As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

WE HAVE A SERVER! BUY NOW! MINECRAFT!

• Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah I'm gonna trim up the map and do some mod configuration later on after this thing is actually working. (It will never happen.)

I'm online now, so I'll pop into VNC and check it out, and I'll send you any errors that I find.

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    So, it's up now. Dunno for how long.

I have work to do though right now outside of Minecraft that I've been putting off so I'm working on that now.

I'll keep an eye on the thread though, and I'll start it up again once it goes down.

nuka on
  • Options
    hiartbillhiartbill Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Nuka, could you edit the top of the OP telling people to send me all relevant information on their minecraft client (browser/standalone and what modifications if any) if they notice the server crashing close to when they log on? It's information gathering time!

hiartbill on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Done.

nuka on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Goddamn. Only a day old and at page 10 already.

also I run a vanilla minecraft.exe

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I have an altered texture pack I am running, based on Doku's RPG, Dusty's Terrain Pack, John Smith's and that steam punk one. I used the HD Texture installer thing to install it, plus I'm using that ambient occlusion mod.

I haven't noticed any crashing on log in.

nuka on
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Griswold wrote: »
    Squall wrote: »
    Nuka wrote:
    sisyphus.jpg

is there any way to lime a jpeg?

limesisyphus.png

Squall on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I run a completely vanilla minecraft, no problems on login, I've been able to play upwards of 20 minutes without getting booted.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    FOR THE RECORD

I had to get up early today to drop off my sister at the bus stop so I can drive to my therapy appointment today. I didn't get up early just for Minecraft.

nuka on
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Are torches still suspected of causing issues? If so in what situations may they cause a problem?

edit: Also, vanilla minecraft.

jackal on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    jackal wrote: »
    Are torches still suspected of causing issues? If so in what situations may they cause a problem?

edit: Also, vanilla minecraft.

I think the problem lies in the fact that we have world lighting issues and not from torches or fires or light blocks.

nuka on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Torches aren't issues I don't think. But I'll take any information on what you were doing at the time of a crash. I'm just compiling everything and hoping to see a pattern at this point :P

hiartbill on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I finished my work and the server is up again.

I haven't noticed any errors to send to you bill.

nuka on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Also, server probably down again. Or maybe it's just me.

hiartbill on
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    hiartbill wrote: »
    Torches aren't issues I don't think. But I'll take any information on what you were doing at the time of a crash. I'm just compiling everything and hoping to see a pattern at this point :P

Actually nothing at the time of a crash. I was just wondering about performance. However now that you mention it a crash did occur immediately after I put a ladder on a raw wood block that was in water. I was trying to make a ladder up a pier and didn't think about ladders not interacting well with water (the ladder has been removed since then).

jackal on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Actually nothing at the time of a crash. I was just wondering about performance. However now that you mention it a crash did occur immediately after I put a ladder on a raw wood block that was in water. I was trying to make a ladder up a pier and didn't think about ladders not interacting well with water (the ladder has been removed since then).

Do you remember when this was? If you have a date and the rough time, we could check logs and see what the error was.

hiartbill on
  • Options
    apricotmuffinsapricotmuffins Angry Bee Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    people need to note where they are when it crashes, too.

I am convinced people just don't listen and are still wandering obliviously too close to the voids etc.

apricotmuffins on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    False alarm on the not-working-complex gate. I FIXED IT:
    closedd.gif
    open.png

hiartbill on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Sorry, I didn't think much of it at the time, so I'm not really sure when it was. I do remember it was one of the crashes where inventories messed up because I had just got about 10 stacks of dirt from Twixxo and they weren't in my inventory when it came back up.

jackal on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Sorry, I didn't think much of it at the time, so I'm not really sure when it was. I do remember it was one of the crashes where inventories messed up because I had just got about 10 stacks of dirt from Twixxo and they weren't in my inventory when it came back up.

Inventory thing may be because saving was messed up the past few days. We fixed that last night, and it now notifies you when a save is in progress (so you don't think it was just lag).

Was the crash before sunday?

hiartbill on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I think it was Sunday.

jackal on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Before or after my forest fire breaking the server?

hiartbill on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    before (or at least in the morning. If it was on Sunday, which I'm pretty sure about, then it would be the morning).

jackal on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    before (or at least in the morning. If it was on Sunday, which I'm pretty sure about, then it would be the morning).

