As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays

• Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ya..
    That and having hills EVERYWHERE :P

I was sad hearing about how public transit was shitty :(

skettios on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    so basically, what you're telling me is to live inside the city when I move there?

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Live near where you work and you'll be good.

skettios on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    well find me some work! huphuphup

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Pretty much

Now hurry up and move, we could use a Mysst party up ins

Usagi on
  • Options
    CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    in last year's big snow there were cars stuck up on the turnpike for 20+ hours

CrackedLens on
    XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Usagi wrote: »
    Pretty much

Now hurry up and move, we could use a Mysst party up ins

I have seriously been thinking about looking for work up there in the coming year, depending on things.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    A few years back, when I worked a job with a 1.5 hour commute, my train got stuck in the snow and the busses were all over the place, turning a half hour train ride into a six hour journey.

When I finally got to work, my colleagues were shocked that I even bothered. But by golly, I worked my remaining two and a half hours before I left.

(At which point the problems had been fixed and I had an unobstructed journey home.)

Legba on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    At my last job, I was so glad we were set up to work remotely. So when we'd get the occasional weather bad enough to screw things up, I'd just connect in and work on it that way. Or when the idiots would get squished by the trains. Man, that always screwed things up for a couple of hours.

And in job news, looks like I'm going to have a couple choices coming up here. Another trading firm wants to start up an algo group and are looking at possibly hiring us.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I just got an email telling me that the rejection email I'd had for a job I really wanted was in error! Sadly, it was that the reason was wrong, it wasn't a case of nationality. But they hadn't claimed they were rejecting me for English in the first place.

Evidently somebody just wanted to build my hopes up and dash them/

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Verdigris wrote: »
    Langly wrote: »
    Hey, so quick Microsoft Access question:

I am making a chart that I want to display some applicant information. Namely, it shows how many applicants we get from cities in each state. So, like, the chart will show a stacking bar, with each section of the bar representing the amount of applicants from that city, in that state. I've made the chart, but now what I want to do is spit that information out in like, a written format, without having to go through my excell file and just count them. Is that possible? Does that even make sense?

Not clear on whether your data is in an Excel workbook or an Access database, but:

If it's in Excel, your best option is to create a pivot table for your data range (make sure you put the pivot table in its own worksheet). For best results, convert your data into a regular table, then you just click anywhere in the table and click the Create Pivot Table button and follow the prompts.

If it's in Access, you want to create a query of city name, state name, and applicants. Set city and state to "Group by" and applicants to "count of." Then you can generate your report from that query.

Thank you and Yukira, this makes much more sense. I can't get at it over the long weekend, but on Monday this will be the best.

Langly on
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    man I wanna play Magic Pengel

I hope I can find it.

Depressperado on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I just got an email telling me that the rejection email I'd had for a job I really wanted was in error! Sadly, it was that the reason was wrong, it wasn't a case of nationality. But they hadn't claimed they were rejecting me for English in the first place.

Evidently somebody just wanted to build my hopes up and dash them/

That seems like a needlessly cruel way of covering their backs in case of a lawsuit (which I assume is the reason an email like that is sent out).

Legba on
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So I have a job again.

Can I post in here now?

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    grats! what're you doing?

skettios on
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Thanks. :)

Directing traffic at the Sea World near my house.

Going back to fill out my W2s and do my drug test later today.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    They drug test you to direct traffic at sea world?

that is totally bogus

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    T. J. Nutty Nub T. J. Nutty Nub Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Fandyien wrote: »
    They drug test you to direct traffic at sea world?

that is totally bogus

Haven't you seen reefer madness? I don't want someone like that directing traffic.

T. J. Nutty Nub on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It's company policy apparently.

Not that I mind too much, it means that I have an excuse to chug Mountain Dew all day. :P

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I find it hilarious that I work in special education and don't need to pass a drug test, but for my hobby (track) I need to pass random ones.

Jyardana on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Hilarious, or kind of sad?

Legba on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It actually is really sad.

Jyardana on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    To me it seems like in sports it would be more important than in regular work, to prevent cheating.

Of course being a heroine fiend in charge of special ed kids would be kind of unfortunate.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Ruby RhodRuby Rhod Multipass!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    To me it seems like in sports it would be more important than in regular work, to prevent cheating.

Of course being a heroine fiend in charge of special ed kids would be kind of unfortunate.

