As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pre-PAX East Gaming Night returns?

• ChaoticaChaotica Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'll try to stop by for this, hopefully I can make it. It sounds like a lot of fun! :) I do live local and have some other games as well if folks would like I can try to bring some of them.

Chaotica on
    -- DJ Chaotica, Split Infinity Radio
    sirlsnr.gif
  • <Omicron-8643><Omicron-8643> Just outside DC. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've come to realize I don't have anything to do Thursday night so I might stop by. I'm not much of a tabletop gamer but that's only because of lack of interest around here.

<Omicron-8643> on
  • ReKillReKill Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    This will be my first PAX, and I figured since I will be in a day early, this would be the best way to kick everything off. Don't have alot of games to bring, save for some Whitewolf books w/ prebuilds, but looking forward to meeting everyone and trying just about anything. :)
    Side Note: Will have my DS and Pokemon Black in case anyone wants to throw down!

ReKill on
  • University OgreUniversity Ogre Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Would anyone be interested in playing a game of Risk?

University Ogre on
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

While I generally hate Risk with the passion of a thousand burning suns, I am more than willing to play a game of Chaos in the Old World.

It's Risk with super powers. And you're not trying to control the world, everyone is trying to destroy it in their own unique way.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • D Versus AD Versus A Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've come to realize I don't have anything to do Thursday night so I might stop by. I'm not much of a tabletop gamer but that's only because of lack of interest around here.

I never even played on tabletop game, So I plan to go and just soak up all this action..Noob style.

D Versus A on
    Friend: Wow..what happened to him?
    Me: He dun goofed.
    Friend: .........What?
  • nyfilmfestnyfilmfest Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    D Versus A wrote: »

I never even played on tabletop game, So I plan to go and just soak up all this action..Noob style.

Seriously, don't let this be an impediment. Board gamers are USED to having to teach newcomers the rules of a given game. We are all too happy to convert you... I mean "teach" you a new game. :^:

I am bringing a lot of lighter, easier to teach games precisely because of this sort of situation. Our kind tend to be about as friendly and helpful as you could imagine. :)

nyfilmfest on
    edited March 2011
    We will be showing up Thursday night, and we'll be bringing a good assortment of lighter games, as well as the more "hardcore" games that last between an hour and a half and two hours.

Don't be worried about not knowing how to play these games, we usually always have 1-2 people who are new to every game we play. Explaining the rules to new players is just part of board gaming.

Spawnbroker on
  • flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yes, please don't think that this is like playing Pictionary or Boggle with your grandparents (although given the right conditions even that can be fun). The types of games that you're going to see on Wed/Thurs nights are social, creative, and often challenging. Most of them aren't going to be like learning Bridge or something. You can learn the mechanics as you go, which is half the fun.

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My friend and I who are going to be going to see Prometheus Bound (a new rock musical in the Cambridge area) the night before PAX, so if we feel up to it we might stop by and say hello, maybe play an intense game of checkers or two.

I read the OP, and it didn't mention a specific place for this. I figure it's in the Westin, but I would rather not be awkwardly wandering around a hotel saying "where can I find the people playing the games" hahaha :P so..... donde esta?

While I generally hate Risk with the passion of a thousand burning suns, I am more than willing to play a game of Chaos in the Old World.

It's Risk with super powers. And you're not trying to control the world, everyone is trying to destroy it in their own unique way.

You would like Diplomacy. It's kind of similar to Risk except less annoying, longer, and brings the slow, soul-sucking paranoia that all your friends will backstab you :D aka fun for the whole family!

RainbowTunnel on
  • f0cusf0cus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So not really having played ANY of these, are there any games people would really encourage me learning? Things to immediately stay away from (Agricola seems not newb friendly, from the consensus of a couple people)? Anyone who would love to teach a new game? Anyone who absolutely doesn't want to teach a new game? etc, etc...

f0cus on
    XBox - Angry Cremepuff
    PSN - AngryCremepuff
    edited March 2011
    f0cus wrote: »
    So not really having played ANY of these, are there any games people would really encourage me learning? Things to immediately stay away from (Agricola seems not newb friendly, from the consensus of a couple people)? Anyone who would love to teach a new game? Anyone who absolutely doesn't want to teach a new game? etc, etc...

Seriously, just show up. Everyone there who is a boardgamer will have at least 5-6 board games that they aren't currently playing, and you will see more games than you thought existed. Someone will let you play a game with them, or offer to teach you.

Spawnbroker on
    edited March 2011
    Seconded... almost every board game session in a gathering like this involves teaching the game to some of the players. You will not be caught with your proverbial pants down if you show up and look for a game.

