As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect 3: HOLIDAY 2011 MOTHERFUCKERS

• Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Not cool thread title, not cool.

Why do you hate humanity?

Astale on
  • Options
    EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Studies show: more people will approve of the new thread title than disapprove.

Emporium on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Depends on your definition of "people", hippy.

Astale on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Man, I just... what.

Soldier?

Male soldier?

Jesus people. Do you hate fun?

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Astale wrote: »
    Depends on your definition of "people", hippy.

I uhh...what?

Emporium on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    You are clearly an Elcor. And as such, you do not count.

Astale on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Giving Cerberus more ways to kill humans is clearly hating humans :rotate:

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    We've had some personnel issues, this is true.

However, we have made great strides towards bringing down the number of horrible death incidents now that we have recruited the well-known Commander Shepard to our workplace team!

GREAT STRIDES.

Astale on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    And giving advanced technology to a known terrorist organization always works out for the best.

Oh god its starting, what have I done

Emporium on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Spoit wrote: »

you know what would really kill a lot of humans

a reaper fleet

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    eeSanGeeSanG I slice like a goddamn hammer. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    -Tal wrote: »

a reaper fleet

Yeah, giving Cerberus the base means the reaper fleet kills less humans. Since there are less humans alive. Since Cerberus killed them.

eeSanG on
    LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

a reaper fleet

You know who we should put in charge of highly dangerous alien technology we can barely comprehend?

Not the guys who need Shepard to bail their asses out every time they touch it.

Z0re on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Z0re wrote: »

a reaper fleet

You know who we should put in charge of highly dangerous alien technology we can barely comprehend?

By "it", do you mean their assess or the highly dangerous alien technology we can barely comprehend

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Cerberus lieutenant -Tal makes a good point. If you take the view that every Cerberus employee is destined to failure, and Shepard is technically a Cerberus employee, then the reapers are going to win and everyone is going to die. Would you rather die the good ol' fashioned way and A) be perforated by the pulse rifles of rogue geth, B) have your flesh seared off by Thorian creeper vomit, C) be beaten to death and/or electrocuted by mindless husks, D) be injected with painful, lethal chemicals, E) get impaled by giant insects...OR be pureed in a blender and have a giant, arrogant alien robot suck your milkshake up through a straw?

Cerberus is a mercy service.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I dunno, blending doesn't sound that bad when put up in those terms.

Orca on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Man, I just... what.

Soldier?

Male soldier?

I'm sure your kind thought Scott Pilgrim would be an incredible box office smash too. :P

Vanilla sells, believe it or not.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Man, I just... what.

Soldier?

Male soldier?

I'm sure your kind thought Scott Pilgrim would be an incredible box office smash too. :P

If I wanted to play a 3rd person shooter, I'd go play a 3rd person shooter. I don't play Bioware games for t3h wicked comboz. Adept all the way. And Jedis focusing on Force Powers.

But I'm not gonna lie. For most of ME2, the only thing I used was Singularity. If I can be a Soldier and just Element Zero my way to the biotics I want, I'll do that this time.

In fact I just rented Mass Effect 1 so I can import the bonuses and outcomes that I want.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Cerberus would get their hands on the technology no matter who you gave it to, and Cerberus isn't going to be able to keep it to themselves either.

The choice is whether you want it out there at all or not, and it's too valuable to just throw away. Keeping it is risky, especially with incompetent terrorists hanging out, but it's even riskier not to have it. You're not going to finish this war without major casualties. People complain that at the end of ME2, you're in the same position as you were at the end of ME1. The Collector base is a step forward.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Z0re wrote: »

a reaper fleet

By "it", do you mean their assess or the highly dangerous alien technology we can barely comprehend

I was going to reply the highly dangerous alien technology we can barely comprehend,

But then I remembered project Lazarus. Project Overlord. The Thorian Creeper breeding program. The Rachni breeding program. The Thresher Maw program.

so... both.

Z0re on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Orca wrote: »
    I dunno, blending doesn't sound that bad when put up in those terms.

You only have to choose* one though! It's not all of the above - you might just get shot!

Choice is subject to availability while supplies last and the purpose of the particular cell that kidnapped you. Some restrictions may apply. All species eligible, but humans preferred. No purchase necessary for entry into sweepstakes.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The default is the best because the editor is kinda crappy

tofu on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Cerberus would get their hands on the technology no matter who you gave it to, and Cerberus isn't going to be able to keep it to themselves either.

The choice is whether you want it out there at all or not, and it's too valuable to just throw away. Keeping it is risky, especially with incompetent terrorists hanging out, but it's even riskier not to have it. You're not going to finish this war without major casualties. People complain that at the end of ME2, you're in the same position as you were at the end of ME1. The Collector base is a step forward.

