As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Iruka's Thread, Sketchbook Dumpin' since twenty ten Y'all.

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2016
    Thanks dudes. Slapped some color on it quick:
    8b8we0rp8wvu.jpg

Iruka on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    neeato

earthwormadam on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Like the design, not sure if the colours have really added anything to it yet though. The muddy redness on the kneepad things is a little distracting, and the shading on those hands makes them seem kinda... thick and wooden? Really the arms themselves seem a little out of place with the figure.

Brolo on
    edited April 2011
    Thanks for the crits. the colors are basically a base, just a few color and overlay layers on the grayscale. I want to do alot more refining, if I have a chance. I agree about the arms but other than try to add some detail I'm not sure what to do about it.

Iruka on
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    How about tattoos, cloth wraps, or over sized gloves?
    Just kidding. I love this design though. The proportions, variation in materials, the buttons on the hood, the squared off metal rings... awesome stuff!

F87 on
    edited May 2016
    Haven't been able to put much in on that figure. But last night I was doing some logo makin'

The initial sketches. The company is Manticore games, Manticores are lion man things with scorpion tails:
    syhg7xv3e76n.jpg

Picked out three we liked and just inked them in PS
    wsotil8hkcwl.jpg

Now I'm onto the next phase, illustrator. Im getting a better handle on the program day by day, but I haven't really figured out how to make line weight. Can I change weight within the same stroke?
    83q84952q5sz.jpg

So this isn't quite polished yet, I still haven't really decided on the font/its placement, and some of the spacing isn't really perfect. any input would be great. I also kinda wanted to fade out the color on the tail with a half tone, but It doesn't seem like theres a standard tool for that, is there?

Iruka on
    edited May 2011
    you can control line weight a little bit by using a "brush" stroke, but it's annoying because it distributes line thickness along the entire path. it lacks a lot of fine control, especially if you're using filled objects and not just paths

the other way to do it is to draw out your own path in vectors, which means zooming in and making a shape for every 'stroke'

it gives you a lot more control but is very time consuming

Brolo on
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Lovin the logo. My only gripe is the stinger on the tail is a little... frumpy looking. I think a nice sharp curve would be much more identifiable as a sting, and tie back into the curve of the tail. Sorta like whats going on with his little mane curly.

istockphoto_10445930-emperor-scorpion-s-stinger.jpg

The outine ones are a little busy, but I love the red spot colour. Try doing the black siliouette, with red tail? Or if the white is a thing, make it a while siloutette in a black box.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
    edited May 2011
    rolo, It sounds time consuming, but if its the best way to get results, I guess thats what Ill do. I wish there was a way to say "Make the line X thick at this anchor then X thick at this anchor"

Gibs, Word, I'll play the stinger. Maybe I wont need to tweak the lines as much if I just do solid logos.

Iruka on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I think beavotron has a tutorial up somewhere? But that's basically how she does it. Really time-consuming, definitely.

tynic on
    edited May 2011
    I was under the impression that bevo used vexels and not illustrator.

Iruka on
    edited May 2011
    oh, well, I probably have no idea!

tynic on
    edited May 2011
    You and me both.... I have no Idea if the pen tools differ at all, but if I can find her old tutorial I'll look into it. I think instead of putting hours of labor into the lines I'll try out gibs suggestions and see if they will do. If Im not doing the outlines, I think its looking ok (I hope?).

Iruka on
  • JeckalHydeJeckalHyde Lord Awesome New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    if you change the strokes to paths, then you will be able to then simulate varied line weights. And for the fade, you will have to use a gradient.

JeckalHyde on
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Illustrator CS5 has the ability to change line widths easily, but it can be mimicked in other versions.

http://vector.tutsplus.com/tutorials/tools-tips/create-cs5-width-profile-brushes-in-any-version-of-adobe-illustrator-cs/

NibCrom on
    edited May 2011
    I am using CS5! Sweet. I gotta do some cleaning but I'll read through that tutorial tonight. Thanks nib!

Iruka on
    edited May 2011
    NibCrom wrote: »
    Illustrator CS5 has the ability to change line widths easily, but it can be mimicked in other versions.

http://vector.tutsplus.com/tutorials/tools-tips/create-cs5-width-profile-brushes-in-any-version-of-adobe-illustrator-cs/

I've tried this method before, but found it even more time consuming and frustrating than drawing out the strokes manually.

edit: although the variable width stroke tool might work for you if you're on CS5:

http://vector.tutsplus.com/tutorials/illustration/illustrator-cs5-variable-width-stroke-tool-perfect-for-making-tribal-designs/

http://vector.tutsplus.com/tutorials/tools-tips/illustrator-cs5-variable-width-stroke-tool-gestural-sketches-and-digital-inking/

Brolo on
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Iruka wrote: »
    I am using CS5! Sweet. I gotta do some cleaning but I'll read through that tutorial tonight. Thanks nib!

Sure thing. I'm jealous you have CS5! :P

NibCrom on
    edited May 2011
    Honestly, for painting I use photoshop CS2 still, I love some of the updates of photoshop, but CS5 PS does not agree with my computer for prolonged periods of work, and I still prefer the old UI. But So far its really been helping me learn illustrator, seems way more intuitive than previous versions.

Thanks for all the tips hyde/rolo/nib, though, I'll be sure to play with them and post some results.

Iruka on
  • MyntMynt Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I used to just freehand the drawing in Flash, then export to AI to clean up... but that has issues of it's own, being buggy and whatnot. nowadays, I usually convert the lines to fills... or pen tool it. it's easier to work with for me.

