Options

Age of Empires 3 (Buy for Ten cents from M$, Sunday only)

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    5 dollars is enough to get anyone remotely interested in a game to buy it. 10 cents (or 10 funbucks that you may have lying around due to lack of shit to spend it on) is enough to get anyone to buy a game.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    What is this about leveling up your city and getting new cards for your deck? Is that a campaign thing?
    215531100_FujVQ-L-2.jpg

No, it isn't a campaign thing. You pick decks of ~20ish cards out of a set of about 110ish, then during a normal skirmish game you pick a deck, which you use for the rest of the game. Earning exp during the battle allows you to use a card; card effects are generally units or upgrades. How it works in the campaign is different, though.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Frem wrote: »
    Edit: I imagine the idea of this dime sale was to get people to try out GFWL. Ironically, this is just reminding me why I don't trust any digital distribution service that is not Steam, Impulse, or GOG.com.

You mean like when Valve/Steam gave away Alien Swarm for free?
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    ironically it worked totally fine for me! So obviously your bad experience with GFWL means everybody will have a bad experience

Did either of you read my followup post? My trust issue was partially with the keys and partially with my poor user experience associated with the client. But as long as we're making Steam comparisons? (which I admittedly started :P) The user experience bleeds back to the keys because, unlike how Steam tends to operate when they have blowout sales, GFWL still doesn't have any text on the game page saying that they've temporarily ran out of keys.

subedii wrote: »
    Anyway, on a related topic, it's important to draw a distinction between GFW Marketplace (what this is) and GFW Live (the community system).

The former may yet prove itself a viable storefront.

The latter as it currently stands, is still tripe.

The former may yet prove itself, but right now I think it's still pretty tripe. :wink:

Frem on
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There is a way to cheese your way to the highest level and a full deck if you know the right cheats and you are willing to play a bunch of 2 minute games against the computer. At least that's what me and my friends did for our LAN games.

SLyM on
    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Hey, uh.

If anybody hasn't yet installed it - when you run the installer, it stops midway to prompt you for the key. When it does, could anyone check the download folder to see if all the files are still there? I am inclined to uninstall and re-download it just so I can back up the files and key and not worry about GFW crapping out on me. If my intuition on how it works is right, the installer doesn't check that the GFW client is running at all.

After the installation finishes, the download folder seems to be emptied, so I can't check it any more.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    SLyM wrote: »
    There is a way to cheese your way to the highest level and a full deck if you know the right cheats and you are willing to play a bunch of 2 minute games against the computer. At least that's what me and my friends did for our LAN games.

notepad.exe, edit the homecity xml file :P

Online, exp farming games work pretty great. Spam plantations (320exp per for the other player!), rinse and repeat.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I was able to download the game, extract files from the compressed archive that had been downloaded, and run the installer from that. The Live Marketplace app itself never even try to start the installer on me automatically.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm glad I didn't buy this game when it came out

It is very okay, but it is also super retro in it's design. It's nice to zone out a bit and turtle for thirty minutes, but it ain't an exciting strategy experience

It was worth the price, though!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    well

you guys have apparently reached critical bandwagon mass

i just bought the game

*hops onboard*

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    RBach wrote: »
    I was able to download the game, extract files from the compressed archive that had been downloaded, and run the installer from that. The Live Marketplace app itself never even try to start the installer on me automatically.

So you could install it without having to input a key or anything? How did this work? I also have a keyless version, unfortunately.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    RBachRBach Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh, I still needed the key. But now if I ever need to reinstall all I need to do is drag out the files I backed up, input the product key, and go about my business.

RBach on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    proyebatproyebat GARY WAS HERE ASH IS A LOSERRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hey, since I bought this way back in the day when it first came out, can I put the serial for the vanilla version of the game, or will that permanently cripple my install?

proyebat on
    455Bo4O.png
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    proyebat wrote: »
    Hey, since I bought this way back in the day when it first came out, can I put the serial for the vanilla version of the game, or will that permanently cripple my install?

probably a different key than the 10 cent one as the 10cent one comes with all the expansions

unless the expansions didnt have their own cdkeys.

In other words, at worst you'd have to uninstall and reinstall.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Mine downloaded, gave me a key, installed, accepted the key, and plays fine. It's a fun game, though I'm going to have to get better at getting together troops.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I remember I used to have a build as the dutch where I just massed banks and mercenaries the entire game. I have no idea how well that would actually work against real people though.

SLyM on
    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So some of my buddies are trying to get this game and none of them can get their credit cards to authorize. Anybody know a quick fix for this that I may have overlooked in the past 6 pages?

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Buttcleft wrote: »

probably a different key than the 10 cent one as the 10cent one comes with all the expansions

Well, what would likely happen is that it would say "invalid CD key" and ask for another one.

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I had that issue as well, except with my debit card. Had to bum a card off my mom.

SLyM on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    BTW, given that I think curly haired boy has been here longer than me by quite a bit, I think it would be more accurate to suggest that I am his alt rather than the other way around.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Gaslight wrote: »
    BTW, given that I think curly haired boy has been here longer than me by quite a bit, I think it would be more accurate to suggest that I am his alt rather than the other way around.

Maybe you go both ways. :winky:

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    proyebatproyebat GARY WAS HERE ASH IS A LOSERRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    elliotw2 wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Well, what would likely happen is that it would say "invalid CD key" and ask for another one.

Yep the installer gave me two cd-key prompts, I put my vanilla serial in and the installer continued, up until it asked for another/different serial.

proyebat on
    455Bo4O.png
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Corehealer wrote: »
    Gaslight wrote: »

Maybe you go both ways. :winky:

circular logics!

