As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WE HAVE A SERVER! BUY NOW! MINECRAFT!

• Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh, sweet. Thank you Nuka!

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Where is my info for the new server to break!

I cant seem to put that into correct English but whatever

Phasen on
    psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    hiartbill wrote: »
    Anyways, HOVERBOAT spoke to me and told me to do this:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=17256633#post17256633

Hmm, I thought maybe I had gotten you, but it seems I am now the one who must think on this.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    server back up, once again PM me for details.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Man

Playing single player is hard sometimes

I am wandering around a goddamn forest for days trying to find this little lake I built a log cabin next to, because it's a very pretty location surrounded by tons of open air caverns

Also I'm fully loaded up on inventory stuff and I'm out of picks from going down into the largest, scariest cave I've ever found before

So I keep going back and forth and back and forth through this gigantic forest trying to find that goddamn lake and I think I know where it is but hell if I can find it again

Starting to go a little nuts

Maybe that's enough Minecraft for today

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hahahahahahaha, while it was short-lived, watching all those leaves turn into lava was fantastic.

Also,
    Minecraft has crashed!

Minecraft has stopped running because it encountered a problem.

If you wish to report this, please copy this entire text and email it to support@mojang.com.
    Please include a description of what you did when the error occured.

--- BEGIN ERROR REPORT a1dce528
    Generated 11/9/10 9:43 PM

Minecraft: Minecraft Alpha v1.2.1_01
    Java: 1.6.0_22, Sun Microsystems Inc.
    VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (mixed mode), Sun Microsystems Inc.
    LWJGL: 2.4.2
    OpenGL: GeForce GT 330M/PCI/SSE2 version 3.2.0, NVIDIA Corporation

java.lang.NullPointerException
    at d.a(SourceFile:1223)
    at cu.a(SourceFile:758)
    at cx.e_(SourceFile:43)
    at bw.a(SourceFile:46)
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.i(SourceFile:1136)
    at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(SourceFile:596)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
    --- END ERROR REPORT 4e28f65a

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    hiartbillhiartbill Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    49000 lava blocks removed. I'm sorry

hiartbill on
  • Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    my home!

Phasen on
    psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    oh god haha

hiartbill on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Bill gets on and immediately turns all leaves into fire.

Thanks.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Man

Playing single player is hard sometimes

I am wandering around a goddamn forest for days trying to find this little lake I built a log cabin next to, because it's a very pretty location surrounded by tons of open air caverns

Also I'm fully loaded up on inventory stuff and I'm out of picks from going down into the largest, scariest cave I've ever found before

So I keep going back and forth and back and forth through this gigantic forest trying to find that goddamn lake and I think I know where it is but hell if I can find it again

Starting to go a little nuts

Maybe that's enough Minecraft for today

Now I carry a billion torches with me and just lay down a path behind me when I explore, with a prettier path if I'm going to a regular place.

Khavall on
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hiart, despite what you say, I am not sure you got this.

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think I'm just not gonna play until we have our old map. It'll help me recharge and get more done. I gotta swear off New Vegas for a while, as well. I.. *gasp* Got bored with it.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    ah ah ah

ok there's an easier fix than a roll back

NaS: Get mce (command line MCEdit), open the world file and do a degrief.

Shut down the server prior.

hiartbill on
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    rfilyaw wrote: »
    I think I'm just not gonna play until we have our old map. It'll help me recharge and get more done. I gotta swear off New Vegas for a while, as well. I.. *gasp* Got bored with it.

Im switching addictions from minecraft to the new COD, it should keep me entertained until the server situation has been worked out.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The main problem was i couldn't remove both flowing lava and stationary lava at the same time. So I'd stamp out all the stationary, and more would just get made. Or I'd remove all the flowing, and stationary would just re-make it.

Edit: It didn't help that i typed 100 instead of 10 when I was replacing leaves with lava. Small oopsie!

hiartbill on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Here http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14413974/MCE.rar. That's the latest version of it, extract to a folder and run it.

I may be an idiot sometimes, but I know how to fix things quickly :P

hiartbill on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    What Nuka had to do with that water situation was keep changing the flowing stuff into sand until it was all sand up to the source. It took at least 5 changes.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    bill

you might be the nicest dude in the world

but i swear it just seems like you make things more difficult around these parts

redfenix on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    rfilyaw wrote: »
    What Nuka had to do with that water situation was keep changing the flowing stuff into sand until it was all sand up to the source. It took at least 5 changes.

Yeah I think the degrief command in mce is a ton easier and faster :P

hiartbill on
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah never use water or ice to get rid of fire. D:

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I just copied the old world folder over.

