As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pre-PAX East Gaming Night returns?

• Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Mint wrote: »
    I'm so into playing some dominion!!
    I'm afraid to ask, for fear that I might wind up buying it, but what's Dominion?

Halfazedninja on
    My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    DurinthalDurinthal Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    jma00a1 wrote: »
    Any thing going on at the Seaport for Pre-PAX?

I'll be going there Thursday evening (after 9 PM, I forget exactly when; on the Metal Gear Line of the train group), though given how early that day starts for me I don't know if I'll want to stay up much longer.

Durinthal on
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm afraid to ask, for fear that I might wind up buying it, but what's Dominion?

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/36218/dominion

It's good.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arco wrote: »

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/36218/dominion

It's good.

Hmmmm.... Sounds interesting enough to try

Halfazedninja on

• Options
    ThemiscyraThemiscyra Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    OT, but I just have to say, as someone else with a Power Rangers ringtone, REPRESENT.

Themiscyra on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omegathon Finalist - PAX East 2012 Omeganaut
    After time adrift among open stars
    Among tides of light and to shoals of dust
    I will return to where I began
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Themiscyra wrote: »
    OT, but I just have to say, as someone else with a Power Rangers ringtone, REPRESENT.

Nice. Last year that's how people knew I was around. I swear you were able to hear it from one end of the line room to the other.

Halfazedninja on

• Options
    itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

My buddy and I are staying at the Seaport, we'll have to see what the lobby situation is but I'm planning on having Magic, Zombie Dice, Zombie Fluxx, and normal Fluxx with me.

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • Options
    DanUNGDanUNG Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I shall also be at the Seaport and will be sure to have Pandemic and Munchkin on hand at all times.

DanUNG on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    itzerokewl wrote: »

My buddy and I are staying at the Seaport, we'll have to see what the lobby situation is but I'm planning on having Magic, Zombie Dice, Zombie Fluxx, and normal Fluxx with me.

Is the seaport a different hotel from the Westin?

Halfazedninja on

• Options
    DurinthalDurinthal Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    itzerokewl wrote: »

Is the seaport a different hotel from the Westin?
    Yes, it's a block or two north-ish from the convention center and the Westin. I think you pass it on the way to the metro station, going by the maps.

Durinthal on
  • Options
    trinistandtrinistand Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'd definitely be down for pre-pax gaming as well. Just would need to find a place to park is all.

trinistand on
  • Options
    punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Does any have (or has anyone tried) any of the Lego boardgames (minotaur, Harry Potter, etc)? I've been wanting to try one, but don't want to buy it to find out it's no good. If anyone has one and brings it along, I'd be interested in playing.

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    YES, a board gaming thread! Alyce and I are PAX newbies, but we are board game aficionados! This means we will be showing up on Thursday night with the following games in tow:

Dominion
    Dominion: Seaside
    Railways of the World
    Railways of Europe
    Small World
    Revolution!
    Eketorp
    Chaos in the Old World
    Android
    Cave Troll
    Carcassone

and Twilight Imperium, for anyone who wants to play a 6 hour boardgame the night before PAX :P

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    punzie wrote: »
    Does any have (or has anyone tried) any of the Lego boardgames (minotaur, Harry Potter, etc)? I've been wanting to try one, but don't want to buy it to find out it's no good. If anyone has one and brings it along, I'd be interested in playing.

Not exactly a Lego board game, but Mechaton is a very simplified tabletop wargaming system that uses Lego robots. You can build them however you want, and it's strictly WYSIWYG. Rules are like $10 or something like that. Google it, it's fun!

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    FoggyKnightFoggyKnight Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    trinistand wrote: »
    I'd definitely be down for pre-pax gaming as well. Just would need to find a place to park is all.

The couple I petsat for last week suggested that I either drive down to the Alewife station, park there, and take the train into Boston. It might be cheaper than paying for parking at various in-city places, particularly if we are walking/taking the T (Red Line from Alewife) to get around the city.

Though, since I live close enough, I might try to bribe someone in my family to come down with me and do a drop off/pick up at either end of the weekend instead. Cookies might be involved as well doing some chores.
    Alewife Parking Spaces: 2,733
    Average Weekday Availability: 10%
    Parking Rate: $7.00/day. $8.00/overnight (can park up to 7 days with overnight)
    Accessible Spaces: 24
    Bike Spaces: 174 (I doubt anyone's going to bike in *shiver*)

Managed By: Central Parking
    (617) 695-6356
    Website

Comments:
    Central Parking is responsible for garage snow removal, maintenance and fee collection. Overnight parking is available in the garage (7 days maximum). Height clearance 7' GARAGE INFO: 617-864-2270
    Anywho, I'm down for Pre-PAX gaming too. I have a regular playing deck, as well as DnD books, and a Shadowrun 4.0 basic book.

