As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2]The old thread is dead. Long live the new thread.

• Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This is a pretty good overview for history up through the events of GW1: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Timeline (major GW1 spoilers, naturally)

The rest of the lore is probably focused on the pages for each individual event, species or important character.. many of which are linked to in that timeline.

For a broad description of events between GW1 and GW2: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Movement_of_the_World (again, GW1 spoilers!)

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    3rd part of Dociu interview

LewisB_GW2Castlekite.jpg

No sylvari screenshots yet. Apparently ANet's PR people do not think it's "time". Presumably we are waiting on sylvari week. However, there are a couple of gems.
    Right now I’m more and more thinking of the next races to be introduced in future expansion packs and that’s what I’m all excited about. But I’m not revealing any secrets yet!
    Some aspects may still change between now and ship, although our time is running out and we’ll need to wrap it up sooner or later, but we always reserve the right to improve on certain aspects as time and budget allows.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    New races for expansions makes sense. They can add new race-specific storylines without the danger of unbalancing the game that would come with a new class (though I do hope they add new classes at some point).

reVerse on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'd imagine after we see one expansion pack to the game they'll see how well they can implement new features and work their way up to a new class or classes, as those are among the most difficult things to create and balance.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Also, June is sylvari-time:
    Although Daniel and ArenaNet’s PR team weren’t quite ready to provide a glimpse of the sylvari at this time, we have since received an open invitation to return to the subject in a couple of months time, where we will hopefully get a glimpse of the redesign.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    SteadiestSharkSteadiestShark Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm buying this for sure, I'll probably be Human Elementalist or something...Definitely Human though.

SteadiestShark on
    GT/PSN: SteadiestShark
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Awww. What a shame.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If the next race isn't a pack of cranium rats I'm cancelling my subscripti- wait.

Uh . . . Cashews.

That doesn't work with this one, does it?

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Tentonhammer has an interview with J. Robert King author of Edge of Destiny up here:
    http://www.tentonhammer.com/gw2/features/interviews/edge-of-destiny

Not too much info on GW2 itself, but interesting anyway.

Draygo on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Basil wrote: »
    If the next race isn't a pack of cranium rats I'm cancelling my subscripti- wait.
    Uh . . . Cashews.
    That doesn't work with this one, does it?
    It'd be hilarious if they gained something like +2% INT per Skritt in party.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Another character builder, this time including traits and multiple weapon sets. Fun to play with.

http://gw2.revgaming.net/Home/TraitsTool/

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I have to say the "home instance" idea is one that holds my attention. Connecting the PC to a community is the #1 way to establish his/her identity IMO.

This part of the interview is encouraging and cool:
    Early on, the team sent me a 300-page Guild Wars 2 World Bible with the caveat that it was a living document that would be changing multiple times over the following months. I read this bible from cover to cover and used it to write my original outlines. Occasionally, though, there were details that the bible didn't cover, so I would make something up. Often when I did, the team would respond saying, “That's not how it works” or “We'll send you another document that explains that part.” Once, though, I invented a major point of continuity and gritted my teeth, waiting for the response. This time, the team said, “That, actually, really works. That fills a big hole in the story in a really interesting and satisfying way.” And my idea became a major piece of the continuity for the novel and the game.

I can't tell you what that part was - mostly to avoid spoilers. But it doesn't matter which part I created. The world was built by many creators, and I am honored to have been numbered among them. And, honestly, the world isn't truly alive until it is out of the hands of world-builders and novelists and into the hands of gamers. They're really the ones who make the game.

Collaboration ahoy!

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Xagar wrote: »
    ;_;
    We had a quest chain that involved skritt at one point; although it didn’t make it into the game, it was a fascinating story. A small colony of skritt came upon a tribe of kodan and listened to the kodan philosophy. As a group, they were able to understand it very well, and one of them was impressed and wanted to learn more. The other skritt left the area, but that one stayed behind to study with the kodan. Unfortunately, once the other skritt left, he found himself in a terrible position—he was no longer intelligent enough to understand the kodan philosophy or remember why he idolized them so much. The feelings remained and he stayed with the kodan—but, tragically, he would never be able to truly understand them. It was GW2’s version of Flowers for Algernon. I hope that one day we’ll be able to put that tale in the game.