And it's back

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    redfenix wrote: »
    bill

but i swear it just seems like you make things more difficult around these parts

...I don't deny it! Part of it was I was just trying to stress the server, but like my forest fire I didn't think it through. There should be a vote every time I decide to do something so people can be like "no that's retarded dont' do it".

hiartbill on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    bill

...I don't deny it! Part of it was I was just trying to stress the server, but like my forest fire I didn't think it through. There should be a vote every time I decide to do something so people can be like "no that's retarded dont' do it",

Being as this is personally a computer I own, I would prefer if you didn't do anything to stress the server except being on it and doing normal minecrafty things.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    bill

...I don't deny it! Part of it was I was just trying to stress the server, but like my forest fire I didn't think it through. There should be a vote every time I decide to do something so people can be like "no that's retarded dont' do it",

Being as this is personally a computer I own, I would prefer if you didn't do anything to stress the server except being on it and doing normal minecrafty things.

:(

hiartbill on
  • Options
    DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    sup homps what's the latest minecraftins

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    ok I'm going to bed, ask someone else now.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    BEARDBEARD Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    derp, NaS sent me a PM but I think it might have been a typo

someone else wanna confirm?

BEARD on
  • Options
    FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Well, it's his personal computer and he's going to sleep, so perhaps he just turned it off? But you can pm me to confirm.

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    animal companionanimal companion xenomortis Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    underwater farm is best farm

animal companion on
    VdxNI.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Remember guys: we just want you playing around on this server as a test. The world most likely will not be carried over, so don't do anything you'd hate losing.

Edit: no massive amounts of tnt, no fire, no lava. We don't have any protections in place at the moment.

hiartbill on
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    A note regarding Minecraft servers:

I've not been able to get the damned thing to run with more than 1GB of RAM allocated to it, which I've been told is a limitation of Java. Likewise, Java doesn't really do multiple cores. Having a dual- or quad- core is sort've a waste unless you're doing other stuff on a machine that is also hosting the server.

Also, if you guys are running hey0, Nuka can just remove fires and stuff nearby with /removenear 51 [range]. A good range to try is around 50.

Ein on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Ein wrote: »
    A note regarding Minecraft servers:

I've not been able to get the damned thing to run with more than 1GB of RAM allocated to it, which I've been told is a limitation of Java. Likewise, Java doesn't really do multiple cores. Having a dual- or quad- core is sort've a waste unless you're doing other stuff on a machine that is also hosting the server.

Also, if you guys are running hey0, Nuka can just remove fires and stuff nearby with /removenear 51 [range]. A good range to try is around 50.

I actually think /removenear is only a part of WorldEdit, which doesn't come standard with hey0 :P Although we do have it.

I've found you can go a little above 1GB (between 1.5GB and 1.8GB), but yeah beyond that I get the VM issues =/ And actually the cores issue is more a problem with the Minecraft server I think. It's not really coded well (hell, it's not even thread-safe). You might even get better performance when using a dual core as opposed to a quad core.

Edit: You could also just try using -XX:+AggressiveHeap. Basically tells java to be as greedy as it possibly can with memory :P Just be careful if you do, it makes it easier for you to run out. Don't use -Xms and -Xmx with -XX:+AggressiveHeap though, they just override each other.

hiartbill on
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This has probably been linked before, but still, if you haven't seen it. Fixes coming some time today.
    Here’s what’s already done for the update:

General fixes:
    * players and mobs in lava or fire no longer spam sound effects
    * getting hit with a higher damage while recovering from a smaller one now works as intended
    * lava flows further in the Nether
    * zombie pigs eventually forgives
    * added support for custom texture packs
    * fixed duplicate buttons when resizing screens
    * zombie pigs and ghasts no longer get hurt by fire or lava
    * fixed volume sliders now saving properly

Multiplayer fixes:
    * hellworld=true no longer overwrites old save chunks. Player positions will still break if you switch it on a running server, though
    * boats are now visible to other players
    * minecarts move nicer
    * fishing kinda sorta works, but needs more work
    * sheep and cows look like sheep and cows now
    * buckets work now
    * fixed stairs being really difficult to destroy
    * increased the timeout before “Took too long to log in”
    * made it possible to ride carts and boats (pigs should work too..)

Zandracon on
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ayep.

I am excited.
    I almost want to skip knitting tomorrow.
    Maybe I won't stay for so long. :P

I finish my texture pack and no one is online, oh well.

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    hey he put minecarts in SMP

Raneados on
  • Options
    FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I wonder if he'll ever port this to a proper coding language, because java is very much not the optimal language for this

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I don't want to morph into DeShadowC here but
    notch wrote:
    Hmph, I hate stumbling blocks like this. Turns out controlling the boat is really difficult to implement well because of latency.

Oh hey, no shit.

theSquid on
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Java's fine for this. The problem is bad code, which is easier to fix in Java than it would be in an unmanaged language. "NullReferenceException at ..." is better than "Oh shit segfault! Fuck!"

jackal on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    jackal wrote: »
    Java's fine for this. The problem is bad code, which is easier to fix in Java than it would be in an unmanaged language. "NullReferenceException at ..." is better than "Oh shit segfault! Fuck!"

Hey I just got a messed up idea. Anyone got... a Solaris server? Would that allow you to exceed 1GiB limitations?

theSquid on
This discussion has been closed.