Options

The defining [experimenting with bestiality] of our generation!

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I thought this was pretty great.

Lamest part was probably
    OH MAN NAKED HARRY AND HERMIONE MAKING OUT
    but whatever

Moriveth on
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    Keith wrote: »
    Lord Dave wrote: »
    I liked the Twilight dig

yeah i laughed at that

which part was that?

We've discussed it in the D&D thread and decided it might not have been intended that way (apparently it's verbatim from the book, which I forgot), but anyway...

Basically when Hermione starts telling the tale of the Three Brothers, it goes, "Three brothers were traveling at twilight.."

and Ron interjects, calling back to the running gag about him knowing all the stories, "'Midnight'. My mum always said midnight." Everyone looks at him askance, and he goes, "But twilight is fine, too."

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, that probably wasn't a dig, since that was in the actual book.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yep.

Also, some other things I noticed the second time through, not annoyances, but things.
    They never refer to the Taboo out loud, but its used in context of the plot. In the cafe is when its first seen (just like in the books), but then in Xenophilius' house he uses it to call the DEs and alert them to Harry's whereabouts.

Dean, Tonks' father, the dude who works for the bank and the 2 goblins traveling together are replaced by a group of snatchers. I guess to make it shorter? Dunno.

Also I don't understand at all the whole running through the forest scene. They escaped but then didn't. Kind of an odd way to do that.

My little brother was sobbing quite a lot at the end, poor kid

Goose! on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2010
    Moriveth wrote: »

Lamest part was probably
    but whatever

its in the book and it's also this great visual representation of what ron was feeling

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Moriveth wrote: »

Lamest part was probably
    but whatever

its in the book and it's also this great visual representation of what ron was feeling

Oh was it? Damn, I didn't remember that part.

I'll agree it was a good representation, it just seemed kind of silly.

Also, the dancing was weird, but it had Nick Cave, so I kinda liked it.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    To be fair, it doesn't say they're naked in the book. It mentions that they're entwined, and that the locket version is more beautiful but also more terrible

At least I don't think it was mentioned.

And yeah the dancing bit was odd.

Goose! on
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My sister was complaining about how sad the ending was, and I pointed out that she should've known that already, since she read the book.

"I only read half of it!"

"Well, just read the book if it bummed you out, it gets better."

"But I don't want to ruin it!"

"What?"

"I don't want to ruin the movie."

"..."

So yeah.

That happened.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Goose! wrote: »
    To be fair, it doesn't say they're naked in the book.

pretty sure it does

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    That was a really weird transition though, how they were clothed one second, and then naked after the camera panned away.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    i am 80% sure that they were supposed to be naked and kissing the entire time

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I liked the first hour or so, but this movie was the very definition of "movie that exists inasmuch to get the audience to the more exciting point B coming later." Come to think of it, with the exception of a few moments
    Godric's Hollow and the Malfoy mansion
    I don't think I was the greatest fan of the first half of the book anyway, so really nothing gained or lost here. Still, they did a great job with what they had.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    i thought this movie went by way too fast

it was like almost three hours and felt like 30 minutes

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    berlinberlin Registered User new member
    edited November 2010
    The best part of the movie was the "Tale of the Three Brothers" directed by Ben Hibon. Had no idea he's doing an animated zombie movie A.D. -pretty cool

berlin on
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    berlin wrote: »
    The best part of the movie was the "Tale of the Three Brothers" directed by Ben Hibon. Had no idea he's doing an animated zombie movie A.D. -pretty cool

That part could not have been done any better.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    facetious wrote: »
    I still love that the entire timeline of the books was figured out because of the date on the cake at Sir Nicholas's Death Day party.

Huzzah, math!

also the playstation conversation in book 4, the date of harry's parents' deaths too

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    They weren't kidding when they said Emma Watson really went at Radcliffe during that kissing scene

So this movie was pretty good, maybe the best of the movies so far
    The Tale of the Three Brothers is the single best sequence of any of the movies though, for sure

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I swear that Greyback or whatever the werewolf was suppose to be with the snatchers, but he wasn't in the movie as far as I could tell.

