Options

Age of Empires 3 (Buy for Ten cents from M$, Sunday only)

1235»

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    It actually checks that when you first install the client, just ticks right past it...is .net installed? Yeah. But it doesn't care if it's the wrong version. I don't even understand how a wrong version of .net would suddenly cause memory leaks.

Anyway, looking up info about this game, it seems more simplified and combat heavy than I usually go for. It actually looks like it's got about the same amount of units and buildings as Age of Empires 1. But whatever, 10 cents. I've got Rise of Nations, I can play that if I want something on a grander scale.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I figured they'd run out of keys.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    LavaKnight wrote: »
    I'll check when/if I get a key today or tomorrow. Do you happen to know what folder it installs to?

You can see this if you load up the GFW client and click on Settings. It'll give you the folder paths for downloads, demos, games, etc.

SteevL on
  • Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I got my key today because I was a bit late to it yesterday. Hopefully everyone else will have their keys too.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    Tumbler 360Tumbler 360 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Anyone else unable to get Games for Windows to install? I've played DoW2 on my pc and when I try and start this thing it just sits at a splash screen for a min then it's gone. No error, no nothing, just doesn't start. There is an update for windows 7, .net framework thingy, that keeps failing... anyone have a similar issue?

Tumbler 360 on
  • Options
    StokedUpStokedUp Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    cpugeek13 wrote: »
    So, anyone have any tips for playing this online? Anything significant that makes it different from typical RTS games?

From what I've read so far (i'm also a AOE3 noob) the big difference to this RTS is the home city thing.

Its basically a deck of 20 cards that can be sent to you in game as you gain exp by killing, or gathering resrouces and so on.

So if your going for a rush of some type, the cards you put in will directly affect the strength of your rush.

For example, some cards send you resources and some send you units or upgrades to a unit type. Some even upgrade your ability to gather resources or build trading posts.

edit: there also seems to be different politicians you can take as you advance in ages that give you stuff. This game has alot more depth than i thought it would.

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Gamertag(SSF4/MW2)StokedAidzzzSC2 ID Stoked.655
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    ronya wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I, uh, need to learn to defend my villages better.

I lost about 30 peons in the course of a couple of minutes because one of the AIs marched a bunch of infantry into my village behind the advance of my mortars.

That kind of a population hit can cripple you pretty fast.

ringing the town bell usually works on lower difficulty levels!

click the town center, click the bell. villagers will hide in buildings and increase building attack.
    I'll have to try that. I had no idea it was an option. Thanks.

So far I've just been letting them get shot in the face while performing their villager duties. It is less effective as a defensive strategy than I had hoped.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Anyone else unable to get Games for Windows to install? I've played DoW2 on my pc and when I try and start this thing it just sits at a splash screen for a min then it's gone. No error, no nothing, just doesn't start. There is an update for windows 7, .net framework thingy, that keeps failing... anyone have a similar issue?

Uninstall all the assorted versions of the .NET framework and reinstall them (after you uninstall and restart, they should be listed in Windows Update as optional updates).

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    devCharles wrote: »
    So I got my key today because I was a bit late to it yesterday. Hopefully everyone else will have their keys too.

I got mine this evening also.
    Oh frabjous day! Callooh! Callay! (Frem chortled in his joy.)

Frem on
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So my Dutch "make billions of banks then mercenaries out the wazoo" strategy seems like it still works.

SLyM on
    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Berlin is level 29. I figure I'll get it to 30 and then try someone else.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Been playing ottoman. Simple and good.

Wherre can we find the strengths/weaknesses of each?

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I have to fight the urge to turtle. I get so busy building my empire that I'm not ready when I need to go on the offensive.

BTW, is there a reason the asian version has all the content as opposed to the other two?

OptimusZed on

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Asian Dynasties was the last xpack released. They just stacked on top of each other. If you installed War Chiefs it installed over the base game and you just ran War Chiefs; likewise with Asian Dynasties.

