As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me figure out what monitor to get!

sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeeesome more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
Okay, the basics are: sometime this spring I will probably get a new computer and new monitor. I would like the monitor to be a larger model than I use currently: I'm thinking ~23", but I'm open to suggestions.

I plan to use the monitor for gaming (which isn't like, super-important, but if one sucked as a gaming monitor, that would not be awesome) and watching stuff on Hulu (from across a small living room w/ the family), hence the larger size desire. I would also like to be able to hook up a 360/PS3 to it, whether that means disconnecting from the computer or doing something else.

Suggest me!

Walkerdog on MTGO
TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
sportzboytjw on

• Options
    AxleMooreAxleMoore Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Just spend a little more and get a small TV. You can get a really nice 32" for around 300 these days. Probably even less if you can hold off until Black Friday. Or maybe check out NewEgg since they're running their black november sale.

AxleMoore on
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    AxleMoore wrote: »
    Just spend a little more and get a small TV. You can get a really nice 32" for around 300 these days. Probably even less if you can hold off until Black Friday. Or maybe check out NewEgg since they're running their black november sale.

All I can say is make sure it's 1080p.

Anything less and when sitting up close the quality won't be great.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I have 0 desire to get a TV, unless it's usable as my monitor. I don't want the 2nd device. The only stuff we watch, we watch on the computer anyway (netflix, hulu, dvds, etc) and I just want to upgrade in size a little (that's what she said!).

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Pretty much any LCD HDTV with 1:1 pixel mapping works fine as a monitor (though you often need to adjust overscan settings in either your nvidia or ATI control panel --at least, I do) My current setup is 2x24" 1920x1200s that border a 42" 1920x1080. I really enjoy it. Company enjoys it. My cats even enjoy it --they worship the displays with some sort of weird paw-fondling routine.

HDTVs also, for obvious reasons, work really well with 360s/PS3s.

Given that you've already got a 23" display (which I'll assume is 1920x1080) and it sounds like you're media-centric, I'd definitely be looking at HDTVs.

Ego on
    Erik
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Consider getting the monitor of your choice with HDMI input and buy a HDMI switch like this, assuming you have a 360 with HDMI output.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ego wrote: »
    Pretty much any LCD HDTV with 1:1 pixel mapping works fine as a monitor (though you often need to adjust overscan settings in either your nvidia or ATI control panel --at least, I do) My current setup is 2x24" 1920x1200s that border a 42" 1920x1080. I really enjoy it. Company enjoys it. My cats even enjoy it --they worship the displays with some sort of weird paw-fondling routine.

HDTVs also, for obvious reasons, work really well with 360s/PS3s.

Given that you've already got a 23" display (which I'll assume is 1920x1080) and it sounds like you're media-centric, I'd definitely be looking at HDTVs.

He doesn't have a 23" display, he's considering getting one.

Anyway, this spring the crop of displays available and the price points on the displays that are out now will have all changed. I'd recommend doing this thread again closer to the time you plan to buy.

Also, OP, we really need a price range so we know what to recommend. I mean, I love this but if you don't have $1000 to spend on a monitor, then its obviously not for you. My main word of advice when picking a monitor is to stick to Samsung, LG, or Asus. They tend to make very nice displays and aren't badly priced. I'm not a fan of Viewsonic, Acer, or any of the thousands of brand names I've never heard of that undercut the bigger names by $10 - $30.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Sounds good. Price is not "no object", but I'm open to a wide range of suggestions, say, $200-300, $300-500, and $500+.

sportzboytjw on
    Walkerdog on MTGO
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    How interesting/useful are the touchscreen monitors?

I have two monitors right now. One is set, by circumstance, a bit closer than the other. Opening newegg up to look for suggestions, I briefly considered the fact that the primary display is very much touchable. I'm not looking to buy, but rather for feedback -

1) are any of the current offerings as versatile as the iPad?
    2) are they good for gaming?
    3) generic third question that I haven't really thought of yet

Tamin on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    for $200-300 you can get a really nice 24" monitor, like this one.
    If you're using anything less than a 20inch monitor already, this is going to be a HUGE upgrade.

For a little more, $500-600, you could go bigger with this one

Dhalphir on