bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Mysst wrote: »
    SimBen wrote: »
    bsjezz wrote: »
    You are utterly wrong if you think that they make movies only for children.

sorry, but it's where the priority is. as much as you might wish it otherwise, as much as you assume that because they do something you love to do well, they're doing it for you: they're not, and it doesn't make it so.

these aren't great or memorable stories. they are fantasies, designed for kids and people who want to feel good. that's not the fucking point of storytelling. storytelling isn't about 'accessibility' nor is it about being a vehicle for style. storytelling is about communication, and these films communicate nothing

Man these stories are some of the most layered, thematically relevant stories out there.

Go watch A Bug's Life again and tell me it's not about unionizing. Watch Monsters Inc. and tell me it's not about parenthood. Watch the entire god damned Toy Story trilogy and tell me it's not about the fear of growing obsolete or losing your friends.

are you calling toshiro mifune a teamster?

Can't speak for Seven Samurai because I haven't seen it, but all I know is that A Bug's Life is about bullying bosses forcing unreasonable working conditions on worker ants and the ants going on strike and organizing and "negotiating" better working conditions.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Man I can get pumped for a new Pixar movie just because it's a new Pixar movie

But

Why Cars 2

And not The Incredibles 2

In the end, there's a good chance it just came down to a solid story for Cars 2 presented itself before The Incredibles 2. Even if everyone in the world loved The Incredibles more than Cars, doing The Incredibles first because 'people like that one more' is a terrible reason to make a sequel.

Javen on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    cars 2 huh

was this a thing that really need to be made

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Goddamn The Incredibles was awesome. I liked the part where Elastigirl is telling the kids that if the guards find them, they'll be killed. Talking about kids being killed in a Disney movie surprised the hell out of me.

I would have never thought Craig T Nelson could do a job voice acting either.

Ganluan on
  • Options
    NerindilNerindil Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Man I can get pumped for a new Pixar movie just because it's a new Pixar movie

But

Why Cars 2

And not The Incredibles 2

$

You're right of course

But I still can't get over the fact that I'm going to be in a movie theater thoroughly enjoying the sequel to a merely great movie instead of an Incredible one

Nerindil on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

they couldn't cram a ninja in there no?

FAQ on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Ganluan wrote: »
    Goddamn The Incredibles was awesome. I liked the part where Elastigirl is telling the kids that if the guards find them, they'll be killed. Talking about kids being killed in a Disney movie surprised the hell out of me.

The Incredibles was by far the darkest of the Pixar movies so far, and really was when it turned that corner into movies that are just as much for adults, than children. The family fighting was so realistic, you had no trouble believing "this is how a family of superheroes would bicker" and Mr Incredible saving that guy who attempted suicide, then being sued, and LOSING.

Not to mention Syndrome being fucking killed

Javen on
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Next summer get ready for Gerard Butler in: Sure I'll Do Whatever

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've seen every Pixar movie and liked them all. You know why? I'm not a goddamn heathen.
    storytelling isn't about 'accessibility' nor is it about being a vehicle for style.

It can be and often is, in fact, about exactly those things.

Andy Joe on
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    so what bsjezz is getting at is that these films are are not nearly DEEP enough

the sort of deepness that requires all caps

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Javen wrote: »

The Incredibles was by far the darkest of the Pixar movies so far, and really was when it turned that corner into movies that are just as much for adults, than children. The family fighting was so realistic, you had no trouble believing "this is how a family of superheroes would bicker" and Mr Incredible saving that guy who attempted suicide, then being sued, and LOSING.

Him looking at the screen and seeing pictures of all his old friends with TERMINATED stamped over them was just sinister.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There's some strange ideas about what movies should be floating around in this thread

Like, for instance, Pixar movies not being universally enjoyable regardless of age

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Storytelling can also be a vehicle for commentary, in which Pixar films are extremely rife.

Javen on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    FAQ wrote: »

they couldn't cram a ninja in there no?

when you've got mutants and zombie sharks

you don't need ninjas

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    why even try to fix an opinion that bad
    spend your energy building a model plane or something

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I mean

It's okay to not like Pixar movies, that's a valid opinion

But it doesn't mean it's not a bad one

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah that Trailer was what I would want to see another Cars movie

Meanwhile
    On the subjects of new ideas in Pixar films
    Let's take Finding Nemo
    Finding Nemo is a story about being a parent
    There are very few films about this particular part of human life
    Even though it is a very common experience
    And when there is, it's usually about being a good mother
    This was about what it means to be a good father
    We get many presentations of fatherhood from Marlin's overprotectiveness to the recklessness of Gil as a surrogate father. In between we get the middle ground of Crush who gives his children freedom while keeping a careful eye on them. In the end Marlin learns not just to give his son freedom but to also trust him with that freedom and allow him to risk with confidence.

Now I'm asking specifically Bsjezz
    For you to point to other movies with these same ideas that make them so old and time worn

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Him looking at the screen and seeing pictures of all his old friends with TERMINATED stamped over them was just sinister.

