As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cookie Brigade, PAX East 2011: OVER 9000! ($9600 - and counting - for Child's Play!)

• Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Cool! It's great to have you here! Did you get my PM?

EDIT: Oh, that wasn't you! Let me send one your way ;)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    Lady LilybellLady Lilybell Geeky Crafter & Baker South Shore, MARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've been stalking this thread for a bit and decided to throw my two cents worth of goods in. I enjoy baking goodies. I've been trying out a few new recipes to see how sturdy and tasty they are. I can make some tasty chocolate chippers. I have a recipe for sugar-free cut-out cookies. Just this past weekend, I tested an awesome homemade oreos recipe (two thumbs up from the taste testers, texture more like the oreo cakesters). I thought about making some cinnamon bun cookies. Well I have two months to decided what i'll bring to appease the crowd.

My husband and I met the nicest gentleman last year at Pax East while waiting in line for Bill Amend. He had baked goodie! Once I found out about your cause, we discussed me making goodies for the next Pax EAst. I have signed up on your site.

Lady Lilybell on
    5FzIdZ6.png
    I ♥ making awesome crafts! I ♥ my Cookie Brigaders!
  • Options
    lxg5810lxg5810 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This is a fantastic thing! and I would love to get involved. Unfortunately my baking skills are not fantastic but I love meeting people and talking to people so I wouldnt mind distributing cookies ^^

lxg5810 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Excellent, welcome Lilybell and lxg! Both the baking and distributing are definitely needed! We have a great use for them, especially at PAX East where we aren't as well established as Prime yet!

VThornheart on
  • Options
    punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I want to know what you're baking! From my post on the Cookie Brigade website:
    I'm curious to know what everyone's planning on baking for PAX East. Let me know!

I haven't totally decided what I'm making yet. I'm sure I'll make some chocolate chip and maybe peanut butter cookies with Hersey's Kisses on them. But I want to do something a little different and fun too. I found these shot glass molds that are suppose to be used for ice ( http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/kitchen/986a/ ) but I want to try them with Jell-o and chocolate (chocolate shotglass with chocolate mousse inside?). If it works out, I might try it with some other icecube tray molds. (Jell-o brains ftw! http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/kitchen/d29b/ )

I also want to hear your tips and tricks! Another post from the Cookie Brigade website:
    Does anyone have any tips for the less experienced bakers?
    How do you make a good sturdy cookie?
    What cookies freeze best?
    Is it better to mix up a bunch of dough ahead of time, freeze that, and then spend 1 day baking them all?
    What's your preferred wrapping method?

My parents have one those food saver thingies that is supposed to suck all the air out and then seal your food airtight. Has anyone tried using one of those? I was thinking of sealing my cookies that way and cutting a little notch in the side so they could be torn open.

So share with us! Come talk: http://www.cookie-brigade.com/

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • Options
    RebeccaRebecca Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey gang,

I'm soooo looking forward to PAX East and seeing you all again! I applied for an account on the cookie brigade site as soon as I'm approved I'll be on it.

I don't have a complete list yet as I received a few good cookie recipe books for Christmas and might add them to the list later. But for now I know I'm doing

Chocolate Chips (in regular, gluten free, and vegan varieties)
    Peanut butter chocolate chip (gluten-free)
    Sugar Cookies (regular) - Star Wars shapes!
    Banana Pumpkin Oatmeal (vegan)
    Snickerdoodles (regular)

Non cookie treats
    Chocolate (variety of raisin, peanuts, pretzels, or plain) - in Star Wars Molds or Wii Remote Molds

I do my mixing/baking on separate days. And I mix my types (Vegan, regular, Gluten-free) one at a time so I don't accidentally use the wrong flour or other ingredient and ruin the batch. When I do a batch I'll set out gallon zip lock bags and mix my dry ingredients (usually flour, baking soda or powder, and salt) and a bag for the sugars. After I get all the cookie mixes ready then I"ll begin mixing up the batches and putting the dough back in the gallon bags that held the dry goods. You can keep them in the refrigerator for a few days if you are going to bake them right away or in the freezer for up to 3 months (there are a few cookies recipes that don't' like to be frozen but most don't have any issues).

I"m a big assembly line type gal, so I have 8 half sheet cookie sheets (from Sam's Club) and a silicone liner for each. I use scoops for the drop cookies so they stay uniform in size. When one batch comes out of the oven I have another ready to go right in it's place. It's still cold outside here in March so I throw the hot cookie sheet on the back porch to cool quickly. If you can get a helper to do the drop cookies while someone else rolls out the cutout type cookies on parchment paper your baking really gets done fast!

For packaging I put a cookie or two in zip lock bags, I found the kids size sandwich bags with zip lock work well. I think I get 200 in a box for $2 or $3. If you don't mind using tape to secure the backs, right now there are a ton of cellophane bags for Christmas that are on sale. Snatch them up while you can. No one will care if they have Christmas trees or Santa on them. It's the cookie that counts.

