As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

OOC Star Wars The Dark Times

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I didn't realize we could roll our stats...thought it was just a 32 point buy in.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    the caveat usually is that you can't reroll them, but yes, sakutian did say you can opt for the rolling method presented in the book (4d6 drop lowest)

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Ooh nice. Are we allowed to pick which roll counts for a certain stat?

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    yes, that's how it usually goes, but - i'm not sakutian! i'm just on hand as a rules lawyer to help make his job easier, and this is all being said with the caveat that he has the final say (and having been presented with how rolls tend to go, he might opt to disqualify that method)

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Well if we're allowed to roll this is what I pulled off. Invisible Castle seemed to indicate that I can choose which roll counts for a particular stat.

Here's what I've got: STR 12, DEX 16, CON 12, INT 14, WIS 14, CHA 16

If it's allowed, I'll update my character sheet.

Crap, wasn't logged in when I did that. I wonder if there is a way to link that roll to my account? Ah well.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    PepiPopaPepiPopa Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Modified my stats and my statblock gonna update my character screen shortly. You can see it HERE

PepiPopa on
    Our testament and story is forever death or glory.
    repub_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Nice Pepi! Holy crap nice dex stat.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SakutianSakutian Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Thanks for serving as my backup Arcanis.

Yes you can opt for the 4d6, drop the lowest dice, method of rolling stats that appears in the core rulebook OR the 32 point buy. If you choose to roll your stats you can decide which roll to assign to whichever stat you like.

Sakutian on
    My Games

Dresden Files RPG- Dumb Luck

Playing Phillip Hess in Motor City Blues

GM of M&M "And Justice For All."
    GM of Dresden Files Low Life
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Into the Unknown
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Lost Hope- Concluded
    GM of Star Wars Sagas the Dark Times- Concluded.
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Jabba's Palace- Concluded due to injury.
    Bart Allen/ The Flash in M&M Metropolis- Concluded.
    Koyi Disturbances in the Force- Concluded.
    Jessup Owlbeard Forge of the Dawn Titan- Withdrawn due to injury.
    Sal Mander In the Shadow of Zeus- Concluded.
    Zevoto in Out in the Black- Withdrawn due to injury.
    GM of Wyvern Watch
    Berru Secune in Rise of the Jedi
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Thanks Heir. Gotta say when i read your story ,manly tears man. Manly tears.

PepiPopa on
    repub_sig.jpg
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I was going to roll my stats as the option was given, but since I decided to play a clone and used the given clone stats as per the Clone Wars Campaign Guide (see the Sidebar on pg.91 if interested) I just bumped them up to fit a 32 point buy. I'm happy with the results as they are, nothing spectacular but nothing terrible either.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I approve of that method for creating a clone soldier.

Sakutian on
    My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    i would roll, but i am just very happy with my stats as is. and im glad you guys liked the background.

psolms on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Before vanishing into the mists of Black Friday shopping I wanted to post and updated list of the submissions broken down into class groups. As you can see lots of Scoundrels so far, gotta love those Scoundrels.

Jedi
    Oren Keth the Human Jedi

Nobles

Scoundrels
    Tissen Kreeb the Duros Scoundrel
    Vash Oen the Kel Dor Scoundrel
    Kudak the Mon Calamari Scoundrel
    Bosska Mahk the Duros Scoundrel

Scouts

Soldiers
    Dewlanrirr the Wookie Soldier
    RC-6518 "Havok" Human(Clone) Soldier

Undecided
    EI-0 "Zero" Droid Scout/Scoundrel

Sakutian on
    My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Updated my stat sheet here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=17448254#post17448254

Could use some advice from some of you veteran types. I used my first feat for Force training. I figured starting out I'll need things like mind trick and battle strike to keep me alive (along with picking up the DR 10 Talent).

I made sure my int stat was at least 13 as I'm hoping to pick up whirlwind attack eventually (though I'll have to grab melee defense first). i was also thinking of grabbing weapon finesse.

I guess I'm asking is what order should I grab all of that? Would it be better to get Force training first so I can have 3 force powers, or would Weapon Finesse be better (as it would make my attack rolls significantly better starting out).

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    whirlwind attack is not very good! remember, it requires a Full Attack to use, which requires a full-round action... which means foregoing movement!

if you have the Jedi Academy Training Manual i very much recommend looking at the Lightsaber Form powers, picking a Form Talent you'd like to use in conjunction with them, and go from there. if you're dex heavy, then Ataru and the two powers Hawk-Bat Swoop and Saber Swarm are a good choice

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    When I played my Ithorian Jedi I gave him Force Training first. The reason I did that was he was trained in the ways of the force extensively before eve picking up a lightsaber. As a result his ability to use the force was further along than your average padawan but his skill with a lightsaber was average. My two cents.

