As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Final Fantasy XI?

langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in MMO Extravaganza
No FF XI topic? I still have a few friends who play, and I just saw a guy buy the newest expansion in the store the other day.

Does anyone out there still play this?

langfor6 on

• AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    There use to be a big FFXI presence on these boards, I remember ongoing SE++ and G&T threads for it. I don't know where all those people are now, though.

Accualt on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Everything I've heard about it seems to describe it as the definitive worst case example of MMO grinds.

Plus I guess the Japanese hate us.

Scooter on
  • Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have wanted to pick this up in the past, it's a shame there are no trials for it. About the time I had the disposable income to pick this up this past summer, it seemed like every store in the midwest stopped carrying it. I'm told I'm not missing out, but every time I see pictures of the armor sets I whimper a little.

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Scooter wrote:
    Everything I've heard about it seems to describe it as the definitive worst case example of MMO grinds.
    This is why I left the game. As if the grinding wasn't bad enough to kill my interest, standing around for hours trying to find a party was.
    Scooter wrote:
    Plus I guess the Japanese hate us.
    I never got this, though. The Japanese were never anything but nice to me.

The game has a lot of potential, but short of being re-tooled for the American audience, I don't think it's going to maintain much of a presence in the states.

s3rial one on
  • GimpyBoyGimpyBoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm told I'm not missing out, but every time I see pictures of the armor sets I whimper a little.

Yeah, that's basically the gist of FFXI right there. You play a long ass time because you see all these Japanese people wearing AF1 and 2 sets and then you finally get them and you can't stop playing even though there's nothing to do simply because you spent the time to get the AF sets and don't want to feel like it was a waste.

Then you sit around and wait for a party for 2 hours. 1 if you're a healer.

GimpyBoy on
    GimpyBoy.gif
  • HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    There is an awesome game there, buried deep, really really deep, beneath layers of grindy, user-hating, unfun, unfriendly gameplay. It's a shame.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    There is an awesome game there, buried deep, really really deep, beneath layers of grindy, user-hating, unfun, unfriendly gameplay. It's a shame.

Thinking and talking about FFXI makes me sad, because what you say is so very true.

Regina Fong on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    GimpyBoy wrote:
    I'm told I'm not missing out, but every time I see pictures of the armor sets I whimper a little.

Yeah, that's basically the gist of FFXI right there. You play a long ass time because you see all these Japanese people wearing AF1 and 2 sets and then you finally get them and you can't stop playing even though there's nothing to do simply because you spent the time to get the AF sets and don't want to feel like it was a waste.

2 hours? Your a lightweight. Try 3 days.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • GimpyBoyGimpyBoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    GimpyBoy wrote:

2 hours? Your a lightweight. Try 3 days.

3 days for a party? What are you a dragoon? ;)

GimpyBoy on
    GimpyBoy.gif
  • ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I recently quit the game. Mind you I invested in the PS2 version and the expansions which means I probably paid $100 for it all. I think I lasted about 6 months. I managed to get both RDM and WHM to level 20.

I Mainly because of the following

Economy went to hell. everything was insanely high priced.

Waiting forever for parties as a WHM?!?!? then Tanks who don't do their damn job.

Was in 3 different Linkshells and all three broke quickly the average was about 2 weeks the longest was 2 months.

It takes for-fucking-ever to do anything. Leveling comes slowly even with a Power leveler

No one wants to help you with quests. If you are not Grinding you are some sort of Pariah. Never mind you can Level while you are doing a quest by.. I dunno killing shit along the way.

I never had much of a problem with the Japanese. But I also know a little Nihon-go and they really like it when you try to speak to them in their language.

Don't get me wrong I loved the way the game was set up with the jobs system, the location, the quests, and most of all the storyline, music and art direction but all those other factors killed it for me.

Artoria on
  • KashiKashi Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Takes you forever to grind to endgame, then you find that the endgame is you just standing around waiting for the endgame to let you play it.

In XI you play on the game's time, not on your time. Mobs that everyone wants to kill because they drop the only good loot in the game show up once per day, sometimes 1-3 days. So you stand around forever praying your linkshell gets the claim, and when you do the other 5 linkshells there do their very best to cluster around you so you lag out and die.

