Options

so...uh...Cars 2

• Options
    Lezard ValethLezard Valeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My sister hates Ratatouille so much because she is a waitress in a hotel´s restaurant and she is unable to wrap her mind around the idea of a gray rat in a kitchen.

Also, IMHO The Increibles is the best pixar movie ever, followed closely by the toy story series.

Lezard Valeth on
    firma1m.th.jpg
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah sorry pixar isn't going after the demographic of douchey, whiney 20-somethings with an unhealthy wankering for nostalgia and recapturing some lost childhood fantasy bullpoop

I can say that because I am that douche

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I will grant that of all the awesome Pixar movies, Cars is the least awesome one and that this one getting a sequel over all the more deserving ones (literally all of them) stinks of John Lasseter going "this is MY favorite and we're gonna do what I want".

And also let's do this:
    1. The Incredibles
    2. A Bug's Life
    3. Monsters, Inc.
    4. Wall-E
    5. Ratatouille
    6. Toy Story 3
    7. Toy Story 2
    8. Up
    9. Toy Story
    10. Finding Nemo
    11. Cars

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    they are doing a sequel because kids love the fucking movie

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    To me, Cars seemed like a merchandise cash-in. Not that that it bad or anything, but the other movies seemed to tell a story first, then sell shit later.

With Cars, they are looking to sell toys, then write a story around it.

And their method of selling the movie to parents is to include Larry the Cable Guy

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It's not because of Lasseter, it's because Cars was a merchandising juggernaut.

Well, Bedigunz said it better but yeah

Ganluan on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Also I'll say this: Pixar movies are the only thing that have ever made me watch DVD commentaries and actually pay attention to them instead of just zoning out or doing something else at the same time.

They sort of make me wish I was an animator so that I might end up working for them.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    SimBen wrote: »
    I will grant that of all the awesome Pixar movies, Cars is the least awesome one and that this one getting a sequel over all the more deserving ones (literally all of them) stinks of John Lasseter going "this is MY favorite and we're gonna do what I want".

This is quite possibly the most perfect post that could have followed lostwords' post

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You know what has great dvd commentaries?

The jackass movies

They are hilarious

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Yes

Also goddamn there are some bad opinions in here

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

love Rob Brydon so much
    Steve Coogan still being a grouchy old shit I see

Tam on
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    How To Train Your Dragon was surprisingly good for a Dreamworks CGI feature

I was expecting another Fish Tale or Shrek

Why are you putting Shark Tale and Shrek in the same bucket? Shrek was really good. Shark Tale was pretty bad.

jackal on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    How To Train Your Dragon was great, partly because the main kid is basically me

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    This movie seems like a horrible cash-grab.

I can't believe I'd ever say that about Pixar. I idolize those people

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2010
    holy shit some of the ignorant bullshit being said about pixar and their quality is incredibly infuriating to someone who actually studies this shit

look

I get that maybe you didn't care for the story of Up or Wall-E for some reason. That's fine. They were somewhat saccharine and naturally they're formulaic - it's a hollywood film, they're all formulaic.

But you absolutely cannot deny that Pixar is creating the best pieces of long-form animation being produced for the mainstream today. Their story process is impeccable, and they manage to boil every single shot down to its most pure essence, as well as making sure that there is little to no unnecessary moments in the entire film. The opening sequence to Up, in particular, is one of the best pieces of storytelling I've ever seen. Absolutely masterful.

Their animation is astounding. Absolutely, jaw-droppingly wonderful. If you argue that point, you're fucking wrong. That's all there is to it. This isn't an opinion, these guys are fucking good at animating. That's a goddamn fact.

Their shot composition, use of color and layout and techniques for leading the eye around the screen are exceedingly clever. They know and understand the principles of film-making and use them exceptionally well. They are leading the pack in terms of what the technology is capable of. Shit, they fucking invented half of the cg technology we take for granted today.

So, fine. You can say that you didn't like the film, that's fine. But you cannot say the films were bad. Because that is wrong. They are amazingly, wonderfully great films that you simply didn't care for.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2010
    All that said, yeah, this trailer has me a little nervous

so much talent being wasted on what could be a really mediocre film

god I hope I'm wrong

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    LightJesterLightJester Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I honestly can't wait until they do that Star Wars/Transformers crossover shit and make Lightning McQueen into a Headmaster or a Combiner. Mater, McQueen, Sally, Sarge and Doc combine to become Merchandoz, an ancient Autobot ATM that constantly shits out money.