I'd suggest asking the game owner if the game is rules-heavy and how long the game lasts before it starts. That will give you a sense of what you're getting into, which will help you to judge whether or not you want to commit. 99% of board gamers really don't mind explaining rules or new players...

And, as people have pointed out in this thread... there are plenty of simple, fun games available as well that are going to be fun even if it's your very first time. Just let people know that you're a beginner and you will be in good hands.

nyfilmfest on
  • DeathstalkerDeathstalker Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    I might be able to swing by Thursday night, and I was wondering if anyone plans on getting some D&D together.

I don't have any of my mini's or tiles with me, but I have all the books for 4e (in pdf form for ease of transport), a few sets of dice, and an account for D&D Insider so I can make people characters quickly with the character creator.

If no one is DMing, I'd be willing to run some of the pre-made games on graph paper or whatever/teach new people how to play so you are ready for PAX.

Also, I just really need a pre-PAX D&D fix.

Deathstalker on
  • BoneriotBoneriot Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Deathstalker, i'll count you in on my game if you'd like, got 1 confirm and one maybe as it stands
    will be more than open to stragglers

Boneriot on
    edited March 2011
    Boneriot wrote: »
    Deathstalker, i'll count you in on my game if you'd like, got 1 confirm and one maybe as it stands

Sounds good. I might have a few other people with me, but I'm not sure if they will be playing D&D, I'll try to talk them into it.

What level encounter are you running by the way?

Deathstalker on
    edited March 2011
    Boneriot wrote: »

Sounds good. I might have a few other people with me, but I'm not sure if they will be playing D&D, I'll try to talk them into it.

What level encounter are you running by the way?

level 1, nothing too crazy. i know some beginners/long time returning players expressed interest. geared more towards storyline/unique play then difficulty. may level up once or twice depending on how i decide to scale the evening

Boneriot on
  • JarretttheguyJarretttheguy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My crew and I will be showing up 10ish on Thursday night, we're staying at the Park Plaza, so if anyone is up for gaming there, we'll be there.

Jarretttheguy on
    "In the Emperor's name, forsake this game, and begone!"
  • ReKillReKill Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    I'll be bringing a friend along who is more adept at D&D than I, but if you have room Boneriot, we should be there around 5-6 if you want to help educate a D&D newb like myself.

ReKill on
  • Attack RabbitAttack Rabbit Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    Sounds awesome. I'll be there with 2 or 3 friends in-tow. We're staying at the Seaport, so it will be a brief but chilly trek over. I'll bring my copy of Bananagrams for some fast simultaneous play.

Attack Rabbit on
  • MoccawaiiMoccawaii Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Can someone edit the original post with info? I'm still curious about the when & where on this one. >_<

Moccawaii on
    :!!: My info is in a spoiler 'cause I wrote so much.
    Made you look. :wink:<3
  • wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Moccawaii wrote: »
    Can someone edit the original post with info? I'm still curious about the when & where on this one. >_<
    MelesMeles wrote: »
    Since the Original Poster hasn't come back to update the thread, I'm going to temporarily hijack it based on consensus over the past 5 pages.

This will be at the Westin Waterfront, in the lobby area, from 5 PM till LATE on Wednesday and Thursday Night!!

wobblyheadedbob on
  • JerkfishJerkfish NYCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I changed my mind last second and decided to bring a small carryon bag so I can bring home some swag and merch, and as a result I'll be bringing my wet-erase battle mat for D&D games as well as some minis. I'll be able to play from around 2pm to 7 on thursday.

Jerkfish on
  • WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'll be going (+6).. all I'll have with me is Munchkin and Zombie Dice... sooo let's hope I can hook up with a group or something.

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • FoggyKnightFoggyKnight Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Boneriot and Deathstalker, I may be joining you for the D&D goodness. Not sure what time I'll show up though, I'm driving to Boston and I'm a bit of a newb when it comes to directions.

FoggyKnight on
  • litjrzygrllitjrzygrl Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'd be up to some D&D action.

litjrzygrl on
    I cannot live with out books. - Thomas Jefferson
    edited March 2011
    Alyce and I are still planning on showing up at 5 pm on Thursday and bringing our gaming repertoire. We will be bringing:

Dominion
    Dominion: Seaside
    Revolution!
    Chaos in the Old World
    Small World
    Railways of the World, with Europe expansion
    Last Night on Earth

That should keep us busy for the night :P

Spawnbroker on
    edited March 2011
    Chaos in the Old World

Oooh... I've not played either of these, and would love to try both, either Thurs. night (I don't get there until about 9 p.m.) or some time during the weekend.

nyfilmfest on
  • <Omicron-8643><Omicron-8643> Just outside DC. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh good, I was worried I'd be too noob-y for this event. With the Challenge Coin being tabletop themed, I figured I should become more of a tabletop gamer. :D I'll see everyone there! I'd be down for some very basic D&D or Fluxx but I'd love to pick up Munchkin again- it's been ages since I've played.

