As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Out-Dated Dragon Age 2 Thread [Please post in new thread!]

1565758596062»

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Blackjack wrote: »
    One change I'm really looking forward to in DA2 is the addition of a "Rivalry" path for your companions.

I just don't think I should tell Sten to shut up, stop whining, and get in line only to receive 43 Friendship points.

What is this Rivalry path that you speak of? This is the first I've heard of it, and now I am very interested.

Basically, one of the problems they said they had with DA1 was that the way the approval system was setup it was pretty much always in your advantage to have a high approval with a person even if you didn't like that person.

Like not only did you get more dialogue options and combat bonuses, but in some cases, low approval would cause party members to turn hostile towards you and you'd either have to kill them, pass a speech check, or they might just leave.

The way the rivalry system works is that it basically goes both ways now. People won't leave your party just because they don't like you and I believe you'll still get dialogue options/bonuses no matter which spectrum you're on.

Sweet, I like the sound of that. Having to be nice to some of the characters in DA really sucks. It'll be nice to be able to piss them off.

It seems like someone over at BioWare played Alpha Protocol, which is a good thing. You'd get different beneficial perks for opposite ends of the approval spectrum, instead of making characters either not want to work with you at all or worship the ground you walk on. Sometimes I let party member mechanics drive my decisions when speaking to them, which kind of ruins the magic of an RPG. It would be nice not to worry about that quite so much. In Alpha Protocol, if I didn't like a character, I didn't have to worry about appeasing him or her to maximize statistics and so forth, I'd just end up with a different set of perks. I hope that really is how it'll work in Dragon Age 2, as well.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I just hope...in the case of some characters...they give you actual comebacks that don't make you sound dumb as hell.
    "Gosh durn it Isabela you're a meanie! But also really pretty I love you okay?"

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I hope they make a full Isabella DLC where you get to see some of her backstory and do a bit of pirating.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Alpha Protocol is a game everyone should steal from in making an RPG

Not in gameplay, mind you

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah not that, but everything else by all means.

Just rip that shit out wholesale and leave the steaming carcass of a combat system for the birds.

There was some goodness in there. Some real goodness. Thick, syrupy, delicious goodness.

I've never seen such palpable dislike from player aligned npcs.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't even think the combat was bad, just not very good.

Everything else about that game is stellar and people are robbing themselves of a great experience if they don't play it.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    One change I'm really looking forward to in DA2 is the addition of a "Rivalry" path for your companions.

I just don't think I should tell Sten to shut up, stop whining, and get in line only to receive 43 Friendship points.

What is this Rivalry path that you speak of? This is the first I've heard of it, and now I am very interested.

Basically, one of the problems they said they had with DA1 was that the way the approval system was setup it was pretty much always in your advantage to have a high approval with a person even if you didn't like that person.

Like not only did you get more dialogue options and combat bonuses, but in some cases, low approval would cause party members to turn hostile towards you and you'd either have to kill them, pass a speech check, or they might just leave.

The way the rivalry system works is that it basically goes both ways now. People won't leave your party just because they don't like you and I believe you'll still get dialogue options/bonuses no matter which spectrum you're on.

Sweet, I like the sound of that. Having to be nice to some of the characters in DA really sucks. It'll be nice to be able to piss them off.

Yeah, the guy or girl you can't rip a new asshole when you're the most charismatic person in the universe GRATES in RPGs.

Wasn't fun in Mass Effect with Aria, doesn't sound fun with Morrigan. I mean, if I, the player, can think of ten ways to make that idiot shut up, only five of which require actual or implied violence, the characters should be able to pull it.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My PS3 Dragon Age file is at 99%. I'm only missing one trophy. Its not something that I'm really dying to get, but it would be nice if my profile said 100%. Its the Grim Reaper trophy that I'm missing.

Anyone have any advice on how to pull this one off? I've tried with two different characters. On my first trip through Amgarakk I just used a premade Mage and specc'd into Arcane Warrior. I was following a guide online and took all the spells they said to take. It was a fail attempt. The problem is not the Reaper itself, but rather the skeletons.

My second attempt I imported my dwarf warrior from my main DAO play-through. He's armored to the hilt with the best stuff I could find. He's nearly impenetrable. But again, my problem is the skeletons. And on this attempt, a lack of DPS is also the problem. I can last forever, but I can't seem to make any real progress against the Reaper either. Its more of a stalemate.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

You're standing up for yourself. You aren't making excuses, you're telling him you're in charge and it's getting done your way. He respects that.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yes. He respects it. But that doesn't mean you're BFFs.

Which is what the rivalry path is. They disagree with you, but respect you.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    When you make a new thread you link the new one here

Zen Vulgarity on
This discussion has been closed.