As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest)

• Fuzzy ModemFuzzy Modem Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The Fool wrote: »
    As for your latest design, it's side view silhouette looks crazy disjointed and out of proportion. Even though there is no air in space, you want your ship to look aerodynamic to appeal to the eye (gotta win those votes in a contest!) One of the designs you were getting inspiration from even went so far as to include fins lol

Did the tweaks I made in photoshop improve the side view silhouette?

Fuzzy Modem on
  • IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    Couldn't sleep last night and scribbled these while half-awake:
    late_doodles_web.jpg

I would mock up the left one in 3d, personally. I think the last update, even with the PS modifications, is rather weak.

Iruka on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Iruka wrote: »
    Couldn't sleep last night and scribbled these while half-awake:
    late_doodles_web.jpg

I would mock up the left one in 3d, personally. I think the last update, even with the PS modifications, is rather weak.

Agree with this.

Mustang on
    edited December 2010
    Progress:

1701-f_v07_01.jpg

Can you verify that my system redundancy is correct for saucer separation? I'm just giving the saucer impulse power, like the Ent D, so it doesn't actually need a deflector dish does it? What can I turn that into instead?

Fuzzy Modem on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010
    It's looking good. As an Enterprise E flavor, and that was my favorite one.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
    edited December 2010
    It's looking good. As an Enterprise E flavor, and that was my favorite one.

And it's the most recent int the line, so it stands to reason.

Fuzzy Modem on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Progress:
    1701-f_v07_01.jpg

Can you verify that my system redundancy is correct for saucer separation? I'm just giving the saucer impulse power, like the Ent D, so it doesn't actually need a deflector dish does it? What can I turn that into instead?

Depending on what role you want for the ship you could have it be a hanger for shuttles or small fighters. Possibly an expanded sensor suite or something.

Personally, I'd keep it as a secondary deflector as the galaxy in ST:O is less then friendly at the moment (it would be pretty boring if everyone was too busy shaking hands and petting tribbles to get into a good phaser fight) and a good engineer can always use a second deflector dish to route techno-babble through in an emergency.

see317 on
    edited December 2010
    I tried some targeted smooth and totally broke the model, so these are from an earlier save:
    1701f_v06_01.jpg
    1701f_v06_02.jpg
    1701f_v06_03.jpg
    1701f_v06_04.jpg
    1701f_v06_05.jpg
    1701f_v06_07.jpg

It's probably a good idea to add more detail and do more tweaking before I start smoothing anyway.

[edit] I'm thinking saucer separation will consist of just the horseshoe shaped outside portion of the saucer (including the primary impulse engines) separating from all the rest, leaving basically the same shape, but with a smaller saucer.

Fuzzy Modem on
  • The FoolThe Fool Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Hey, newest models are looking cool. Silhouette is very identifiable now. Only thing I can think to nit-pick is that the connection between the saucer and the body looks a little fragile from the side. Otherwise, shaping up nice. Though I still think exploring the other designs would yield good results. :P

The Fool on
    edited December 2010
    This is what the model looks like without any kind of smoothing right now.
    orthos_unsmoothed_01a.jpg

I lost some of my reference textures recently, but hopefully you can still tell that I've done things like add a second phaser strip on the dorsal saucer.

Thruster reference is there now too, the brown squares.

[edit]
    This is what I was thinking for saucer separation:
    orthos_unsmoothed__saucer_sep_01a.jpg

Saucer keeps 3 phaser banks (and 2 pulse phasers if and when I add them) but leaves all the torpedos.

[edit]
    This is what happens when I underlay the Enterprise -E's ortho below my silhouette.

ent_e_orth_cheat_01.jpg

[edit]
    I'm not happy with the front view, but I like the pylons in their current raised position from all other angles, including the aft.

I'm tempted to experiment with hanging the nacelles from under the pylons rather than having them perched on top...

[edit] How does this look? (I just tilted them a bit)

Original:
    orthos_alt_pylon_angle_00a.jpg

Down:
    orthos_alt_pylon_angle_01a.jpg

Up:
    orthos_alt_pylon_angle_02a.jpg

Fuzzy Modem on
    edited December 2010
    Digesting these changes.

1701-f_v10_01.jpg

[edit]

I'm worried about the bussard collectors. Am I drifting too far into the fantastical and too far away from the practical?

devilhorns.jpg

Fuzzy Modem on
    edited December 2010
    I'm liking these:

nacelles.jpg

[edit]
    Enlarged Bussard collectors:
    nacelles2.jpg

The nacelles are also a bit thinner, and I've decreased the height of the neck slightly.

Fuzzy Modem on
    edited December 2010
    My site is down apparently. In the meantime I can host images on Facebook.

[edit]
    Nevermind. It's back up.

Fuzzy Modem on
    edited December 2010
    The neck on the side view is odd (the part that connects the secondary hull to the saucer). I don't know what it is about it, but it just sticks out to me for some reason.