Sakutian on
    My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    whirlwind attack is not very good! remember, it requires a Full Attack to use, which requires a full-round action... which means foregoing movement!

if you have the Jedi Academy Training Manual i very much recommend looking at the Lightsaber Form powers, picking a Form Talent you'd like to use in conjunction with them, and go from there. if you're dex heavy, then Ataru and the two powers Hawk-Bat Swoop and Saber Swarm are a good choice

Interesting to know. I didn't realize whirlwind attack was a full round action. Perhaps picking up force slam would be a better idea for an AOE attack. I'll take into consideration the Jedi Academy Manual, as I do have it.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, I was never a fan of whirlwind attack either.

Regarding your question, Heir: I'd say it all depends on what kind of Jedi you want to play. If you want to be a "mess with thier noodle and throw things" kind of Jedi then pick Force Training. If you want to slice and dice, then pick Weapon Finesse. The good thing about Saga Edition is that you get a lot of feats and talents over the course of your career. You can always pick up the other feat at level 3!

Edit: I love Force Slam.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    that's why i often hate starting at level 1! so many choices

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    also, keep in mind that inquisitors will be after jedi. like, seeking them. any lightsaber play will definitely draw their attention. force powers like mind trick and stuff will be easier to cover up.

psolms on
  • Options
    rucdocrucdoc Crazy guy in the corner ClassifiedRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Ok I think I got my character done.

Jeff Simcraft Scout, pilot, mechanic, "drop out" of the Imperial Naval Academy

Cash roll

I had fun with making his background, would love to be able to keep the fighter he stole, have the skills abilities, and the cash left over to buy the parts to try and get a illegal transponder, but if he has to ditch it I'm fine with that. would love to be able to be a part of this campaign. love all the builds and the ideas.

If wanted I can post the ship stat block, being a training ship it would have had the armerments altered or removed, thus lowering it's value.

rucdoc on
    Original Creepy Janitor

http://www.dust514stats.com
  • Options
    immortal squishimmortal squish Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Wow, decided to roll my stats and... just wow...

STR 8, DEX 14, CON 7, INT 17, WIS 12, CHA 9

Edit: Scout starting cash... (3d4=9) x 250 = 2250
    Roll for my follower's cash (3d4=5) x 250 = 1250

(character sheet in progress)

immortal squish on
    <3
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    im pretty sure theres rules for rerolling if you have under a like +6 in mods before species bonuses. but i dont have my books atm, so dont quote me on that.

psolms on
  • Options
    samurai6966samurai6966 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm going to post a character soon. I've never played this but I do like Star Wars. None of us can have force powers right?

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    If you are a jedi i think they are a part of your class so .. Yeah you can.

PepiPopa on
    repub_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Well, if I can, I have to be a jedi since they are futuristic samurai.

:)

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Steelhawk wrote: »

Regarding your question, Heir: I'd say it all depends on what kind of Jedi you want to play. If you want to be a "mess with thier noodle and throw things" kind of Jedi then pick Force Training. If you want to slice and dice, then pick Weapon Finesse. The good thing about Saga Edition is that you get a lot of feats and talents over the course of your career. You can always pick up the other feat at level 3!

Will Force Slam cause me to pick up a Darkside Point when used against living targets?

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Also, How long has it been since Order 66 and the start of the game? I'm thinking of doing a son of a Jedi who survived the Order and hid on an planet, started a family under a different name but was soon found and killed. The son knew his father was a Jedi and knows basics of the Force but isn't a full blown Jedi in teachings and skill.

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    also keep in mind that it's generally acceptable if you don't like your rolled stats, you can take the point buy! 32 point buy is pretty darned good

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Also, How long has it been since Order 66 and the start of the game? I'm thinking of doing a son of a Jedi who survived the Order and hid on an planet, started a family under a different name but was soon found and killed. The son knew his father was a Jedi and knows basics of the Force but isn't a full blown Jedi in teachings and skill.

From the looks of the recent events in the OP, I would guess something like 3-6 months since Order 66.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It says in the OP is 32 point buy.

Edit: If that's the case, I might roll someone who is force sensitive vs full blow jedi. However, I will get a lightsaber somehow!

samurai6966 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    What are the guidelines for character creation?
    *32 point buy system
    *Level 1
    *You can roll stats as outlined in the core rulebook.

reading is hard!