I put the bagged cookies in cardboard boxes from Sam's Club, or plastic totes if I have any.

In total I usually spend 7 to 8 days in the kitchen getting ready for PAX East.

Rebecca on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    OH hey, does anyone one know approximately how many Enforcers they have in the weekend? I wanted to make them a special treat and didn't know if one or two hundred items would be enough.

Thanks

Rebecca on
  • Options
    karmacappakarmacappa Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just to update everyone, the Cookie Brigade is seriously looking into having a pin made to give out as well, for those people who can't eat all the baked goods because of allergies and such, or who simply appreciate shinies.
    I'm a bit curious, is this something the people on this forum would be interested in?

karmacappa on
    "In Europe, it's not America."
    Scott Kurtz, The Morning After, Aug 31 - 2010
  • Options
    browncoatbethbrowncoatbeth Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey ya'll! Last year's pax east was my first experience with cookie brigade (I was the 8 dozen katamari cake balls) and it was AWESOME.

It was a blast to bake for (and so nice to meet you both vthornhart and facelesscog) and I'd love to do it again this year. Though I will be hauling over a considerably longer distance (NC rather than NJ) I still think I can make it happen.

As soon as I get my logistics worked out I will sign up over on the fancy new site. :)

Think the cakeballs will be good to do again? Last year I just baked them and didn't distribute so I don't know what kind of reception they received...

browncoatbeth on

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
  • Options
    savaenelfsavaenelf Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    Hi! I will be attending Pax for the first time and would love to participate in the cookie brigade. Please let me know what you would like me to make after I have been approved.
    Thanks!
    Karen
    A.K.A Savaenelf

savaenelf on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Think the cakeballs will be good to do again? Last year I just baked them and didn't distribute so I don't know what kind of reception they received...

Yes! People loved them! They were so pretty and oh so yummy! They were a hit.

Rebecca on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Verily! The cake balls were awesome! They are a super big hit!

Hmm... Rebecca, I'm admittedly not sure how many enforcers there are! Maybe Heels would know? Heels, where you at? =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Rebecca wrote: »
    I don't have a complete list yet as I received a few good cookie recipe books for Christmas and might add them to the list later. But for now I know I'm doing

Chocolate Chips (in regular, gluten free, and vegan varieties)
    Peanut butter chocolate chip (gluten-free)
    Sugar Cookies (regular) - Star Wars shapes!
    Banana Pumpkin Oatmeal (vegan)
    Snickerdoodles (regular)

Non cookie treats
    Chocolate (variety of raisin, peanuts, pretzels, or plain) - in Star Wars Molds or Wii Remote Molds

Banana pumpkin oatmeal cookies sound good! I'd love to try one. And it sounds like you have quite the system worked out for your baking. Good for you!
    Hey ya'll! Last year's pax east was my first experience with cookie brigade (I was the 8 dozen katamari cake balls) and it was AWESOME.
    ---

I wasn't with the Brigade last year and I didn't get to see these cake balls, but they sound really cool. Do you have any pictures?
    Also, nice signature: MSI is great :D
    savaenelf wrote: »
    Hi! I will be attending Pax for the first time and would love to participate in the cookie brigade. Please let me know what you would like me to make after I have been approved.

You can bake anything you want! Do you have a favorite recipe? Want to be adventurous and try something funky/original? Want to be easy and make some sugar cookies or chocolate chip? All of these and anything in between is fine! We're just happy you want to bake :D

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • Options
    TrionTrion Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well, I've decided to do some baking. I'll be making some Chocolate Chocolate Chunk cookies. I've signed up at the web page and hope to be approved as an official baking-type person. :)

Trion on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Rebecca wrote: »

Yes! People loved them! They were so pretty and oh so yummy! They were a hit.

awesome! well i shall stick with them then!

punzie - i've got some pics of the cakeballs on my flickr here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/7542311@N02/4705301602/in/set-72157624160840083/

browncoatbeth on

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
  • Options
    hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Those are completely awesome! They are even cooler than the Metroid cookie cutter I will have for PAX Prime. They put my normal cookies to shame but in a good way.

hml151 on
    Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    hml151 wrote: »
    Those are completely awesome! They are even cooler than the Metroid cookie cutter I will have for PAX Prime. They put my normal cookies to shame but in a good way.

:mrgreen: thankee very much

browncoatbeth on

• Options
    edited January 2011
    punzie - i've got some pics of the cakeballs on my flickr here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/7542311@N02/4705301602/in/set-72157624160840083/

Is it weird that I think they look like little aliens? I love them!

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • Options
    dangergrrldangergrrl Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I just signed up on the website - I think this is an awesome thing I want to be part of. :)
    I'd like to bake some cookies and distribute them as well.

dangergrrl on
  • Options
    IxmasatIxmasat Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I signed up as well - definitely interested in distributing, may or may not be able to bake. I remember buying a few last year...I want to say around the Bill Amend line, but I can't remember. :P Sure were nommy.

