As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BLANK WHITE CARDS] Role play party, you are the subs, I am the dom

• Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Alegis wrote: »
    You didn't sacrifice 2 cards. You sacrificed one card that had some scribbling on it including 'counts as two when played', but you didn't sacrifice/submit 2 cards. Why am I even bothering, we all said this - including what would happen if you only gave one.

Shoo shoo

The card specifically said, "This card counts as two for Record Keeping Purposes," not "Two cards when played." Simonwolf decided arbitrarily to ignore that entirely.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It appears to me that you have a very different idea of how to run a game of Blank White Cards than simonwolf, and you're just taking these differences a little too personally. Why be so serious about these things? I would understand the need to argue in a more structured game, but in a freeform game like this, you roll with the punches and take rulings as they come, even if they may be somewhat arbitrary in nature. If you want to discuss this further, let's take it to PMs - no need to clutter the thread any further.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    You didn't sacrifice 2 cards. You sacrificed one card that had some scribbling on it including 'counts as two when played', but you didn't sacrifice/submit 2 cards. Why am I even bothering, we all said this - including what would happen if you only gave one.

Shoo shoo

The card specifically said, "This card counts as two for Record Keeping Purposes," not "Two cards when played." Simonwolf decided arbitrarily to ignore that entirely.

You have to give him 2 cards, you didn't. Who says the cards are resolved while you're giving them to him? All we know is that cards are resolved when played once per turn as an action. Else Abysmal Lynx can avoid the card playing restriction by having cards in his hand instead of playing them. I could make a blank card IMMUNE TO TARGETS WHILE HOLDING IN HIS HAND just now. But I can't because it's not resolved while in my hand.

Alegis on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    It appears to me that you have a very different idea of how to run a game of Blank White Cards than simonwolf, and you're just taking these differences a little too personally. Why be so serious about these things? I would understand the need to argue in a more structured game, but in a freeform game like this, you roll with the punches and take rulings as they come, even if they may be somewhat arbitrary in nature. If you want to discuss this further, let's take it to PMs - no need to clutter the thread any further.

He thinks running the game is being a nigh untouchable dictator. I believe running the game is to serve as a judge and clarify card conflicts. I'd of taken that Counts of card two in stride OR take the one blank sent in and understand that if a player could not submit 2 card to take the 1 happily and move on. He thought it was a better move to call me out publicly and try to vilify me.
    You have to give him 2 cards, you didn't. Who says the cards are resolved while you're giving them to him? All we know is that cards are resolved when played once per turn as an action. Else Abysmal Lynx can avoid the card playing restriction by having cards in his hand instead of playing them. I could make a blank card IMMUNE TO TARGETS WHILE HOLDING IN HIS HAND just now. But I can't because it's not resolved while in my hand.

That card would be legal. Someone could counter with "All players discard their hands." Since it doesn't specifically target you, you'd have to oblige. Like I said, he's being incredibly restrictive in a freeform game and that's sad.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    DaiusDaius Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Help! I'm being oppressed!

Daius on
    bigbosssig.png
  • Options
    Abysmal LynxAbysmal Lynx Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Then I must forfeit. I have not posted any pictures of myself on the internet and I am not starting now.

Thank you for letting me play even though I kept on screwing up the rules. I honestly expected to be kicked out before this point.

And stop being such a baby EvilBadman

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Eh fine, skip your turn and I'll play a card to cancel it. You don't have to show your face.

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    If it will work that would be nice, but I think it might be to late for me.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Never too late. Your two cards in your next two turns will have to be the 'evil' cards, though.

Situations like this are why you have to be very, very careful about card-playing restrictions that carry over multiple turns. It's one thing to lose a single turn or be required to exhaust a single blank card according to a spontaneous rule card. It's another thing to make that condition long-lasting. The Rearward Transmogrification and Rah Rah Ah Ah Ah Roma Ro Ma Ma GaGa Oh La La Want Your Bad Style cards are certainly within that realm of questionable cards. The former can lock out people who don't want to capture themselves in photo online. The latter consumes blank cards at a constant rate. Settlers of Catan and judicious adherence to the rules can avoid the second, but if everyone follows the rules (which some people like myself have as a personal objective!) then someone is eventually going to lose out. Inevitably, the game falls to cards that specifically counter the web of restrictions and conditionals, a stifling situation.

