As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me understand LTI systems

SkyEyeSkyEye Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Can someone help me understand some of the concepts associated with Fourier transforms? I get the math part, but I have difficulty conceptually understanding some of the basic concepts like why exp(jx) = cos x + j sin x or how the Fourier transforms in continuous and discrete time vary so much.

Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

SkyEye on

• Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Euler's formula is most easily proved by looking at the power series for e^ix. e^x = sum from n=0 to inf of x^n/n!, if you chuck in ix instead of x there and then expand and gather the imaginary terms and real terms you get the power series cosx and i times the power series for sinx. If you need something more conceptual than that, I can't really help much. You can sort of look at complex exponentiation as rotation in the complex plane projected onto the real axis (like phasors, if you've ever dealt with those).

L|ama on