Ixmasat on
  • Options
    SpyPoetSpyPoet Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My inboxes seem to keep eating my messages from VThornheart and the Cookie Brigade since I signed up to be a distributor. (Yay for being there at Thursday at 10 AM?? And not leaving for the airport till 8 PM monday night?)

SpyPoet on
    PAX Prime 2011 Details
    [ ] Transport Brought GAAAAH
    [X] Ticket Brought Enforcer.
    [ ] Hotel Paid For This may be where I get screwed.
    [ ] Cosplay ask nabs/notaboyscout >:3
  • Options
    jujujuju [E] Line Entertainment! Brookline, MARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I can't wait to find punzie at PAX and buy all her Oreo-stuffed chocolate chip cookies off of her *___*

juju on
    PAX East '10-16 Pokecrawl || Team Green's Awesome PokeProf!
    PAX Prime '10-'13 Triwizard Drinking Tournament || Hufflepuff Head of House!
    Twitter: @jujukoo
    [E]
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    juju wrote: »
    I can't wait to find punzie at PAX and buy all her Oreo-stuffed chocolate chip cookies off of her *___*

It's thanks to you that I'll be making them!!! :D

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • Options
    KrisstaKrissta New HampshireRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So psyched. Just got 5 of my friends offering to bake cookies for me to distribute. I'm still baking, but I only have one day to do it! I was worried I wasn't going to come with enough cookies. Looks like that won't be a problem. Muhahahaha!

Krissta on
    Ln5yLL7.png
  • Options
    RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

WE'LL SEE ABOUT THAT

Rdr on
  • Options
    KrisstaKrissta New HampshireRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Rdr wrote: »

WE'LL SEE ABOUT THAT
    Bahaha!

Krissta on
    Ln5yLL7.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yay, things are going fast and furious planning for our next PAX invasion at our new secure site! Brigadiers, definitely join up, and if you got an IM from me be sure to respond so I can get you into the site! =)

We'll be posting updates again here soon as we get closer, to let people know some of the delicious cookies and fun items that are coming for your Child's Play donating pleasure!

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Wheee got my PMs and stuff. Yay for trying to be an overachiever at my very first PAX! ;)

SpyPoet on
    PAX Prime 2011 Details
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Yay! =) We appreciate overachievers here at the Cookie Brigade! ;)=)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    5392392535_feafc96c80.jpg
    I wonder how many people at PAX are allergic to awesome? Feast your eyes on it, but do not consume it. This could cause a belly ache.

karmacappa on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Now I want cookies...

SpyPoet on
    PAX Prime 2011 Details
  • Options
    Menolly07Menolly07 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    karmacappa wrote: »
    5392392535_feafc96c80.jpg
    I wonder how many people at PAX are allergic to awesome? Feast your eyes on it, but do not consume it. This could cause a belly ache.

Mmmmmmmmm, awesome taste like awesome!!

Menolly07 on
    Still PAXing strong. [E] for lyfe. ELand forever.
    twitter.com/Menolly07
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Well done Karmakappa! Holy crap they made those fast!

VThornheart on
  • Options
    RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Must acquire that pin! Well done

Rdr on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Love the pin, I will not be at PAX East though. I will be sending lots of cookies though and will be at PAX Prime. Great Job!

hml151 on
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Well done Karmakappa! Holy crap they made those fast!

It's a proof to make sure there aren't defects in the die, and that they have the enamel colors correct. Right now they're churning away more pins. I estimate I'll probably receive the order sometime the week after next.
    Rdr wrote: »
    Must acquire that pin! Well done
    Menolly fixed up the artwork for the pin right nicely.
    hml151 wrote: »
    Love the pin, I will not be at PAX East though. I will be sending lots of cookies though and will be at PAX Prime. Great Job!

We'll work something out to take care of you.

karmacappa on
  • Options
    fireunfireun Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    Would love to be involved! Can bake as well as distribute :)

fireun on
  • Options
    TheTerribleManTheTerribleMan Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm not sure I'll be making any cookies yet, but what I can do is offer those of you who are not near Boston a place to ship your cookies...if that's something the Brigade needs help with. I live 45min south of Boston, and will be driving to PAX East. If you ship your cookies to me, I'll load them up and bring them to PAX.

This is not some intricate plan to get free cookies. I can provide references from other forumers, if need be.

TheTerribleMan on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm not sure I'll be making any cookies yet, but what I can do is offer those of you who are not near Boston a place to ship your cookies...if that's something the Brigade needs help with. I live 45min south of Boston, and will be driving to PAX East. If you ship your cookies to me, I'll load them up and bring them to PAX.

This is not some intricate plan to get free cookies. I can provide references from other forumers, if need be.
    Yes I need a place to ship cookies. I live in Washington State and it is not feasible to go to PAX East but I do attend PAX Prime. I will be shipping cookies over for PAX East and that would be a great help to me.
    Thanks

hml151 on

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Tonight I made the first batch of the Oreo/chocolate chip cookies!
    5396687349_20e5452b80.jpg

punzie on
    HI3789R.png