Or the story for my new sitcom.

Ruby Rhod on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Oh I agree, it certainly is necessary in sports. However there wasn't even an initial, one time drug test to get the job. I figured $50 for the district to know you aren't a meth addict would be money well spent.

Jyardana on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    ah, well there's the trick: school districts have no money

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    As evidenced by my paychecks :(

Jyardana on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Jyardana wrote: »
    Oh I agree, it certainly is necessary in sports. However there wasn't even an initial, one time drug test to get the job. I figured $50 for the district to know you aren't a meth addict would be money well spent.

To be fair, I'd imagine a meth addict would be easy enough to spot at the job interview.

You could probably be a badass stoner and get away with it though, as long as you don't toke up on the job.

Legba on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    So apparently they cut your hair for drug tests now.

I did not get to pee in a plastic cup.

Curses. :(

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Office politics re: sending out work I've done and letting people use work I've done is ridiculous.

And everyone is refusing to talk about it too, they do the whole, "ohhh, I'm not supposed to talk about this" act.

Aphostile on
    Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Oh, hello, what's this
    Oh they are the cookies I brought home after work because nobody bought them during the day

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I am slowly going mad. Moving out + crunching = too much stress for a two week time period.

I will be glad when the 1st of December rolls around and I have only 1 place to worry about, rather than 3.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ok, so Ive got a question.

I was working at a restaurant, they closed on saturday to turn into another place. They want me to come back and I plan on it. However the job isnt the best and Ive been looking for a new place. What I want to know, is how do I put this on my resume? Ive already got the first place on there and sayin Im still employed there, but when I come back even though it sounds like its basically going to be the same staff and everything, it will be a new place. Do I need to put two different listings for them on my resume? Thats gonna take up more space, and it might look bad to only be at that one place for a couple months, then the next place Ill have only been there for a little bit.

Also as a side bit: if Im goin to places now, what am I supposed to do about my current place not having a phone number and technically not being in business? Should I just explain that when I talk to someone I guess?

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Lardalish wrote: »
    Ok, so Ive got a question.

I was working at a restaurant, they closed on saturday to turn into another place. They want me to come back and I plan on it. However the job isnt the best and Ive been looking for a new place. What I want to know, is how do I put this on my resume? Ive already got the first place on there and sayin Im still employed there, but when I come back even though it sounds like its basically going to be the same staff and everything, it will be a new place. Do I need to put two different listings for them on my resume? Thats gonna take up more space, and it might look bad to only be at that one place for a couple months, then the next place Ill have only been there for a little bit.

Also as a side bit: if Im goin to places now, what am I supposed to do about my current place not having a phone number and technically not being in business? Should I just explain that when I talk to someone I guess?

I would put a Original Name/ New Name with your full time at both, with a brief explanation if your resume has room. As for the phone number thing, thats tricky.

Jyardana on
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    New Place Name (formerly Old Place Name)

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

But my cocaine shampoo gives my hair so much body and fullness!

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I'm not letting the man stop me piss into plastic cups. I'll just bring my own samples.

They use hair because it's a longer term record of drug use, that way a random test won't just say if you've been using in the last couple of days, it'll be the last few months.

The answer is bicing your head. And your eyes brows. And your pubes. And ass crack. Just shaving and waxing and plucking all over. Foolproof

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    They're also not FDA approved and amusingly enough, hair tests are less accurate for detecting marijuana than urine tests.

Kakodaimonos on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Cover letters can be tricky. Sounding enthusiastic about Environment, Health & Safety Analysis? The job itself does sound potentially interesting, but phrasing it in such a way to not sound trite is bullshit.

Also, had a call from a recruiter today. Nice to see that my CV is getting out there.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Cover letters can be tricky. Sounding enthusiastic about Environment, Health & Safety Analysis? The job itself does sound potentially interesting, but phrasing it in such a way to not sound trite is bullshit.

Also, had a call from a recruiter today. Nice to see that my CV is getting out there.

Thats damn reassuring though to hear you are writing each cover letter tailored to the job. That may sound dumb, but I can't believe the amount of friends that I've talked to that have generic cover letters that they only modify slightly even if the jobs are entirely different.

They then wonder why they can't land interviews. Its like, you spent 4 years (or more) in college to just stop trying when it matters the most?

Jyardana on
This discussion has been closed.