As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SPACE] THREAD

ProPatriaMoriProPatriaMori Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
It's been a while since I've seen a space thread. A lot's going on though! Just in the past couple weeks:

- Discovery's launch got pushed back EVEN FURTHER to Dec 3 to allow more evaluation of the cracks in the stringers between the oxidizer and fuel tanks in the external tank (big orange thing)

- Some incredible videos have been posted from China's Chang'E 2. They've got a series of cameras to look at the systems while they perform, so there are solar panel deployment videos, videos showing main engine firing, etc. See below!

- STP-S26 launched on a Minotaur IV (repurposed Peacekeeper ICBM) from Kodiak, AK, carrying 7 (!) satellites and a hydrazine upper-stage demonstrator. The launch went PERFECTLY, and so far it looks like all the payloads--including the satellites I worked on, FASTRAC 1 and 2, are deployed and functioning very close to their targeted orbits (about 650 km circular).

- A Delta IV Heavy (basically the most capable launch vehicle currently in service) launch from Cape Canaveral got pushed back due to some weird temperature reading during fueling.

Have some video!

Chang'E 2
Orbit Trim Maneuver
Probably my favorite video that they've released. The pre-burn roll with the Moon swinging through the view is just incredible, and then you're into darkness and the camera adjusts and you can see the freaking engine glowing. More video, with excellent explanations, is available from The Planetary Society.

I think I've heard Chang'E 2 might even do an Earth return. That's pretty freaking cool!

STP-S26
I just have to share these. Spaceflight Now has given the mission a lot of coverage, so space fans have probably seen a bunch of this, but I've just been enamored with the whole process.

Unofficial Launch Video
Probably my favorite video of the lot. Wish I'd been there. It's not a particularly large launch vehicle but it's still amazing.

Official Launch Video
The official launch video. I wish they'd also posted the pre-flight, because I really want to hear the flight controller say "we are cocked, locked, and ready to rock" again.

Tower Roll Rehearsal
Kodiak's launch complex is pretty rad too. It's the only place I've seen where you get the rocket erected, leave it enclosed, and then when you're ready to go you roll the whole damn building away.

And a brief call out to any HAMs out there: FASTRAC needs the amateur radio community's help. Hopefully we'll have better TLEs soon.

Space thread is go!

ProPatriaMori on

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Love the videos

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    And now, the obligatory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6R3MiAv9ac

Space is awesome; discuss.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    A little more old-school when it comes to space, here's a video of the Apollo 11 Saturn V launch recorded at 500 fps with narration. http://vimeo.com/4366695

The launch is quite spectacular at the level of the launchpad.

Rhan9 on