LightJester on
    "Have you no sence of decency, sir?"
    "Indeed I do, sir, only I seem to have left it on your mother's nightstand!"
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Well considering Pixar's track record for sequels so far it should at least be better than Cars 1.

But two sequel years in a row IS kind of a bummer. Not that Toy Story 3 was disappointing in any possible way (god no it was amazing). But part of the appeal of Pixar is how they seduce you into their worlds, learning all the quirks and rules of their latest universe. Having known quantities as you go in sort of diminishes the impact.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    rank every time you make posts that sound like you're yelling i remember what you look like and that you can't possibly be yelling

not in that hat

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Tasteticle wrote: »
    they are doing a sequel because kids love the fucking movie

Also didn't it make the most money overall in terms of merchandise?

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    rank shows up once a month, throws a clot, then goes and lays down for another 30 days

CrackedLens on
    XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm surprised they went this way instead of, like Ratatouille 2, or wall-e 2

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Rank I didn't see anyone say anything against their animation skills except Orik going "I'm more critical of them now that I know more about animation."

Whatever that means.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    NerindilNerindil Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Speaking of Dreamworks, I got roped into seeing Megamind.

Fucking. Hilarious. This and How to Train your Dragon have given me a glimmer of faith in Dreamworks.

But seriously, CARS is the one getting a sequel? Maaaan...

1) Up
    2) Incredibles
    3) Monsters Inc.
    4) Toy Story 2
    5) Toy Story
    6) Finding Nemo
    7) Cars
    8) Wall-E (strictly personal, bad timing.)

Nerindil on
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I just don't get why pixar goes and makes movies with characters that have so little to emote with.
    All that effort to make fish and cars gesture and one-eyed monsters express two-eye expressions.
    Kinda like early Disney's obsession with making hyper-realistic human character motion, when stylized humans emote better.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I want Finding Nemo 2.

Ein on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    megamind was good?

huh

Raneados on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    68% on rottentomatoes

so no, not really

Rent on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    GSM wrote: »
    I just don't get why pixar goes and makes movies with characters that have so little to emote with.
    All that effort to make fish and cars gesture and one-eyed monsters express two-eye expressions.
    Kinda like early Disney's obsession with making hyper-realistic human character motion, when stylized humans emote better.

I thought that was kind of the point?

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    68% on rottentomatoes

so no, not really

rottentomatoes judges very harshly

and even 68% is like 50% better than I expected

Raneados on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Not following you.

GSM on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    going by what rottentomatoes has is probably the laziest way to judge a film you've never seen and, in fact, lowers my opinion about your opinion about movies

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Not following you.

To take something we generally would never identify with and make it feel like a real character that we emphasize with.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    i generally look up what that escape to the movies guy says and then do generally the opposite

Raneados on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Mysst wrote: »
    going by what rottentomatoes has is probably the laziest way to judge a film you've never seen and, in fact, lowers my opinion about your opinion about movies

seriously?

this doesn't even make sense. Critics, despite what most people say, are pretty good at judging the quality of whatever they're critiquing. I mean, that's why they're paid to do their jobs; they very infrequently get it wrong

So how is going "hey a whole group of them came to a consensus of X, therefore X is probably true" bad?

Rent on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Raneados wrote: »
    megamind was good?

huh

I enjoyed it. It was good, silly fun. There were some things I could do without (I really hate Jonah Hill and everything he does).

It's not How to Train your Dragon good, but it's at least as good as the first Shrek movie. And less gimmicy.

Nerindil on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I heard Megamind was good but a bit too predictable.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Not following you.

To take something we generally would never identify with and make it feel like a real character that we emphasize with.

And it seems to be a quirky self-imposed limitation, similar to early Disney's own quirky self-imposed limitations?

Kinda paraphrasing some stuff John K wrote about emotive character design.

GSM on
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    whoa boondock saints has 19% and the audience score is 93%, i think that's the biggest difference i've seen yet

Fuga on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I heard Megamind was good but a bit too predictable.

Oh yeah. You can pretty much call where the movie is going from the beginning.

But it's a comedy, primarily, and it's about the jokes and gags and funny characters. The plot just kinda allows for their existence.

Nerindil on