Options

Final Fantasy XI?

2»

• Options
    GahmriousGahmrious Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I quit playing about 6 months ago, and I absolutely loved it. My wife hated it, and it resulted in me having to quit as a 68RDM with a slew of other jobs leveled to 20.

Its an aquired taste, and if you join up trying to compare it to WoW , you'll be pretty upset, so dont do anything of the sort.

I was apart of the best linkshell ever, it was home to the creators of ffxiclopedia.org, Team-Avengers.... *cry* I miss those guys.

Gahmrious on
  • Options
    MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm having a blast with Final Fantasy XI. Despite being told that the game's just a ridiculous grind and that I will never get a party, ever, I find myself with far too much non-grindy stuff to fit into my schedule.

I do three lv30 capped Emptiness fights with my Linkshell on Saturdays. This entails three dungeon crawls (typically evading hideously overpowered monsters with the occasional fight to progress to the next floor) with three instanced boss fights. I get 9,000 Experience and often a hefty amount of Gil for two hours of good ol' dungeon crawling fun. We've just started doing the lv40 fights, too, so that's another evening taken up by beating the shit out of bosses at our leisure.

Assault is a godsend; a shame it doesn't become available until lv50. Any time I connect to my Assault Linkshell, I can be hooked up to two-four more party members and triapsing through an instanced dungeon within fifteen minutes. I've yet to progress past the lv50 cap Assaults, but they're crazy-fun, easy to organise and, though the rarity of some drops is ludicrous, completing an Assault accrues points that can be spent on fantastic armour.

When I feel like getting Experience the grindy way (I typically just go to Besieged and do ENMs for levelling) I can put a party together within thirty minutes. I'm a Dragoon, if that matters at all. When I'm not leading a party, I pop on my Blue Mage subjob and solo monsters that check Even Match with my invite flag up. I can get 4,000 Experience an hour just spearing stuff on my own, with next to no downtime. Get to keep all the drops, too. Beastmen Seals and Kindred Seals convert into even more awesome boss fights.

Perhaps I've just been lucky.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics/ff11us/detail/1533/detail.html
    New update info.
    SE wrote:
    In the upcoming version update, we plan to introduce two new dark knight spells, as well as implement changes to Signet that will improve party play for smaller groups.

Signet Bonuses

The adjustments made to improve player accuracy and attack versus monsters of a higher level, as well as the measures implemented to benefit full parties and prevent unfair pulling practices, have made it difficult for smaller groups to cooperate efficiently against weaker opponents.

In order to address this issue, the following bonuses will be added to the Signet effect in the upcoming version update:
    - Increased Healing HP
    - No TP loss while resting
    - Bonus experience earned in smaller parties
    - Increased defense and evasion against attacks from your auto-attack target

- Increased Healing HP
    The initial value for Healing HP (based on the character's level), as well as the incremental jumps in Healing HP (based on the character's maximum HP), will be increased.
    This change will improve Healing HP in a similar fashion to the bonus granted to Healing MP by the Clear Mind job trait.

- No TP loss while resting
    While this bonus is in effect, TP will not be lost while resting.
    This will allow players to rest fully for their next battle while still maintaining the store of TP they had built from their previous opponent.

- Bonus experience in small groups
    The amount of experience earned while in smaller parties will be increased.
    This bonus will be applied on the following scale:
    1533_2.jpg

*The experience earned for defeating special monsters will remain unaffected.

- Increased defense and evasion against attacks from your auto-attack target
    Players will gain a bonus to their defense and evasion against their auto-attack target.
    This bonus only applies to attacks from an opponent who you are auto-attacking with a drawn weapon. There is no effect against attacks from other sources, including monsters that unexpectedly join the fray.
    *This bonus will only apply to monsters that check as "even match" or weaker to the player.

The bonuses described above will only take effect when a player has received Signet, and is within the usual Signet-specific areas.
    These bonuses do not apply during Ballista, or other PvP events.

New Dark Knight Spells

The following dark knight spells will be introduced in the upcoming version update.

- Drain II (Lv.62 Recast Time: 3 minutes Duration: 1 minute)
    Steals an enemy's HP, potentially increasing maximum HP. Ineffective against undead.

HP drained that exceeds the amount necessary to fully heal the dark knight will temporarily boost maximum HP.
    As well as healing the dark knight, this spell should prove useful in providing extra HP for abilities such as Souleater.

