As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Minimalist [Chat]

• Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Arch was lied to by a bioterrorist masquerading as a CDC official who stole the smallpox sample and replaced it with chickenpox.

Chicken Pox would still be a pretty nasty viral weapon, especially used on adults.

It would, but pretty much everyone is immune to it.

Daxon on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    ...Horde or Alliance?

first one then the other

tyrannus on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I mean

about 90% of viral diseases would make a "nasty" viral weapon

Arch on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Bama wrote: »
    Quizzy, wear an undershirt?

I'll give that a shot, this shirt might be too snug for an undershirt. But then again I do have a couple really tight undershirts.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    tyrannus wrote: »
    ...Horde or Alliance?

first one then the other

and then two factions at the same time, man

Arch on
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    Daxon wrote: »
    Res wrote: »
    I am anti-vaccine

Smallpox vaccine

Why should I have to be tortuously injected with a strain of a disease I can only get from direct contact with cows that is designed to protect me from a different disease that is extinct

Nobody gets vaccinated for it nowadays.

Except like US military being deployed to Afghanistan or Korea, I guess someone's done a risk-analysis of the potentiality of US military being given smallpox and they'd rather not have the entire invasion force annihilated by one disease in that case.

Well it just so happens...

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Combining: Even my undershirts show my rude smallpox-infected titties. Suck on that patriarchy.

GLOBES OF DEATH.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Arch was lied to by a bioterrorist masquerading as a CDC official who stole the smallpox sample and replaced it with chickenpox.

Chicken Pox would still be a pretty nasty viral weapon, especially used on adults.

I'm not, I didn't have chicken pox as a child, its something I have to be careful of as an adult.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    taoist drunktaoist drunk Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Arch wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    bill maher is anti-vaccine

yes, that's one thing

I know that's generally enough for people here to write him off, but I'm curious if there are actually more things or not.

he is literally incapable of presenting a view in a way that isn't douchey

even when they are agreeable views

but that doesn't mean "almost all of bill maher's beliefs are misguided"

it just means he has one really misguided view, and is a douche about the others

i am not disagreeing here, i just want you to either present other stupid things he believes, or tone down the hyperbole

There are lots of things I disagree with bill maher on (death penalty, racial profiling, the vaccine thing, privatization of social security [don't have time to get into a long talk on any of those things though sorry]). also he is kind of a dick in his presentation of everything.

taoist drunk on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    R6D6.jpg

I think I've settled on my rapier. :D

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I am anti-vaccine

Smallpox vaccine

Why should I have to be tortuously injected with a strain of a disease I can only get from direct contact with cows that is designed to protect me from a different disease that is extinct

Except like US military being deployed to Afghanistan or Korea, I guess someone's done a risk-analysis of the potentiality of US military being given smallpox and they'd rather not have the entire invasion force annihilated by one disease in that case.

Yeah, I know you're in Afghanistan. Still, it's a pretty sensible strategic decision:
    The last cases of smallpox in the world occurred in an outbreak of two cases (one of which was fatal) in Birmingham, UK in 1978. A medical photographer, Janet Parker, contracted the disease at the University of Birmingham Medical School and died on September 11 1978,[65] after which the scientist responsible for smallpox research at the university, Professor Henry Bedson, committed suicide.[2] In light of this accident, all known stocks of smallpox were destroyed or transferred to one of two WHO reference laboratories which had BSL-4 facilities; the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in the United States and the State Research Center of Virology and Biotechnology VECTOR in Koltsovo, Russia.

I've previously read up about BSL-4 facilities, they are fucking rad.

