As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2]The old thread is dead. Long live the new thread.

• Options
    BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Arthil wrote:

The second time is a massive server vs server affair. Every two weeks(A guess at this point) two servers are pitted against each other in 'The Mists' ...
    Server vs Server vs Server, three servers are pitted against each other.

47uk6agplx83.png
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    so, what do you do in GW2, if not chase carrots?

Your carrots are mostly cosmetic.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    There's probably also gear related carrots and such. It just seems they are going for a much more unstructured approach where you either do battlgrounds, Server v Server or just run around doing events to get various bits of gear/token/etc.

• Options
    sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular

Well, what do you like to do? Explore? Kill things? Kill other players? Experience storyline stuff? Dungeon-crawl? Do whatever you like, really. It's not so much that the game doesn't reward you, it's more that the game tries not to have you only putting up with crap just for the reward, whether "crap" is having to run content dozens of times, or playing with people you hate, or having to be this tall to ride this ride. Also, the levelling game and end game aren't drastically different.

That said, there is a power plateau and eventially you will be known for your prowess by your rare-looking trinkets rather than by the power each trinket wields.

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Arthil wrote:
    The second time is a massive server vs server affair. Every two weeks(A guess at this point) two servers are pitted against each other in 'The Mists' which is the place between worlds in the setting. There is a massive map in the certain, with three adjoining ones for each server. Everyone is bolstered up to the max level, but your gear, skills etc wont be. It works very much like the DAOC style of PvP, and like the 'battleground' style matches, will have siege equipment and destructible structures.
    It's actually three servers against each other. Two weeks is correct. Your server will rank up, and servers will be pitted against each other based on ranking, so matches should stay reasonably even.

More details here.

• Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    being separated by servers would be a small disappointment

i like that in Guild Wars, so long as you play the game, you can play with everyone else who plays the game

dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    They've said that switching servers will likely be free and easy with some sort of restrictions, presumably some small cooldown and not allowed to transfer to a server you're currently matched up against.

• Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Never played the original Guild Wars. How is different from a typical MMO like WoW?

What is the PvP like? I read that everyone in PvP has the same level and gear? So the gear you get from PvE is completely pointless in PvP? Am I not understanding something?

Original GW is way different than your traditional themepark mmo's.

The best way to think of it is as M:TG with a 3-d avatar. Max level is 20, and very easy to achieve, especially if you start in certain expansions. Once you hit cap, then begins the hunt to unlock more skills (read: cards) for your hotbar (deck). Each zone is normally filled with 1 or 2 boss mobs than use an 'elite' skill that you can capture, and is often the capstone for a build. Once you unlock a skill through training or capture, it's then unlocked on the account for use in pvp.

As for pvp, the gear you get from pve isn't necessarily pointless, but it's way harder to create a build for your pve character that's competitive and has maxed stats without tons of farming. People only bring their pve guys into pvp to for cosmetic reasons.

PvP characters can be automatically created with the best gear and mod selection, that way the playing field is even. What they won't have, is all the skills available to create a good build. That's why you have some pve characters you like to play, unlock said skills, then create / delete pvp characters for competitive play. You can unlock everything through pvp alone, but it takes a loooong time.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular

PvP will be a big one. And as for PvE, you will, assumedly, do it because it's fun to do, instead of to raise your numbers and fill your bars.

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    So, I played GW at launch a bit, but picked up the 3 pack on Steam at some point. Should I try and run through it all, or is there a better place to start?

Also, what's this about Eye of the North, it is a kinda sequal or something, or more like an add on for each expansion?

• Options
    The other addons are standalone campaigns, Eye of the North is more of a proper expansion where you have to bring in an already existing character to play it.

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote:
    The other addons are standalone campaigns, Eye of the North is more of a proper expansion where you have to bring in an already existing character to play it.

As well, EOTN is meant as a sort of bridge of content and story to GW2, showing events in the past of GW preparing the way for GW2's story. It also enables you to work towards the Hall of Monument rewards, detailed here: http://hom.guildwars2.com/en/#page=welcome, which will carry achievement rewards you earn in GW into GW2 as well as your GW character's legacy.

488W936.png
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular

Adventure.

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    naengwen wrote:

Adventure.

This. Basically what I do in Skyrim - wander around, find something neat - 3 ruins/caves/dragon priests/hours later - Oh, guess I never actually got to that quest marker I was headed for.

And, for some reason, I am ok with that.

It is honestly a weird feeling, and not one I get with games normally. I have no idea what makes that type of wandering fun in an Elder Scrolls game, but I want a (modern) MMO like that.