Or you could go to Dynamis and grind the useless mobs there and get nothing in return for it, unless you are the designated golden child who will get all the currency and actually obtain your relic weapon (this process generally takes a year and a half. Each.)

allyourafiu6.gif

Kashi on
    dura1top.png
  • HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    At one point, when I was in the throes of deciding to quit FFXI, I talked a lot on ffxionline.com about how to fix the game. I think the North American userbase that's left would be thrilled with even some simple changes. Look at the reaction they got when they smoothed the level curve and reduced the death penalty... keep going on those lines and other user-friendliness items and it would be a great game.

The problem is, it's not clear that the developers or the Japanese playerbase wants that friendlier game.

Do they still say they delete characters 3 months after deactivating the account? That struck me as one of the dumbest MMO decisions ever. And then when subscriptions stagnated, they did that "Return to Vanadiel" thing, where suddenly all those deleted characters weren't so deleted after all! But IIRC, only for a limited time! :|

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • MAINER 3.0MAINER 3.0 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I still play it

I've got a black chocobo

MAINER 3.0 on
    e1130cc97b22e51a13c9fb00ab1c3451.png
  • HullabalooHullabaloo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    This was like, a lot of fun with the linkshell I had. I think that's what more people needed, linkshells that were about having FUN with each other, rather then just grinding forwards.

Anyways, I haven't played the game for years. That deleting characters thing sucks, I miss my taru-taru bard, who had goals of being a summoner (I'd have been a summoner, but you needed to get to level 60 to get anything other then carbuncle at the time.) Anyways, there's a fun game there under all the stuff trying to stop you.

Hullabaloo on
    Xbox ID: Oggie Rock
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm on Odin. I'm enjoying the game well enough. My friend helps me through whatever quests he can. He's trying to get me through to Rank 5 with San D'oria. I'm currently a Mithra 25THF/12MNK (Or 13. I forget what it decides on). Going for Samurai.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • FierceDeity666FierceDeity666 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    i still have an elvaan on midgardsormr.

my main gripe with that server is that no other forumers are there at all.

the only one other than me was KiTA.

FierceDeity666 on
  • s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    At one point, when I was in the throes of deciding to quit FFXI, I talked a lot on ffxionline.com about how to fix the game. I think the North American userbase that's left would be thrilled with even some simple changes. Look at the reaction they got when they smoothed the level curve and reduced the death penalty... keep going on those lines and other user-friendliness items and it would be a great game.

The problem is, it's not clear that the developers or the Japanese playerbase wants that friendlier game.

Do they still say they delete characters 3 months after deactivating the account? That struck me as one of the dumbest MMO decisions ever. And then when subscriptions stagnated, they did that "Return to Vanadiel" thing, where suddenly all those deleted characters weren't so deleted after all! But IIRC, only for a limited time! :|
    There is a good game in there, somewhere...

Things I'd do to fix it:
    • Change skillchains to be strictly stat-based, so there isn't a "best" one.
    • Normalize spell damage across the elements (e.g. all the -aga spells should have the same hitting power)
    • Reduce the importance of levels, so that groups can be within 3 or 4 levels of each other instead of 1 or 2.
    • Change the way subjobs accumulate spells and stats so that a couple people subbed white mage or red mage can pull healing duty. That'd add a much-needed degree of flexibility to group creation.
    • Add some semblance of soloability. It doesn't need to be fantastic or even comparable to group experience, but it needs to be possible for pretty much everyone.
    • More quests, less grinding.
    If they did those things, I'd resubscribe in a hearbeat. Fat chance, though.

s3rial one on
  • HullabalooHullabaloo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Oh also, have they done anything about putting Tetra-master (or whatever that little side card game was called) INTO the main game?

Not that they showed any signs of ever wanting to, but I always thought it'd be an awsome way to pass the time while waiting for a party.

Hullabaloo on
    Xbox ID: Oggie Rock
  • ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I play FFXI simply because I am in a good LS and I dont want to go back to a shittier comunity in WoW. I would do the dunes 8 times before Id ever fucking do Scholo or UD Strat, or UBRS again.