All the cities and campaigns are still there.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited November 2010
    StokedUp wrote: »

There's this. I guess each civilization also has a unique card deck, though? It's not obvious to me exactly how different the decks are or how much they influence the game, though.

Here's another civilization guide for the base game and some multiplayer strategies of unknown effectiveness. It does have a counters chart, which should be handy. For some reason "Velociraptors counter mobile plasma cannons" is more intuitive for me than "Musketeers counter Ranged Calvary."

Frem on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Ahhh I see.

Well so far this game is pretty fun online. Had some great 3v3 s on caribean and amazonia.

But my god the matchmaking and joining multiplayer games in general is soooo frustrating.

StokedUp on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Uploaded SC2 Replays
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Cheesing through the campaigns is hilarious. Hey, Saratoga doesn't actually require you to destroy the first three fortress carts...
    so why not slaughter half the enemy before moving on to the let's-build-a-base portion of the map? The enemy gets a town center cart the same time you do, only you can be waiting at their base with a cannon when they do! Map done, on Hard.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    PeachrocksPeachrocks Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah was a decent game. Until ES fell apart leaving its expansion hideously imbalanced to how it remains to this very day unless you get the fan patch for it. Vanilla is pretty imba too though.

A good game if you can overlook that. Had many fun times with it.

Peachrocks on
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I dunno, I think the expansions really ruined the game for me. It lost the 'new world' charm when they brought in Japan, India, etc. Even the Natives really broke the whole 'black powder era' theme.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Apogee wrote: »
    I dunno, I think the expansions really ruined the game for me. It lost the 'new world' charm when they brought in Japan, India, etc. Even the Natives really broke the whole 'black powder era' theme.

Possibly, but eh I look at the game play 'usually'. That and I like native americans. Was super bummed when the Inca weren't playable as a major civ. Anyway...
    StokedUp wrote: »

I could tell you. I'm assuming expansion here, but its little different. Might be TL;DR for most, but I'm bored here.

There is an important thing to know about this game. It was designed with the intention to remove turtle. The counter system isn't turtle>rush>boom>turtle (or econ). Its boom>tech(getting to age 3 fast)>rush. More so in the base game than in its expansions, the expansions complicated things a bit as tech got nerfed a bit.

Britain
    Obviously a boom civ, but have a pretty capable defence and rush too.

Strengths: Best boom civ on land, easily. Decent late game and decent allround units.

Weaknesses: Raiding. The Brits have more settlers to protect, thus making raids have a higher chance of success. If you do not wish to attack a British player you must at least raid them or else they are going to eat you alive.

France
    Well rounded civ. Somewhat anti rush.

Strengths: Near unbeatable late game. If France gets to age IV, or worse age 5, and you do not have an advantage over them, you are in a lot of bad smelling yogurt. Also decent at anti rush with their villagers capable of defending against ranged threats.

Weaknesses: Vills don't die faster from hand cavalry raids but are more expensive when you do kill one, abuse this when facing them. Poor on water compared to other European civs, play the economy on water if you can. Don't really have any strengths aside anti rush, until the late game, if you can take advantage of this, do so.

Germany
    Also well rounded civ. A lot like France, but have better raiding/economic capabilities at the cost of a slightly weaker end game.

Strengths: If you like raiding settlers and don't want to or can't play Sioux, play Germany. Uhlans are excellent raiders and you get them free with shipments. Taking trade posts is powerful for Germany for more free Uhlans.

Weaknesses: Slower shipments can spell disaster if mismanaged. Need to be careful of their settler wagons. They are a prime target for any raider. Uhlans can struggle against massive amounts of ranged units. That higher attack is useless if they are dead before they reach the target :|.

Portugal
    More passive boom civ. Very good ranged cavalry/artillery. Strong late game, can stand up to France on occasion. I think the Organ gun buff made it into the vanilla game...