David Lanham has some interesting videos on how he makes his amazing vector artworks using the brush tool and the warp tool. video linkage

Hope some of this helps!

Mynt on
  • Radar6590Radar6590 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Iruka, as just a general statement looking over this thread, you've improved immensely. Nice work with the ball renderings and texture renderings. Very convincing. Keep it up.

Radar6590 on
    My DeviantArt
    Loomdun wrote: »
    ...And I am being hulked enraged by multiple things right now and I will destroy you
    edited May 2016
    Thanks dude, trying to keep working hard.

So I'm messing around, I like the solid red on the solid black lion. Messing with the line weights is alittle weird, and I dont think its going to work out on this logo, but I have another one I need to do, so I'm going to keep playing with the tools.
    jh52q4zzd2uy.jpg

I like the white on the black BG too, but I need to work with the spacing so that edges don't get smushed like that when it sizes down. I Think I might put it in a triangle or octagon or something.

Iruka on
  • MossMoss Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Have you tried the Blob brush in illustrator? You can double click it and set the size of the stroke to vary with your pen pressure. It's a much more natural way to draw in illustrator.

Moss on
  • JeckalHydeJeckalHyde Lord Awesome New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dang I was about to suggest that as i was playing about with the logo
    as i live traced it lol.
    I didnt do anything fab.

mantih.jpg

JeckalHyde on
    edited May 2011
    I actually prefer the sharper more geometric angles, personally, but I do think the little bit of extra curve in the tail barb, and bringing the leg shape to follow the curve of the tail again is a good call.

I hadn't figured out the pen sensitivity on the blob brush, and when I first tried it I had't figured out that you can subtract shapes from other shapes, so that tool will be more useful now! Thanks Moss

Iruka on
    edited May 2016
    5ss00jgtvseh.jpg

Iruka on
  • SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Top left is my fave. I like the white-on-black but I think it would look better without the colored tail.

So #1 with color, perhaps #2 without but I'd have to see it.

Siegfried on
    Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
    edited May 2011
    I mostly want it to work both ways, not so much choose one black over white. I take it you like the top font, then?

Iruka on
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    numba 1

earthwormadam on
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The fonts don't really jive with the boldness of the blacks of the manticore. I like the simplicity of the second font, but the letters aren't meaty enough.

I'd go with something like the dark ones here. Maybe Bebas Neue or Harabara? They're simple and bold in ways that would match the logo, but still classy on their own.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The fonts don't really jive with the boldness of the blacks of the manticore. I like the simplicity of the second font, but the letters aren't meaty enough.

The first one looks a little too sci-fi, which doesn't really fit with the more ancient, mythological implications of the logo/company name. I can't think of any noncommercial fonts that would suit this off the top of my head, but I'll see if I can find any.

Also, make sure you don't make those thin lines too thin, else the black ink will run and cover them up. It should be fine at the size it is, but if you reduced it to, say, 30% of the current size those details might get lost.

Flay on
    edited May 2016
    I liked the Harabara,
    c8ahc61eblqh.jpg

I figure if I need it tiny I can just increase the space between shit, ala:
    u59wipiz6a84.jpg
    kqhipwyixuhu.png

Iruka on
  • SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The first reminds me of Mobile brand gas with the trapeoid or whatever. The second is great I think, good show, especially the right-aligned type, I think it works well.

Siegfried on
    Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I like the bottom left one the most. The text looks better when its stacked like that. I would play with it should be justified left or right though. Also maybe even some colors in the text.

wakkawa on
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Very powerful image, definitely something more identifiable than simplistic typography.

I'm having trouble telling where the thing's eyes would be, although that isn't a major problem really.

I also have a few other issues with the silhouette, though:
    uneven lines through the mane- I'd make the lion a solid black shape and then run three lines of identical line weight through to make the mane contours.
    tail- I can't tell what sort of weight it has. It looks a bit like a club, not a stinger, and doesn't taper properly from tush to tip. It actually seems thinner at the base due to the tight radius of the bend.
    I think there should probably be some sort of line break between the red and black in the tail as well, perhaps also the ear?

I prefer the trapezoid, as it doesn't crowd the logo as much.

EDIT: almost forgot- tablet pressure in illustrator

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
    edited May 2011
    I'll try and play with it just a bit more. I can see what your saying about the base of the tail, but I don't think I want any white between the ear and the lion or the tail colors. I can reduce the bump of the stinger and see what that does (maybe thats more what gibs meant originally, I thought he was just talking about the hook).

I gotta start moving onto other stuff, and I'm pretty happy with it now, but I'll see if I can make just a few more changes. Thanks for the input.

Iruka on
    edited May 2016
    Alright, first:
    rk44alh5l83a.jpg

Now cowboys
    evil
    s3b5g9t1k8jy.jpg

fmd2l158zb2m.jpg

good
    dyzxwssrawtm.jpg

Iruka on
    edited June 2011
    some fucking sexy cowboys

i'd love to see these developed

color coding is always good to distingush the good guys from bad guys, but giving each side its own visual cues can help too - bad guys get a triangle-pattern motif and spiky boots, good guys get a circular pattern and bandoleers, that kind of thing

and make sure to include some cowgirls!

Brolo on
    edited June 2011
    aw yiss. the sexiest of silhouettes

tynic on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I demand more bullshit
    (the cowboys is awesome dude)

Tam on