Things like this are why my cards tend to be more general in nature. I like to avoid cards that are dependent on specific situations unless I believe the conditions to be sufficiently common based on metagame. Cards can carry over to future games, so I like to think of cards that can make such a transition. I also prefer cards that are more open in nature, encouraging growth rather than promoting restriction. Improv principles say that you don't say "no" to other players unless absolutely necessary. Instead, you say "yes" and build upon your fellow players. When a "no" comes up, you roll with the punches and make adjustments to keep things going. For myself, this makes my cards relatively basic and general, but that's just my personal style. I still enjoy seeing everyone's crazy cards and trying to work with them, rather than around them. A careful balance is needed in order to prevent the game from being boring but also from being unplayable.

Sorry to inconvenience everyone with the wall of text. That happens from time to time.

Also, I call dibs on the next magic item. I don't care what it is, my character is going to want it. Just a fair warning.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    This is the reason why any truly crippling cards I make have an escape clause.

One of the cards I submitted to gain entry into this game falls under this. I don't know if anyone has received it yet.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Evil, let it go. You should have been careful when playing a game with Rule 2 in effect.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    You do realize it's sufficient to show a hand and a portion of a shirt. Or similar, right?

I'm not stealing your identity based on that information nor should you feel insecure that a board of nerds (of all shapes and sizes) will make fun of you.

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    e8f7598a.jpg

Steal my Identity now!

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It would've been better if certifies had been spelled right.

Sir Fabulous on
    pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    You do realize it's sufficient to show a hand and a portion of a shirt. Or similar, right?

I'm not stealing your identity based on that information nor should you feel insecure that a board of nerds (of all shapes and sizes) will make fun of you.

No man, it has nothing to do with that. I was planning on wearing a coat backwards with the hood up to cover my face.

I will now reveal my terrible secret:
    I don't know how to get photos from my camera to my computer.

Reveal to me the secret of phone-to-camera communication and you shall have your picture.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It would've been better if certifies had been spelled right.

My co-workers did that one long shift working night. I was able to get through the base gate with my ID looking like that.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Did a monkey design this phone or something? Why would images be in a folder labeled DCIM and not in My Album or Images?

20101129194122.jpg

I've figured I'll kill two birds with one stone:

blankcopy2w.png

This should prevent me from getting stun-locked by Impostor Professor Oak.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Unless... war were declared.

4qrm02.png

what is more TO THE MAXINE!!!!!! than war? or even double war?

Perpetual War.

im ready to see this flop now.

also ready to roll my perception check.

also ready to DESTROY GODESSIRRA

psolms on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    [Point of Order] Farangu needs to remember that since we're in the bonus dungeon, negative effects are double. So double the point losses on that card you played. [/Point of Order]

Speaking of negative cards...

techcard.jpg

I guess I'm moving out to a farm, then. Who the hell made this card, anyways? It's not even in the correct proportions. As JudgeBlarney, I request the maker of this card to submit the missing 33x400 portion of the card by the end of the next round. No other penalties if this request is fulfilled.

EDIT: I should mention that the missing portion should match the already-existing card. And I will be checking.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    After a strange series of events that eventually reveals the backwards Abysmal Lynx to be some kind of hooded monstrosity on par with El Diablo herself, the power of Gaga is united by showing that Gaga is truly beyond gender - Gaga may now shapeshift and play any card they want, as long as they pay the price of 20 regular or Gaga points. Since Gaga surely wouldn't want to lose her precious Gaga points, the choice is obvious. Also, since he forgot to bet in the poker game, it's just assumed he called with 10 Picarats.

Farangu decides to inflict a whopping amount of pain on everyone in the game, losing 200 points for himself and a crazy 800 points between all the other jerks. However, since he didn't apologise at all for this, he loses another 20 points, gains 15 dishonour marks, and now everyone may declare double war on him. He also folds his Hold 'Em hand like a jerk.

psolms decides to have a strangely epic turn. After finding himself to be South Korea, he sets his eyes to the north, and realises that he himself is tied for dishonour with Daius and Farangu! With no real other options, Daius and Farangu both become the Great Leaders of North/Best Korea. May God have mercy on us all. Because of his refusal to apologise, he loses more points, then calls the current bet with some style points, and attacks Goddessirra for minimal damage.