Strengths: They can turtle, but like I said this is usually unadviseable. Fantastic on water. Water gives Portugal a big advantage.

Weaknesses: No water = tough time for Portugal. Either way make your attacks count against them before they can make the most of their extra villager production. They are spending extra resources for their villagers, which means less on army even though they can use the extra TC's to protect villagers.

Spain
    Very aggressive civ. Designed to be all round, but doesn't do a good job of it.

Strengths: Shipments of age 2 or age 3 units early on can quickly overwhelm opponents to gain an advantage. Spain was OP for nearly 2 years for age 3 rushes.

Weaknesses: Horrid late game. Spain must win the game early or mid, or else their bonus becomes less and less significant. Playing against Spain simply requires you to stay even or even a little bit behind. If Spain can't convert the win, the game will shift into your favour.

Dutch
    Economic middle game civ. Can afford to be a bit more passive than most civs, because they don't need to fight for gold mines as much.

Strengths: Best mid game economy. If the Dutch get away with this, they will be near impossible to beat.

Weaknesses: Worst late game economy. The Dutch might have 150 military population, but that's not much use if they can't afford the units. Don't suffer pressures as much as Spain do, but its dangerous to be in the late game too long as Dutch unless you've got the economy to support it.

Russians
    Rush and raid civ. Fair economy.

Strengths: Can rush well, but they need to make it count. Also quite fair economically. Oprinchniks are extremely nasty late game, use and abuse these often.

Weaknesses: Poor against cavalry, Russia's anti cavalry units are poorer than other civs for various reasons. Always field a few horses against a Russian player. Can be slow early on in the game if they choose to play economically.

Ottomans
    Rush civ. Stupidly enough ES's intention for these guys was to be defensive. Fantastic no?

Strengths: Abus guns are quite strong per cost. Janissary rush will defeat most inexperienced players, but better players won't be so easily beaten :). A good beginners civ, despite what the book that came with the game tells you... hardest civ my ass. Just keep the mosque upgrades in mind.

Weaknesses: Horrid economy. Absolutely horrid. The Ottomans need trade posts and/or water in order to survive or else its a forced rush and likely a game over.

Native civs

Iroquois
    Versatile civ. Not so well rounded, but in terms of adapting...

Strengths: Insanely versatile. The starting travois allows the Iroquois to do a wide range of strategies. They are excellent at adapting to most situations.

Weaknesses: Mediocre late game/economy. Mediocre hand cavalry.

Sioux
    King raiding civ. If you like raiding, this is the civ you want. No doubt.

Strengths: Did I mention Sioux are good at raiding? Fair age 3 options as well.

Weaknesses: Not good at much else. Poor late game compared to Russia who can do the same thing as Sioux can once they get Oprichniks online. Lack of walls can hurt them late game too, making it harder to protect your already shaky late game economy.

Aztecs
    Power play civ. Able to do things that put a lot of power out in a short period of time.

Strengths: Able to commit strongly to a given area of your civ with their dances. Fairly good late game.

Weaknesses: If you call wrongly, it will cost you worse than with other civs. Also pretty poor anti Heavy infantry late game.

Asian civs

Japan
    Defensive/upgrade civ.

Strengths: Capable of accumlating ridiculous number of upgrades. Can protect economy fairly easily.

Weaknesses: Artillery and Hand cavalry can ruin them pretty badly if they are not prepared for them. Can't afford to get complacent at any time, must be ready to deal with given threats or they will lose.

China
    Massing civ

Strengths: Fair options throughout the game. Very strong late game, only Portugal and France can match it.

Weakness: Horribly slow early on. You will need to defend hard against an aggressive opponent. Need to get out of age 2 ASAP. Continually using Age 2 banner armies will result in China getting too many Archers and not enough pikes and cavalry since those units will die in engagements and in order to get more of either, you need to build more archers, unless you have the right minor natives.

India
    Building civ, but has potential to dabble.

