As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Assassin's Creed: New DLC in March 8th! New SP and MP stuff for $10!

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    How do you counter with the apple? It won't even let me target dudes.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    -Tal wrote: »
    You don't need to target, or even aim. Just hit the attack button on a counter timing. As a matter of fact, if an enemy starts attacking at any time during the animation, even after you've hit the button, it'll still trigger.

Monger on
  • Options
    ScarboroughScarborough Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Can i get into and enjoy Brotherhood without having previously playing the first two?

Scarborough on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Can i get into and enjoy Brotherhood without having previously playing the first two?

Not really, AC:B starts right where AC:2 ended, and while they have a "last time on..." video, you will be completly lost to what is happening when you start up.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    :?:
    Monger wrote: »
    You don't need to target, or even aim. Just hit the attack button on a counter timing. As a matter of fact, if an enemy starts attacking at any time during the animation, even after you've hit the button, it'll still trigger.
    I'm doing this, but it's no different than the regular attack.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    BrymBrym Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I've just started Sequence 8, and I'm afraid that there might be a part where they lock me out from doing side missions. Is that going to happen? Does the game let you go back in as Desmond and do side stuff after the end credits?

*EDIT* When I said Desmond, I meant Ezio. I don't really care if I get to collect worthless artifacts from Monteriggioni.

Brym on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Brym wrote: »
    I've just started Sequence 8, and I'm afraid that there might be a part where they lock me out from doing side missions. Is that going to happen? Does the game let you go back in as Desmond and do side stuff after the end credits?

I belive the absolote point of no return before your forced through to the endgame is
    right before you take the Apple out of the statue in St.Pester's, and no, no more desmond after the end of the game.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    No.

Kadoken on
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    :?:
    Monger wrote: »
    I'm doing this, but it's no different than the regular attack.
    The regular attack should be him holding the apple in front of him, and I don't think it can do anything to enemies beyond stunning them. The counter should be the same animation, but the dude attacking you should start erupting blood from his ears while collapsing into the fetal position.

If you can't get the counter to trigger, I don't know what's up.

*EDIT* When I said Desmond, I meant Ezio. I don't really care if I get to collect worthless artifacts from Monteriggioni.
    You can run around as Ezio after the credits. You can't run around as Desmond after the credits, unless you count running around as Ezio while wearing the Desmond costume.

edit: Got animations confused.

Monger on
  • Options
    BrymBrym Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    So getting close to the end of this, I think it's firmly on the "expansion pack" side of "expansion pack v. sequel". The key distinction is how little plot advancement there is. The entire main storyline of AC:B feels like 1/3 of AC2. They do pad out the length with plenty of side missions, but there's not a lot of moving the ball forward. This is normally the type of yearly sequel that while perfectly competent, I normally avoid in favor of something new.

The multiplayer is what pushed this into the "buy" category for me, and I'm glad it did. The multiplayer is unique and fun, and the single player is good enough to round out the purchase.

I do think the multiplayer has too little content to justify a full 50-level curve. It just doesn't feel like I have as many options to play with as I do in a Call of Duty. I hope they blow it wide open in the next game with many more perks, abilities, streaks, and modes.

I'm also hoping for the French Revolution. So much delicious history to play with.

Brym on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Jesus crunchy christ the last page was a spoiler tag minefield.

So hard to resist clicking.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    On the subject of Subject 16.
    He may still be alive. I think the achievement for finding all the glyphs in AC:B is I'm Still Alive in morse code! At least, that's what gamefaqs told me.

Khildith on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Khildith wrote: »
    He may still be alive. I think the achievement for finding all the glyphs in AC:B is I'm Still Alive in morse code! At least, that's what gamefaqs told me.
    his being alive refers to him downloading himself into the animus

he drained his blood in AC1, so he's obviously not physically alive

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Khildith wrote: »
    his being alive refers to him downloading himself into the animus

he drained his blood in AC1, so he's obviously not physically alive
    I understand, and don't really think hes alive either, but I don't think its outside the realm of possibility to have him be secretly alive. We didn't see what happened, we never met the guy, all we saw was a bunch of stuff written in blood and people explaining it after the fact.