Oh god this is so tragic. :(

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The skritt are really cool. They remind me of the tines from A Fire Upon The Deep by Vernor Vinge, which are basically wolves that gather into packs and share their intelligence, creating one 'identity' whose intelligence and personality is based on the composite members. I hope there are lots of events that involve skritt, I wanna help 'em out! Asura are also huge assholes and I want to screw with them.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    220px-GarySiniseOct09.jpg

Gary Sinise wants to know if Guild Wars 2 is out yet.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I'm trying to determine which variety of slur I should start using to refer to our alien neighbors.

My first thought was unimaginative. "Mole rats" for the asura and "kittens" for the charr, but I'm not sure those are really as offensive as they are descriptive. I need something with a sense of both casual dismissal and disgust.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm trying to determine which variety of slur I should start using to refer to our alien neighbors.

My first thought was unimaginative. "Mole rats" for the asura and "kittens" for the charr, but I'm not sure those are really as offensive as they are descriptive. I need something with a sense of both casual dismissal and disgust.

Tiggers and Roos

Who-Psyd on
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I'm pretty lazy, I'd probably refer to asura as stewies (because they all look like the family guy character if you anime'd them up a little) and the charr as yiffs.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Arkady wrote: »

I'm pretty lazy, I'd probably refer to asura as stewies (because they all look like the family guy character if you anime'd them up a little) and the charr as yiffs.

Well, I have the perfect slur for the humans:

Lunch.

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Caedere wrote: »

Lunch.

On that line, Sylvari are salads, asura are snacks, and Norn are supersized popcorn buckets.

naengwen on
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You can just the Asura "rodents."

The Charr you can call "The Charr" because that's their goddamn name!

Actually I'll be playing a human but I still think the Charr are cool.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    naengwen wrote: »
    Caedere wrote: »

Lunch.

On that line, Sylvari are salads, asura are snacks, and Norn are supersized popcorn buckets.

What do you call an opposing party made up of each non-charr race?

A four-course meal.

Caedere on
    FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The charr use the term "meat" for beings that they view as weaker than them, so you aren't far off.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I shall be sure to refer to all non-Charr members of the future PA guild as Meatbags, ala HK-47.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    We need a better charr slang for norn.

"Dinner," perhaps?

So there's salad, lunch, snacks, and dinner.

Xagar on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Animal Crackers.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Animal Crackers.

I luvs me sum Animal Crackers... yes.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Xagar wrote: »
    We need a better charr slang for norn.

Was gonna edit to be animal crackers, but then... well, beat'd, hard.

As for the other races, I'd accept "our overlords" as slang for charr. For opposed factions, "RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!" will suffice.

naengwen on
  • Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Too many syllables.

Xagar on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    How did we get to coming up with slurs for each race and why.

I'm going to be friends with everyone, except the asura, who I will just call douchebags.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    People love being pointlessly antagonistic in multiplayer games. Which tends to result in one or two people who take it far too personally (watching the Nations At War discussion in the Minecraft thread was like an MMO faction quarrel in fast forward).

Glal on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I like to think of it as bringing the human element into the virtual world.

I mean if I can't dig up the corpses of my enemy's family, have them flayed and display their rotting hides as banners, I should at least be able to call them funny names among friends.

These are time honored traditions.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    It's that, or hum the Duck Tales theme until new info comes.

naengwen on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Still waiting on that Sylvari redesign. Hopefully it's more like the concept art they have on their site.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i want horns

thorny horns

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I like the sort of Elvish look they have going in that Sylvari wallpaper. Enough of a hint that sh'es a plant, but still looks normal.

The Carmen Miranda look is a bit much.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Sylvari redesign will be shown off in June some time it seems. They will look more "planty" than they currently do. That's about all we know.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    ... more planty? They already look like walking plastic plants.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    -Loki- wrote: »
    ... more planty? They already look like walking plastic plants.

That's the problem. Plastic plants don't really have the right feel for what this race is all about. Their early design is too artificial and tacked on in some ways.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Eh, depending on how they do them, I'm losing all my desire to play one. Like, if they go for a more PG version of Dragon Ages forest spirit, I'd be all for it. But I'm not sure if I'm going to like the end design, and I do have to look at the character for thousands of hours.

-Loki- on