FoggyKnight on
  • Options
    trinistandtrinistand Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

The couple I petsat for last week suggested that I either drive down to the Alewife station, park there, and take the train into Boston. It might be cheaper than paying for parking at various in-city places, particularly if we are walking/taking the T (Red Line from Alewife) to get around the city.

Though, since I live close enough, I might try to bribe someone in my family to come down with me and do a drop off/pick up at either end of the weekend instead. Cookies might be involved as well doing some chores.

(617) 695-6356
    Website

Comments:
    Central Parking is responsible for garage snow removal, maintenance and fee collection. Overnight parking is available in the garage (7 days maximum). Height clearance 7' GARAGE INFO: 617-864-2270
    Anywho, I'm down for Pre-PAX gaming too. I have a regular playing deck, as well as DnD books, and a Shadowrun 4.0 basic book.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. The only reason I want to drive in is that I'm planning to stay past midnight for all of the post-pax events (and if there's gaming going around). The T stops running around 12-1230am and around that time it's incredibly difficult to find a taxi (I guess the hotel could probably call the taxi, or there may be some waiting on the taxi stand outside the hotel). Last year, I wound up walking back from Hynes to my apartment Sunday morning after the Saturday night concerts. Hoping not to have to do that this year :P

trinistand on
  • Options
    LelldorianxLelldorianx Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Will there be any gaming throughout the weekend? I realize people will be dead tired from PAX itself, but I won't be arriving until Friday morning at around 8 AM, and then I am leaving immediately when PAX ends (bleh, planes).

Anyone interested in playing Frag (Steve Jackson) during the weekend? I love that game. I don't know if I could fit it in a carry-on, though...

Lelldorianx on
    Editor @ GamersNexus.net
  • Options
    MxWoodMxWood Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

(617) 695-6356
    Website

Comments:

Depending on where in NH you live Oak Grove might be a better parking situation its just a couple minutes off 93, but unlike alewife theres no garage, its all outdoors.

MxWood on
  • Options
    Hangover_GloryHangover_Glory Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I really hope to make it to my first pre-pax gaming night. The way you guys talk about it makes it sound like a really good time and you'd be a fool not to partake.

Hangover_Glory on
  • Options
    fennyfenny Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    YES, a board gaming thread! Alyce and I are PAX newbies, but we are board game aficionados! This means we will be showing up on Thursday night with the following games in tow:

Small World

woo!

hubby (skippymchaggis) and I are flying in on Thursday and staying at the Westin connected to the convention center, and we are both totally down for some board gaming Thursday and the rest of the weekend! I'd love to take a peak at Small World - if you guys and anyone else is interested in teaching some noobs how to play.

I think we're going to bring Munchkin with us since that's easy to pack, and I'm trying to decide if I should bring Lego Creationary too.... anyways - I can't wait!

fenny on
    GW2: stella mchaggis / maruette
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Why is there still a question mark in this? There should be no question about gathering in the Westin and gaming until night's mid-end!

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    KnolandKnoland Hungry Hungry Hippo VermontRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I WILL BE THERE! Any chance of warhammer or is that to large?

Knoland on
    PAX EAST 2014: Ticket/Enforcing[x] Hotel [x] Travel [x]
  • Options
    chrismsxchrismsx Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    DOWN!

This is my first PAX and I'm finding the fan thrown events to be much better than the official ones LOL

chrismsx on
  • Options
    nyfilmfestnyfilmfest Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Definitely in, though I won't be in Boston until 9 or so on Thursday night... I'll bring a slew of games as well. <3

nyfilmfest on
  • Options
    OminousLozengeOminousLozenge Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    A buddy of mine and I should be in Boston early enough to take part. Am I correct that this is an open format event - show up whenever, find a game starting up, participate? I figure worst case, we show up while games are going on and hang out, maybe observe, and join in when a new game of something starts up or more people show up looking for a game... is that a reasonable expectation?

Last year was my first PAX, and I was too shy to approach anyone gaming in the lobby, even though I got a room at the hotel attached to the convention building precisely for that reason. Silly, silly me.

OminousLozenge on
    Sometimes I have ideas for things.
  • Options
    FoggyKnightFoggyKnight Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That does sound like a reasonable expectation. I just cleaned my desk this morning and found Minatures DnD tiles, and some graph paper I forgot about, so I might bring that :)

FoggyKnight on
  • Options
    itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    A buddy of mine and I should be in Boston early enough to take part. Am I correct that this is an open format event - show up whenever, find a game starting up, participate? I figure worst case, we show up while games are going on and hang out, maybe observe, and join in when a new game of something starts up or more people show up looking for a game... is that a reasonable expectation?

Last year was my first PAX, and I was too shy to approach anyone gaming in the lobby, even though I got a room at the hotel attached to the convention building precisely for that reason. Silly, silly me.

Last year it was totally open. People just showed up, found a few other random people, found some floor or table space and started playing a game, it was a great time!

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • Options
    Oogre335Oogre335 Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    I know i would love to join. unfortunately ill be at the boston park hotel, but if if theres a game night ill see if i can show up!

