As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Turn-based game recommendations

2»

• Options
    Neo RasaNeo Rasa Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    TVs_Frank wrote:
    As long as we're on the subject of turn based games, wasn't there a cartoony X-COM for the GBA or DS? I could've sworn I heard about one being made a long time ago.

Correct. It's called Rebelstar: Tactical Command and is very good (albeit with a somewhat clunky interface and load times that are longer than ideal). I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of it though. Namco published it in the US concurrently with Sigma Star Saga (they even shared the same strategy guide) but no one bought Rebelstar due to its horrible cover and lack of being made by the makers of Shantae.

Despite this, personally I found it to be a superior game to Sigma Star Saga.

It was released for $19.99 and is currently a $9.99/$14.99 game. Highly recommended at that price.

Neo Rasa on
    "You know how Batman hangs people over the edge of buildings and gets them to spill information. That's Neo Rasa's way of it, but instead of information, he just likes to see people suffer." ~Senor Fish
  • Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Just to echo the PC recommendations:

Squad Based
    Silent Storm
    Silent Storm Sentinels
    Jagged Alliance 2
    Warhammer 40K: Chaos Gate
    X-COM: UFO Defense / X-COM Enemy Unknown / UFO: Enemy Unknown
    X-COM: Terror From the Deep

More Strategic, I Guess
    Heroes of Might & Magic I, II, III, and V
    Warhammer 40K: Final Liberation
    Ultimate Domain

Mixed and/or Old
    All of the old SSI AD&D Gold Box games
    Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday & Matrix Cubed
    Betrayal at Krondor
    Birthright: The Gorgon's Alliance
    Stronghold (the old SSI one)

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Voro wrote:
    Betrayal at Krondor
    Protip: make sure Owyn's group has a lot of rations before the last couple of chapters. And I mean a shitload.

Captain K on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Voro wrote:
    Outclassed at their own game by Age of Wonders: SM
    It's all in the tactical battles.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    On the PC, Master of Magic and Master of Orion still stand up really well nowadays. People like MoO2 around here, although I liked the first one better. The consensus is to avoid MoO3 like the plague.

Warlords 1 and 2 were great fantasy conquer-the-world games. For whatever reason I never got into 3 or 4. Age of Wonders is really an updated Warlords, but I still like the older games for the responsiveness of the simple graphics.

There have been a bunch of Master of Orion-alikes ("4x games"), and all the ones I've played have been fun for a few playthroughs:
    Stars
    Space Empires 1-5
    Reach for the Stars
    Spaceward Ho!
    Galactic Civilizations 1 & 2

Steel Panthers and the thing that it's evolved into (World at War?) are solid wargamey fun, and Panzer General was a pretty good light wargame, too, back in the day.

Missionforce: Cyberstorm (the first one) was a pretty fun hex-based game with giant robots. The second wasn't all that great.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Captain K wrote:
    Voro wrote:
    Betrayal at Krondor
    Protip: make sure Owyn's group has a lot of rations before the last couple of chapters. And I mean a shitload.

I had forgotten how brutal the game was at times. Make sure those aren't spoiled or poisoned rations as well. I always managed to botch things by joining rations without checking.
    Xagarath wrote:
    Voro wrote:
    Outclassed at their own game by Age of Wonders: SM
    It's all in the tactical battles.

Never played it. I'll just throw the word "Disciples" out there before anyone mentions the other HoMM clone series.
    Orogogus wrote:
    There have been a bunch of Master of Orion-alikes ("4x games"), and all the ones I've played have been fun for a few playthroughs:
    Stars
    Space Empires 1-5
    Reach for the Stars
    Spaceward Ho!
    Galactic Civilizations 1 & 2

No Ascendancy? Blasphemy.

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    lostwords wrote:
    Umm, to the OP, to avoid derailing: you can always check out the Masters of ______ series for the PC. Masters of Orion and Masters of Magic were huge time wasters for me.

Yep, Master of Magic kicks massive ass, and it's available on Home of the Underdogs (as far as I know it's not under copyright anymore, so it's legal...if I'm wrong, I apologize). Mithril Halfling Slingers ftw!

Just be aware that it's about a million years old and doesn't like XP very much. The game still wants to be back in the DOS days of extended memory and boot disks. Sometimes it's happy, sometimes it's stubborn. Good luck.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    GoodOmens wrote:
    lostwords wrote:
    Umm, to the OP, to avoid derailing: you can always check out the Masters of ______ series for the PC. Masters of Orion and Masters of Magic were huge time wasters for me.