Hell, he could have written that stuff over the course of a few weeks and still be fine, if he had a way to hide the cuts and such from the Abstergo people.

Of course, this is all complete bullshit and I don't know what I'm talking about, but as plot twists go, it wouldn't really be shocking.

Khildith on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I'm not sure how he'd hide bloodstains on the wall

Lucy explained it in pretty unambiguous terms that he killed himself, she has no reason to lie about it

he is "alive" within the animus and that gets the job done as far as his future involvement goes, and that's already a pretty shocking plot twist

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Something interesting I've found out in Multiplayer...

If you lean over the edge of a building and use Smoke Bomb or Firecrackers, instead of activating right at your feet, the effect will instead take place on the ground beneath you...

Neat little trick if you want to use firecrackers to weed out your target without being close enough to get hit with the nigh-inevidable smokebomb counter.

Also, Fast Getaway make the chase meter empty faster when you are the one being chased.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I do think the multiplayer has too little content to justify a full 50-level curve. It just doesn't feel like I have as many options to play with as I do in a Call of Duty. I hope they blow it wide open in the next game with many more perks, abilities, streaks, and modes.

I disagree, actually, and I was extremely worried about there not being enough to the multiplayer to justify getting up to level 50.

But I've been playing with PA groups and am at level 40 already. I think the number of options available are plenty, as well, considering each special ability has three variations to them, besides the normal version. As far as the small number of perks, it's hard for me to figure out which two I want the most anyway, because they're all good.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm playing Project Legacy right now, making it the first Facebook game I've ever played

It's...deceptively simple but addicting for some reason

Have I stumbled into the reason why people play Farmville and Mafia Wars and shit?

Why? Why did you tell me about this?

Augh, I'm going to be clicking over and over again all damned night. D:

In good news, my copy is due to be delivered either tomorrow or Tuesday. Joyous!

RisenPhoenix on
  • Options
    Frosty the Snow PlowFrosty the Snow Plow Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I disagree, actually, and I was extremely worried about there not being enough to the multiplayer to justify getting up to level 50.

But I've been playing with PA groups and am at level 40 already. I think the number of options available are plenty, as well, considering each special ability has three variations to them, besides the normal version. As far as the small number of perks, it's hard for me to figure out which two I want the most anyway, because they're all good.

I'm just going to second this real quick.

Not only do the unlocks they give you at each level usually feel significant and interesting enough, they aren't really prime motivation for levelling. What I think is most to this game's credit is that when I go into that next match, it's not because some metagame of levelling and unlocks is driving me on, it's because I want to play that next match.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm playing Project Legacy right now, making it the first Facebook game I've ever played

Have I stumbled into the reason why people play Farmville and Mafia Wars and shit?

In good news, my copy is due to be delivered either tomorrow or Tuesday. Joyous!

My copy is also coming on Tuesday. Should I start Project Legacy now? Do I need to link them up or something?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    You get the Florence and Venice capes from AC2. That's pretty much it.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Holy shit. End game spoiler.
    I had no idea the Apple could counter people. I just jumped on and tried it.
    He thrust it in the guys face and does a quick burst. The guy clutches his head and falls over with blood pouring out of his head from everywhere.
    I made his brain explode. D:
    That's easily one of the most horrific counters in the game.

You can do this?

Damn, that would seriously alleviate the irritation I felt when playing that section.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    You get the Florence and Venice capes from AC2. That's pretty much it.

Yeah, I just did this over the past week, and I wouldn't recommend it. Getting all the stuff necessary for the capes takes fucking forever, and even though I found it addicting in the beginning, I got sick of it pretty quickly.

The capes don't even do anything. They're just cosmetic.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    My disappointment that you can't upgrade your assassistants to look like the multiplayer models is palpable. It's a physical thing, is what I am saying here. UI was so looking forward to having a coterie of murderous harlequins and now all I can do is change the color? Boring, boring , boring.

And that noise they make? The falcon shriek? It just sounds like a rabbit in pain. Like I'm summoning jackrabbits with migranes.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    My disappointment that you can't upgrade your assassistants to look like the multiplayer models is palpable. It's a physical thing, is what I am saying here. UI was so looking forward to having a coterie of murderous harlequins and now all I can do is change the color? Boring, boring , boring.