Oogre335 on
  • Options
    cyntheticcynthetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Someone said this went until, like, 6am last year, and I'm wondering... would it be acceptable to show up after the pokécrawl? Provided, of course, that I can still stand up, and at least sort-of walk.

cynthetic on
  • Options
    bushnrvnbushnrvn Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I''ll be in the Westin and I will have Zombie Dice, Fluxx, Carcassonne, and Settlers of Catan with me. Maybe some others. LESS THAN 3 WEEKS.

edit: MTG too, as always. :)

bushnrvn on
    PAX Prime 2013 checklist: 4 Day Pass [X] Accommodations [X] Travel [ ] Time Off [X]
  • Options
    stellabambinostellabambino Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I might be running some Happy Birthday, Robot on Thursday as well as during the convention itself. I'm at the Sheraton for the weekend.

stellabambino on
  • Options
    MoccawaiiMoccawaii Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    bushnrvn wrote: »
    I''ll be in the Westin and I will have Zombie Dice, Fluxx, Carcassonne, and Settlers of Catan with me. Maybe some others. LESS THAN 3 WEEKS.

edit: MTG too, as always. :)
    OH MY GOD FLUXX.

It's official. I'm going to be there Thursday, totally hoping I can find you, because I love Fluxx & am totally up for learning everything else. >_<

Moccawaii on
    :!!: My info is in a spoiler 'cause I wrote so much.
    Made you look. :wink:<3
  • Options
    ThemiscyraThemiscyra Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'll be bringing Zombie Dice (can't have too many Zombie Dice!), Kill Doctor Lucky, Save Doctor Lucky, Gloom and...I'll have to see about Castle Ravenloft, it's a bigass game. So psyched for this!

Themiscyra on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omegathon Finalist - PAX East 2012 Omeganaut
    After time adrift among open stars
    Among tides of light and to shoals of dust
    I will return to where I began
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Okay so we're staying at the Boston Park Plaza Hotel, so we should be able to stay as late as we want for gaming night, since we can just walk to our hotel. This means we will be bringing every game in our collection, so no worries on running out of things to play :P

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    KevralynKevralyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Definitely up for some gaming here, and will be bringing along Shadow Hunters for much fun and group antics.

Would like to get in on some Dominion action too, and sample some new games while I'm at it.

Kevralyn on
    Dominic
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BeerNgamingBeerNgaming Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Okay, I'm interested in this, but I'm staying at a hotel a bit further out. But, after I've checked in where I'm staying, I have no problem meeting gamers at other hotels.

Skimming this list, there seems to be mention of a bit going on at a variety of places. Is there a set time and place for a large group of gamers? If it's going to be done on the fly, is there anyone I can get in touch with, or who is willing to contact me to let me know what's happening?

I'm planning on bringing quite a few board games with me, along with some different RPGs I can run quickly and easily.

BeerNgaming on
  • Options
    cyberdeckercyberdecker Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm definitely interested and was thinking about bringing a handful of games. I have:

Dominion (classic, seaside and prosperity)
    Pandemic (awesome co-op game).
    Cash n Guns (imagine playing a game based on the last 15 minutes of Reservoir Dogs)
    Zombie Fluxx
    Munchkin: Imposible
    Munchkin Booty (plus expansion)

The card games are easy to bring. The boxed ones are kind of big. I might be able to be convinced to bring some of them along ;)

cyberdecker on
  • Options
    nollienollie Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This sounds awesome! Me and the hubby are staying a little ways out but we'll be checking in sometime thursday (depending on when we get our lazy asses out of bed for the 6 hour drive...) sounds like its going to be going on mostly at the Westin?
    Never played any card/board games but would love to learn and meet other forumers! I'm sure my fiance will be bringing a few Magic decks and I might bring the WoW tcg cards i have laying around from my collectors editions that I never learned to play.
    SOO EXCITED,1 MORE WEEK!!!!11!!1

nollie on
    Pax East 2012 Omeganaut!
    Pax East '12 checklist: [x] 3 day pass, [x] hotel booked, [x] byoc seat registered, [ ] cookies baked, [ ] omegathon won.
  • Options
    BoneriotBoneriot Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Does this mean i may finally have a chance to play Elder Dragon Highlander (magic the gather format)
    i'm sick of playing my friends same four or five decks!

(if you don't know EDH format is :
    -1 legendary creature
    -100 card deck with only 1 copy of each nonbasic land
    -deck may only contain cards with mana present in the general (said legendary) cost
    -40 health

if you haven't tried it out i highly recommend it. i'll be there thursday night with my decks to play and lend if anyone wants :D

Boneriot on
  • Options
    RappakRappak Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hi! A boston local here. There's Beantown gamers on Monday night at MIT, just check meet up.com. There's also game nights at Pandemonium on Wed night. Pandemonium is a local book and gaming store in Cambridge.

I might be able to join if I get all my Pokemon stuff done.

Rappak on