See, I have to disagree with you there on the bolded part. If we could've given the base to the alliance, great, Cerberus would get it too, whatever. But I have a very hard time believing that anyone outside of Cerberus would ever benefit from the technology recovered from the base.

The whole base is a pandora's box, and I didn't want to open it up on the galaxy.

Emporium on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Cantido wrote: »
    Man, I just... what.

Soldier?

Male soldier?

If I wanted to play a 3rd person shooter, I'd go play a 3rd person shooter. I don't play Bioware games for t3h wicked comboz. Adept all the way. And Jedis focusing on Force Powers.

But I'm not gonna lie. For most of ME2, the only thing I used was Singularity. If I can be a Soldier and just Element Zero my way to the biotics I want, I'll do that this time.

In fact I just rented Mass Effect 1 so I can import the bonuses and outcomes that I want.

I'm sorry, that sounds more than a little elitist. You seem to be forgetting though that the "hardcore" Mass Effect fans, like us lovely gentlefolk, who debate the merits of Quads, Cerberus job safty, and killing Tali with germ sex, comprise probably around 1% of the people who actually went out and bought the game.

The rest of those folks are out playing Black Ops now and loving it. It's in Bioware's best interest to make sure the 'core' shooter gameplay stays competative. The other classes are, by and large, just filler when you get right down to it.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Cantido wrote: »

Yeah I used two powers throughout the entire game. Singularity and Warp with the occasional Pull thrown in if there was only one enemy left and I wanted a faster CD.

I think it's probably better they move to a "energy" or "mana" system. That way you could use multiple biotic abilities while still allowing Bioware to balance the energy costs to keep people from spamming the most powerful ability. It would also be a lot less monotonic.

I wish Mass Effect 3 had voice commands integrated into the game. It'd be a lot easier for the console users if they had a bit more space on the controller to assign commands to.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    well if you don't believe reaper tech can be beneficial, I'll go ahead and take EDI and Thanix from you

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Wow it's like I am always the botp.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, there's no way one rinky-dink ages-old space ship built by the Reapers for a puppet race to use is going to have the secrets to destroying the Reapers on it. Not to mention the minor issue of Reaper tech driving everybody, including other mechanical races, inevitably bonkers and nobody even knows why. Then the other minor issue of Cerberus having a very, very poor record of violating the rights of pretty much every species up to and including the humans they claim to want to protect.

And that tech definitely isn't going to get into the hands of anyone else after I blow the everloving shit out of it, so no worries about proliferation.

Keeping the Reaper tech is exactly what they want you to do. I feel bad for the 64% of the galaxies who didn't get smart people making the call; us 36% are going to be enjoying our not-insane, not-Cerberus-destroyed galaxies where we won by balls and grit instead of falling for an obvious trap.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, there's no way one rinky-dink ages-old space ship built by the Reapers for a puppet race to use is going to have the secrets to destroying the Reapers on it. Not to mention the minor issue of Reaper tech driving everybody, including other mechanical races, inevitably bonkers and nobody even knows why. Then the other minor issue of Cerberus having a very, very poor record of violating the rights of pretty much every species up to and including the humans they claim to want to protect.

And that tech definitely isn't going to get into the hands of anyone else after I blow the everloving shit out of it, so no worries about proliferation.

Keeping the Reaper tech is exactly what they want you to do. I feel bad for the 64% of the galaxies who didn't get smart people making the call; us 36% are going to be enjoying our not-insane, not-Cerberus-destroyed galaxies where we won by balls and grit instead of falling for an obvious trap.

I hate to be a stickler for details, but you got your percentages backwards.

Also -Tal, I'm assuming your last post was directed at me. I never said reaper tech couldn't be useful, I just feel that there will be way too many strings attached to using the base. Too little upside, way too much downside from my perspective. I'll blow the base up with a smile on my face, and live with the consequences.

Emporium on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ah ha, you're totally right. It looks like the majority of people do make the right call. I figured the smart call was the one being ragged on, though, because that's usually what happens which is why I had the percentages backwards.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    That rinky-dink space-ship literally had a reaper-making machine in it, so I think it will give pretty good insight on their weaknesses

Any upside at all would be welcome right now, since without that base we don't have a damn clue about what to do about the reapers and no deus ex machina to rely on. Most of the galaxy doesn't even believe they exist. Whatever downside it brings, it's better than annihilation.