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Heir wrote: »
    Steelhawk wrote: »

Will Force Slam cause me to pick up a Darkside Point when used against living targets?

I'm not 100% on what the rules say, but I'm pretty sure if its a bad guy in the first place, then you're in the clear. :)

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    re: DSPs for Force powers

the rules for giving out darkside points are actually intentionally vague and left up to the GM; as a GM myself, i've taken both a hard line and a light line when handing out DSPs for Force use against living targets.

the hard line says: using the Force against a living being is a moderate transgression and usually worth a dark side point.

the light line says: bad guys can be Force'd, as long as you're not doing so out of anger.

so it's Sakutian's call, in the end, and it's also up to you as a player to a certain degree; the book says that the GM is encouraged to give dark side points to characters whose players phrase their actions as though they're influenced by negative emotion.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    immortal squishimmortal squish Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

From looking at the "Recent events" section, it seems it's not long after Order 66. A year or two.

psolms wrote: »
    im pretty sure theres rules for rerolling if you have under a like +6 in mods before species bonuses. but i dont have my books atm, so dont quote me on that.

Yep, the book does say something about rerolling if your stats are too low. Unfortunately, your total modifiers have to be +0 or less, and I've just barely got that beat.

If Mr. GM says its cool to go back to Point Buy I'll do that for sure. If not, welp, not all of us can be supermen/droids :P

immortal squish on
    <3
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Sorry for the delay in answering your questions. Just saw the new Harry Potter movie. Thanks again for assisting in my absence Arcanis.

rucdoc- I'll look up the stats for your ship and get back to you.

samurai6966- Yes you can have Force Powers if your character is force sensitive. It has only been about two months since the execution of Order 66 and the end of the Clone Wars.

immortalsquish- If you roll utter trash you can reroll once. You always have the option of going to back to a 32 point buy for your stats if you're just not happy with what the dice are giving you.

Heir- In answer to your question about whether or not using Force Slam on a living being will earn you a dark side point the answer is...maybe. If you slam a stormtrooper or a sith lord into a wall in self defense then no. If you bash an unarmed prisoner into the pavement then yeah. Pretty much it's going to come down to what you do with it. Is the Jedi Mind Trick going to earn you a Dark Side point every time you use it? No. If you abuse it though...

Sakutian on
    My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I just added them to the character sheet and was about to post them here actually.
    cutlass-9
    init +2 Perception +5
    Defense: ref 13(11 flat) fort 26: +6 armor
    hp 80: dr10: sr10: threshold 46
    speed: 12 squares(max vel 800 km/h) (star ships scale 4)
    ranged laser cannon medium +4 dmg (4d10X2) currently disabled
    fighting space 4x4 (starship scale 1) cover: total
    base attack +0 Grp +31
    attack options :auto fire (laser cannons)
    abilities str 42, dex 14, int 14
    skills initative +2, mechanics +5 perception +5 pilot +2 use computer +5
    crew 1
    cargo 110 kg consumables 2 weeks
    hyperdrive x2, nav computer
    8 unused emplacements
    (medium concussion missile launcher and missiles have been removed from all training ships, thus giving the ship 8 free emplacement point instead of the regular 3)

rucdoc on
    Original Creepy Janitor

• Options
    edited November 2010
    Ah, well thanks, it looks alright for the current modifications.

Sakutian on
    My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    cool :) glad that works, gonna have to fix it after game on, not much use a starfighter with no weapons :P

rucdoc on
    Original Creepy Janitor

• Options
    edited November 2010
    Sakutian wrote: »
    Sorry for the delay in answering your questions. Just saw the new Harry Potter movie. Thanks again for assisting in my absence Arcanis.

Heir- In answer to your question about whether or not using Force Slam on a living being will earn you a dark side point the answer is...maybe. If you slam a stormtrooper or a sith lord into a wall in self defense then no. If you bash an unarmed prisoner into the pavement then yeah. Pretty much it's going to come down to what you do with it. Is the Jedi Mind Trick going to earn you a Dark Side point every time you use it? No. If you abuse it though...

Sounds good. I figured as long as it's in relative self defense for Force Slam, it would be ok. As for Mind Trick, I don't plan on abusing it too much...however I think it might be a good power to help my character remain inconspicuous early on.

Really looking forward to this. I have a lot of fun ideas with my character, since he's so young and naive, and his work was just turned upside down.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png