Neurotika on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    I'm really looking forward to GW2. Its probably going to be a day one purchase for both my wife and I...

I know they are going to have a different endgame structure than WoW, but to say they won't have 'carrots', IE discrete rewards for continuing to play the game is kind of silly. The specific carrot of 'keeping up with the Jones' totally rad gear' won't be there which is a definite improvement in my eyes, but no carrots? Nah.

• Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    as Arthil said, carrots have been cosmetic in Guild Wars

collecting neat little extra stuff is basically its own reward for those who like doing the collecting thing

never much cared for it myself... i don't even have any of the fancy armors

grinding for materials for obsidian armor can fuck right off

i actually was working my way up to the kurzick set for warriors which looked kinda cool looking but never finished getting all the materials for that either

i think i did halls of the primeval kings a few times and got a victo's axe

but in general i think i have a low tolerance for repetition

dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    I'm really looking forward to GW2. Its probably going to be a day one purchase for both my wife and I...

I know they are going to have a different endgame structure than WoW, but to say they won't have 'carrots', IE discrete rewards for continuing to play the game is kind of silly. The specific carrot of 'keeping up with the Jones' totally rad gear' won't be there which is a definite improvement in my eyes, but no carrots? Nah.

Depends on if your interpretation of carrots includes the basic tugs and pulls that every game that's ever existed has to have to remain interesting

And not the carrots that Korean MMOs, EQ/WoW clones and the like have that involve their customers having to continue their subscription and play on a more-than monthly basis for the remainder of the game's lifespan to improve their individual character numbers that make the game playable for new content / easier for old / wtfPWN nubs in PvP

Cuz like you said, GW2 doesn't have that.

• Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    Best way to describe it is like this.

Are you playing the game for the reward? (For the next level, for this particular raid item etc)

Or are you playing the game to have fun? (ooooh whats that, oh shit giant dragon lets kill it)

or "Oh cool I found an item" vs "here player player, to get this item you have to work this dungeon a minimum of 6 times".

• Options
    WHAT IF I LIKE FUN BUT ALSO REWARDS???

• Options
    reVerse wrote:
    zYo0X.png

Deserves to be mentioned!

• Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote:
    WHAT IF I LIKE FUN BUT ALSO REWARDS???

Are you playing the game to have fun? Thats the only question you need to ask. Everyone likes rewards, but when you have to work endlessly for them then they become carrots.

Are you killing dudes because its fun killing dudes, or are you killing dudes because you need to get to level 80.

• Options
    FUNWARDS

• Options
    Oh, don't worry about that then. There'll be funwards for everyone.

Especially me.

Cuz you're gonna give yours to me.

Else you get a funrocket up your funhole.

• Options
    HardKaseHardKase Registered User regular
    naengwen wrote:
    Oh, don't worry about that then. There'll be funwards for everyone.

Especially me.

Cuz you're gonna give yours to me.

Else you get a funrocket up your funhole.

Sounds like fun for the whole family.

Steam ID: HardKAse@hardkase.cjb.net (yes I was drunk when I created it)
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular

This is a concept I kind of struggled to wrap my head around for a bit. At first I was like "If there's no raiding/endgame... what even do you do?"

And then I remembered that, as they put it themselves, the "end game" starts from level 1. So if you approach it from that perspective, suddenly it makes a whole lot more sense.

I was kind of upset about the whole "no raids" thing, too... until I remembered that video of the undead-dragon-that-comes-up-from-the-water dynamic event (you know the one). That event is more or less exactly what you'd find in a raid boss. It has everything, from the mass amount of people fighting it, to all of the different mechanics going on. And obviously, that's just one single event. Granted, not every event is going to be as epic as that (kind of hard with 1000+ events), but there will be events like that, yknow? So, to me, it looks like the essence of what makes raiding fun will still be in the game... just in a slightly different form. There's still 5-man dungeons too! And there's a "hard mode" which is apparently, very very hard.

So the answer is pretty simple, then. You just... do whatever the hell you feel like doing.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote:
    So the answer is pretty simple, then. You just... do whatever the hell you feel like doing.

*GASP* In an MMO? Unheard of!

• Options
    SentretSentret Registered User regular
    If I was, say for example, a bit bored, would it be worth it for me to pick up guild wars 1? And which parts would be recommended? (And what's the cheapest way to do it?)

