As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Stupid Fortress 2

• EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    same here, I was just making fun of the other guy.

A worthy endeavour

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • redheadredhead Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    redhead wrote: »
    Dubh wrote: »
    that's, by far, one of the best

how can this phrase possibly make any sense

like, think about it

"That is, by far, one of the best"

there. still makes sense, though it admittedly sounds better without the contraction.

no

"by far one of the best" is a totally crazy thing to say if you think about it

redhead on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

like, think about it

there. still makes sense, though it admittedly sounds better without the contraction.

no

no

PiptheFair on
  • animal companionanimal companion xenomortis Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

like, think about it

no

no it's not

if thing number one is 100000 good
    and thing number two is 10 good
    and thing three is 8 good

thing one is by far the best, featuring a vast gap in quality between itself and next-best

yes "the best" is a binary state of being, but you can still be the best by any kind of margin

animal companion on
    VdxNI.jpg
    edited January 2011
    it totally is

"easily one of the best" makes sense to me but i simply can't understand how "by far one of the best" could seem like a reasonable thing to say to anyone. to me it's like if you said "these apples are by far some of the apples i own"

i have come to understand that this bugs nearly only me, though

redhead on
    edited January 2011
    no no "by far the best" makes total sense

redhead on
    edited January 2011
    different

phrases

redhead on
    edited January 2011
    hmm

well, to my mind, "by far one of the best" would suggest an elite group of 4-5 with close margins between them that's way out in front of all the others

that is, "by far one of the elite" or "by far among the best"

animal companion on
    VdxNI.jpg
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    "apples I own" and "apples I don't own" are binary, for lack of a better word, there isn't a scale of "apples I don't own"ness to "apples I own"ness

whereas "is good" is a quality that something could have to various degrees, one thing could be "more better" than something else

Nerdgasmic on
    edited January 2011
    hmm

well, to my mind, "by far one of the best" would suggest an elite group of 4-5 with close margins between them that's way out in front of all the others

augh both of those sound just as horrible to me! am i crazy

or am i the only sane person here

redhead on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    no you just don't understand english

PiptheFair on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    it's some awkward sentence structure, but I think it's still okay

Raneados on
    edited January 2011
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    "apples I own" and "apples I don't own" are binary, for lack of a better word, there isn't a scale of "apples I don't own"ness to "apples I own"ness

whereas "is good" is a quality that something could have to various degrees, one thing could be "more better" than something else

i think what i'm saying here is that while "is good" is indeed a quality something could have to various degrees (so that "by far the best" makes perfect sense), "belongs to the category of very good things" (ie "is one of the best things") is a binary quality, so that "by far one of the best" is, to me, exactly like saying "by far an apple"

if "the best things" is a group, you either are or are not a member of the group, just like how if "apples" is a group, you either are or are not an apple.

best tf2 thread ever

redhead on
  • LokiamisLokiamis Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Uh let's play tf2 right now and never talk about this again

Lokiamis on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    impossible!

also: man I haven't gotten a drop in like 3 days :<

and I know I'm not at the limit because i have been absent from the game for eyars, and I should have some mondo shit backed up

Raneados on
    edited January 2011
    hmm

augh both of those sound just as horrible to me! am i crazy

or am i the only sane person here

I think the idea of being "among the best" is more binary than being "the best" by a wide margin, and obviously it doesn't make sense to intensify that binary

you can sort of read into it in two ways that make sense: either it's "among the best videos, and those videos are far better than all others"

or you can just parse it as a meaningless intensifer which english speakers throw around so much anyway

animal companion on
    VdxNI.jpg
    edited January 2011
    i do the latter

i am pretty sure i will never see the sense in using that phrase, even if everyone else in the world disagrees with me (which, for the record, not everyone does--the people i've explained this to in person were mostly like "oh, yeah, i had never realized that")

but yeah this one thing is like my personal disability re:english, apparently

redhead on
    edited January 2011
    people are just too shy to claim "by far the best" because that's so absolute, so the grouping is just a qualifier.

animal companion on
    VdxNI.jpg
    edited January 2011
    redhead I think you're kind of spazzing out of something extremely trivial

play some TF2

Raneados on
    edited January 2011
    Raneados wrote: »
    redhead I think you're kind of spazzing out of something extremely trivial

play some TF2

no i realized long ago that 95% of people just will not see anything wrong with it, i don't spaz about this

also i would play tf2 but it isn't quake, super meat boy, or starcraft so i have no real interest in it

speaking of things to spaz out about who wants to talk about how awesome quake is? anyone, anyone?

redhead on
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So you visited this thread purely to point out some awkward phrasing and not to play in the PA servers with us

I am crushed

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    edited January 2011
    the curse of the blue dot

redhead on
    edited January 2011
    quake suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks

(kinda)

Raneados on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    rane since when do you play this :O

(also again this userscript that is your file-in-a-cake is the best thing ever)

Abracadaniel on
    edited January 2011
    my file in a cake?

edit: ohh he greasemonkey doohickey

Raneados on
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    it totally is

"easily one of the best" makes sense to me but i simply can't understand how "by far one of the best" could seem like a reasonable thing to say to anyone. to me it's like if you said "these apples are by far some of the apples i own"

i have come to understand that this bugs nearly only me, though

the thing is, no-one would apply that phrase the way you are in the bolded bit. your very example of it's flaw as a phrase is a fallacy in and of itself.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
    edited January 2011
    ohh he greasemonkey doohickey

you could, if you tried hard enough, probably convince just about anyone that this is part of the chorus to a lesser-known beatles song

redhead on
    edited January 2011
    I'm a lyrical genius

my rhymes have penis :|

I mean what i mean is

purple

Raneados on
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    people are just too shy to claim "by far the best" because that's so absolute, so the grouping is just a qualifier.

this (people being to shy to proclaim something as "the Best") makes no sense to me, in a world where the word "epic" has been diluted by pop culture into a descriptor for anything remotely good, no matter how insignificant the thing or event actually is.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Are people arguing over something I wrote?

As a writer, my train has finally arrived. :oops:

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    edited January 2011
    i don't wanna be rude but i'm pretty sure we've basically covered that as much as it needs to be covered, ceebeesix

redhead on
    edited January 2011
    I go at my own pace, guy.

no need to worry if it's rude.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    it's some awkward sentence structure, but I think it's still okay

it totally is

this is what laziness has wrought

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

edited January 2011
    your careless sentence construction has caused a forum schism!

Raneados on
    edited January 2011
    Rane, it's tearing me apart.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

edited January 2011
    sounds like a schism all right

contact Tool and get a weirdass video made

Raneados on
    edited January 2011
    Schism is a fun word. just sounds neat.

only a few other words with that abrupt, unique sound.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • WietWiet Mao Mao Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I feel like I should feel bad for being able to recognise all the music he uses.

Wiet on
    XStly.jpg
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2011
    that thing in the first video where the scout attempted to stop another scout from destroying the teleporter teleported away was amazing

Nerdgasmic on
This discussion has been closed.