Clawshrimpy on
  • MAINER 3.0MAINER 3.0 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    If anybody is on Asura we should start a PA linkshell

MAINER 3.0 on
    e1130cc97b22e51a13c9fb00ab1c3451.png
  • langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    MAINER 3.0 wrote:
    If anybody is on Asura we should start a PA linkshell

I just ran into an old friend of mine that I've known for 20+ years, and the whole reason I started this thread is because he plays FF XI and we haven't gamed together since we used to play tabletop D&D.

He actually plays on Asura, so once I get a world pass I'm going to start a character there. PM me your character name if you want to get in touch. Fair warning, I'm new to this game.

I've seen a lot of negative stuff out there, so what keeps people coming back? They released this game on 360 and I have two friends back home that are diehards (the other one is on Odin) so there has to be something to it.

langfor6 on
  • askask Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    the game is awesome looking and has a great atmosphere but like everyone else already mentioned the game is a terrible grind fest. I quit playing around the time chains of promathia came out so some of this may have been fixed no but

- it took forever to get a good working party together and equally long to get anything accomplished
    - it was basically a requirement to have the absolute best gear for your level
    - everything was insanely expensive and money making either consisted of hours of monotonous fishing/mining etc. or standing in a field with 500 other people hoping you beat them all to some stupid lizard that spawns once a day and isn't even guaranteed to drop the pair of boots everyone wants
    - leveling took forever and one death would wipe away hours worth of exp
    - nobody seemed to care about the quests or the story line so nevermind increasing your rank cause all everyone else wants to do is grind to level 70 and get their AF

I was in a really good linkshell for awhile and it solved most of these problems but once it broke up I just couldnt force myself to keep going. deep down though I really loved that game. If square does that return to vanadiel thing again I might consider going back. I miss my old dark knight

ask on
  • ColdbrandColdbrand Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    ask wrote:
    the game is awesome looking and has a great atmosphere but like everyone else already mentioned the game is a terrible grind fest. I quit playing around the time chains of promathia came out so some of this may have been fixed no but

- it took forever to get a good working party together and equally long to get anything accomplished
    - everything was insanely expensive and money making either consisted of hours of monotonous fishing/mining etc. or standing in a field with 500 other people hoping you beat them all to some stupid lizard that spawns once a day and isn't even guaranteed to drop the pair of boots everyone wants
    - nobody seemed to care about the quests or the story line so nevermind increasing your rank cause all everyone else wants to do is grind to level 70 and get their AF

I was in a really good linkshell for awhile and it solved most of these problems but once it broke up I just couldnt force myself to keep going. deep down though I really loved that game. If square does that return to vanadiel thing again I might consider going back. I miss my old dark knight
    The game is nothing like this at all.

Coldbrand on
  • askask Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    like I said things may have changed since but that was my experience with the game. when I was in a good active linkshell all those problems went away but that only lasted for a few months

I still think it was a good game at its core there was just a lot of things that got in the way of that fact

EDIT: I also dont think I am really cut out for MMO's . so that probably had a lot to do with it

ask on
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Coldbrand wrote:
    ask wrote:

Really? When did it change? Because I played 9 or 10 months ago (whenever it came out on the 360) and it was still like that. Well, except for the XP part.

Invisible on
  • ducttapeenthusiastducttapeenthusiast Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The game certainly isn't for everyone, as I've heard several accounts of people not having a very fun time. Some cases are just people not sticking it out to get to the good stuff, others are simply people who are not cut out for MMO's. Otherwise, people have their own tastes and are entitled to their opinion. I enjoy the game, personally.
    Invisible wrote:
    Coldbrand wrote:
    ask wrote:

Really? When did it change? Because I played 9 or 10 months ago (whenever it came out on the 360) and it was still like that. Well, except for the XP part.

Again, it's all personal opinion, and your opinion is usually formed based on the people you meet. There are people playing that have the same goals in mind as you, you just have to find them. Speak up, make some friends and the game really picks up fast.

ducttapeenthusiast on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    I just logged off. I am a hair away from level 61 on White Mage.