The rest of the ship is cool, and really seems to keep with the look of the game (I play it on pretty low graphics), there's just something about the neck though that looks odd.

see317 on
    edited December 2010
    see317 wrote: »
    The neck on the side view is odd (the part that connects the secondary hull to the saucer). I don't know what it is about it, but it just sticks out to me for some reason.

The rest of the ship is cool, and really seems to keep with the look of the game (I play it on pretty low graphics), there's just something about the neck though that looks odd.

Have a look at the neck from the side here:

http://crossovercomic.com/media/extras/Unrelated/startrek_contest/orthos_big_notes_01a.jpg

Same image as above, but much larger with lots of notations. I'll be updating it through out the day. Please feel free to add your two cents. Thanks :)

Fuzzy Modem on
    edited December 2010
    Maybe instead of a longer neck (which looks promising!) you could remove the neck altogether by moving the body up right beneath the saucer.

The Fool on
    edited December 2010
    My website is still being flakey, so I'm hosting this on Facebook. Let me know when you start seeing my previously posted images again please. Thanks.

[edit]
    Good read for the technical dos and don'ts:
    http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/design.htm

[edit]
    How is it that the deflector dish doesn't deflect the particles that the bussard collector collects?

Fuzzy Modem on
    edited December 2010
    That one looks a lot better then the earlier version where the neck actually had a divot in it.

I also like that this design looks like a callback to the planned refit of the NX-01 Enterprise, with the nacelles looking like they connect as much to structural members of the saucer section as they do to the secondary hull.

see317 on
    edited December 2010
    edited December 2010
    Practicing targeted smoothing. This is just a dry run. You'll notice some deformed polys.

Fuzzy Modem on
    edited December 2010
    edited December 2010
    I ended up just reworking the bussard collectors. These new ones are a bit vanilla.

Fuzzy Modem on
  • DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I admire your work, but the lack of differentiation between the warp nacelles and the saucer strikes me as off.

For example, the Starships Enterprise:
    uss-enterprise-ncc-1701-b-sheet-12.jpg

Note, the "nacelles should be above the saucer" rule, was only held by the Original Enterprise, the Enterprise-A, and the Enterprise-E. On retrospect, the Enterprise-D looked good without adhering to this rule.

But see how the nacelles have a good differentiation and division between their placement and the placement of the saucer? By joining them together like you have seems to be deviating from the general design of the Enterprise. Plus, in comparison to the previous models, the nacelles seem place far too forward.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    edited December 2010
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    I admire your work, but the lack of differentiation between the warp nacelles and the saucer strikes me as off.

For example, the Starships Enterprise:
    uss-enterprise-ncc-1701-b-sheet-12.jpg

Note, the "nacelles should be above the saucer" rule, was only held by the Original Enterprise, the Enterprise-A, and the Enterprise-E. On retrospect, the Enterprise-D looked good without adhering to this rule.

But see how the nacelles have a good differentiation and division between their placement and the placement of the saucer? By joining them together like you have seems to be deviating from the general design of the Enterprise. Plus, in comparison to the previous models, the nacelles seem place far too forward.

The change in silhouette is entirely intentional. It's a calculated risk, I admit, but I want to do something a little different.

[edit]
    Don't know how much I like these:

Fuzzy Modem on
    edited December 2010
    Is it just me, or did it used to say "Coming December 9th" where it now says "Coming soon"?

http://www.startrekonline.com/enterprise

It still says "December 9th" on the bottom however.

I shrunk the hump between the pylons and moved the shuttle bay down to the aft of engineering. It's the dark grey strip.

[edit]
    Another design site worth looking at:
    http://www.treknology.org/future1.htm

Fuzzy Modem on
    edited December 2010
    Yay! Might site is back up! I can stop hosting files on Facebook!

So, after sleeping on it, I hate the most recent nacelles. Suggestions?

Also, still "Coming Soon" :(
    http://www.startrekonline.com/enterprise

[edit]
    Must the "Warp Engine Field Grille" and the "Particle Aperture" be separate pieces?
    http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/scans/sovereign-nacelle.jpg

Or can I do something like this:
    stripnacelles_01a.jpg

Perhaps the "Warp Engine Field Grille" and "Particle Aperture" could both be behind a third layer of translucent material?

[edit]
    Apparently they are still haggling with CBS (Viacom)
    dstahl
    Star Trek Online Team

The promotion is being run by some very big partners of ours (I believe Intel is one of them) and they are awaiting some final CBS approvals as this is going to get plastered all over the web including other Star Trek sites.

So as others have pointed out... we are anxiously awaiting word ourselves and will start linking and announcing as soon as we hear anything.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=3213859#post3213859

[edit] Interesting. On the Vesper, the nacelles are blue all the way around:
    Default_Vesper_Class.jpg

Fuzzy Modem on
    edited December 2010
    What do you think of these?
    horiz_nacelles_01a.jpg

[edit]
    The contest is live!
    http://www.startrekonline.com/enterprise/

Fuzzy Modem on
    edited December 2010
    This line in the rules:
    The assets may not be... posted to any third-party websites.
    http://www.startrekonline.com/enterprise/rules

Has led me to remove my wip images, just in case, which is ironic, as I JUST got my website back up :P

I'll post a link to my entry once I submit it, and I'll stay in this thread to talk about the design process from time to time as long as it keeps going.