MrBlarney decides to retire to the farming life, living with his new partner in pot, Smelly Nedette, the hippie, spending a whopping 1500 points and going into major debt. However, he doesn't give up his right to judge, and declares the maker of the card responsible for fixing it immediately by the end of the following round - and the dirty card maker was none other than Lady Protectress Farangu! Since he didn't play his card to the Maxine, he gains some Gaga points.

Anyone may now declare double war on Farangu or psolms.

Farangu has until the end of the round to submit the same card with the missing 33x400 section attached.

Currently in the pot: 40 Style points, 40 Gaga points, 10 dishonour marks, 10 Picarats

Round 8!

New hands going out now.

Here is the flop for the only remaining players, Alegis, Abysmal Lynx and psolms:

spades-4-150.pngclubs-q-150.pngdiamonds-a-150.png

You have until the end of round 9 to play your Imposter Oak cards. To avoid confusion, they will be the last card(s) in your hand.

Also because of the delay in update:

cookies0.png

PLAYERS
    1. Daius [70 points, 140 Gaga points, 15 dishonour marks, 1 cookie] Bonus Dungeon, Megawoman (Can defeat dudes and take their powers), FOE Blaster (Does... something!), Married (Shares all belongings and points with their spouse Alegis) North Korea (May use artillery to gain dishonour and provoke war from other players) <
      YOUR TURN
    2. Alegis [90 points, 25 Gaga points, 5 dishonour marks, 1 cookie] Bonus Dungeon, Pretty Cool, Double Team Rocket Ally, Married (Shares all belongings and points with their spouse Daius) <
      YOUR TURN TO BET
    3. Abysmal Lynx [-700 points, 200 Gaga points, 200 EVE, 30 Picarats, 1 cookie] Bonus Dungeon, Goddessirra's Stomach, Little Brother (Can harvest incomprehensible scribbles), The One True Lady Gaga (Must play Gaga cards and act like Gaga in posts, can shapeshift), Hostage Taker (Can execute hostages if demands aren't met)
    4. LADY PROTECTRESS Farangu [-305 points, 165 Gaga points, 15 dishonour marks, 1 cookie] Bonus Dungeon, Lady Protectress of Spain (Possesses country, thin moustache, no other authority) North Korea (May use artillery to gain dishonour and provoke war from other players)
    5. psolms [-135 points, 20 style points, 10 tanks, 10 Mechwarriors, 15 dishonour marks, 1 cookie] Bonus Dungeon, OFF THE CHARTS!!!, Super Saiyan (Power level is over 9000, attacks against player are delayed by a round) South Korea (Loses points when North Korea uses an artillery barrage)
    6. JUDGETTE MrBlarney [-1615 points, 70 Gaga points, 5 iron, 10 Style points, 1 cookie] On the farm, Judgette (Can judge and sentence one player per round), Mr. Defecation Familiar, Retired to a farm (Lives with Smelly Nedette)

Globals affecting all players:
    • Thread is now a DnD OoC thread.
    • All cards are now the reverse of their listed gender until we see some dudes in women's clothing.
    • All cards must be played TO THE MAXINE!!!
    • All cards in play before Round 4 can only be removed if the removing player proves Ding Dongs are not their favourite.
    • Players can exchange one type of good into any other type of good at a ratio of 3:1, in part or full.
    • All negative style points are now counted as positive Gaga points.
    • Player(s) with the highest amount of Gaga points at any given time is officially Lady Gaga, and must post like Gaga and play Gaga related cards until they are no longer Lady Gaga. UPDATE: Gagas may now play non-Gaga cards, but must lose 10 Gaga or normal points in order to do so.
    • Players can twice attempt to play a Japanese-style card to earn points from the host. Lack of attempts may result in negative points.
    • Gagas are immune to something, not sure what though.
    • Godessirra - 525 HP, 1/6 chance of eating any given player on their turn
    • Whenever a player harms or inconveniences another player, they must apologise in the same turn, or risk losing points, gaining dishonour marks, and facing a declaration of war.
    • Game is now additionally a Texas Hold 'Em game, run by the GM.