The best alternative is checking out what the batarians are doing with the leviathan. But come on, the batarians touched it.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Even if it did help us find a weakness, there's still that problem of almost the entire galaxy not believing in the Reapers. So unless it turns out that you can destroy the Reapers by flying at breakneck speeds through their fleet while singing to them about the power of love and friendship, you might bag a single one before the instantaneous rape begins. They do consist of an enormous fleet of enormous ships built over the course of millions and millions of years so their construction wouldn't exactly be standardized.

The grand irony would be studying the captured ship, finding a weakness, and then realizing far too late that the weakness would only work against the human Reaper you already blew up. Fortunately, most of us won't have a galaxy where human weakness ends up as a punchline to a Reaper joke millions of years in the making. Just because they're ageless mechanoids hellbent on destroying all life doesn't mean they don't enjoy the odd joke or two.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'd like to think Shepard could convince people of the reapers once the base becomes public, but I admit the council would probably pass it off as geth technology.

Still, it's nice to break her awful habit of destroying every piece of evidence on the reapers and never recording anything.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    The Council has probably had to raise everybody's taxes just to afford the budget to keep paying Galaxytube to keep Reaper videos off the solarwebs. Cellphone cameras would be bad enough, but by the time Mass Effect rolls around everybody would probably have 3D smell-o-vision cameras implanted in their clothes which upload everything they see all the time.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    a reaper already attacked them

one of its legs landed in their chambers

remarkably designed geth technology, powered by Saren's charisma

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    ME3 Shepard should have access to ALL class abilities on account of being a super cyborg.

You can not disagree with me.

Go ahead, try it.

Just try.

You see this kitten?

This adorable, fluffy kitten?

The reapers are gonna land on the kitten homeworld first, if you do.

And you don't want that.

A giant fluffy kitten reaper.

Coming for your yarn.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I really wish that one of the reactions to the Turian Councilor dumbass Reaper denial could've been:

"Ah, yes, 'Reapers', we have already dismissed that claim."

"...what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.."

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Let's face it, with or without the base, we're pretty much fucked. The chances of defeating the hojillion reapers we saw in the credits are grim, unless the base's secret is that all reapers share a killswitch secreted away in Elcor Hamlet and all you need to do is Blue Angels the Normandy through their fleet broadcasting on all channels. Otherwise: rape city.
    remarkably designed geth technology, powered by Saren's charisma

You saw his dossier, his intimidate score is maxed! 12 points, Shepard! 12 points of intimidate! WHY ARE YOU DENYING THE OBVIOUS!?

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The more I think about it, the easier it is to buy the Council's disbelief. All the Geth ships look a lot like Sovereign, and they are remarkable technology, nevermind what they might be capable of building. The only people who buy into the "Reaper" thing are Shepard, (crazy in the first game, a terrorist in the second,) Anderson, (overemotional, crazy as Shepard,) and Shepard's crew (loyal to Shepard, apparently as gullible as he is).

How much reason is there to worry about the Reapers now, anyway? They've lost like three back-up plans and are stranded in dark space. With all of their known agents within the galaxy dead, reprogrammed, or scattered, and the biggest information network in the galaxy able and willing to root out any that remain, I'm not feeling too threatened.

"We will find another way" implies they don't already have one, after all.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    eeSanG wrote: »

a reaper fleet

Yeah, giving Cerberus the base means the reaper fleet kills less humans. Since there are less humans alive. Since Cerberus killed them.

Hey man, the point is, it's Cerberus killing billions of humans, rather than just the tens of thousands they tortured and murdered and fed to Thresher Maws. That's the point. How can you not give them the station?

(This is literally an argument -Tal used it the past.)

More seriously, it took Cerberus the lives of an entire space station of trained experts to bring back one normal-sized human. An entire research vessel just to investigate a dead Reaper corpse and discover enough to almost fill a goddamn post-it note. There aren't enough humans in the galaxy for Cerberus to manufacture a Reaper. I mean, they'd need, what....a half million for the Reaper, and then a half quintillion to fill every corridor with corpses, every picket ship with dead bodies, every space station with the dying, to fuck up every step of the way and die every time a bolt or rivet was put in the right, and the wrong, place?

Honestly, that's probably what the Batarians want. 0.2% of humanity liquefied, the remaining 99.8% of yoomanity dead in "workplace accidents", and a project 0.4% finished.
    Ohmygod, that's it! That's how the Reapers succeed! They want Cerberus to get the station!

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Aegof wrote: »
    With all of their known agents within the galaxy dead, reprogrammed, or scattered

We could have said the same at the end of ME1 with what we knew, though. While they probably don't have another puppet race at hand, they can communicate from waaaaay the fuck out there, so they could seduce someone to their cause. Hopefully they'll convince the batarians to use the leviathan to open a wormhole or reconfigure a relay or something.

We can rid the galaxy of its two greatest cancers in one fell swoop.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png