Nuka, do you still have the old logs folder from before we re-installed the server? I'll need to look at the logs in that one if you'd be so kind.

hiartbill on
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Nuka wrote:
    sisyphus.jpg

For real

call this server the Sisyphean Endeavor ++

Seriously on
  • Options
    AvetreAvetre Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The server crashed on me- or possibly just disconnected me, I'm not entirely sure- after I tried a /warp David. I fell through the ground for a bit, and when I stopped, I was in a dungeon that was apparently open to the pit. The chunk I was on and a few chunks to either side had loaded, but nothing else. I could walk around just fine, but chat didn't work. I was the only one on, as far as I know.

Avetre on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Avetre wrote: »
    The server crashed on me- or possibly just disconnected me, I'm not entirely sure- after I tried a /warp David. I fell through the ground for a bit, and when I stopped, I was in a dungeon that was apparently open to the pit. The chunk I was on and a few chunks to either side had loaded, but nothing else. I could walk around just fine, but chat didn't work. I was the only one on, as far as I know.

Just now? If not, do you remember the rough time/day?

hiartbill on
  • Options
    AvetreAvetre Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It was about 6:20, when I edited my last post. I'm running the standalone client, unmodified except for the Painterly pack.

Avetre on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Nuka, do you still have the old logs folder from before we re-installed the server? I'll need to look at the logs in that one if you'd be so kind.

I do, I will send them to you when I get home.

nuka on
  • Options
    rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm pretty much always in my underwater lair when the server is running awesome and when it craps itself, so no difference there.

I too figured that it's not so much how many people are on (which still may play a part), but the fact that when you have more people on it's more likely that one of them is somewhere that is fucking things up for everyone.

Also if everyone hasn't noticed there is almost always a short lag spike when someone joins and then that usually clears up, sometimes it's the start of the server going to crap and that makes me think they're near a void or something.

Basically I feel a large part of the problem (totally uneducated guess) is from the server having issues loading chunks for people, the voids are vast so if someone is there it's trying to load all that area and shitting itself, the particles from a mass fire equals shitting itself. So it's also possible that over a certain amount of people being on at once makes it do the same thing simply out of increased activity.

This all amounts to the server not being able to handle the demands of the game anymore due to inefficient programming or memory leaks or some such hocus pocus, which is the fault of Notch and his constantly adding/changing things instead of fixing the things that are already there.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There was a thing on the Minecraft forums a little while back where clients running on Windows XP were crashing far more often and causing more issues on servers.

premium on
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Official skin pack support, coming tomorrow: http://i.imgur.com/7qB8w.png

skettios on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2010
    skettios wrote: »

that's wonderful

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    i heard notch has just bought a 3D monitor and glasses so he can develop real stereoscopic 3D support soon.

I'm not usually one to complain and so far i've been fine with the update as and when they happen, but HASNT HE GOT MORE IMPORTANT ISSUES?!

apricotmuffins on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    premium wrote: »
    There was a thing on the Minecraft forums a little while back where clients running on Windows XP were crashing far more often and causing more issues on servers.

i run on windows xp and I havent caused any crashes i can think of. I've been on when its been perfect conditions, for a fair few hours.

DONT BLAME US CHEAPSKATES

apricotmuffins on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'm almost positive the issue lies with modified clients (not including texture packs, although there may be an obscure pack someone is using that is causing issues). The lag on someone joining is probably related to this at least partly, but it may not be their fault.

Basically, if your client is modified and the server crashes/lags when you join or when you're on, I'm asking you to start using the browser version or an unmodified client. Just temporarily until we can figure out exactly what the issue is. Backup your shit so you can restore it when we solve the problem.

hiartbill on
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    skettios wrote: »

that's wonderful

Slight catch, but still cool
    notch wrote:
    The only officially supported size is 16x16. Unofficially (without any guarantee of buglessness), I will support higher.

skettios on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'm going to refine my previous statement by including any texture pack that uses resolutions greater than 16x16. If you're at 32x32 or greater, please go to an unmodified client for now. I'm sorry if this affects your enjoyment of the game, but I'd rather figure out how to stabilize the server.

hiartbill on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2010
    i heard notch has just bought a 3D monitor and glasses so he can develop real stereoscopic 3D support soon.

I'm not usually one to complain and so far i've been fine with the update as and when they happen, but HASNT HE GOT MORE IMPORTANT ISSUES?!
    why the fuck would you care how he spends his money

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    No need to be an ass, i dont care. its the fact he's all 3D DEVELOPMENT WOO

doesnt that come secondary to making the game stable?

apricotmuffins on
This discussion has been closed.