As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Starcraft 2: New Thread

• Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Watched the replays of the DH finals, they sure don't like expanding

peacekeeper on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Timing usually means that it's timed to occur with something finishing that's good for the player pushing, or hits at a time that is disadvantageous for the defending player (like the while they're starting to get Colossus and don't have any yet, or just after they've expanded).

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    PantsB wrote: »
    The Mananama series seems to already have effected the meta game. I just had 3 straight PvT. They went mm + tank + banshee plus bunkers in all of them.

I won two because I FE'd in one, and just out lasted him in the other (52 minute long game!) but didn't get an obs in the the second one on steppes and couldn't recover.

Gold/high Silver seems very prone to trends like this. I play mostly Golds with Silver and Plat scattered in there but whatever just happened on Day9 or GSL seems to pop up quickly after

Good macro should win you 90% of your games from silver to high gold/plat (with a reasonable timing push). No real need for fast expands or anything like that really. Just make probes, pylons and gateway units. Seriously, it'll work ridiculously well.

You'll win because you have "more stuff" and will never have that much money.
    I know that's the official line but its not really true. Unit composition does matter

repimg-33-169466.jpg
    Against a Bronze.

I had 20 more probes than he did at 6 minutes and a larger army when I made my push. But mine was made up of Stalkers and Immortals, he had 2 Colossi out with a much smaller stalker count, and enough sentries to ff one of the JB mid-map ramps. My army got destroyed and then he expanded.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Macro is so much more important, though.

Your strategies need go no further than "mass roach/hydra" or "mass marine" or "mass stalker/zealot" until you hit a fairly high MMR.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    GGs simon, I want to play someone above my level so that I can learn faster, but I'm afraid you're a little too high :P

TIFunkalicious on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Its not foolproof but you will have well over 60% win rate with solid macro all the way up to DIamond.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think your army got destroyed because the majority of it was either on Move command or target-firing the Colossus and got stuck behind your units and the Forcefields without doing anything. Only about 6 of your Stalkers were actually firing during that battle.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Simon your league sounds very cool too mate, looking forward to it.

peacekeeper on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Faced a hilariously bad Zerg player today.

Apparently the size of the gateway army I massed off 1 base "does not make sence"

repimg-33-169470.jpg

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I have got to be the most inconsistent player around.

kedinik on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Way to fuck up the signup Lemming

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    There are some units that just aren't going to be used at "high" levels of play and the Mothership is probably one of them. We currently don't have any plans to change this unit.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Man, I sure do love in ZvZ when the other guy goes mutas. Just waltz my roaches into your base and kill all your drones while your muties fail to kill them fast enough. lols you wasted all your monies on muties which are worthless and you should have made roaches

then lolfungalgrowth + hydra

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    KambingKambing Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Delta, Basin, and (to a lesser extent) temple? Jesus Simon, you hate the swarm huh. =(

Kambing on
    @TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Way to fuck up the signup Lemming

8-)

Lemming on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Kambing wrote: »
    Delta, Basin, and (to a lesser extent) temple? Jesus Simon, you hate the swarm huh. =(

Simon is a protoss player who likes blink stalkers. Hatin on the swarm

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
  • Options
    CasedOutCasedOut Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    none of those maps are really good for zerg

edit: why cant we just do a loser picks tournament?

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    s_86 wrote: »
    I didn't realise that until Kambing pointed it out. Oh well, they were randomly picked you guys.

so let us do loser picks =p

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Yay a tournament on a sunday means I can play

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Just passed 50% for the first time in a long time, I'm dropping early banshees and tanks for the most part in favor of units that don't require micro or placement then just macromode. I don't know why I ever stopped bioballs

TIFunkalicious on
  • Options
    chuckleberryfinnchuckleberryfinn Ireland Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    The Mananama series seems to already have effected the meta game. I just had 3 straight PvT. They went mm + tank + banshee plus bunkers in all of them.

I won two because I FE'd in one, and just out lasted him in the other (52 minute long game!) but didn't get an obs in the the second one on steppes and couldn't recover.

Gold/high Silver seems very prone to trends like this. I play mostly Golds with Silver and Plat scattered in there but whatever just happened on Day9 or GSL seems to pop up quickly after

Good macro should win you 90% of your games from silver to high gold/plat (with a reasonable timing push). No real need for fast expands or anything like that really. Just make probes, pylons and gateway units. Seriously, it'll work ridiculously well.

