As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So whats the point of having ONLY a 360, or a PS3 when there's barely any exclusives?

McGeeMcGee Registered User regular
edited November 2010 in Games and Technology
I don't understand the concept of this. Honestly, it makes me wish that Sony and Microsoft merge together and make 1 single gaming system (similar to a DVD player), rather having all these systems spread out. And honestly, what's the point? The only Microsoft exclusives that are coming out is Gears 3...that's it. Last year, the whole list basically was composed of Reach, Alan Wake, and Fable III, and Mass Effect 2.

While the PS3 has more exclusives coming out next year, almost all of them have confirmed going multiplat.

Insomniac new ip going multiplat
Sucker Punch considering going multiplat with there new ip's
Gurrila going multiplat with new ip
Bungie going multi with new ip
Naughty Dog going multiplat with there 2 new ip's

The days of developers lining themselves up with one exclusive console is over. In the next few years, when we see the big exclusive ps3 devs come with there new ips, the list of exclusives will be diminished to point, where it consists of 1 or 2 games per year. In 2007 when Bioshock came out, it was such a good feeling to laugh at the ps3 owners and say "hahah, you don't get to play Bioshock!"

So what's the point? I can't imagine Sony, or Microsoft being to happy. So what's the point of having 2 consoles, why not simply merge them together, and have Sony for the hardware, and Microsoft for the software.

It's getting sad if you ask me. :x

So what do you think? What do you think could be the solution?

McGee on

Posts

  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The days of developers aligning with one console or another died last generation. Remember the Capcom 5?

    Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm trying to imagine why exclusives would ever be a good thing from the point of view of a console owner, and coming up blank. There's plenty of reasons why its good for the companies, and I suppose there might be porting issues, but if you want exclusives so you can laugh at people who bought the console? Grow up.

    Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    McGeeMcGee Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    I'm trying to imagine why exclusives would ever be a good thing from the point of view of a console owner, and coming up blank. There's plenty of reasons why its good for the companies, and I suppose there might be porting issues, but if you want exclusives so you can laugh at people who bought the console? Grow up.

    How about the Sony fans grow up. You know how much shit I've heard from PS3 owners about how they have Demons Souls, and Last Guardian. Where we have nothing but generic fps.

    McGee on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    McGee wrote: »
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    I'm trying to imagine why exclusives would ever be a good thing from the point of view of a console owner, and coming up blank. There's plenty of reasons why its good for the companies, and I suppose there might be porting issues, but if you want exclusives so you can laugh at people who bought the console? Grow up.

    How about the Sony fans grow up. You know how much shit I've heard from PS3 owners about how they have Demons Souls, and Last Guardian. Where we have nothing but generic fps.

    Or you could just not go to shitty forums where console wars are still things that exist.

    mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Naughty Dog are owned by Sony. So are Guerilla. Even if Sucker Punch do go multi-platform, Sly and Infamous belong to Sony so that's them tied up for the foreseeable future.

    There will always be some exclusive games for each platform. If you want them badly enough you'll buy every system. It's not like they're super expensive.

    Also lol internet console wars.

    Moioink on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    McGee wrote: »
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    I'm trying to imagine why exclusives would ever be a good thing from the point of view of a console owner, and coming up blank. There's plenty of reasons why its good for the companies, and I suppose there might be porting issues, but if you want exclusives so you can laugh at people who bought the console? Grow up.

    How about the Sony fans grow up. You know how much shit I've heard from PS3 owners about how they have Demons Souls, and Last Guardian. Where we have nothing but generic fps.

    Or you could just not go to shitty forums where console wars are still things that exist.

    More or less. That kinda shit just doesn't seem to go on here in any serious manner whatsoever. This is one of the better, more intelligent forums I've ever been on; regardless of subject matter. To say nothing of the moderation being exactly what it's supposed to be (and I say this is as someone with a few infractions).

    chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If you have one or two exclusive games you play a great deal, I personally think that warrants purchasing the console they came on. Not necessarily at full price, mind you, but I think it's reasonable.

    Synthesis on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Lol sony and microsoft idiots

    Get dreamcast or get out, your consoles aint got shit on it

    override367 on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I bought a PS3 mainly for MGS4 despite not really caring for MGS2 or 3 in the least. Despite my PS3 shitting the bed on me, I still think it was a worthwhile purchase.

    chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You know what? I actually agree. The last game that I actually missed because it was 360 exclusive was Shadow complex. And before that, Alan wake, which in retrospect was more because of how poorly MS handled taking the PC version away than actually caring about the game itself. Heck, I was kind of excited about the news that they were actually porting Fable 3 to PC, but now that it hasn't come out, I realized that I didn't even care about it anyway!

    Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    chasm wrote: »
    I bought a PS3 mainly for MGS4 despite not really caring for MGS2 or 3 in the least. Despite my PS3 shitting the bed on me, I still think it was a worthwhile purchase.

    Do you play MGS4 a lot? I bought my PS3 exclusively for one game as well--that, and I had very bad luck with PS2s before that point.

    If you do, I'd say it was worth it. I ended up buying another game--while that's a small library, I still think it was a worthwhile purchase as well.

    Synthesis on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm glad the console manufacturers remain seperate, to keep pushing the hardware and software innovation and drive costs down.

    I mean, think $599 OLOL was bad? Think the RROD was a pain n the arse? Imagine if Sony or Microsoft dominated the market.

    The only other option would be Wii or PC. Or handhelds or mobile, or streaming services...

    I don't know where I'm going with this.

    But yeah, the increasing rarity of console exclusives is a bit weird. I prefer it though; so annoying to miss out on good games. Also I can't be arsed with piles of consoles and peripherals gathered around the TV, it's bad enough with just the 360.

    Still there is always XBLA/XBLIG vs PSN, a few more exclusives there!

    fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Synthesis wrote: »
    chasm wrote: »
    I bought a PS3 mainly for MGS4 despite not really caring for MGS2 or 3 in the least. Despite my PS3 shitting the bed on me, I still think it was a worthwhile purchase.

    Do you play MGS4 a lot? I bought my PS3 exclusively for one game as well--that, and I had very bad luck with PS2s before that point.

    If you do, I'd say it was worth it. I ended up buying another game--while that's a small library, I still think it was a worthwhile purchase as well.

    I played through it four or five times and wound up picking up Valkyria Chronicles as well.

    chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I absolutely do not regret owning both the PS3 and the 360. While the 360 tends to be the platform that I get all the multi-platform games on, I will never sell my PS3. Admittedly, a lot of the reasons why I will never get rid of the PS3 comes down to personal preference (i.e., it's a quieter DVD player, it has Blu-Ray, the D-pad is better than the 360's), I do approach video gaming as a broad experience that I want to enjoy on as many levels as possible, similar to novels and other media.

    The PS3 simply provides games that I would rather not miss, like Demon's Souls, Uncharted, God of War 3 and the remastered God of War 1&2, Sly Cooper Collection and Ico/Shadow of the Colossus. While it does contribute to an ever growing backlog (especially this time of the year when sales are crazy), it means that I will never have that moment of "I wish I could experience this." Personally, that was worth my $400 investment in the extra machine.

    DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    chasm wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    chasm wrote: »
    I bought a PS3 mainly for MGS4 despite not really caring for MGS2 or 3 in the least. Despite my PS3 shitting the bed on me, I still think it was a worthwhile purchase.

    Do you play MGS4 a lot? I bought my PS3 exclusively for one game as well--that, and I had very bad luck with PS2s before that point.

    If you do, I'd say it was worth it. I ended up buying another game--while that's a small library, I still think it was a worthwhile purchase as well.

    I played through it four or five times and wound up picking up Valkyria Chronicles as well.

    You're pretty close to me in that regards, I suppose.

    Except I was lucky--I bought a used BC PS3, and, other than running unusually hot, has held up well. Though that might be karma for having gone through so many PS2s. I also feel my purchase was worthwhile.

    Synthesis on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So the question is "what is the point of owning just a PS3 or 360 when there's barely any exclusives?"

    The point is that I don't have to pay three hundred dollars to buy another console

    That's the point

    You silly, silly goose

    Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    If there's barely any exclusives, that actually justifies having only one, since most games are shared. :P

    Henroid on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    If there's barely any exclusives, that actually justifies having only one, since most games are shared. :P

    Yeah, like

    how is this even a question

    Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The 360 have a much better online experience and the PS3 haves the blu-ray.

    Honestly, there is no reason to favor one console of the other.

    Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I actually agree with you Casually, but I can certainly appreciate that some people would have reasons to favor one over the other.

    For example, not caring about Blu-ray films (because, let's face it, BR are not going to replace DVDs like DVDs replaced VHS), or not caring about online play (some people foresake multiplayer entirely).

    Synthesis on
  • Options
    McGeeMcGee Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The 360 have a much better online experience and the PS3 haves the blu-ray.

    Honestly, there is no reason to favor one console of the other.

    Well it's not like I have the money for both.

    I don't even consider the Wii as a gaming machine. While there's some good games, it seems most of there library is filled with shitty games like Barbies Adventure, or the price is right. Honestly, the wii library is filled with 85% Crap, and 15% Good, quality, even classic games.

    McGee on
This discussion has been closed.