As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Four[chat] City

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    T: winky I have been reading more things and find myself disagreeing more and more with dawkin's gene-centrism

but also i kind of think the argument is useless semantics in a way

I disagree with you on both counts.

I think we should argue about it because I just recently finished the selfish gene.

Well my main criticism (and I know you commented on this a bit ago) is that selection doesn't really act on genes

I mean surely genes code for traits that are acted on by selection, but I feel the gene-centered view is a bit too...theoretical? That isn't the word...to me it seems like if you say that this gene was more successful than another, it isn't really true. The gene by itself wasn't successful, it was what the gene coded for that was successful. Like, take a fish with an antifreeze protein in the blood. The antifreeze phenotype (or lack thereof) is what determines the success of the fish. The antifreeze gene doesn't necessarily determine success. What if gene expression is interrupted? Then you could HAVE the gene, but selection wouldn't be operating on it anymore, it would be operating on the expressed phenotype.

Man this is kind of rambling, but I am trying to sort through data unrelated to this

You see, but you're still thinking of the organism as the unit there. The organism is the environment for the gene, and is putting selective pressure on the gene itself. If there is some collection of factors that is preventing expression, then the gene is being selected against (granted, of course, the gene is actually benefiting the organism's survival when expressed). The gene (or in this case, more accurately, gene complex) will feel a selective pressure towards expressing despite whatever factors are preventing it.

Anyway, the idea behind the gene being the unit is that it's what specifically holds the information to create anything in the organism. It doesn't matter how massively successful an organism is at survival if its genetic code isn't passed on. There's got to be a better way of explaining this point, I should dwell on it.

Winky on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Echo wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    FUCK MORNING WOOD

Goddamn morning wood that never goes away and you still need to take a piss!

Sitting there bent double so you can maybe kinda-sorta point your dick below the horizon

all consumed with hatred for the cunt who designed modern toilets

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    ARRRRGH

Do you guys ever sit down to pee

And then you start peeing, but your penis is aimed too high

And you accidentally pee into the space between the toilet bowl and the seat

And you end up pissing all over the floor but you don't notice it until your feet are all wet?

UGH

ugh I HATE THIS

FUCK MORNING WOOD

you guys are goddam retarded geese

i mean it isn't your fault you have wangs that look like corkscrews but you figure at this age you would know how to use them

geese all bein dumb
    fark u shaz

tyrannus on
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The worst is when you're tired and you've got morning wood and you sit down on the toilet to go pee and then your wang rises before you can really get going and it hits the cold underside of the seat, waking you up with a jolt and the knowledge that your dick just touched a spot that just cannot be trusted for being clean.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    itt a bunch of males who never learned "the lean".

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    also winky it must be noted that i have like, the biggest posthumous crush on Gould

I am totally Team Dawkins, I have to admit.

Winky on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    ARRRRGH

And you end up pissing all over the floor but you don't notice it until your feet are all wet?

UGH

ugh I HATE THIS

FUCK MORNING WOOD

I know! And it only happens then because you're tired enough for it to happen!

What the fuck you sit down to pee I don't see the problem here.

that is what we're talking about here. You sit down because you're tired and drunk or sick or whatever

and then you aim too high because you're not thinking about it and it goes through the gap beetween seat and bowl and urgh

and you're not in any mood to deal with that at all

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm going to ask for a hundred yards of soft pink quilt for Christmas.

Then I'll sow a giant vagina costume for Choco and a giant dick costume for me and I'll bend over and run at him from across the room and make airplane noises.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The Cat wrote: »
    Every time a woman argues for a feminist point of view, she is always told to stop being so touchy, or emotional, or irrational.

It's a really nasty bit of rhetoric and it drives me insane.

Also, being told how to post by someone who i don't even know? unimpressed, don't care if it was "joking", and fairly convinced that claiming it was a joke was just backtracking anyway.

but enough about that. more billy connolly!

I rather liked his part in Series of Unfortunate Events.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Daxon wrote: »
    Every time a woman argues for a feminist point of view, she is always told to stop being so touchy, or emotional, or irrational.

It's a really nasty bit of rhetoric and it drives me insane.

Y'know hysteria derives its name from the Greek word for uterus.

That only women have.

Seriously womens get all up ins and hysterical all the times.

Sheesh.
    The "cure" for hysteria in the late 1800s and early 1900s was basically the doctor finger-banging the woman.

Also, sometimes vibrators.

220px-Vibration-is-life.jpg

I like how they show the women using it on their back and head.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

i know right

Arch on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    tyrannus wrote: »
    ARRRRGH

UGH

ugh I HATE THIS

FUCK MORNING WOOD

you guys are goddam retarded geese

i mean it isn't your fault you have wangs that look like corkscrews but you figure at this age you would know how to use them

geese all bein dumb
    fark u shaz

o ya?!

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The worst is when you're tired and you've got morning wood and you sit down on the toilet to go pee and then your wang rises before you can really get going and it hits the cold underside of the seat, waking you up with a jolt and the knowledge that your dick just touched a spot that just cannot be trusted for being clean.

