Options

The defining [experimenting with bestiality] of our generation!

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There weren't a lot of people dressed up when I went to go see it.

There were a couple of girls in Gryffindor ties, but other than that, there wasn't a lot of costume action going on.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited November 2010
    So many people were dressed up for this tonight, most of them were college girls in the schoolgirl uniforms! :P

Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There are no words to describe the depths of my hatred for this turn of events.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Fishman wrote: »
    My wife as Tonks a couple days back, just before she headed off to the midnight screening.
    5189276876_a8a136017e.jpg

She conjured a giant monster!

JoeUser on
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Wow, the Gears of Potter game looks pretty bad even by Harry Potter game standards. Cruciatus is a machine gun.

jackal on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Cruciatus should have been like chainsawing

Also, in an iMAX theater about to watch dis. Nobody tell my brother, told him I'd see it with him. And I will, tomorrow night.

Goose! on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Bogey wrote: »
    So many people were dressed up for this tonight, most of them were college girls in the schoolgirl uniforms! :P

aaaaaaaand now I actually want to go see it

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Bogey: 1, everyone else :0

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    MrMonroe wrote: »

10195101lg9810129981897.jpg

JoeUser on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    JoeUser wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »

10195101lg9810129981897.jpg

POOF!

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I'm not sure when I'm going to get around to seeing this, and don't really care about getting spoilered.

Where does the movie begin? I was really annoyed with how they ended HBP so suddenly and kind of hoped they did more stuff about the funeral and what not at the beginning of this one.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    wait this one is 2d AND 3d? is the 3d any good or is it terribad?

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    risumonrisumon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Pretty sure this was the movie where the producers were all like we are not going to just do a shitty 3d version, and then they flip flopped and said they were doing 3d.

So I am guessing shitty.

risumon on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AvrahamAvraham Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm pretty sure there's more than one chapter of them wandering in London/in the woods and RELATIONSHIP problems.

The camping just replaces sleeping in dormitories and going to classes, it's a backdrop for more significant events

Avraham on
    :bz: :bz: :bzz:
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I saw this movie at midnight

Yep yep

Sheri on
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    By the way, living ten minutes away from the Wizarding World of Harry Potter means that about 1/2 of the people at my midnight showings were dressed up in some way, shape or form

Hell, even one of my friends wore a Gryffindor shirt.

Sheri on
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Mang, I just got back from the Wizarding World last week. The food and crowds were miserable but it was worth a second trip just for the butter beer.

I even tried to replicate it when I got home but it was very.... unfortunate.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You're a wizard now Sheri.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Klyka wrote: »
    Yer a wizard, Sheri.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    risumon wrote: »
    So I'm not sure when I'm going to get around to seeing this, and don't really care about getting spoilered.

Where does the movie begin? I was really annoyed with how they ended HBP so suddenly and kind of hoped they did more stuff about the funeral and what not at the beginning of this one.

Going to touch on the whole opening sequence, there's actually been a leak from someone at WB of the first 36 minutes of the film according to every news source you can get your hands on. Spoilers abound
    The first thing up on screen is a tight shot on Scrimgeour going through the speech teased in a few of the trailers (these are dark times indeed, etc.), next shot is Hermione getting called for tea, followed by Ron looking out into a field outside the Burrow, his mom tells him to go and get his father for dinner, then we see the Dursleys packing up the car and Harry watching them leave, cut back to Hermione and she wipes her parents memories and there's a moment there that's pretty wrenching, then leaves, and then we get to the meeting at Malfoy Manor and that's the first real focused scene, just like its the first chapter in the book

And because I am a nerd and have certain things I get annoyed with, I am putting that in another spoiler. Be warned that this is mostly just stupid drivel and you will make yourself dumber reading it:
    The very first big cut, in my opinion, was the part after Bill tells everyone about Mad Eye in the Burrow. There's a pretty big piece of character development in Harry (his speech about loyalty) that just gets tossed aside, and I was pretty disappointed at that.

Next, they altered the scene with the Minister reading the will quite a bit, tone wise. I understand it, seeing as they cut Dumbledore's funeral and all of Scrimgeour's parts from the last film, so its kind of hard to work it in out of nowhere, but it still is a bit of annoyance. I mean, they don't ever even mention how Scrimgeour became minister, so that alone seems odd (sort of like how Harry has the mirror in the movie, which is obviously a big part of the movie, but they didn't even tell you how he has it because Sirius never gives it to him in the films).

I don't mind that they cut straight to the reception, a little annoyed that Harry is not disguised, because that seems kind of dumb (and they did it again at Godric's Hollow). Then, after they leave, and the scene in the cafe, they wonder how they were found but as far as I heard that little plot point is just sort of dropped.

More character development that was cut: Harry finding Lily's letter, which is only the biggest piece of foreshadowing in the book, is totally dropped. That's pretty dumb. Especially because of what's still to come (they'll probably just drop all mention that it ever existed, but then why is the room so damn messy?)

The confrontation with Lupin being cut was actually okay with me. The whole sequence felt weird and uncharacteristic.

Overall, throughout the movie they don't once mention or use the invisibility cloak, another integral piece of the story as a whole, until almost the end and even then nobody makes reference to Harry's.

They do the whole scene with the Silver Doe but they never have Phineas Nigellus with them, so god knows how that works without that small detail.

That's all I can think of.

