As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Second Monitor misbehaving.

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited November 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
My old monitor I've been using as a second screen finally gave up the ghost this past summer, and I just recently got around to grabbing my brother's old monitor as a replacement. Nothing fancy, just a Samsung SyncMaster 712N. Worked fine, and I thought all was well.

Until recently.

If I turn the monitor off, there's a good chance it won't come back on except with a message that it's not in "Optimum Mode" which is the settings I already have it set to (1280 x 1024 @ 60hz). If I unconnect the monitor and unplug it, this will generally solve the problem. This ONLY happens when the monitor is turned off. I have had it happily run continously for hours otherwise. It has not randomly switched to this error message while already on.

While a quick google search shows that this seems to be a common issue for the monitor, I haven't found anyone with the same cause. Every result is upon boot-up or a random occurance. It's becoming really annoying now as I have to drop what I'm doing and fiddle with cables any time I come back to my computer after breaking for food or something.

If relevant, my video card is an GeForce 9600 GT. My other monitor is also a Samsung (only higher resolution) and works fine.

YL9WnCY.png
Sterica on

• Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Have you tried a different cable?

MushroomStick on
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'd reccomend updating drivers (as always:P) and setting the multi-monitor settings up in the Nvidia Control panel. Windows I find has a habit of automatically matching my monitors resolutions, which can muck things up.

Apogee on
    8R7BtLw.png