Options

OMG! Design the next USS ENTERPRISE (Offical Contest)

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Shame about the time constraints making the video quality take a hit.

I tried to vote again today, but it wouldn't let me. Looks like voting is closed.
    On the plus side, your entry came up as most votes(509) and highest rated(4 stars) assuming I'm reading the site correctly.

Hope it's not too early for preemptive congratulations.

see317 on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah I gotta say that is one rad spaceship. Hope it gets accepted.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Fuzzy ModemFuzzy Modem Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The judges could still override this decision, so I haven't won yet- but THANK YOU ALL for your support! I love you guys!

Winner is announced in April. It's gonna be a loooong wait...

Fuzzy Modem on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    This is cool. This version was made with transparent plastic, so I'll be able to put an LED in it for the nacelle and deflector and window lights :cool:

light_test_01.jpg
    light_test_02.jpg

I'll chrome it first, to keep the light in, then putty over all that "topographic" texture. Once I'm done puttying and painting I'll just scrape away any area that I want to glow, and go over it with sharpie to change the color. I'll use a white LED considerably brighter than the key chain light you see above.

Fuzzy Modem on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'd like to see that when you're done. Make it larger. :D

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    bowen wrote: »
    I'd like to see that when you're done. Make it larger. :D

Much larger physically and a single LED won't illuminate it all. I'll post some nice big pictures once it's done though :)

Fuzzy Modem on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Chromed. I only had gold handy, but I imagine it will work just fine. You can also really see the texture now.

http://crossovercomic.com/media/extras/Unrelated/startrek_contest/reprap/IMG_5745_web.jpg
    http://crossovercomic.com/media/extras/Unrelated/startrek_contest/reprap/IMG_5746_web.jpg

and the first coat of putty:

http://crossovercomic.com/media/extras/Unrelated/startrek_contest/reprap/IMG_5748_web.jpg
    http://crossovercomic.com/media/extras/Unrelated/startrek_contest/reprap/IMG_5747_web.jpg

You'll note I'm leaving some areas unputtied, and I'll be scraping off other areas and sanding it all down once I have another coat or two of putty. What do you recommend for removing the putty and paint down to the bare plastic for the little things like the windows? I guess I was just thinking I would stab it really good with the point of a hobby knife for each window, but that might not be the best approach.

Fuzzy Modem on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    2nd coat of putty. The "squadron" stuff really is as superior as everyone says.

http://crossovercomic.com/media/extras/Unrelated/startrek_contest/reprap/IMG_5752_web.jpg

http://crossovercomic.com/media/extras/Unrelated/startrek_contest/reprap/IMG_5750_web.jpg

I'll probably do one more coat and then start sanding.

Fuzzy Modem on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Pretty neat!

bowen on
  • Options
    zephsrightzephsright Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Gorgeous design. I'm curious at what point the saucer section detaches from the rest. Would it leave a crescent peice of the elongated sauce behind or does the whole shape of the saucer part detach?

zephsright on
    - Benjamin
    Geek for Hire
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    It was never full realized, but this is my concept for saucer separation:

orthos_unsmoothed__saucer_sep_01a.jpg

It's important to note that the saucer detaches and drops down below the saucer, then pushes forward. The hull attachment cross section looks like this from the front:

/detach\ \stay/ /detach\

Fuzzy Modem on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Sanded down:
    http://crossovercomic.com/media/extras/Unrelated/startrek_contest/reprap/IMG_5753_web.jpg
    http://crossovercomic.com/media/extras/Unrelated/startrek_contest/reprap/IMG_5754_web.jpg

and 1st coat of paint:
    http://crossovercomic.com/media/extras/Unrelated/startrek_contest/reprap/IMG_5755_web.jpg
    http://crossovercomic.com/media/extras/Unrelated/startrek_contest/reprap/IMG_5756_web.jpg

My mix of sapphire and gloss white came out sky blue when I was hoping for metallic white with blue highlights. I'll add some gunmetal grey before I do the next coat, but there are some spots on the underside I want to touch up with putty first.

Fuzzy Modem on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I know this looks almost the same color in these photos, but I swear it's far less blue and far more metallic gray:

http://crossovercomic.com/media/extras/Unrelated/startrek_contest/reprap/IMG_5757_web.jpg

http://crossovercomic.com/media/extras/Unrelated/startrek_contest/reprap/IMG_5758_web.jpg

You may notice I tried to build up some areas with putty. The bridge, captain's yacht, deflector cavity, and the blister above the shuttle bay should all be noticeably more pronounced.