Overall, I really enjoyed the movie, and it was great for what it was, but there's always some cuts that I really just don't understand

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Goose! wrote: »
    And because I am a nerd and have certain things I get annoyed with, I am putting that in another spoiler. Be warned that this is mostly just stupid drivel and you will make yourself dumber reading it:
    Overall, throughout the movie they don't once mention or use the invisibility cloak, another integral piece of the story as a whole, until almost the end and even then nobody makes reference to Harry's.

What the fuck

Avraham on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Avraham wrote: »

What the fuck
    They don't use it at all, its only mentioned in the telling of the Tale of the Three Brothers

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    That's one of my favorite moments in the book - Xenophillus says no one has ever seen an enduring cloak and the three can only glance at each other

Avraham on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Avraham wrote: »
    That's one of my favorite moments in the book - Xenophillus says no one has ever seen an enduring cloak and the three can only glance at each other
    In the movie, its just a glance. Sorry.

Goose! on
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It's just 10 inches. Nothing special.

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Lord Dave wrote: »
    It's just 10 inches. Nothing special.

ronbrokenwand3112855.jpg

JoeUser on
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    risumon wrote: »

Going to touch on the whole opening sequence, there's actually been a leak from someone at WB of the first 36 minutes of the film according to every news source you can get your hands on. Spoilers abound
    The first thing up on screen is a tight shot on Scrimgeour going through the speech teased in a few of the trailers (these are dark times indeed, etc.), next shot is Hermione getting called for tea, followed by Ron looking out into a field outside the Burrow, his mom tells him to go and get his father for dinner, then we see the Dursleys packing up the car and Harry watching them leave, cut back to Hermione and she wipes her parents memories and there's a moment there that's pretty wrenching, then leaves, and then we get to the meeting at Malfoy Manor and that's the first real focused scene, just like its the first chapter in the book

Next, they altered the scene with the Minister reading the will quite a bit, tone wise. I understand it, seeing as they cut Dumbledore's funeral and all of Scrimgeour's parts from the last film, so its kind of hard to work it in out of nowhere, but it still is a bit of annoyance. I mean, they don't ever even mention how Scrimgeour became minister, so that alone seems odd (sort of like how Harry has the mirror in the movie, which is obviously a big part of the movie, but they didn't even tell you how he has it because Sirius never gives it to him in the films).

More character development that was cut: Harry finding Lily's letter, which is only the biggest piece of foreshadowing in the book, is totally dropped. That's pretty dumb. Especially because of what's still to come (they'll probably just drop all mention that it ever existed, but then why is the room so damn messy?)

The confrontation with Lupin being cut was actually okay with me. The whole sequence felt weird and uncharacteristic.

Condensed your quote to the things I want to talk about:
    What bugged me about the will scene is that it took out a cool moment of Harry being pretty clever. When the minister asks him to try to activate the snitch's sense memory, Harry just touches it with his hand, but then there's that line after the minister leaves where Harry goes, "Well, I wasn't going to give my best effort in front of him, was I?" He'd known immediately how to activate it. I'm pretty much all for scenes/moments where Harry's shown as actually being intuitive and intelligent, because people tend to underrate that he has those qualities.

The letter. Yes. Argh.

Although re: Remus, I don't want to get into a debate about it because I've argued this many, many times over the years, but as uncomfortable as that scene was for me - I've been completely in love with Remus basically since he appeared in PoA - it unfortunately felt perfectly in line with his character. He's really pretty much a coward, going back to when he didn't inform Dumbledore/anybody that Sirius was an animagus when he literally believed that Sirius was a murderer after Harry. He's got some pretty big issues, and it felt totally natural to me that he'd lose sight of things. Plus, it's pretty obviously echoing the way Sirius acted while trapped in Grimmauld Place (the scene even takes place there to underscore there). But anyway, yeah. (Sorry. I think my thoughts about Remus are even more mixed up than Snape these days, so I kind of can't ever avoid talking about this. :P)

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    the best part of the movie was when
    they weren't going to kill hedwig

and then they did

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Wait, you know what I only JUST realised?

They never actually said who
    cut off George's ear.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Also, dammmmmnnnnn, the 2 boys sure have been working out!

Bogey on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    u gay

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    wait i just noticed that too
    what the fuck
    GOD DAMN IT

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2010
    i liked this movie (especially compared to the last one which was poop) but i wish they'd just released a 5 hour movie instead

i loved the obvious nazi symbolism and realizing what scenes were made for 3D (every scene with the snake)

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    because of this movie i only had 3 hours of sleep today

i had to drink 12 cups of coffee to stay alive today

totally worth it, because this movie was the shit

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Keith wrote: »
    i liked this movie (especially compared to the last one which was poop) but i wish they'd just released a 5 hour movie instead

i loved the obvious nazi symbolism and realizing what scenes were made for 3D (every scene with the snake)
    Aww, I really loved the last film.

Bogey on
  • Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Yeah, they really got overt with the nazi symbolism. Red arm bands were basically beating you over the head with the metaphor.

George Fornby Grill on
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010

Yeah, they really got overt with the nazi symbolism. Red arm bands were basically beating you over the head with the metaphor.

I loved that this guy in the last panel showed up in the Ministry propaganda.
    Also oh jeez, Bathilda was terrifying.

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I liked the Twilight dig

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    B_RB_R Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I never liked Voldemort in the films. He didn't look scary or menacing at all.

B_R on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    B_R wrote: »
    I never liked Voldemort in the films. He didn't look scary or menacing at all.

Yeah, I agree. I'm not really sure what I would change about his look (although I like his voice), but... I dunno, seems a little too alien or something.

KalTorak on