Options

Vanguard: Something About Heroes and Sagas

• Options
    MephianseMephianse Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Here is the performance tweaks i was talking about, editing the .ini is what really helped me i didnt mess with the other stuff.

http://vg-en.curse-gaming.com/wiki/performance-tweaks/

Mephianse on
  • Options
    Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Does anybody know if there's some quick hack to change the font in the game and stuff?

That shit hurts my eyes so bad, it actually turns me off from playing.

I'm very finnicky like that, heh.

I'm talking about the chat/combat log, mostly.

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    DeadspaceDeadspace Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hey gang,
    I've been a lazy lurker and havnt posted anything on here, since way back in the day.. were talking years like two PA websight changes ago, and then i didnt post much.

But,
    I'm currently downloading Vanguard cause i wanted an mmo with a differnt but fun feel and from reading what you guys say this is pretty good on teh whole community thing, that and i wanted to group with some PAers cause ya'll rock.

Umm, for the newb in me its firebrand and what island is most everyone on so i can hook up with ya all easier. And it looks like your thestraians or whatever *thereorycraft here as i'm at work and its dloading at home* I think i'm gonna makea vulmane ranger.. or rogue.. thoughts? wanted a disciple but no thestrans can be disciples it looks like.

Can someone tell me why i dloaded the game and all 4 gigs of pacs 1-3 and 5 went quick, but pac3 is taking a whole day. *curses the interweb*

Deadspace on
    "War Within, War Without, War Unending." catechism of the Space Wolves 13th Chapter.
  • Options
    Snapp69Snapp69 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So is the Guild based in Thestra then? If so I don't think I will be joining due to being in Qalia as the Guild I currently call home is in Thestra as well and I can't get a grp with them to help me on Qalia to save my life.

Snapp69 on
    MEAW.png
  • Options
    ElectricBoogalooElectricBoogaloo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm all up on qualia. Gettin sand in my vagina.

ElectricBoogaloo on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    So thestra, is that bottom faction? Cause if its the top, they cant be Monks :( which is the class i wanna play....
    Can people from seperate factions group together?

My Char name is Xan Quan lvl 7 monk on flamehammer

Mephianse on
  • Options
    StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm on Kojan (Woof Elf). Is anyone else on there?

I heard that it's only good til level 13 though.

Strato on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    im a kojani human Strato

Mephianse on
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    DOUBLE EXP WEEKEND!! Woot :)http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm?loadNews=7252

So what kinda of PCs are you guys running? And what settings/performance are you seeing?

I went from this:
    -AMD 3800+ XP
    -1gig Corsair XMS DDR400
    -BFG 6800 Ultra OC

Getting about 20fps avg in the city (with some big chop spikes), and about 30-35fps avg out in the wilds (Orc continent) at 1280x1024. This is with "balanced" graphic settings, tweaked modestly.

Now I have this:
    -Intel Core Duo E6600
    -2gig Corsair XMS2 DDR2800
    -EVGA 8800GTX

Getting about 30-40fps in the city (sometimes better, but then again some big chop spikes) and 50-70fps in the wild - both at 1600x1200. I kinda wish the game would perform even better than that, but I haven't really messed with the settings too much yet. I set it to High Quality, then reduced some of the ridiculous presets that makes. Then up'd some of the other things.

krylon666 on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    the server is flame hammer, and it seems most everyone is on thestra with a few of us scatterd. I'm currently on qualia think Oasis of eq1 days only the size of kunakr or bigger. pac 3 sucked fi your having problems installing that just find the insall zip from thier tech forums. It will install the game from the laucnher takes about 6 hours dependnig on your connections and if it hangs up just restart it.

Play what ever you want really. Were a bit light on the healing but that dosen't matter much at the lower levels usualy only takes 1 healer per group anyways.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    edited February 2007
    dont worry bout it meph since were on a regular server and not a faction pvp server u can group with anyone, its just depending on your race u might have to grind some faction with what ever contenent u move to at around lvl 13. or so. only takes a couple hours wich isn't bad if you ask me.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    edited February 2007
    Awesome! Seems like im the only monk so far so thats cool also! Accepting donations of martial weapons :)

Mephianse on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    krylon666 wrote: »

Sweet!

Strato on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    im not sure if I dig the way the threads show if theya re updated or not ohg well, but yes if we got enough people this weekend we could do seoms stuff for sure. found a couple 12+ dungeans around qualia i know of well 3 or so but its what ever if I need to get thestran faction I can always work on that.

Draeven on

• Options
    mantis23mantis23 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The majority of the guild so far is in Thestra, but that doesnt mean you shouldn't join up. Eventually we'd like to have people on all 3 continents to make grouping easier.