I'll probably finish it this weekend with a combination of paint and sharpie markers. I've already started by painting in the light that illuminates her name and number.

I've given up on trying to light her from within. It was a cool idea, but the light simply isn't traveling outside the engineering section. If I make another, I may try to make room for three more LEDs, one in each nacelle, one in the saucer, and the next one will probably be about 2x larger as a result. I wonder if I should try to make it straight up hollow...

Fuzzy Modem on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Fuzz, did you win the competition?

bowen on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The judges voting doesn't begin until the 28th and lasts a month. The winner won't be announced until April.

*sits on the edge of his seat and bites his nails.

[edit]
    Thinking about math and perhaps making a second, larger, hollow model I can put lights in.

My size limitation for each individual part is 10cm x 10cm x 5cm, so I think my maximum length will be about 20cm (8in), unless I want to try cutting the nacelles and saucer in half or quarters... or eighths.

I can also try aligning it corner to corner for a maximum length of 14cm (5 1.2in) making the maximum overall length 28cm (11in) without breaking up the 4 primary parts.

If I can get this grant, and build a rapid prototyper of my own, I don't think I'll be able to resist the urge to make another grander version with lights. Maybe even blinking running lights :D

Fuzzy Modem on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Bunch of new Enterprise F pics:

v3_persp_01_s.jpg
    ent-f_lcars_s.jpg
    v3_persp_02_s.jpg
    bridge_01_s.jpg
    v3_persp_08_s.jpg
    v3_persp_06_s.jpg
    v3_persp_05_s.jpg
    v3_persp_15_s.jpg
    ent-f_battle_s.jpg

More and bigger here :)

Fuzzy Modem on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    And the physical model:

reprap_fd.jpg

Fuzzy Modem on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Wow I hope you win it, because, wow.

bowen on
  • Options
    LaliluleloLalilulelo Richmond, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I like it a lot.

Lalilulelo on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Thanks guys :)

Coincidentally, I settled on "Frontier Class" as a nod both to the "Final Frontier" and to my home state, the "Last Frontier" (Alaska.)

Fuzzy Modem on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hey lookit!
    uxalkv.jpg
    http://yfrog.com/h2uxalkvj

Unfortunately I don't appear to be up there :(

[edit]
    Really I don't know any more or less about my chances than I did this morning, as we know there will be 25 semi-finalists and 4 finalists, and that board had 10 pictures on it.

The final round is judged by a single person. We now know that person is a CBS exec or employee. I'd always wondered. The rules don't say. Anyone care to speculate on who exactly it might be?

Fuzzy Modem on
  • Options
    JLM-AWPJLM-AWP Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The final round is judged by a single person. We now know that person is a CBS exec or employee. I'd always wondered. The rules don't say. Anyone care to speculate on who exactly it might be?

Charlie Sheen

JLM-AWP on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I thought I'd try my hand at bridging the gap between the F and the J:
    e_through_j__persp_top.jpg
    e_through_j__persp_bottom.jpg
    e_through_j__persp_back.jpg
    e_through_j__persp_front.jpg

-and here is the linage in silhouette going all the way back to the nx-01 refit:
    http://crossovercomic.com/media/extras/Unrelated/startrek_contest/legacy/e_through_j_orth.jpg

Very rough of course. Just basic shapes. I might finish them a bit more in the future.

[edit]
    There is at least some measure of evolution/inter-relation between iterations.

The most obvious is the "over and up" nacelle strut style adopted by the excelsior and lasting to the D, dropping slightly each generation.

The E went back to the V style, and I've shown that moving up to a level with the saucer where the J has it. It's really the only thing my F has in common with the J, which obviously has much longer struts, placing the nacelles high above the saucer.

I'm not a huge fan of the J myself, but she does make me feel better about my nacelle and strut placement, as mine are higher than any previous Enterprise, and the J's are SO MUCH higher that I'd like to think my F is the first step toward that design characteristic.

Fuzzy Modem on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    JLM-AWP wrote: »

Charlie Sheen

WWCSD? :twisted:

Fuzzy Modem on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Found an F I'd never seen before-> http://www.mistletoenholly.com/store/Star-Trek-MICRO-MACHINESFASA-USSENTERPRISE-F-250744931172.html

I like it. Looks like the NX-01 (Akira) but better. I wonder about the second set of bussard collector though.

Does anyone know more about this design, or where it came from? I'm guessing it's Hasbro exclusive, but I could be wrong.