• Options
    Sentret wrote:
    If I was, say for example, a bit bored, would it be worth it for me to pick up guild wars 1? And which parts would be recommended? (And what's the cheapest way to do it?)
    At this juncture, the easiest thing to do is pick up the Guild Wars Trilogy package. That gives you all three of the main campaigns, and will provide good exposure to the game. Provided you enjoy your experience there, then pick up Eye of the North, which acts as more of an expansion.

Bear in mind that Guild Wars 1 is a very non-traditional MMO. I enjoy the hell out of it, but it isn't without it's problems or quirks.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    GW is sorta like Diablo meets a WoW-like MMO. With it's own craziness as well.

• Options
    AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    I would recommend starting with Nightfall. Prophecies is kind of long winded and shows it's age, Factions will get you to 20 quick, but fuck that city. Nightfall is decent overall and will get you companions early, who are way better than the regular npcs for running missions.

ECOED.jpg
  • Options
    SentretSentret Registered User regular
    Cool beans, thanks.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Question about GW2:

My girlfriend and I play together, typically as a healer/tank pair. Usually I pick a race/faction/starting area based on that knowledge, we choose our classes and play together. From reading, I know this paradigm probably wont apply completely in GW2 since there really isn't a "tank" class, and there aren't any healers. So this time around my strategy is going to be to let her pick whatever race/class combo she finds interesting, and I pick whatever combo I find interesting (I'm leaning towards Sylvari Necro right now, but I'm not 100% on that). Based on her past playstyles, I suspect she is going to end up with a Asura Guardian. I can't be too sure about that. I'll let her ask questions about the different racial and class based abilities and let her make the final decision.

ANYWAY.... Since we will almost undoubtedly be starting in different areas, how long will it take before our two characters "meet" in the game? Can one choose to start in a different race's introduction?

26904.png
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Stupid wrote:
    ANYWAY.... Since we will almost undoubtedly be starting in different areas, how long will it take before our two characters "meet" in the game? Can one choose to start in a different race's introduction?
    From their wiki.

Do different races start in different areas?
    Yes. Each race starts in a different area and has a different storyline. However, friends playing different races can meet up after completing a short tutorial and traveling via an asura gate to a racial capital city of their choice.

-

And they've mentioned that there's the ability to take other people into your personal storyline stuff, so it sounds like fairly quickly after character creation, one of you could venture to the other and start playing together.

Entriech on
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote:

*GASP* In an MMO? Unheard of!

Unheard of in the past decade anyway. "Do whatever the hell you feel like doing." was UO's mantra before UO:R.

A lot of my MMO playing friends keep bugging me to start SW:TOR. I keep telling them I'm waiting for GW2 because it fits my lifestyle and thematic preference.

Whenever I think about starting an MMO with endgame raiding these days, I start to get anxiety. I get flashbacks to grinding the vanilla PvP system in WoW, 16 hours a day, everyday for almost 3 months. I'm far too competitive for my own good. I would feel the need to do whatever it takes to be on top of the PvP game. I can't put myself through anything like that again.

GW2 actually let's you be casual and competitive. It's a fucking dream come true for a long time MMO fan with a career.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I will be honest in that SW:TOR feels worth it for story alone, even with its flaws. However GW2 seems to be putting nearly as much effort into their voice acting, and given how personal stories work you may or may not have dialogue choices involving them.

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Arthil wrote:
    I will be honest in that SW:TOR feels worth it for story alone, even with its flaws. However GW2 seems to be putting nearly as much effort into their voice acting, and given how personal stories work you may or may not have dialogue choices involving them.

Given a choice between playing Skyrim and SW:TOR with my limited amount of free time, I'm gonna stick with Skyrim. ;-)

If I'm playing a game for story alone, I'd rather not have to pay a subscription fee for it. When SW:TOR goes free to play, I'll give it a go.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    Over the weekend I indulged myself into reading more on the features the game is adding through the game's wiki, and I've gotta say I'm pretty interested in what they are doing with the combat. The thief's iniative mechanic in particular is really interesting.

Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • Options
    Arthil wrote:
    I know they've definitely mentioned that personal stories will have branching decision points besides the initial selections during character creation. I think they mentioned something as an example as like, a fire breaking out in your neighbourhood, and you choose to either save the orphanage or the hospital. So not even clear choices, at that.

• Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Personally I'm wondering if the 3 attack paths to Zhaitan correspond to the 3 factions.

• Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    It seems there are many places in the personal story where the player decides the course of events, and certainly the course of dialogue. The point of your home instance (in your race capitol) is to reflect the current state of your story with respect to local events as well as NPCs who come and go based on your decisions.

Also, your character's personality will be determined through dialogue and in turn give special conversation (or action) options.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)