As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New Vegas Thread. Lonesome Road Trailer. DLC coming later this month.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    What the fuck?
    I was wandering and stumbled on The Thorn. Being the Mandingo that I am, I decided to fight 3 Giant Radscorpions. After killing them I noticed I was still being hit. The fucking guard was shooting me. I had to kill all of the guards and Red Lucy.

I think it must have been a glitch or something.

put your gun away when shit like that happens

That sounds like the pussy thing to do.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    What the fuck?
    I was wandering and stumbled on The Thorn. Being the Mandingo that I am, I decided to fight 3 Giant Radscorpions. After killing them I noticed I was still being hit. The fucking guard was shooting me. I had to kill all of the guards and Red Lucy.

That reminds me of the time I walked into the Fire Station in Camp Searchlight and the Queen Radscorpion tried to fuck my world up.

godmode on
  • ShrieveShrieve Game Designer CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    After Zen's prodding I finally bought the game off of steam; fucken loving it.

I've been wandering around a bit, however storyline wise I just completed the rocket factory and ended up at the solar power plant.

I added a couple of mods as well, however I think I'm waiting for that texture pack to be NV approved. Has anyone who used it seen a real heavy performance hit?

And speaking of texture packs... Are there any equivalents to the FO3 mods that alter everyone's faces to not look like shit?

Shrieve on
    FkbtS.png
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    What the fuck?

put your gun away when shit like that happens

I have never actually managed to get a fight to stop by putting my gun away. Everytime I've tried I end up just standing there for a while getting pummelled with their tiny bullets.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Shrieve wrote: »
    After Zen's prodding I finally bought the game off of steam; fucken loving it.

I've been wandering around a bit, however storyline wise I just completed the rocket factory and ended up at the solar power plant.

I added a couple of mods as well, however I think I'm waiting for that texture pack to be NV approved. Has anyone who used it seen a real heavy performance hit?

And speaking of texture packs... Are there any equivalents to the FO3 mods that alter everyone's faces to not look like shit?

The texture pack installer scrip works fine with New Vegas. All it does is replace the textures that are in both games.

I haven't had any real noticeable performance hit with it.

I haven't seen a mod that redesigns NPC faces yet either.

edit:

Also as long as you use the installer script you can easily uninstall NMCs texture pack when a full NV mod comes out

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I wonder why Cass' face seems roughly twice as good as everyone elses

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    booze

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
    edited November 2010
    It isn't a situation like with default Shepard, Liara and Morrigan is it?

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Are there any good unique melee weapons that dont come with a preorder pack?

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
  • HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There's a special named Super sledge in Charleston Cave.

Huntera on
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    this is the first I've actually used an anti-materiel rifle
    holy crap, it sends corpses flying

also hilarious: (cass quest)
    kill the van graffs
    this is my first time going in there, so the businessman is there. he doesn't get turned to ash because I blow the head off a guard the moment I enter the room.

so in an extended firefight everyone but me and cass dies, while this guy just cowers
    when it's all over, he stands up, and says to me "you people are crazy!"
    I start looting the tables
    "I'm getting out of here!" he says

and before I can even move, cass blows his head off.

just, damn, cass
    that's ice cold

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
    edited November 2010
    FirmSkater wrote: »
    Are there any good unique melee weapons that dont come with a preorder pack?

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Chance's_Knife

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Knock-Knock

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Chopper

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Liberator

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Oh_Baby!

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/The_Humble_Cudgel

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Nephi's_Golf_Driver

The best melee weapons are not unique, though. That would be the Thermic Lance and the chainsaw.

There are some nice unarmed weapons. Some that ignore armor like the deathclaw gauntlet in F03 and some that don't kill people.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    this is the first I've actually used an anti-materiel rifle
    holy crap, it sends corpses flying

also hilarious: (cass quest)
    kill the van graffs
    this is my first time going in there, so the businessman is there. he doesn't get turned to ash because I blow the head off a guard the moment I enter the room.

so in an extended firefight everyone but me and cass dies, while this guy just cowers
    when it's all over, he stands up, and says to me "you people are crazy!"
    I start looting the tables
    "I'm getting out of here!" he says

and before I can even move, cass blows his head off.

just, damn, cass
    that's ice cold

Goddamn that is awesome. And hilarious.

captaink on
    edited November 2010
    Leave no witnesses

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • AxesOfEvilAxesOfEvil Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm close to the end of the game I think. I've done quests for all factions (well except that I did a frontal assault on the Fort). I'm friendly with all other factions. I already finished all quests related to the chip as well.

I'm basically out of quests besides the progression quests for Yes Man or Mr. House. It may be too late, but I don't want either of them in control. Who do I talk to at NCR to start the final assualt their way? They have outposts everyhwere, but no one seems to be the decision maker.

AxesOfEvil on
    edited November 2010
    AxesOfEvil wrote: »
    I'm close to the end of the game I think. I've done quests for all factions (well except that I did a frontal assault on the Fort). I'm friendly with all other factions. I already finished all quests related to the chip as well.

I'm basically out of quests besides the progression quests for Yes Man or Mr. House. It may be too late, but I don't want either of them in control. Who do I talk to at NCR to start the final assualt their way? They have outposts everyhwere, but no one seems to be the decision maker.