You'll win because you have "more stuff" and will never have that much money.
    I know that's the official line but its not really true. Unit composition does matter

repimg-33-169466.jpg
    Against a Bronze.

I had 20 more probes than he did at 6 minutes and a larger army when I made my push. But mine was made up of Stalkers and Immortals, he had 2 Colossi out with a much smaller stalker count, and enough sentries to ff one of the JB mid-map ramps. My army got destroyed and then he expanded.

I don't play protoss. :/

Eight minutes in you have an expansion and 2 stalkers and a zealot, the other bloke has an army. You were dead at eight minutes. You expanded too early, you didn't spend your chrono boost consistently, you weren't constantly making probes, pylons and gateway units. You made more unit producing structures than you could afford.

Don't fast expand, always check your chrono boost, make sure you're always producing from your gates and expand when you have the money to.

chuckleberryfinn on
    No Protoss players were underpowered during this post.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    new tag is 'NerfLove' it's what I'm signed up under

TIFunkalicious on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    immortals can rape colossi as long as they have a shot. colossi have such huge range though with the upgrade, and force fields can easily ruin your day.

I have won a couple games though where I went heavy immortals vs colossi and won simply due to focus fire.

Guek on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think Dreamhack's way of choosing the map pool is my favorite:

Each player takes a turn vetoing a map; after 4 maps are vetoed, 3 maps remain. That's the map pool!

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I am going to have to agree 3clipse, that sounds like a really solid method

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
  • Options
    tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Tourney on a Sunday night, I can't play :( Curse you people living in the past!

tehmarken on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I've been using fast pools -> baneling on the ladder lately.

My baneling/ling micro is pretty terrible.

e: Simon, that website looks really nice.

kedinik on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    i've been using DTs if i scout no forge to great effect in PvP

ees deleeshuzz

Guek on
  • Options
    SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Fuck

Weeks of nothing but team games have completely ruined my 1v1 ability.

Seguer on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Is this the right time for the tournament?

That is a pretty neat site

peacekeeper on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    So I decided to try nothing but all-ins on the ladder today.

Lose lose lose lose win lose lose lose lose lose lose lose win lose lose lose.

Sadness.

But at least I can half-competently early-pool in ZvZ, and have reaffirmed that anything short of 6-pool fails ZvP and ZvT.

kedinik on
  • Options
    RiledoRiledo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Riledo wrote: »
    Kami wrote: »
    I've been practicing with YABOT, and I can comfortable do an okay set of Terran openings! <3

Beforehand I wouldn't know what to do to 1/1/1, or how to time a proper MMM push, or even the proper time to expand, but now I'm a bit more comfortable in my own skin!

<3 the stim timing push. So lethal.

The stim timing push is powerful... I used to think I was cheesing, but it's taken me from high silver to high gold, i'm beginning to think people don't build enough defense early on now. I go 4 rax, marine heavy and move out when stim is like 85% done. Works like a charm.

How do you support 4 rax on one base?

With only 1 tech lab, and 3 basic barracks. You push early, then either win, or take out their expo while expanding yourself. build a few more cycles and you can start adding on reactors and more tech labs pretty easily while also getting a reactored starport and double medivacs to help finish it off.

Riledo on
    1681795-1.png
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Argh. A budding penny arcade league, and me without my video card.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    anyone wanna play. I am done laddering for the night.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
  • Options
    tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I want in on this lobby, but none of you bums have you IDs up in our masterlist!

tehmarken on
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Lemming.462

Lemming on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I have been wondering if this would work but I am always too nervous to ladder.up.

Basically, build an engineering bay and 2 commandcenters. Turn the first into a PF, research building armor, and the other two has orbital commands. Really, you can get the PF around 5:30 and after that your economy would be huge. Don't even get the barracks until after the PF and third command center are up.

The most I have tried is against the AI and it works pretty well.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    What's the point of this build...?

Is it meant to get out a lot of SCVs really quickly or something?

Would lose to most human opponents, because they'll see that you don't have any unit producing structures with their scout and just push in with their first few units (~3-3:30 generally) and roll you.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    By that time though a wall is already up and a PF is started.

Basically the point of it is to do something different. Shit that seems like there is no way in hell it could work.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It might work. Do it!

kedinik on