My server is Carbuncle.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • 1up1up Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I used to be the Linkshell leader of the Penny Arcadians on Lakshmi (G&T). I made it to 75 BLM and had done up to Dynamis Xarcabard. In the end it really wasnt worth it. I had AF2 and drops from sky and sea access. But to do that I had to alienate myself from my Linkshell. Had some really good times with a lot of PAers. I made a little crappy flash before I left about our old guild.

(this will take a while to load)
    http://home.comcast.net/~1upmushroom/thatthing.swf

1up on
    tf2_sig.png
  • langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm up and running on Asura now. My name is Tevok if anyone wants to hit me up.

langfor6 on
  • MephianseMephianse Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I play FFXI simply because I am in a good LS and I dont want to go back to a shittier comunity in WoW. I would do the dunes 8 times before Id ever fucking do Scholo or UD Strat, or UBRS again.

All those dungeons are irrevalent and useless now. OUTLAND ftw.
    FFXI was a great game at the time..but the horrible community on the server i was on, not to mention that if you are a dragoon or samurai(my 2 favorite classes) you cant get a group.

Mephianse on
  • King KongKing Kong Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Honestly this game is about friends. If you dont make any or make very few it just doesn't work.

I've played for over 3 years now and my orginal time thru I had a great shell with fellow PA'ers which made the game much more enjoyable.

Now I've made a second account fo rmy 360 and going thru with no real shell sucks a lot of life out of it.

King Kong on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    I view every MMO as somethng pretty to see/do while chatting with friends.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited February 2007
    I am going to get level 61 White Mage this weekend. I am 2500 points away! I am so psyched!

I want to tool around with my new Automaton chasis first though.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited February 2007
    Bri_FFXI_puppet_master.JPG

Spoilered for H-Scroll

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    1up wrote: »
    I used to be the Linkshell leader of the Penny Arcadians on Lakshmi (G&T). I made it to 75 BLM and had done up to Dynamis Xarcabard. In the end it really wasnt worth it. I had AF2 and drops from sky and sea access. But to do that I had to alienate myself from my Linkshell. Had some really good times with a lot of PAers. I made a little crappy flash before I left about our old guild.

(this will take a while to load)
    http://home.comcast.net/~1upmushroom/thatthing.swf

Wait which one were you? I know keit in the game.

edit: Nvm it was keitarou not keitaro. Stupid random name generator...

mrcheesypants on
    Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
    Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.
  • AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It's kinda sad that the big announcements this month were choose what world your character will be in during creation (omg no more worldpasses!) and a rumored legal windowed mode. Mmm.

Was a lv75 THF in Ramuh. Quit a month ago, just didn't have the time to do shit in the game.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • ducttapeenthusiastducttapeenthusiast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Airan wrote: »
    It's kinda sad that the big announcements this month were choose what world your character will be in during creation (omg no more worldpasses!) and a rumored legal windowed mode. Mmm.

Was a lv75 THF in Ramuh. Quit a month ago, just didn't have the time to do shit in the game.

They still have 4 days to make the big announcements, and the best is usually saved until the last minute. The windowed mode is also not a rumor, it's fact, along with adjustments to endgame drop rates. The only things still "rumored" are the details regarding both, which we should hear about in the next few days.

I will agree, the world selection and migration thing is a bit rediculous and should've been done a while back, but at least they finally did something about it. Otherwise, congrats on beating the game(addiction)! Heh...

ducttapeenthusiast on
    edited March 2007
    So I am putting together a White Mage guide. If you have any insights you would like to share, PMz plz.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • XhaztolXhaztol Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This might piss off a lot of PS2 players, but seriously, this game would even benefit from being PC only, receiving a heavy overhaul upgrade of the UI and the graphics. Maybe some proper mouse support. I dunno. I still play, having a good time with PUP, but for the love of God, having to cater to the PS2 users and deal with giant ugly fonts and slow menus is a pain. For some reason I don't think I'd mind the grind as much if the interface were as quick and responsive as say, WoW's.

But we'll never get that.

Here's hoping to the game's sequel.

Xhaztol on
    kalamari.jpg
    edited March 2007
    I think you are forgetting that the game was designed to be used with a controller.

Just_Bri_Thanks on