ITT people try to tell you the way you like to pretend playing as a fantasy elf or dwarf is wrong. Plus you're probably a jerk. Why are you such a jerk? Also that you are not playing DnD the one true way
and that you're a horrible monster. Why do you hate fun?
For a previous OP with all the regular information you should go here
. This is a special edition thread for the new online Character Builder! It's going to be a popular topic.
But first as tradition mandates:
Here is a Dungeonhttp://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v305/Aegeri/?action=view¤t=Dungeon-1.jpg
Here is a Dragon:
Hence the name. Also, as a bonus picture here is Bane.
He's so dreamy
And no, he's not going anywhere from the OP. He wants you to love his manly pectoral muscles, his huge thigh muscles and bulging tip of the long hard shaft of his spear. The artist who drew this spectacular
visage of our general thread mascot and local god even has a wallpaper of him
. All hail Bane!!!!Speaking of before we go any further here, want to get the perfect way of starting 4E? Don't know where to go though? Try Wizards generously offering both a revised and improved version of Keep on the Shadowfell and the Quickstart rules? What will this cost you?
Absolutely nothing as it's completely free. Download them here.
Now to the super special edition of the thread, the online CB!
Big Changes to Online CB
Today we've seen the launch of the new Character Builder, which is completely online and this means you will need to be on the internet to use it. This is widely considered to be an entirely odd thing and a lot of people aren't happy, especially as the online CB has a few restrictions the original one didn't.
1) You can't make mans while offline, obviously.
2) It has a limited set of exporting options, at the moment although they are "looking into it"
3) It apparently uses tons of bandwidth, which means I will never be able to use it pretty much (due to how much my internet sucks)
Well, it's expected from this team that we know to be amateur at best, but I found the reason for the sluggish performance and server meltdowns.
You make a change? Cool. The server updates the character and then sends the entire character data in bloated text form back to you. That is 73kb for my freshly created ranger already.
When I click the plus arrow next to Strength, it has to send and reload 73kb of data before I can click again.
What fucking horrible coding.
4) You're limited to 20 characters in total at the moment. This actually makes sense given the above when you think about it.
5) You need silverlight to run it, which means if you initially got excited about using it on your mobile phone (like your iphone) or whatever easily then that unfortunately isn't as easy. I will presume though this does mean that mac users who can use silverlight can now get the CB, that's a good thing right?
6) It comes with all new bugs! Just when they had almost sorted most of the ones in the original.
7) It does support Dark Sun themes though, which is good and making characters in it seems really intuitive at first glance.
In any event, the rest of this thread is dedicated to dueling to the death over this most essential
issue. Also I can't find a slot for holy symbols in it *grumbles*
On the delicious bitching in the thread.
A couple of new users have commented on the general level of bitching going on in the thread at the moment, I just want to point out some things for those new to all this.
1) We are in this thread (In general) because we love DnD and like playing it. I am sure if people didn't want to play DnD they wouldn't be bitching, they would be just extremely apathetic and not posting at all.
2) Most of it has to do with the fact Wizards have entirely lost their brains with everything to do with DDI. A lot of us like (or did like, past tense is most appropriate here) these tools as they made life easier. You do NOT need online tools to enjoy Dungeons and Dragon 4th Edition. A lot of us - including me right now - get by with nothing more than good old fashioned books and paper.
3) The books are still of good quality and while people may disagree about various interpretations of essentials, 4E DnD is still fun and a great way to get into PnP roleplaying games.
So don't take the negativity as everyone hating Dungeons and Dragons in general. Take the negativity as people just venting about the fact Wizards has really screwed the pooch on their online tools: But not DnD in general.
VTT beta footage and video walkthroughs.
Dungeons and Dragons VT beta (1/2)Dungeons and Dragons VT beta (2/2)