Daxon on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    man I'm in OCD productivity mode today

like seriously my next week is planned out by the hour.

now I've just got to stick to it

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Variable wrote: »
    bill maher is anti-vaccine

yes, that's one thing

I know that's generally enough for people here to write him off, but I'm curious if there are actually more things or not.

he is literally incapable of presenting a view in a way that isn't douchey

even when they are agreeable views

but that doesn't mean "almost all of bill maher's beliefs are misguided"

it just means he has one really misguided view, and is a douche about the others

i am not disagreeing here, i just want you to either present other stupid things he believes, or tone down the hyperbole

There are lots of things I disagree with bill maher on (death penalty, racial profiling, the vaccine thing, privatization of social security [don't have time to get into a long talk on any of those things though sorry]). also he is kind of a dick in his presentation of everything.

see, i didn't know this stuff because i wrote him off after the vaccine thing

this is what i wanted to hear, not "almost all his beliefs are misguided" --> "he opposes vaccines and is a dick"

Arch on
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    R6D6.jpg

I think I've settled on my rapier. :D

I think I saw that in Kingdom Hearts once.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    Actually most of the population would die horribly since smallpox vaccines are pretty rare nowadays and they are only effective for about ten years

But that will never happen because smallpox is extinct

It's gone

There is no more smallpox

Edit: Are you sure it wasn't cowpox? Cowpox is what is used to inoculate people against smallpox but I thought (And I may be wrong) that the only remaining samples of smallpox were being held by the CDC. Anyways though what I meant was that it no longer lives in nature.

it was a CDC affiliated virology lab

"being held by the CDC" means that someone under the CDC banner has it. it doesn't necessarily mean "in atlanta"

unless i was lied to

I think some French centre, and some Russian centre have samples as well.

Also possibly North Korea cause we have no fucking idea what they're up to.

I don't think the DPRK government is competent enough to handle a smallpox sample without obliterating a city at a bare minimum.

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I am anti-vaccine

Smallpox vaccine

Yeah, I know you're in Afghanistan. Still, it's a pretty sensible strategic decision:
    The last cases of smallpox in the world occurred in an outbreak of two cases (one of which was fatal) in Birmingham, UK in 1978. A medical photographer, Janet Parker, contracted the disease at the University of Birmingham Medical School and died on September 11 1978,[65] after which the scientist responsible for smallpox research at the university, Professor Henry Bedson, committed suicide.[2] In light of this accident, all known stocks of smallpox were destroyed or transferred to one of two WHO reference laboratories which had BSL-4 facilities; the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in the United States and the State Research Center of Virology and Biotechnology VECTOR in Koltsovo, Russia.

I've previously read up about BSL-4 facilities, they are fucking rad.

I just read that, and now I am certain I was lied to.

I am going to mock my friend in a virology lab....or get the lab shut down

i thought they were BSL4

they are not apparently

which means there wouldnt be smallpox unless someone was breaking lots of rules

Arch on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Arivia wrote: »
    Jeep, that sounds terrible. Absolutely terrible.

Yeah, you're not there yet Rivs.

When I first heard the term "post-gay" in my 20's and had it described to me, I found it offensive. Now I'm heading towards my mid-30's and it makes soooo much more sense.

It's part of growing up, and unfortunately, part of not being grown up is feeling outrage whenever someone points out to you that you are, in fact, not grown up.

wow that was condescending

I kind of agree with both of you, but I think it's different points.

Like, using extreme language to describe the opposing side - death before dishonor and all that - is a good way to get fucking nowhere because it's just political ignorance.

Conversely: It's taken me a while to realize that I fucking hate the people who value virginity, and it's a direct insult to me and anyone I'm associated with.

Eh, my only real point was that the vast majority of people don't stay crusaders forever and part of growing up is that at some point you have to decide to what degree you're going to buy in to society. And for some people admittedly the answer is "not at all". But those people are hardly the norm.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Eh, my only real point was that the vast majority of people don't stay crusaders forever and part of growing up is that at some point you have to decide to what degree you're going to buy in to society. And for some people admittedly the answer is "not at all". But those people are hardly the norm.

Older crusaders are also so obnoxious, like most topics become about their favorite pet topic and then it just turns into a lecture on whatever.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited November 2010

I'm not, I didn't have chicken pox as a child, its something I have to be careful of as an adult.

Dude, just go get yourself a varicella-zoster vaccine. Problem solved, you are now immune.

Most people are vaccinated nowadays anyway..

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I think I saw that in Kingdom Hearts once.

It's a replication of a historical design, it's quite possible that KH lifted from the same source.

