As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Statistical Analysis on the Cheap [Spreadsheet Options]

adytumadytum The Inevitable RiseAnd FallRegistered User regular
edited November 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I sort of need / would like to have the ability to do multiple linear regression analysis via spreadsheet.

Problem: I don't own MS Excel, and I don't particularly want to buy it for this one use. Excel does provide this functionality.

I do own iWork / Numbers, and I have OO.o installed. Neither can do multiple linear regression out of the box.

Does anyone know of any modules that work with Numbers / OO.o? Googling has left me empty handed. Online-only options would be acceptable.

And in the case that Excel is my only choice, anyone have any tips on how to get it on the cheap? I'd rather have the mac version, and I certainly don't need the most recent version. Microsoft seems to want $150 for the current Mac student office sweet, but I will never use Powerpoint or Word as iWork does both infinitely better. $150, then, seems like a waste for just Excel.

Anyone have any hints or pointers to where I can (legally, obviously) acquire what I'm looking for?

Cheers!

adytum on

• Options
    Chake99Chake99 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    maybe check out the R project? It's a program for statistical analysis, and it's free, but it's kind of a bitch to use.

Chake99 on
    Hic Rhodus, Hic Salta.
  • Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Gretl!

http://gretl.sourceforge.net/

Free, easy to use, open source. It's what I was taught to use in business school. Enjoy.

Gork on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If it doesn't have to be in a spreadsheet, I'd second taking a look at R. You can also call R through Python, if you need to do some data fondling/manipulation.

R's syntax is a little annoying at first, but it's the best free statistical package out there.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    Chake99Chake99 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    R is what scientists use.

Chake99 on
    Hic Rhodus, Hic Salta.
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Gork wrote: »
    Gretl!

http://gretl.sourceforge.net/

Free, easy to use, open source. It's what I was taught to use in business school. Enjoy.

SCIENCE!

While R by itself is over my head what with the programming and command line, Gretl (which appears to mostly be a more user-friendly front end for R) is perfect.

Thank you all so much. I'll be predicting the rise and fall of economies in no time.

adytum on
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    In the long run you're better off using R and there are some decent tutorials online.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.