Strengths: Very strong anti cavalry, and age 2 Ghurka and age 3 shipped Urumi take advantage. Excellent Sepoy rush too. Similar to Ottoman rush.

Weaknesses: Hand cavalry and anti infantry elephants sort of stink. Villagers are more expensive than anyone elses, losing them will cost you dearly.

Well... that was a long post... hope nobody minded :|.

Peachrocks on
  • Options
    November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Nothing is more satisfying on Thanksgiving morning than bringing up your galleons to fire on opposing villagers while you watch the Macy's Parade.

November Fifth on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Peachrocks wrote: »

Not at all. Most excellent.

Frem on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Frem wrote: »
    Peachrocks wrote: »

Not at all. Most excellent.

Did some looking too. Missed this game, might give it a roll again. Though its connection issues online gave me much frustration like no other game has.
    Frem wrote: »

This is an interesting read. I can talk about effectiveness in my opinion if you like. I reached PR 37 at one stage if that means anything to anyone. On the most part its very good and accurate. A touch outdated, but still quite accurate.
    Rush
    Best: Spanish, German, French, Ottoman, Russian
    Worst Civs: Portuguese, Dutch

Hm. I think someone is asking to get bum raped by my Portuguese omg I can't believe its natives rush. Portugal can age up super early and can't get 3 vills as their first shipment like almost everyone else. There is a benefit though. They can keep the shipment and ship 8 xbow/6 musket, or the more fun alternative is using advanced trading post and spamming natives at them. Dismissing Portugal as a rushing civ can be a serious mistake, especially if the natives are good. They can use that second TC as extra help on their forward base and use it to deliver units.

The Native varient is more widely known in the upper tier community as super fun fun (mostly because at the time, that's what the minor natives were mostly good for). That said, Portugal rush strategy came into the game a bit later than this guide was made, so I'll let it go. It's otherwise accurate.

Spain is also questionable. It can be done, but its not great.
    Boom
    Best Civs: Dutch, Russia, British, Portuguese
    Worst Civs: Ottoman
    No objections here. Though be cautious of Germany too. German trade post booms can be serious stuff. However you know can scout this just by looking at the score.
    Turtle
    Best Civs: Portugal, Russian, British
    Worst Civs: Ottoman
    Only Portugal can do this and its not adviseable. The Brits should never do this, ever. They chew resources up around them so fast, they HAVE to expand from their shell or their vill advantage disappears.
    Fast Fortress
    Best Civs: Portugal, Ottoman, Spanish, Germany
    Worst Civs: Dutch, Russian
    France is missing from the best list and Russia should not be on it and the British should be. Brit FF has nothing good. Russia has a few alright options, early Oprichis, Kalmucks (church card Dragoons to negate cav weakness for a time), making a boomy fortress with three TC's with cheap villagers.

There is one they haven't mentioned but this came about later than the guides making. For it's time its exceptionally accurate.

Semi FF
    Best Civs: Dutch, France, Germany, Portugal, Russia
    Worst civs: Britain

Idea is simple, its exactly what it is. You generally send a small amount of units (5 hussar/cossack/uhlan/axe rider) to raid and check on what the opponent is doing. Dutch, France, Sioux, Germany, Russia and Portugal were all good at it either because they had good age 3 options and/or good raiding cavalry in age 2. Usually this had an economic twist like sending wood to build banks as Dutch or sending unit upgrade cards for Russia, Sioux and France (which are better in the expansions).

The risk you have when you FF is that you are exposed to a rush. A Semi FF minimises the risk because you attack at relatively the same time and will know he plans to rush you and can decide to abort the semi or go for it and hope your shipments can overwhelm their army before he can kill you. If the opponent is booming, all the better because you can hurt them a bit while they do this, meaning they get less return later.

Semi FF's were very common at the highest level and popular. They are generally beaten by FF's that are faster, or if the raiding fails to do any significant damage to a boomer.

Peachrocks on