And that noise they make? The falcon shriek? It just sounds like a rabbit in pain. Like I'm summoning jackrabbits with migranes.

From what I've seen from playing single player (sort of spoilers):
    The multiplayer characters are the targets of assassinations.

I kind of wanted to have a band of exclusively women Assassins like a Renaissance Charlie's Angels, but after letting several identical civilians die I assumed that the models were in a strict sequence.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It's definitely not in a strict sequence. I've had almost entirely females before save for some guys with rad facial hair I wasn't willing to send to their deaths.

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Fair enough - vetting all of the citizens was making me feel like a bit of a jerk, so I stuck with whoever came along first. Having a full complement of fully-trained death machines pop out whenever I whistle is cool enough for me to not worry anymore :D

Rhesus Positive on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I color coded my mans to know which ones I thought were cute when I recruited them.

Red: foxy! Defend to the end.
    Black: Doable if I had a drink first
    Green: Save them last, aka "chubby dogs"
    White: wimmins

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

My copy is also coming on Tuesday. Should I start Project Legacy now? Do I need to link them up or something?

You can also get experience for your assisstants. I think you get like x every 4 hours. I play once a day and tend to get about 75. It is enough to help my newest assisstants get a couple levels up and be more useful. There may be more, but I haven't seen it.
    The nice part about the FB game is that it tells some interesting stories. Mario dealing with someone causing trouble in Monteregioni, for example. Eventually, it becomes a full scale battle (you craft and recruit soldiers in the course of the memory). Not as good as it could have been as a 'real' game, but still interesting. Also, owning properties is just as addictive as in Brotherhood. Unfortunately, it seems that the cost/reward system for them is boned up.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I color coded my mans to know which ones I thought were cute when I recruited them.

Eventually you won't be able to tell them apart. If you keep them alive long enough to level them up all the way, that is.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Renzo wrote: »

Eventually you won't be able to tell them apart. If you keep them alive long enough to level them up all the way, that is.

Why? Because of the armor they equip when you level armour up? I have some maxed out and they still have the colored hoods.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

Why? Because of the armor they equip when you level armour up? I have some maxed out and they still have the colored hoods.

When they get promoted to proper assassins, they're stuck with the classic white assassin gear.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

When they get promoted to proper assassins, they're stuck with the classic white assassin gear.

Man, I'm starting to hate this game.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    it's because I want to play that next match.

This! I'm always wondering what crazy scenarios are going to play out in the next match and how I can make the most of em.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    "Nothing is true, everything is permitted - except dyed clothes."

Really, white for Assassins makes no sense now there aren't handy groups of white-robed scholars ambling around in large groups.

Rhesus Positive on
  • Options
    edited November 2010

Really, white for Assassins makes no sense now there aren't handy groups of white-robed scholars ambling around in large groups.

I know tradition and yadda yadda yadda but why give me customization options only to take them away again? That's just stupid.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited November 2010

I know tradition and yadda yadda yadda but why give me customization options only to take them away again? That's just stupid.

Ezio seems to have a thing for imposing tradition on others, even though he doesn't follow it himself.
    Such as cutting off his recruits fingers. I mean, I thought they would be over that barbaric practice. He didn't lose his finger after all.

Tomanta on
  • Options
    Feels Good ManFeels Good Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    he does that? hell in AC2 mario says "we don't take things as literal anymore"

wow, ezio you a dick!

Feels Good Man on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I got a chance to play a tiny bit of AC MP this weekend. I was pleasantly surprised by it. I must have joined a game in progress cause there was only 3:00 on the clock, but I finished 2-0. My frist kill was awesome, I tracked down my target and was able to verify I was looking at the right Harlequinn cause he assassinated a doctor right infront of me. I casually kept walking toward him and just as he passed me by I broke his neck. Sweet. Second guy I chased up a wall as he killed his guy and killed him.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    RanshiRanshi Registered User new member
    edited November 2010
    assassinscreedlogo1.jpg

Ranshi on