Globals affecting Bonus Dungeon players:
    • Negative effects are doubled.
    • Positive effects are halved.
    • Floor is made of lava.

Wars and Double Wars:
    • psolms declared double war on Alegis.

GM Status:
    • Oppressive and arbitrary dictator

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    call

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Now, I've seen a few bonus dungeons in my time, but I don't think I've ever seen a communal farm in any of them. Who would even thing to put a farm there, what with all the lava. (That would explain the weakness of the tomato crop, though.)

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Truthfully, Ned was wanting to major in Agricultural Science so his farm would actually be worth something. Couldn't resist the chance to major in Music, though.

Oh Ned.

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    IGNORE ME! This post came to soon.

I just want to say that the next two rounds are going to do horrible, horrible things to me.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Updated the last round summary to reflect that MrBlarney is no longer located within the bonus dungeon, and instead resides with Smelly Nedette - however, because the card was played within the bonus dungeon, the doubled penalty still applies.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    1000bwc14.png

I could have sworn I already made a post where I played this card

Daius on
    bigbosssig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    You did, and I posted

bombinthel.png

There was a rollback when the forums went down

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    So it's probably a good idea that I learn to be not retarded at photo editing before I play in a game that requires photo editing heh heh

heh

Anyway, as requested:

techcard.jpg

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    That's Mr. Wizard!

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    No, that's not the same card with the 33x400 slice added to it. What you've done is stretch the card out and recenter the text. Completely different things.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Since I will be on a plane to Indonesia for the next 12 hours or so, I expect everyone to keep playing until I can get an actual update done.

It's Abysmal Lynx's turn to play a card and either make a bet, check, or fold in Texas Hold 'Em - since Alegis apparently does not understand how poker works, I am assuming that by "call" he meant "check", since there wasn't a bet to call.

simonwolf on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Go fish Simonwolf

Daius on
    bigbosssig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Oh lordy, lordy, these cards are going to kill me.

aidsb.jpg

I check, because I can literally bet no more, at least not until I get those Gaga points for not playing to the maxine. See how unmaxine I am?

And I must apologize to psolms for declaring double war on you. You forced me to learn how to use a camera phone, and for that, I shall never forgive you.
    Oh God, my Picarats!

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    ill check also.

psolms on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Well then unfortunately you will have to render some kind of judgement on me, Barney, since I don't know how to do what you're asking, and even if I did, it looks like I'm only going to have my phone for internet for the next day or two. Thanks, Comcast.

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Well, start with the original picture, then extend the image size out 33 pixels horizontally (left or right, either works). Then fill the new space you have. Doesn't necessarily have to be good.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    While I toy with this infernal thing, I guess I should play the next card and keep this moving. To The Maxine, of course.

78763951.png

So sorry to do this, but you guys could really benefit from some infernal touches.

Farangu on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    lynx, you think AIDS is going to kill you?

here comes my next card, TO THE MAXINE!!!!!!

offwithhishead.jpg

1, 2, 3, 4; I declare a suicide war.

FOR THE GLORY OF SOUTH KOREA!!!!!!

wait... maybe this wont end well...

psolms on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Man, we're in a really bad spot here. I've contracted some terrible disease, psolms lost his head, we've all been turned into demons and reality is slowly wasting away.

I don't know if we can get out of this dungeon alive, especially without MrBlarney to back us up.

This has got to be the strangest turn of events I've ever experienced in a DnD campaign.

Abysmal Lynx on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I dunno, man. It's not as if my sword's been completely exchanged for a plowshare yet. Who knows what will happen, and I don't think this campaign is meant to result in an anticlimactic party kill.

culturecard.jpg

Oh yeah, culture TO THE MAXINE!!! I'm gonna serve it up to Farangu as his punishment! Apologies for the inconvenience, but really, accents are fun!

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png