then you unlock more by finishing missions (all adjacent hexes will activate when you complete one). This is where you unlock most of the characters.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Maaaaannnn all this talk about how good DW7 is is bumming me out a little. I don't own any of the hardware to play the game on.

Maybe they'll make a PC version of the game like they did for DW6, SW2 and WO2. That or a 3DS/NGP port or something.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Last I checked the release date got pushed way way out. Like 2012. edit: And apparantly the 360 version has been cancelled.

I'm leaving DW7 until I can get it for 30$.

You sure? GameStop is telling me I can buy it for PS3 right now.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, Legends of Troy is out. This I am absolutely sure of.

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It got cancelled on 360. Available on PS3 only now.

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Now someone just needs to play it.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png