I PUT MY MOUTH ON THAT PENIS D:D:D:D:D:

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    ARRRRGH

UGH

I've done this exactly once. Three weeks ago.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

argh, fitting morning wood inside a toilet bowl is urgh

the worst game of operation, played in worst circumstances

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010

or the lunge! it's not as active as it sounds.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

This is how penises work! You need to know the risks!

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    tyrannus wrote: »

or the lunge! it's not as active as it sounds.

Now all I can think of is doing the exercise and thrusting towards the toilet as I piss

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'm going to ask for a hundred yards of soft pink quilt for Christmas.

Then I'll sow a giant vagina costume for Choco and a giant dick costume for me and I'll bend over and run at him from across the room and make airplane noises.

ITT all of chat will never forget to knock on cass' and chocos door ever again

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010

this i understand

it's even worse because your bodys natural reaction to really really needing to hold in a piss is to get a boner

so if you reallllly need to pee then you might do that too

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I wonder about the fingerbanging hysteria cures

did the doctors actually think they were helping women

or did they just want to finger women by abusing their authority

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Arch I'm gonna go take a shower and go to class, but I really want to resume this discussion later. A thread about it might be neat, we haven't had an evolution thread in a while.

Winky on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    but seriously, patriarchy

what the hell

why have we made toilets in a way that is not incredibly practical for us and useless for the females?

what's up with that?

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

It isn't like I don't wash it after. :P

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    T: winky I have been reading more things and find myself disagreeing more and more with dawkin's gene-centrism

but also i kind of think the argument is useless semantics in a way

I disagree with you on both counts.

I think we should argue about it because I just recently finished the selfish gene.

Well my main criticism (and I know you commented on this a bit ago) is that selection doesn't really act on genes

I mean surely genes code for traits that are acted on by selection, but I feel the gene-centered view is a bit too...theoretical? That isn't the word...to me it seems like if you say that this gene was more successful than another, it isn't really true. The gene by itself wasn't successful, it was what the gene coded for that was successful. Like, take a fish with an antifreeze protein in the blood. The antifreeze phenotype (or lack thereof) is what determines the success of the fish. The antifreeze gene doesn't necessarily determine success. What if gene expression is interrupted? Then you could HAVE the gene, but selection wouldn't be operating on it anymore, it would be operating on the expressed phenotype.

Man this is kind of rambling, but I am trying to sort through data unrelated to this

You see, but you're still thinking of the organism as the unit there. The organism is the environment for the gene, and is putting selective pressure on the gene itself. If there is some collection of factors that is preventing expression, then the gene is being selected against (granted, of course, the gene is actually benefiting the organism's survival when expressed). The gene (or in this case, more accurately, gene complex) will feel a selective pressure towards expressing despite whatever factors are preventing it.

Anyway, the idea behind the gene being the unit is that it's what specifically holds the information to create anything in the organism. It doesn't matter how massively successful an organism is at survival if its genetic code isn't passed on. There's got to be a better way of explaining this point, I should dwell on it.

I guess by analogy we don't select video games solely on the quality of their code, but by how all of the code works together.

And I think if you go out and say "well the gene as the unit of selection really applies to all the genes and genetic complexes and interactions in an organism"

well seems to me you aren't really talking about genes as the unit of selection anymore, which is why I feel this is sort of a semantic battle at best, and at worst is a useless argument in the vein of the cis-regulatory/protein coding argument currently gracing Evolutionary Developmental biology.

Arch on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

this i understand

it's even worse because your bodys natural reaction to really really needing to hold in a piss is to get a boner

so if you reallllly need to pee then you might do that too

Solution: pee in the shower.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    boner piss fingerbang hysteria chat

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    edited November 2010

It's exactly like that.

We never wash it after, Cass.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Arch I'm gonna go take a shower and go to class, but I really want to resume this discussion later. A thread about it might be neat, we haven't had an evolution thread in a while.

Hmmm!

Arch on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I'm going to go with option 2 here.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Remember the H/A thread with the lady who's husband would piss on her in the shower and then spread his asscheeks and all the shit from his unwiped ass would rain on her?

• Options
    edited November 2010

There were almost certainly both types.

Now whether it originated with one or the other, I don't really know.

Winky on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »

It's exactly like that.

yeah why would we we're not putting our mouths on it

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

My recollection of history was that in the Victorian times many society women went for repeated, seemingly unnecessary treatments.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    when i pee i am always painfully aware of where my donger is

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »

It's exactly like that.

yeah why would we we're not putting our mouths on it

That may or may not apply to Choco.

• Options
    edited November 2010
    boner piss fingerbang hysteria chat

Just a typical day here in D&D!

Also EM I would be willing to bet that in addition to curing women of histeria by fingerbanging them, olde-time doctors probably proscribed a lot of dick. As an in-office treatment.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Hmmm!

I thought that this was a part of the peeing conversation and wondered if you were actually going to make a thread on the evolution of penises in a peeing context.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

from what I understand doctors found it a pain in the ass and it took too long

thus the vibrator

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    peeing by sonar = oh my

can't be assed to turn on the light at 3:00am

tyrannus on
This discussion has been closed.