Personally, I'm brought my character to Thestra because it's the most complete continent. it was the first one developed and has recieved the most love from the devs. Qalia was second and Kojan was third and that shows in the amount of quests and missives available (Kojan has no missives currently).

So, if you want to come to thestra, great. If you want to stay on Qalia thats cool too, we have members all over so I'd still join up because as we grow we'll have more people in more places so everyone can get a group.

mantis23 on
    0y6kx4rwubui.jpg
  • Options
    EntropyEntropy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I've seen vanguard in stores here in England, but are there separate EU/US servers? What's the deal?

Edit: Oh, apparently the collector's edition comes with 10 buddy keys. Anyone feeling generous?

Entropy on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Entropy wrote: »
    I've seen vanguard in stores here in England, but are there separate EU/US servers? What's the deal?

Edit: Oh, apparently the collector's edition comes with 10 buddy keys. Anyone feeling generous?

Ya the collectors edition is also $90 bucks! F' that LOL

Mephianse on
  • Options
    TalTal Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Mephianse wrote: »
    Awesome! Seems like im the only monk so far so thats cool also! Accepting donations of martial weapons :)

I think I might have some stuff for you. I've got a couple of weapons that are around 2-3 dps maybe? If memory serves, one is a martial weapon and the other is a claw. What's your character's name? I'll send them over next chance I can log in.

Tal on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Tal wrote: »
    Mephianse wrote: »

I think I might have some stuff for you. I've got a couple of weapons that are around 2-3 dps maybe? If memory serves, one is a martial weapon and the other is a claw. What's your character's name? I'll send them over next chance I can log in.

Nice thanks alot! My Characters name is Xan Quan. I havent gotten a claw before that would rule, only thing ive found so far are martial swords and knuckles.

Mephianse on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Strato wrote: »
    I'm free today to meet up in some form.

Something PA-related is fine with me, as long as it doesn't have the word "WANG" in the title. I'm a little tired of that after hanging out in SE++ so long.

I'll brainstorm some other good obviously-PA names.

It only costs 1s to register a guild charter, so I think we're good there. ;)

I visited Thestra yesterday and was a bit overwhelmed (kind of like first visiting Stormwind from Teldrassil), so I recalled back to elf country where it's not so crazy.

Can anyone else meet at 5pm EST today?

Strato whats your chars name? I'm Xan Quan Kojani human if you wanna add me as a friend...also what lvl are you? If memory serves your a kojani also?

Mephianse on
  • Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So I'm totally going to get the game this weekend, since I still have money from my tax return, and the fiancee and I miss playing games together. Also, I've been stuck on a fucking couch since Saturday from being so sick; I'M SO BORED.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Gahhh,
    Ok, i dloaded the game, last night. then guess what wont install. read the boards.. aahh do this download the launcher then install.. grr.. gf is going to want me to do stuff tonight last night was my night to do crap. it'll be done when i get off work here in japan. I hope, does it auto patch? I'd like to get on set all the settings to craptastic and play some. From what it sounds like its no big deal if i want to experiance the game decently i need to be in thestra or qualia and its no biggy what i make cause there are quests i can do to get non kos. So, healy tips are short supply i'm thinking disciple or bloodmage.. I dunno... though i'm not super great at healy types.. most mmo's i've played uo --- tankmage eq-- enchanter -- daoc --- bard ---- eq --- *shot myself and uninstalled it* --- WoW mage, warrior ---- and i'm unsure what to play was thinking a vulmane ranger, or a monk cause they look pimp... or like i said a bloodmage or disciple. I dont have asstons of time to try out lots of things I'm just looking for something fun.

And I know you all are like who is this r-tard :P... Just my old forum lurking self looking for some bad ass folks to chill with...
    On On... err you probably dont know what that means...

Deadspace on
    "War Within, War Without, War Unending." catechism of the Space Wolves 13th Chapter.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Deadspace wrote: »
    Gahhh,
    Ok, i dloaded the game, last night. then guess what wont install. read the boards.. aahh do this download the launcher then install.. grr.. gf is going to want me to do stuff tonight last night was my night to do crap. it'll be done when i get off work here in japan. I hope, does it auto patch? I'd like to get on set all the settings to craptastic and play some. From what it sounds like its no big deal if i want to experiance the game decently i need to be in thestra or qualia and its no biggy what i make cause there are quests i can do to get non kos. So, healy tips are short supply i'm thinking disciple or bloodmage.. I dunno... though i'm not super great at healy types.. most mmo's i've played uo --- tankmage eq-- enchanter -- daoc --- bard ---- eq --- *shot myself and uninstalled it* --- WoW mage, warrior ---- and i'm unsure what to play was thinking a vulmane ranger, or a monk cause they look pimp... or like i said a bloodmage or disciple. I dont have asstons of time to try out lots of things I'm just looking for something fun.