You need to speak to the ambassador in his office on the strip.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    (well except that I did a frontal assault on the Fort).

I did the same thing! Man, those Ballistic Fists sell for a damn fortune.

godmode on
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    seriously, with the anti-materiel rifle every body does at least a backflip

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
    edited November 2010
    godmode wrote: »
    (well except that I did a frontal assault on the Fort).

I did the same thing! Man, those Ballistic Fists sell for a damn fortune.

I was not built for that fight. My character is a sniper, and once you enter the Fort, you get mobbed. Heavy use of Veronica and Ed-E, as well as retreating into easier to fortify positions made it possible. It was the 1st challenging battle I had since very early in the game. On hardcore I would've been sad; both Veronica and Ed-E took one for the team. Veronica did really well once she got one of those Fists though.

My only use for caps these days is keeping the Gobi well-fed with .308, which doesn't cost much.

I completely missed the ambassador. Thanks.

AxesOfEvil on
  • KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    ahahaha Vault 11 was great
    That movie was the perfect, calming transition into the robot death squad coming out of nowhere.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Macro9 wrote: »
    Just remember the state of this franchise before Bethesda came along. Interplay must be headed by a bunch of slobbering jackasses.

These guys, yes.

Aneurhythmia on
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    yeah

do jacobstown

ed: whoops that was last page

L|ama on
  • HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Love Jacobstown. If you've played Fallout1/2 you already know what it is. But man... Lily...
    I freaking love Lily. She's an awesome tank to take all the heat while I do ranger takedown and then stomp with vats. And she's funny. I love talking to her out loud, a la Jordyn.

My grandma was kind of crappy, so Lily is the best grandma I've ever had.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Firematic.Firematic. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Finally taking out some deathclaws. I go through the whole quarry with my Match Grade ammo and AM rifle/sniper rifle. Alpha male, momma (learned the deathclaw omelette recipie too).

so I'm walking out of the quarry after scoping the whole place.
    OH GOD CONCUSSION
    apparently there were 3 deathclaws that were stuck on a cliff and once i walked around the ledge, decided to eat my face

currently roaming the countryside, looking for any jerks I missed and putting their jerk faces in my non-jerk sights.

Firematic. on
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Just found Pushy, the unique Displacer Glove while I was wandering the road to
    Jacobstown- it was in this place full of Lakelurks called the Ruby Hill Mine

My fully-repaired Spiked Knuckles are now going to sit forlornly in my pocket until such a time I need holdout weapons

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I systematically killed everyone in the NCR facility in their sleep except for Eddie, Scrambler, his one guard, and the sheriff there.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Are the faction currency items used for anything other than selling for caps? Like, can I use NCR dollars at an NCR merchant or do I need to convert them into caps?

Arrath on
    edited November 2010
    Arrath wrote: »
    Are the faction currency items used for anything other than selling for caps? Like, can I use NCR dollars at an NCR merchant or do I need to convert them into caps?

You can exchange them for chips so you can gamble.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I want Mr. Sandman now

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    Crashed Vertibird...motherfucker.

Raijin Quickfoot on
    edited November 2010
    I used the large rock at the top of the ravine for cover. Because of the angle most robots weren't able to get in a lot of hits and I was able to aim just fine on them.

My companions bit it quickly, though. As one would expect of them.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I went back to a common playstyle used in Final Fantasy XI. What I did was make Ed-E and Lily wait some distance away. I ran in, shot a robot and usually brought two or three back at a time. Lily immediately pulls hate with her gun (I prefer her melee weapon, but in this case, the gun will do) and she tanks while I run around precision murdering the robots. I think only one of my companions died and only once the whole time I was doing it.

This technique works best with Boone. As I'm pulling a mob, he'll already be shooting. By the time I get to camp, sometimes the mob is already dead.

HugmasterGeneral on
    edited November 2010
    Macro9 wrote: »
    I used the large rock at the top of the ravine for cover. Because of the angle most robots weren't able to get in a lot of hits and I was able to aim just fine on them.

My companions bit it quickly, though. As one would expect of them.

I hid behind the Vertibird itself and used about 20 stimpacks to survive.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • IrtehmongooseIrtehmongoose Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It was weird, the first time I stumbled across that there were only a few ghouls in there.

I later fastraveled back and got quite a surprise.

Irtehmongoose on
    edited November 2010
    Its fun picking off a couple of guys one by one and for some reason no one seems to care

"Oh hey Frank's head exploded. How about that. Must have been too many rads."

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited November 2010
    I've got Legion and NCR death squads on my ass and they always seem to show up at the same time.

Raijin Quickfoot on
    edited November 2010
    Do they kill each other

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited November 2010
    Do they kill each other

No, they just all try to kill me.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've got squads of Great Khans occasionally showing up after I sleep or even just randomly walking about. They don't attack me, they just kind of stand around and shoot the shit and then wander off after awhile. I imagine they probably regret following me to Black Mountain.

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
    edited November 2010
    Is it possible to finish the game if you kill everyone in the game?
    I was thinking of just going back and killing everyone I see now that I've been playing as Mr Nice Guy. I'm not sure who's essential, but I think all the faction heads can be killed, and if I were to murder everyone I see, would there be anyone left to give the final quest?

AxesOfEvil on