The fall of Mr Incredible was so fucking emotional. I really don't think a "kids movie" would have their male lead be told his wife and children were fucking dead and he shouldn't worry about it because "you work alone"

Javen on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

The fall of Mr Incredible was so fucking emotional. I really don't think a "kids movie" would have their male lead be told his wife and children were fucking dead and he shouldn't worry about it because "you work alone"
    I can't lose you again!

I can't. Not again. I'm not... strong enough.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    BusterK wrote: »
    For you to point to other movies with these same ideas that make them so old and time worn

three men and a baby

and the all-time classic

three men and a little lady

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    FAQFAQ Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    three men and a bride

they're in talks

let's do it hollywood, let's go for the fucking gold

FAQ on
  • Options
    BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

three men and a baby

and the all-time classic

Yes three men and a baby is about learning to trust your child and give them freedom
    Great job

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    don't forget about Father's Day

man, Robin Williams makes a lot of terrible movies

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010

three men and a baby

and the all-time classic

Yes three men and a baby is about learning to trust your child and give them freedom
    Great job

adventures in babysitting?

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Shit I forgot about that line. Syndrome was a great antagonist.

"When everyone is super, no one will be".

Ganluan on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Lord Dave wrote: »
    why even try to fix an opinion that bad
    spend your energy building a model plane or something

Once again LD
    I should listen to you

BusterK on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    "When everyone is super...no one will be." is probably one of Pixar's best lines ever.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    what is this, what am i witnessing

pixar movies communicate nothing well ok if you say so hoss

lets get back to how mind-blowingly gorgeous the set designs of the incredibles was

i saw a blog a while back dedicated purely to the chairs used in that film

mensch-o-matic on
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Staleghoti wrote: »
    Seriously though

Sauvignon Blanc sucks

new zealand sav blanc is damned good

nah

it's good for like, one kind of fish.

That and chardonnay, mmmm I'm an old geezer.

truth is something almost always pairs better than Sauvignon Blanc

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Seriously though

Sauvignon Blanc sucks

nah

it's popular over here (australia) because we have so much good seafood. soft cheese is hard to pair though, i was trying to think of something light and tart without too much staying power

personally i dig pinot grigio but really i'm a wine novice

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Polish is also incredibly important, which is where the bulk of Pixar's accolades address. Like Rank said of the art and animation, I also think holds true for the storytelling. Everything that is there, is there for a reason and serves a very real purpose. Does is always break new ground? No. But it's not a requirement of good storytelling to do so.

Javen on
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Seriously though

Sauvignon Blanc sucks

nah

it's popular over here (australia) because we have so much good seafood. soft cheese is hard to pair though, i was trying to think of something light and tart without too much staying power

personally i dig pinot grigio but really i'm a wine novice

pino grigio is the shit.

Dry Rieslings are really trendy right now in Canada.

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    i think my main problem with cars was that it felt much more like a little kids movie than anything pixar has done and, being a teenager at the time, i didn't really care for it

that and i don't like owen wilson when he phones in lines and at the time (haven't seen it since it was in theaters) i thought he was phoning it in pretty bad

it was a pretty movie though, i can give it that

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    i think my main problem with cars was that it felt much more like a little kids movie than anything pixar has done and, being a teenager at the time, i didn't really care for it

that and i don't like owen wilson when he phones in lines and at the time (haven't seen it since it was in theaters) i thought he was phoning it in pretty bad

it was a pretty movie though, i can give it that

Cars was precisely not for teenagers, because teenagers are awful

It was for kids, and old people with Route 66 America nostalgia

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    takyristakyris Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I liked Cars more than I liked Ratatouille.

McQueen stopping at the finish line and turning around made me tear up the first time I saw it.

And I don't even like cars, or car racing, or Route 66 nostalgia or any of it.

Opinions!

takyris on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I am the asshole who doesn't like The Incredibles, you can yell at me now.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited November 2010
    takyris wrote: »
    I liked Cars more than I liked Ratatouille.

McQueen stopping at the finish line and turning around made me tear up the first time I saw it.

And I don't even like cars, or car racing, or Route 66 nostalgia or any of it.

Opinions!

I think that scene is a microcosmic example of why Cars was my least favorite Pixar film. They had a very synthetic approach to integrating the morals into it and you, as a viewer, were forced to consciously taste them at every turn.

If lessons learned were vitamins, Cars is the vitamin water to Pixar's usual full-course meal.

Larlar on
    iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You are utterly wrong if you think that they make movies only for children.

sorry, but it's where the priority is. as much as you might wish it otherwise, as much as you assume that because they do something you love to do well, they're doing it for you: they're not, and it doesn't make it so.

these aren't great or memorable stories. they are fantasies, designed for kids and people who want to feel good. that's not the fucking point of storytelling. storytelling isn't about 'accessibility' nor is it about being a vehicle for style. storytelling is about communication, and these films communicate nothing

edit: nothing but the broadest emotions and time-worn morals, anyway

Okay, you are now in the "bad opinions" pile. No further effort for rational discourse will be made, and whenever you say something stupid, I will let you know about it!

sarukun on