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    yeah for some reason my GFWL account says i'm UK, and I can't change it to USA, although my Xbox Live account was fine, seriously that is fucked up though

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    ronya wrote: »
    What is this about leveling up your city and getting new cards for your deck? Is that a campaign thing?
    215531100_FujVQ-L-2.jpg

No, it isn't a campaign thing. You pick decks of ~20ish cards out of a set of about 110ish, then during a normal skirmish game you pick a deck, which you use for the rest of the game. Earning exp during the battle allows you to use a card; card effects are generally units or upgrades. How it works in the campaign is different, though.
    Yeah, I finally figured it out. Thanks. I've got Berlin up to level 8 now.

I'm developing a fondness for shelling cities from extreme ranges while my infantry picks off fleeing townsfolk.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    yeah for some reason my GFWL account says i'm UK, and I can't change it to USA, although my Xbox Live account was fine, seriously that is fucked up though

You know you can use your XBL account as your GFWL account, right?

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    StokedUpStokedUp Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Janissaries are awesome.

I won my first (skirmish) game with a horde of janissaries and a few hussars killing settlers. Seems like the AIs are really horrible if i can beat moderate first time trying the game.

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gamertag(SSF4/MW2)StokedAidzzzSC2 ID Stoked.655
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I can't even run the GFWL client long enough for the game to download.

I get in a ways, and I suddenly get a fatal error message and it crashes, making alot of lag as it shuts down.

I'm running on SP3, with XP 32 bit. Any known errors/fixes for this?

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Reinstall .NET and the client.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I got this at home and the client dies with a standard Microsoft error report (somebody else said memory leak).

So I went to my parents' house and helped them buy it there because my sister likes Age of Empires, and it does the exact same thing there.

What the hell. Is there any other way to download this game?

Corrupt .NET installations seem to be the frequent cause of client crashes. Reinstalling might help. Incredibly tedious, though, since it might be any of the 1-4 frameworks and assorted sub versions.

Hey thanks. I had frameworks 1, 2, 3 and 3.5, but not 4, and even though the install let me go ahead with what I had, installing 4 fixed it. I let it go overnight and I'm installing it now.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    holy balls did the campaign get difficult suddenly. Breed's Hill is annoying.

... or maybe there's a trick I'm missing.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Hey, uh.

If anybody hasn't yet installed it - when you run the installer, it stops midway to prompt you for the key. When it does, could anyone check the download folder to see if all the files are still there? I am inclined to uninstall and re-download it just so I can back up the files and key and not worry about GFW crapping out on me. If my intuition on how it works is right, the installer doesn't check that the GFW client is running at all.

After the installation finishes, the download folder seems to be emptied, so I can't check it any more.

They ran out of keys:

http://forums.gamesforwindows.com/p/15700/135170.aspx#135170
    Due to the overwhelming success of the Age of Empires III sale, we have temporarily run out of keys to unlock the game. You can still buy the game at this amazing price and you will get/see a key in the next week. When new keys are added to the system you will be auto-assigned a key, there is no need to call support or take any other action from your end. We will post here on the forums when the keys are available and the next time you click 'View Game Keys' for the game you should be assigned one.

Thank you for your patience and we hope you enjoy the game.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, I know. I got my key before they ran out. I do want to back the install media up, though. I don't trust GFW to remain up.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'll check when/if I get a key today or tomorrow. Do you happen to know what folder it installs to?

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    elliotw2 wrote: »

You know you can use your XBL account as your GFWL account, right?

oh i know, but you see back when I was living with 3 roomates they would bitch at me for using my xbox live account on my computer because it prevented them from playing my call of duty... on my xbox... with my xbox live account...

i was just nice enough to make a separate account so they would stop being silly geese

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I, uh, need to learn to defend my villages better.

I lost about 30 peons in the course of a couple of minutes because one of the AIs marched a bunch of infantry into my village behind the advance of my mortars.

That kind of a population hit can cripple you pretty fast.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Glad everyone likes my news from yesterday. Is the sale still on? Gonna mention to so coworkers if so.

So did any of the expansions include more stuff for the city screen? Cause that thing is amazing. I read at least one expansion didn't even use it in its campaign, so no Aztec home city.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I, uh, need to learn to defend my villages better.

I lost about 30 peons in the course of a couple of minutes because one of the AIs marched a bunch of infantry into my village behind the advance of my mortars.

That kind of a population hit can cripple you pretty fast.

ringing the town bell usually works on lower difficulty levels!

click the town center, click the bell. villagers will hide in buildings and increase building attack.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Machismo wrote: »
    Glad everyone likes my news from yesterday. Is the sale still on? Gonna mention to so coworkers if so.

So did any of the expansions include more stuff for the city screen? Cause that thing is amazing. I read at least one expansion didn't even use it in its campaign, so no Aztec home city.

It was a 1 day sale.

subedii on
  • Options
    cpugeek13cpugeek13 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So, anyone have any tips for playing this online? Anything significant that makes it different from typical RTS games?

cpugeek13 on
  • Options
    The Big LevinskyThe Big Levinsky Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I got this at home and the client dies with a standard Microsoft error report (somebody else said memory leak).

So I went to my parents' house and helped them buy it there because my sister likes Age of Empires, and it does the exact same thing there.

What the hell. Is there any other way to download this game?

Corrupt .NET installations seem to be the frequent cause of client crashes. Reinstalling might help. Incredibly tedious, though, since it might be any of the 1-4 frameworks and assorted sub versions.

I was having the same problem. The GFWL stand alone client opened up, ran super slow, had a huge memory leak then died. Turns out I did not have the .NET Framework 4 installed. I installed it, updated it and now it appears to be working.

You'd think that there would be some way for Microsoft to try and detect if you had all necessary components installed and warn you if you didn't.

The Big Levinsky on