<Omicron-8643> on
    edited March 2011
    Boneriot when do you think you'll be starting your D&D game?

Deathstalker on
  • GundabadGundabad PAX East & Unplugged Tabletop Manager NJRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Alyce and I are still planning on showing up at 5 pm on Thursday and bringing our gaming repertoire. We will be bringing:

Dominion
    Revolution!
    Chaos in the Old World
    Small World
    Last Night on Earth

Another great lineup of games there! I was considering bringing Small World but I have reboxed it together with the four expansions and that thing is a heavy brick. Probably not worth the baggage weight.

I'll be bringing:
    Revolution!
    London
    Nightfall
    Pandemic
    IceDice
    Jungle Speed
    Pirate Fluxx
    Red November

Also considering trying to stuff Thunderstone: Dragonspire, Automobile or Zooloretto into a bag. So many games to choose from but I think I've already packed enough. Good mix of small line games and larger/longer titles. For anything else, there's tabletop library.

Gundabad on
    edited March 2011
    The game pretty much hinges on when i get there.
    I'm riding in with someone who has plans to make the Dinner, so honestly probably as soon as we get in i'll head to the westin and make myself comfortable at an area with a table.

i'd say probably somewhere around 5 or 6 ish

i'll be wearing a luchadore mask so you'll know it's me.....

Boneriot on
  • OricalmOricalm MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Unless we can figure out where team Snorlax is setting up camp for the poke-crawl, Myself + 3 may be wandering in around 7ish. Can't say we'll be bringing games but if anyone needs players we'd love to join in.

Oricalm on
    Xbox Live: Oricalm
  • JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    There were people at the Westin tonight, but I heard not many. What's happening tomorrow?

JamesKeenan on
  • Masquerade78Masquerade78 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Gundabad wrote: »

Dominion
    Revolution!
    Chaos in the Old World
    Small World
    Last Night on Earth

Another great lineup of games there! I was considering bringing Small World but I have reboxed it together with the four expansions and that thing is a heavy brick. Probably not worth the baggage weight.

I'll be bringing:
    Revolution!
    London
    Nightfall
    Pandemic
    IceDice
    Jungle Speed
    Pirate Fluxx
    Red November

Also considering trying to stuff Thunderstone: Dragonspire, Automobile or Zooloretto into a bag. So many games to choose from but I think I've already packed enough. Good mix of small line games and larger/longer titles. For anything else, there's tabletop library.

We are quite interested in Nightfall. No matter what, me and mine will be coming to this if there is room for more!

Masquerade78 on
    edited March 2011
    Would anyone be interested in gaming over the weekend as well, maybe in the tabletop gaming areas? I know I could break out Twilight Imperium if there was enough interest.

Spawnbroker on
  • trinistandtrinistand Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just a bit longer....

Here's my packing list:
    Race for the Galaxy
    Zombie Dice
    Thunderstone
    7 Wonders
    Apples to Apples
    San Juan
    Kingdoms
    Citadels
    Stone Age (plus stinky cup)
    Small World
    Power Grid

trinistand on
  • Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My roomie and I should be down there starting sometime around 5-6pm Thursday evening.

I have

Catan
    Munchkin
    Once Upon A Time
    Kill Dr. Lucky
    Deadwood
    Revolution
    Illuminati
    (possibly some others that I forget)

See you all there!

Cultural Geek Girl on
    Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • GundabadGundabad PAX East & Unplugged Tabletop Manager NJRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Gundabad wrote: »
    I'll be bringing:
    Revolution!
    London
    Nightfall
    Pandemic
    IceDice
    Jungle Speed
    Pirate Fluxx
    Red November

We are quite interested in Nightfall. No matter what, me and mine will be coming to this if there is room for more!

I'll have to read the rules to that one on the train then, lol! It just showed up two days ago as a review copy. It comes in a tight little box so it was easy an easy choice to add to the bag. Would be great to get it to the table a few times. Will save me time back home trying to find players so I can crank out the review.

Gundabad on
  • OrodrethOrodreth Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    I'm staying at the Westin and plan on doing some after hours gaming in the hotel lobby/bar area as well.
    Thurs, Fri, Sat 10pm+

I have one suitcase with just games:

Power Grid
    Alhambra
    Dominion
    Princes of Florence
    San Juan
    Guillotine
    Pirateer
    Carcassone Hunters & Gatherers

Look for me with a handlebar mustache and goatee... kinda like Mel:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTF1mnX5HlQzv5D2RNilXMLvnF_QiD0nkjawhPrPurSyME6OKae&t=1