Also
    Hi I'm Bill, one of the other Weasleys got scratched by a werewolf, like my steaks raw, gettinf married to Flur nice to meet you

Bucketman on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    They weren't kidding when they said Emma Watson really went at Radcliffe during that kissing scene

So this movie was pretty good, maybe the best of the movies so far
    The Tale of the Three Brothers is the single best sequence of any of the movies though, for sure

Yeah, that sequence was really awesome.

Moriveth on
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I swear that Greyback or whatever the werewolf was suppose to be with the snatchers, but he wasn't in the movie as far as I could tell.

Also
    Hi I'm Bill, one of the other Weasleys got scratched by a werewolf, like my steaks raw, gettinf married to Flur nice to meet you

Re: the spoiler, ahahaha yeah. I found that amusing. Also
    hey Harry it's your pal Tonks I totally married your last remaining quasi-parental figure oh and there's something else whoops Moody's being bossy tell you later.

And I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be Greyback who
    smelled Hermione inside their protective charms. Werewolf sense of smell, et cetera.

Although frankly, I don't know that downplaying Greyback in general is a bad thing. He's horrifying enough in the books. YES LET'S GIVE MORE SCREEN TIME TO THE CHILD MOLESTER.

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    ThreadbareSockThreadbareSock Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I like how andy saved him from the dead air

ThreadbareSock on
  • Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Is the movie as amazing as everyone tells me

Even people who don't like the books are telling me it's "spectacular"

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I liked the Twilight dig

yeah i laughed at that

which part was that?

We've discussed it in the D&D thread and decided it might not have been intended that way (apparently it's verbatim from the book, which I forgot), but anyway...

Basically when Hermione starts telling the tale of the Three Brothers, it goes, "Three brothers were traveling at twilight.."

and Ron interjects, calling back to the running gag about him knowing all the stories, "'Midnight'. My mum always said midnight." Everyone looks at him askance, and he goes, "But twilight is fine, too."

There's no reason it couldn't be a gentle dig from Rowling considering the Twilight books were starting to eclipse her books at that point.

jackal on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    As far as the gun debate goes magic fucks up electronic equipment and power lines etc. So nothing too advanced. On the other hand a 50. cal rifle is mechanical, not electronic. I remember reading these books in my early teens and getting rather pissed that someone didn't just shoot Voldemort in the fucking head. What the hell would he be able to do to stop it? Fuck all. 50. cal rifle, in the astronomy tower, Potter goes muggle on Voldemort's ass.

But yes I also want to know if this film is any good.

Solar on
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yep.

Also, some other things I noticed the second time through, not annoyances, but things.
    They never refer to the Taboo out loud, but its used in context of the plot. In the cafe is when its first seen (just like in the books), but then in Xenophilius' house he uses it to call the DEs and alert them to Harry's whereabouts.

Dean, Tonks' father, the dude who works for the bank and the 2 goblins traveling together are replaced by a group of snatchers. I guess to make it shorter? Dunno.

Also I don't understand at all the whole running through the forest scene. They escaped but then didn't. Kind of an odd way to do that.

How old is your little brother? We're debating seeing it this weekend - my son's 6 but he's seen all the other flicks and wasn't scared at all.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    jackal wrote: »
    There's no reason it couldn't be a gentle dig from Rowling considering the Twilight books were starting to eclipse her books at that point.

Deathly Hallows came out in the summer of '07 though.

I thought Twilight didn't get big a couple of months/a little over a year after that?
    How old is your little brother? We're debating seeing it this weekend - my son's 6 but he's seen all the other flicks and wasn't scared at all.

It's not nearly as bad as Chamber of Secrets, but it's still has a couple of little shit-your-pants moments.
    There's a little scene at the start of the movie where Voldemort's snake makes a jump at the screen that's kind of startling, and the tail end of the Godric's Hollow section is really creepy (i.e. Old ladies turning into snakes, a little bit of blood), but if CoS didn't freak him out that much, he'll probably be fine.

It's really more sad than anything else; the movie ends on one of the grimmest sections of the book, so that might bum him out a little/send him out of the theater in tears, but you still might want to go for it; just be ready to do a lot of back patting on the way home from the theater.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yep.