Fuzzy Modem on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited March 2011
    Your little model have benefit from some sanding and more even paint application. It doesn't really have any clean edges right now.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Iruka wrote: »
    Your little model have benefit from some sanding and more even paint application. It doesn't really have any clean edges right now.

Yeah I definitely should have sanded it down more, and with a finer grit.

Fuzzy Modem on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited March 2011
    By "have" I meant "could" I dont know why I took out the wrong word. You'll have to repaint it but you can still sand it down.

Iruka on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited March 2011
    At work we have two CNC router tables that can mill 3-D forms out of styrofoam. You could make a life-size model. Maybe scale it down and just make a little two-seater starship... :)

DMAC on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    DMAC wrote: »
    At work we have two CNC router tables that can mill 3-D forms out of styrofoam. You could make a life-size model. Maybe scale it down and just make a little two-seater starship... :)

And being made from styrofoam it would float! :D

Fuzzy Modem on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Love this thread, just got done reading through it, super awesome! 1 thing though:
    It was never full realized, but this is my concept for saucer separation:

orthos_unsmoothed__saucer_sep_01a.jpg
    although this looks bad ass what is also does is leave the bridge connected to the engineering portion of the ship and the saucer section has no command section to it so... ya.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    Love this thread, just got done reading through it, super awesome! 1 thing though:

although this looks bad ass what is also does is leave the bridge connected to the engineering portion of the ship and the saucer section has no command section to it so... ya.

Thanks for reading. It's a pretty long thread these days :)

There is a secondary bridge in the saucer section (making the primary bridge the "battle bridge") You can see it here: http://crossovercomic.com/media/extras/Unrelated/startrek_contest/bonus/big/ent-f_lcars.jpg on the right in the "nose."

The saucer also takes the aft torpedo ports with it, (but not the primary ports.) This means it can only fire torpedoes at pursuers, but it's more likely to be running away than attacking anyway.

Fuzzy Modem on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    neato cross-section. I have to say though that if you were escaping from your busted up ship that is about to have a blown warp core you probably want to already be in the bridge and the secondary bridge (ala battle bridge ent d) be the one that is attached to the main hull

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    neato cross-section. I have to say though that if you were escaping from your busted up ship that is about to have a blown warp core you probably want to already be in the bridge and the secondary bridge (ala battle bridge ent d) be the one that is attached to the main hull

The purpose or saucer separation is not to escape a warp core breach, but rather to prepare for battle by dropping off all non combat personnel in their own separate vessel. They get to put around on impulse engines while you go off to fight -50% of your mass and targetable silhouette. Hence the term "Battle Bridge."

Generally the saucer is also capable of landing on a planet's surface. This is true all the way back to the original series (they talked about it, but never actually did it) and it's the reason the refit connie has those triangle shaped on the underside of the saucer. They are landing gear panels.

Still I understand why you get that impression, as that's how they used that particular gimmick in "Generations." IMO it was just an excuse to do something they hadn't done before- crash land.

Fuzzy Modem on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    eh that's also how it was used for the most part in TNG as well but ya I totally get what you're saying with the whole 'battle bridge' idea, that makes sense.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Scuttlebutt is that the winner will be announced as part of the Engineering Report in “mid April”

While we wait, here are some new renders to look at :)

perfect_fd_06rx_800.jpg
    perfect_fd_17rx_800.jpg
    perfect_fd_16rx_800.jpg
    perfect_fd_14rx_800.jpg
    perfect_fd_09rx_800.jpg
    perfect_fd_11rx_800.jpg
    perfect_fd_13rx_800.jpg
    perfect_fd_18rx_800.jpg

The originals are 2048x1152, and can be found here:
    http://crossovercomic.com/index.php?page=extras&base=media/extras/Unrelated/startrek_contest/bonus&folder=big

-as well as a few other renders not seen above:

I’m also working on a really big one (8192x2048) but I’ll keep polishing it until they announce the winner.

Fuzzy Modem on
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    At this point you should probably win just so the marketing team doesn't have to do any work at all. You've produced all their material for them :P

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Molybdenum wrote: »
    At this point you should probably win just so the marketing team doesn't have to do any work at all. You've produced all their material for them :P

That's what I was thinking.

bowen on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    bowen wrote: »
    Molybdenum wrote: »

That's what I was thinking.

Fuzzy's next post in this thread will be him showing off the full size sets he's built in a nearby vacant lot.

see317 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Complete with cast and crew? And cameras?

bowen on