Anyway, sushi time, toodles.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    it's early for sushi

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Dude, just go get yourself a varicella-zoster vaccine. Problem solved, you are now immune.

I think I need a lot of vaccines I probably don't have. After I reached adult hood I kind of let my going to the doctor maintenance stop. Haven't been in like 10 years.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Pretty snazzy, Inquisitor. I was looking at what they had at the Darkwood website. These weapons aren't sharp and don't have a real point, right?

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Actually most of the population would die horribly since smallpox vaccines are pretty rare nowadays and they are only effective for about ten years

But that will never happen because smallpox is extinct

It's gone

There is no more smallpox

Edit: Are you sure it wasn't cowpox? Cowpox is what is used to inoculate people against smallpox but I thought (And I may be wrong) that the only remaining samples of smallpox were being held by the CDC. Anyways though what I meant was that it no longer lives in nature.

it was a CDC affiliated virology lab

"being held by the CDC" means that someone under the CDC banner has it. it doesn't necessarily mean "in atlanta"

unless i was lied to

I think some French centre, and some Russian centre have samples as well.

Also possibly North Korea cause we have no fucking idea what they're up to.

I don't think the DPRK government is competent enough to handle a smallpox sample without obliterating a city at a bare minimum.

Who's to say they haven't?

We have no clue!

Now I'm imagining N Korean zombies.

Daxon on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I think I need a lot of vaccines I probably don't have. After I reached adult hood I kind of let my going to the doctor maintenance stop. Haven't been in like 10 years.
    Wow, and I thought I was bad about that. You should probably go get a checkup, dude.

Bama on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

When I first heard the term "post-gay" in my 20's and had it described to me, I found it offensive. Now I'm heading towards my mid-30's and it makes soooo much more sense.

It's part of growing up, and unfortunately, part of not being grown up is feeling outrage whenever someone points out to you that you are, in fact, not grown up.

I'm testing out the phrase, "Oh my god, that is so post-gay," out loud, and it has potential.

desc on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    did somebody say rude titties

I cam as soon as I could

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    http://privilegedenyingdude.tumblr.com/

There's a good one in there for every thread.

Doc on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    heh D6 dagger.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »

I cam as soon as I could

false alarm, there are only uncultured birds here

tyrannus on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG!!

emnmnme on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Senjutsu wrote: »

I cam as soon as I could

false alarm, there are only uncultured birds here

How impolite!

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    heh D6 dagger.

heh

desc on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Wow, and I thought I was bad about that. You should probably go get a checkup, dude.

Yeah I know, I'm just worried they'll find some incurable disease and tell me I have a couple years to live. Basically I worry they are a creepy gypsy lady.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    desc wrote: »

I'm testing out the phrase, "Oh my god, that is so post-gay," out loud, and it has potential.

I am sooooo post-gay. I was gay back before it was cool, when you had to get a mouth full of trucker penis at a Jersey rest stop, but now with these kids it's just so commercial. What a bunch of posers.

post-gay is my new favorite word. I'm going to a bourbon lounge with two of my gay friends this weekend. How can I make a joke using "post gay" in the most awkwardest way possible?

Deebaser on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Yeah I know, I'm just worried they'll find some incurable disease and tell me I have a couple years to live. Basically I worry they are a creepy gypsy lady.
    but hey, pie!

Bama on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Doc wrote: »
    http://privilegedenyingdude.tumblr.com/

There's a good one in there for every thread.

love it

Arch on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Going to the doctor with no symptoms and just for a "wellness check-up" pretty much has a 100% chance with you ending up having a finger up your bum.

Daxon on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Deebaser wrote: »
    desc wrote: »

I am sooooo post-gay. I was gay back before it was cool, when you had to get a mouth full of trucker penis at a Jersey rest stop, but now with these kids it's just so commercial. What a bunch of posers.

post-gay is my new favorite word.

That is what I thought of as well

and how i will interpret it

jeep is the hipster now

Arch on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think my brain is breaking. I saw a list of new release movies and out of everything I thought

"oh that could be fun!"
    santa-paws.jpg

what the hell man. . . .

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.