He was sad, not scared, its not that bad on scary moments, when he and I were watching it there were kids that looked like they were 5 or 6 in the theater. Surprising considering how late the showing was.

Oh and he's 14 :D

Goose! on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    jackal wrote: »
    I liked the Twilight dig

yeah i laughed at that

which part was that?

I really hope it's just a coincidence you said "eclipse" there

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Man I gotta say, rifftrax makes these movies pretty damn tolerable

Worship Satan at your school,
    Or the kids won't think you're cool

Your teacher is a leprechaun,
    Dance around with goat heads on

Hobnail on
  • Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Seen it two times so far. When Kreacher and Dobby bring Mundungus Fletcher to Grimmauld Place, I was sure I heard Fletcher saying the word "dick," not "git."

Toldo on
  • Options
    SwillSwill Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    i was thinking about seein this but then i remembered i would have to watch it auf deutsch

Swill on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Ya know what? The best ending to the book would be a partnership between muggles and wizards. Like sure harry destorys the horcruxes, but then they send in some snipers to clean up and in 10 seconds Voldy and the death eaters arnt a problem anymore. Proving that magic is not might. Guns are.

Then again kids books I know.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2010
    i thought this movie went by way too fast

it was like almost three hours and felt like 30 minutes

yeah that's why i wish they'd just released it as a 5 hour movie

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2010

It's not nearly as bad as Chamber of Secrets, but it's still has a couple of little shit-your-pants moments.
    There's a little scene at the start of the movie where Voldemort's snake makes a jump at the screen that's kind of startling, and the tail end of the Godric's Hollow section is really creepy (i.e. Old ladies turning into snakes, a little bit of blood), but if CoS didn't freak him out that much, he'll probably be fine.

It's really more sad than anything else; the movie ends on one of the grimmest sections of the book, so that might bum him out a little/send him out of the theater in tears, but you still might want to go for it; just be ready to do a lot of back patting on the way home from the theater.

Ehhh
    There's the part where Bellatrix tortures Hermione and carves "mudblood" into her arm and you hear Hermione screaming the whole time

I personally don't think it's suitable for a 6 year old but I'm pretty conservative when it comes to that stuff

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You know what? I really liked the music in this one. Or lack of, I should say. It's actually pretty conservative with the music, and at bits like where Harry's wandering his empty house that silence works very well.

Also, I likes
    The part where Harry and Hermione dance after Ron leaves. It looks narmy at the start, as they smile and dance and it almost looks like they're having a good time, but then it just gradually stops and you realise "This was a desperate attempt to fill the Ron-shaped hole, and it failed miserably."

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Solar wrote: »
    As far as the gun debate goes magic fucks up electronic equipment and power lines etc. So nothing too advanced. On the other hand a 50. cal rifle is mechanical, not electronic. I remember reading these books in my early teens and getting rather pissed that someone didn't just shoot Voldemort in the fucking head. What the hell would he be able to do to stop it? Fuck all. 50. cal rifle, in the astronomy tower, Potter goes muggle on Voldemort's ass.

But yes I also want to know if this film is any good.

Because physical means of killing wizards is completely ineffective. Which is why they note the Salem witch trials as so silly, the wizards made the flames tickle them, etc. You think Voldemort, the guy who has an intense phobia of dying, isn't going to be walking around with constant "bullet into dust" wards, like any sane, normal wizard would?

I mean, the guy died, and he had so many wards active that he still didn't actually die.

Langly on
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You know wizards probably don't even know what guns are, considering they're astounded by toasters and cars.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yeah but Langly has a point. He might just have a "all projectiles return to sender charm" on him for like arrows and such that I'm sure would happen to work on bullets.

But there are no american wizards so the true tests of magic and guns shall never be.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You know wizards probably don't even know what guns are, considering they're astounded by toasters and cars.

In Prisoner of Azkaban the Prophet notes that the muggle population has been told that Sirius Black is carrying a gun, "a sort of metal wand muggles use to kill each other." I imagine Muggle Studies/Muggle Liaison people know about guns, more than the average wizard anyway.

KalTorak on