As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cheaper Better Laptop?

doctorcoctopusdoctorcoctopus Registered User regular
Gonna invest some upcoming christmas money into a gaming laptop. Best I can find for under 1500 is this so far.

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=56160&vpn=G53JW%2DXR1&manufacture=ASUS

Anyone know anything better for around the same price?

Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 740QM : 1.73 GHz, with Turbo Boost up to 2.93 GHz;

Mobile Intel® HM55 Express Chipset
4GB DDR3 1333 MHz up to 8GB (Intel® i7-720QM / i7-740QM / i7-820QM platform)

15.6" 16:9 HD (1366x768)/Full HD (1920x1080)/HD 3D (1366x768) LED backlit,Color-Shine (Glare-type)
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 460M, with 1.5GB GDDR5 VRAM
Hard Drive 500GB
Dual HDD support

doctorcoctopus on

• Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Just to get it out of the way here, are you sure you want a gaming laptop? That is a lot of money to spend on something that isn't very upgradeable and ultimately only uniquely useful. For that kind of money you can build an excellent gaming desktop and get a sweet netbook.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    floobiefloobie Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've heard great things about Asus' gaming laptops. The one you selected should serve you very well indeed.

But, I'll echo the other comment: Be aware that gaming laptops generally have piss-poor battery life. It won't be very "mobile" at all. If you want it mainly to bring to LAN games or something, that makes sense. But, you can indeed get a much more powerful desktop for significantly less money.

floobie on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I do a lot of living in hotel rooms so a solid gaming laptop will serve me well.

doctorcoctopus on
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    That looks like a great deal - my only concern is NCIX. My friend ordered a $999 Acer i7 8gb ram gaming desktop, they then waited 2 weeks, told him it had been discontinued, and acted like they were trying to get a machine from another order and give it to him, and then told him to take his pick from anything else on their website (at the time at least it was that and then a bunch of $300 off-lease shitboxes) but he knew they had to give him a refund if he asked so asked for it and they gave in.

Basically, you aren't going to lose any money on it because they are legit and will refund you if you aren't happy, but they do try to bait-and-switch.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    They're up here in vancouver, so if worse comes to worse i'll go and be annoying in person.

doctorcoctopus on
  • Options
    floobiefloobie Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Angel_LAN wrote: »
    Acer laptops are reliable and not expensive.

Try getting it here: http://www.memoryexpress.com/

They have a store in Richmond now. I've bought all my (non-Mac) hardware from them for like 10 years now in Calgary, and they've always been awesome. Prices seem to be pretty similar, as well.

floobie on