The shape is pretty much set, and I want to thank all of you so much for your help. I'm quite happy with how this is shaping up, and I can't wait for you to see it on the contest site :)

Fuzzy Modem on
    edited December 2010
    I need to re-read the rules, but I didn't see an age limit, and my 10 year old daughter wants to enter, so I think we'll turn it into a Maya lesson.

She wants to do a double saucer with a big arboretum in-between.

[edit]
    Damn! You have to be 21. Oh well, we'll make it anyway, and I'll post it here :)

[edit]
    Found this line in the rules:
    If any group elects to collaborate on a Contest Entry, they are required to designate (1) person as the agent of the group to enter the contest, agree to these rules, and accept the prize on behalf of the group.

So that will work. I will be her "agent" and agree to the rules for her, then she can still post it on their site :) I'll post a link once it's up :)

[edit]
    ARG! "You are only eligible to enter the promotion once."
    Different, in that respect, than the Eve Contest or the StarCraft 2 contest...

That's okay, I'll have my wife do it for her :)

*Goes back to re-reading the rules...

[edit]
    "Submission Image must not contain material which is... violent." No space battles then? :p

[edit]
    Third place gets a processor. Just a processor. By it's self. I wonder what the odds are that he has a compatible motherboard...

[edit]
    This line is VERY interesting:
    Sponsor may consult with the Grand Prize winner in the development of his/her Submission Image for integration into the game and may require that the Grand Prize winner complete a work-for-hire agreement pertaining to same for no additional consideration.

It also occurs to me that with voting already in progress, there is an advantage to submitting early.

Fuzzy Modem on
    edited December 2010
    Something else of interest, not only do you have to enter your email and verify optically, you can vote for each entry once a day. I wonder if that's cumulative, or if it changes your vote.

Fuzzy Modem on
    edited December 2010
    Capture.JPG
    I'm really bothered right now by the way that it seems submissions are going in without review. One of my mods for ST:BC has already been submitted twice. I made that ship, I'm Canadian, and now, already, two people are trying to claim credit for my work. There really needs to be something more robust in place. Is there any way I can get those submissions pulled? I don't want someone else to be rewarded for my work. -DJ Curtis
    http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=3217037

http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/file/Century_Class_USS_EnterpriseF;82748

Remember how a plagiarized entry won the StarCraft 2 contest? I really hope that doesn't happen again. :rage:

Fuzzy Modem on
    edited December 2010
    My daughter's submission is up:
    http://www.startrekonline.com/enterprise/gallery?share=779
    Let me know if the link works please, thanks :)

Fuzzy Modem on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2010
    I voted!

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
    edited December 2010
    I voted!

Thanks :) She is showing up on the 4th page of "Highest Rated" now, and is very pleased with herself (as she should be.)

Fuzzy Modem on
    edited December 2010
    Your daughter put more effort in then most submissions! :O I noticed most of the designs are just basic remodels of already existing ships. You (and your daughter) will do well because you've put time into coming up with something more original. Can't wait to see your finished product!

The Fool on
    edited December 2010
    My daughter's entry is in the lead!
    (sorted by highest rated)
    http://startrekonline.com/enterprise/gallery?filter=rated

[edit]
    Nevermind. Now she's not showing up under highest rated at all. Weird.
    Still here though:
    http://www.startrekonline.com/enterprise/gallery?share=779

Fuzzy Modem on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The Fool wrote: »
    Your daughter put more effort in then most submissions! :O I noticed most of the designs are just basic remodels of already existing ships. You (and your daughter) will do well because you've put time into coming up with something more original. Can't wait to see your finished product!

Yeah not to mention a fucking goatse ship.

I'll vote for your daughters too.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited December 2010
    I really liked this one
    tahoe-300x232.jpg
    Until I used tineye to verify that it too is stolen:
    http://www.tineye.com/search/22ed17c7c240f52cba3740d88bb17de996a08da0/

Original by John Eaves:
    http://suricatasblog.wordpress.com/2009/06/07/the-concepts-of-star-trek-online/
    (2nd down)

The contest site should really have tineye or something similar built-in to identify such images.

This one is legit!
    ent-f_final_small.jpg
    http://www.tineye.com/search/7b8f2f31095d2c613939aa362dfc0560c931d343/

[edit]
    Tin eye can identify mildly altered images too, and as the contest rules stipulate that this must be a new, original entry created specifically for this contest, all you would need to do is this:
    Tin eye identifies matches? No= Accept entry. Yes= Reject entry.

Just a thought for anyone planning a similar contest in the future...

Fuzzy Modem on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    All hands, prepare for full reverse!

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me