And I know you all are like who is this r-tard :P... Just my old forum lurking self looking for some bad ass folks to chill with...
    On On... err you probably dont know what that means...

What the fuck.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    wtf wtf what?

Deadspace on
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    wtf wtf what?

Sorry man, the board language is English.

Pb on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Ok,
    Just wondering what TheSneak was refering to when he said What the fuck?
    Confusing I may be. But, whats up? *moderatly confused and is a dunce anyway*
    *selfloathing mmmmm, tasty*

Deadspace on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Ok,
    Just wondering what TheSneak was refering to when he said What the fuck?
    Confusing I may be. But, whats up? *moderatly confused and is a dunce anyway*
    *selfloathing mmmmm, tasty*

You are really fucking annoying, and you type like a dyslexic retard on AOL. That is why I said that. Either type like a normal human being, or take the teenage internets speak to a forum that is filled with that drivel.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    dachishdachish Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

I still have a few remaining keys. PM me if you'd care for one.

dachish on
    My heart it ceases, my breath undrawn.
    Eyes forever focused, on the sanguine, metal dawn.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Hey, I get it. I was just asking a question of the folks playing now. I do not have the time to play to find out what is really a good class. So, besides "play what is fun" I was just curious as to what would work within the dynamic of PAers character selections, you know a role not quite fleshed out or filled at this time. That and I didn't want to start this mmo and get burnt before really having fun in it like so many others.

Deadspace on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    dachish wrote: »

I still have a few remaining keys. PM me if you'd care for one.

PM sent.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    Snapp69Snapp69 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Could someone with a extra key PM one too me so my buddy can try out the game before he buys?

Thanks in advance.

Snapp69 on
    MEAW.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Every night I'm all "Man I'm so gonna go kill those vultures for that one quest and hit level 9 tonight.' Then I log on and fear kite a vulture into another vulture and die. This is what has happened every night since Monday. It's like MMO Groundhog day.

ElectricBoogaloo on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I hate when you go to get your tombstone and then just die more, racking up a bigger exp debt. :|

I feel like my entire night was wasted.

Strato on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    The location of the EP bar keeps me from generally realizing exactly how much xp I have lost. It's all in a non conventional place and does not draw the eye. Suffice to say I usually only glance at the thing after I die.

ElectricBoogaloo on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    eq --- *shot myself and uninstalled it*

FYI, you probably won't like Vanguard that much.

Aurin on
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

There are separate servers for EU players, but you can choose a US server if you don't mind a bit of extra lag. At least, I assume you can, since as a US player I can choose the EU servers.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I hate when you go to get your tombstone and then just die more, racking up a bigger exp debt. :|

While I know the feeling, I also know that, while it's a complete pain in the ass, it's fucking wonderful to fear death again.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The Sneak! wrote: »

While I know the feeling, I also know that, while it's a complete pain in the ass, it's fucking wonderful to fear death again.

hell yes it is

but combat is still a bit newb'd... however if that's what we have to live with now so the servers aren't empty so be it

my guild is filled with EQ people and we were kinda laughing at ourselves for complaining about how after a fight you are pretty much full HP/Mana no matter how the fight went... that would have been a dream come true in EQ and now we miss having to play more carefully

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    The Sneak! wrote: »

hell yes it is

but combat is still a bit newb'd... however if that's what we have to live with now so the servers aren't empty so be it

my guild is filled with EQ people and we were kinda laughing at ourselves for complaining about how after a fight you are pretty much full HP/Mana no matter how the fight went... that would have been a dream come true in EQ and now we miss having to play more carefully

I honestly can say I miss it, but for a different reason. What I enjoyed about downtime in games is that it encouraged more interaction with the community, since groups members would talk with one another while waiting for their health and mana to regen painfully slowly. In games such as WoW and EQII, where there really isn't any downtime, there were many times I would be in a group that wouldn't speak at all because they were too busy just killing constantly.

Of course, in Final Fantasy XI, where the downtime is considerable at times, the people that would speak often sounded like their heads were filled with a thousand imp farts where their brain should be.

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I know what you guys mean about not being able to talk in groups.

I've personally loved the lack of downtime, possibly cause I'm used to soloing. I wouldn't mind downtime in groups so long as enemies gave more exp to compensate.

Strato on
This discussion has been closed.