As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Who would like to discuss Netbooks

2»

• Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The thing about WoW, from what I understand, is that it's relatively CPU intensive, which any netbook-oriented chip has significant trouble handling. The newer dual cores can handle it a little better, and have started shipping with dedicated GPUs rather than integrated stuff. The guys on that forum, while kinda douchey about it, are probably right about Cataclysm. It might be playable in smaller areas, but the bigger ones are almost certainly going to be a problem.

Considering the Nile platform, though, I'd be interested to see what your findings are. Netbooks are getting to the point where they can handle a lot more than they used to, but this idea is still in its infant stage. Again though, those guys are generally right about netbooks being incapable to do much other than simple tasks. The ones that can do more are pretty much anomalies as far as the netbook platform goes.

Mustachio Jones on
  • troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Did you see the two write-ups I linked at the bottom? They have run WoW, TF2, and Minecraft on this machine. I guess it is just going to come down me seeing how it does.

Again I am expecting to turn down all the settings and not thinking I'll be raiding or whatever but I'm expecting that I'll be able to farm on it... maybe not though.

troublebrewing on
  • Silent TristeroSilent Tristero Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'll bring some thoughts on the 1215N to the table sometime after I unwrap it on the 25th.

I'll throw a mixture of games and 'ting at it, and find out what the keyboard is actually like. It's consistently referred to as 'flexible' in reviews, but I'm not sure how or if that will impact on my style of typing.

Edit: Then perhaps some of you will join me as I sit and weep in the wake of CES 2011, where several vastly superior machines are probably going to be announced at the same price.

Silent Tristero on
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Did you see the two write-ups I linked at the bottom? They have run WoW, TF2, and Minecraft on this machine. I guess it is just going to come down me seeing how it does.

Again I am expecting to turn down all the settings and not thinking I'll be raiding or whatever but I'm expecting that I'll be able to farm on it... maybe not though.

With WoW, it's completely subjective to the area you're in. The second review cites an average FPS of 31, but there's no context for that. The usual shooter doesn't really waver much from a base framerate, save for lighting and physics, but with a game like WoW, it comes down to what's going on. I haven't played it since late '08, but I imagine they've been doing engine upgrades with the expansions, considering that the average computer can probably handle fancier graphics.

I'm not really sure how to take the first review, since there are no hard numbers. Stuttering versus non-stuttering doesn't really say a whole lot about performance. The TF2 test is interesting, considering that the Nile platform doesn't have a multicore processor and yet they've got multicore rendering enabled. Not that it really matters, but that just stuck out to me.
    The machine can theoretically run the game, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's going to be playable, but playablility is subjective to the user.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the argument the guys on that forum are making does hold some water, and that yeah, you're right, they are being kind of assholes. Honestly, for what you're trying to do, I'd say you made a pretty sound choice. It might not perform exactly as you might hope, but so long as you're okay with a cramped keyboard and small screen, you'll be fine.

Mustachio Jones on
    edited December 2010
    Gotcha, and I appreciate the feedback.

Just to be straight 95% of my wow and other computer gaming will actually be done on my desktop. If I'm somewhere , bored and feel the urge I was hoping to be able to fire up the netbook and maybe farm or goof off for a bit.

Even if it does run games I know it will be far from optimal :D

troublebrewing on
    edited December 2010
    Well I'm on this netbook now... Downloaded the wow installer, let it download the files, fired up Cataclysm.......

and went and did 2 quests no problem. It's nice to know that I'm not an idiot and it played wow about as well as I was expecting it to.

fuck those guys.

real nice for web-surfing. Pretty snappy even. The keyboard has a good feel to it although the size is going to take some getting used to.

I still need to watch some video on here and see how that goes. I will try it later at bedtime.

troublebrewing on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So what's new on the netbook front? My girlfriend's looking to get one for note-taking in class and whatnot and I'm tempted to get one to fiddle around on when I'm not on the iMac.

Something around $250-$450 and under 12", preferably.

Edit: Also, is there a chart somewhere out there that shows the hierarchy of processor models?

Edit 2: Thoughts on this? http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-1015PEM-MU17-PI-10-1-Inch-Netbook-Pink/dp/B004CLYGHG/ref=lh_ni_t_

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • bobmyknobbobmyknob 3DS Friend Code 4553-9974-2186 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So what's new on the netbook front? My girlfriend's looking to get one for note-taking in class and whatnot and I'm tempted to get one to fiddle around on when I'm not on the iMac.

Edit: Also, is there a chart somewhere out there that shows the hierarchy of processor models?

Edit 2: Thoughts on this? http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-1015PEM-MU17-PI-10-1-Inch-Netbook-Pink/dp/B004CLYGHG/ref=lh_ni_t_

I really like this: http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/hp-pavilion-dm1.aspx

This also looks good, but it's not out yet: http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/03/lenovo-thinkpad-x120e-snatches-up-amds-zacate-aims-to-right-al/

bobmyknob on
    steam_sig.png
  • KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    bobmyknob wrote: »

I really like this: http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/hp-pavilion-dm1.aspx

This also looks good, but it's not out yet: http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/03/lenovo-thinkpad-x120e-snatches-up-amds-zacate-aims-to-right-al/

I ordered the dm1z last week. So my new objective is finding a SSD hard drive.

I can review once I get it.

Kipling on
    3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
    edited February 2011
    So I checked out Jolicloud 1.1 on my mom's old dell desktop and it's a pretty neat idea.

Really considering picking up a dirt cheap netbook somewhere to fiddle around with it.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited February 2011
    Anyone know a good netbook-based blog? It's hard figuring out what's new models and what's the old tech that's still out there lingering like a silent fart?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    There aren't any.

What are you looking for? The decent options are either Atom D525 with NVIDIA, or the AMD E350 stuff that was just released.

I have the HP dm1z (AMD), and Anandtech did a pretty good review of it. The only thing I would add is you can mute the fan. HP decided that you want noise and a dead cold machine.

Kipling on
    3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
  • bobmyknobbobmyknob 3DS Friend Code 4553-9974-2186 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Anyone know a good netbook-based blog? It's hard figuring out what's new models and what's the old tech that's still out there lingering like a silent fart?

I think this is one of the better netbook based blogs, but it's really starting to just regurgitate information now.

bobmyknob on
    steam_sig.png