- Dread Spikes (Lv.71 Recast Time: 3 minutes Duration: 1 minute)
    Covers you with magical darkness spikes. Steals HP from enemies that hit you. Ineffective against undead.

While Dread Spikes is in effect, the dark knight will drain an amount of HP from an enemy corresponding to the amount of damage inflicted by each of the enemy's attacks.
    Dread Spikes will wear off after the dark knight has absorbed an amount of HP equal to a certain percentage of his maximum HP, regardless of the remaining duration.

*The effect of Dread Spikes will be adjusted during PvP.

The HP absorbed by the reactive effect of Dread Spikes will not generate enmity for the dark knight.
    *The dark knight will still be KO'd if a single attack inflicts an amount of damage that exceeds his remaining HP.

SQURE-ENIX

First the changes in the way people choose their worlds, then a rumor about a legal windower and now this! WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE AND WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO SQUARE-ENIX!

mrcheesypants on
    Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
    Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    a rumor about a legal rumor? o.O

Nice changes to signet, but you still won't see many people outside of beastmasters, and dual-boxers doing anything but full teams. A small exp increase to lessen the curve would have went a million miles to making things better.

Maybe they need a system that makes xp earned directly proportional to the population of the server. :p

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    MumblyfishMumblyfish Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    KingsHand wrote: »
    Nice changes to signet, but you still won't see many people outside of beastmasters, and dual-boxers doing anything but full teams.
    I solo and party with only one or two other allies as a Dragoon/Mage. My solo monsters of choice are all in the Middle Lands at present, so this is a wonderful change for me. Not only do I get more experience if I grab another Dragoon to tag along, but I get increased defense against Even Match opponents. Neat.

Edit: Well, increased evasion. The increased defense would be nice if defense actually had a noticable effect on damage recieved. But that, along with two-hander damage compared to dual-wielding, has yet to be even acknowledged by Square-Enix.

Mumblyfish on
  • Options
    mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    KingsHand wrote: »
    a rumor about a legal rumor? o.O

Nice changes to signet, but you still won't see many people outside of beastmasters, and dual-boxers doing anything but full teams. A small exp increase to lessen the curve would have went a million miles to making things better.

Maybe they need a system that makes xp earned directly proportional to the population of the server. :p

Yeah don't you know? Spreading rumors on the internet is jailable for 5-10 years!
    I Had only 20 min of sleep when I posted this.(damn term paper)
    Edited it to legal windower.

But as a PUP who solos and duos a lot this is big news. The increased % may not look all that big but it can add up. A Tough which is worth 120-150 for a solo is now worth 90-112 as opposed to 72-90 in a duo. In a party of three which could have the potency to chain these things will get 66-83 exp a kill.

In addition to this info, there are always surprises for PUP in patches these days...

mrcheesypants on
    Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
    Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.
  • Options
    DuskTwilightDuskTwilight Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Mumblyfish wrote: »
    I'm having a blast with Final Fantasy XI. Despite being told that the game's just a ridiculous grind and that I will never get a party, ever, I find myself with far too much non-grindy stuff to fit into my schedule.

I do three lv30 capped Emptiness fights with my Linkshell on Saturdays. This entails three dungeon crawls (typically evading hideously overpowered monsters with the occasional fight to progress to the next floor) with three instanced boss fights. I get 9,000 Experience and often a hefty amount of Gil for two hours of good ol' dungeon crawling fun. We've just started doing the lv40 fights, too, so that's another evening taken up by beating the shit out of bosses at our leisure.

Assault is a godsend; a shame it doesn't become available until lv50. Any time I connect to my Assault Linkshell, I can be hooked up to two-four more party members and triapsing through an instanced dungeon within fifteen minutes. I've yet to progress past the lv50 cap Assaults, but they're crazy-fun, easy to organise and, though the rarity of some drops is ludicrous, completing an Assault accrues points that can be spent on fantastic armour.

When I feel like getting Experience the grindy way (I typically just go to Besieged and do ENMs for levelling) I can put a party together within thirty minutes. I'm a Dragoon, if that matters at all. When I'm not leading a party, I pop on my Blue Mage subjob and solo monsters that check Even Match with my invite flag up. I can get 4,000 Experience an hour just spearing stuff on my own, with next to no downtime. Get to keep all the drops, too. Beastmen Seals and Kindred Seals convert into even more awesome boss fights.

Perhaps I've just been lucky.

You sir are a man who actually knows how to play this game.

Also, does anyone else on here play on Ramuh?

DuskTwilight on