Yep, Master of Magic kicks massive ass, and it's available on Home of the Underdogs (as far as I know it's not under copyright anymore, so it's legal...if I'm wrong, I apologize). Mithril Halfling Slingers ftw!
    I think there's still like 100 years to go before the copyright expires. US copyright is 70 or 120 years or something.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Thread needs more X-Com. Way more X-Com. Like, maybe if every post up to this one was about X-Com and somebody linked the legend of Patrick Stewart, but even that's pushing it.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    4rch3nemy wrote:
    Pick up a DS-lite (cheaper than a cube and better, IMO).

GBA:
    Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
    FFT:Advance
    Tactics Ogre: Knights of Lodis

DS:
    Advance Wars: DS

..and you have 4 great games to slog through. :D

Advance Wars DS ownz.

Not to mention that there's a strong possiblity of Jagged Alliance 2 for DS as well.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    TVs_FrankTVs_Frank Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Neo Rasa wrote:
    TVs_Frank wrote:
    As long as we're on the subject of turn based games, wasn't there a cartoony X-COM for the GBA or DS? I could've sworn I heard about one being made a long time ago.

Correct. It's called Rebelstar: Tactical Command and is very good (albeit with a somewhat clunky interface and load times that are longer than ideal). I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of it though. Namco published it in the US concurrently with Sigma Star Saga (they even shared the same strategy guide) but no one bought Rebelstar due to its horrible cover and lack of being made by the makers of Shantae.

Despite this, personally I found it to be a superior game to Sigma Star Saga.

It was released for $19.99 and is currently a $9.99/$14.99 game. Highly recommended at that price.

Interesting. Does it still have base building and research?

TVs_Frank on
  • Options
    chaossoldierchaossoldier Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    SUper Robot Taisen Original Generation 1 and 2 for the GBA. Awesome mechs to be customized as you see fit combined with TBS

chaossoldier on
    stopit.gifsophia.gifrotj.png
  • Options
    lazerbeardlazerbeard Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Super robot wars for the GBA

lazerbeard on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Nocren wrote:
    4rch3nemy wrote:
    Pick up a DS-lite (cheaper than a cube and better, IMO).

GBA:
    FFT:Advance
    Tactics Ogre: Knights of Lodis

DS:
    Advance Wars: DS

..and you have 4 great games to slog through. :D

Advance Wars DS ownz.

Not to mention that there's a strong possiblity of Jagged Alliance 2 for DS as well.

And they've talked about it again this month, so it hasn't been forgotten about. I would love to have the original released as well.

Kelor on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Super robot taisen for the GBA

JJ on
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I always really liked Fantasy General, but I think I might be the only one..

Instead, try out Stella Deus and Gladius for the PS2. No, they're not Disgaea, but that's not entirely a bad thing. Just ignore the voice acting in Stella Deus, or view it as comic relief.

I don't know if you should buy a Gamecube just for Fire Emblem, but it really is an excellent game. Especially when you get sick and tired of senseless grinding in other games of the genre.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    JJ wrote:
    And they just dropped to $20 at EBstop!

ronzo on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Guys, guys.

Somebody already said X-Com.

We can stop posting now.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    4rch3nemy wrote:
    GBA:
    There is no Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance for the GBA. There is Fire Emblem and there is Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, but no Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance is strictly GameCube (and, I suppose, Wii) only.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Space Hulk!

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote:
    Space Hulk!

If you're talking about the early 90's pc one, then yes.

EDIT: Actually, I'm thinking of something else, probably. Space Hulk was the first person one with several cameras, right?

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    MRPeersonMRPeerson Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Incubation and to some extent the very hard and frustrating mission pack by BlueByte. May be hard to get.

I´ll also second Wesnoth, though it´s a bit too random at times, forcing you to save/reload quite often. Otherwise very good, professional and it has a shitload of campaigns.

MRPeerson on
    Wii: 5994 4910 0244 5552
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Orogogus wrote:
    GoodOmens wrote:
    I think there's still like 100 years to go before the copyright expires. US copyright is 70 or 120 years or something.

I vaguely remember hearing that Microprose had abandoned it. But I could also be a dope. Proceed at your own risk.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    DeaconBluesDeaconBlues __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Captain K wrote:
    Also consider Riviera and Yggdra Union, two GBA games published by Atlus and developed by Sting. They're not for everyone, but they have personality bursting from the seams.

Seconding Yggdra Union.

DeaconBlues on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    beanobeano Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    MRPeerson wrote:
    Incubation and to some extent the very hard and frustrating mission pack by BlueByte. May be hard to get.
    I never got to play Incubation but the earlier Battle Isle games where great! I originally began playing Advance Wars because it reminded me so much of those games.

beano on
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    SMAC, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri is one of the most excellent TBS of that genre. It has a wealth of strategy and tactics to achieve a victory. While Civ4 tends to force players to be good at a particular avenue for victory (military combined with diplomacy, diplomacy, research and construction, or culture), Alpha Centauri had the most diverse methods at victory and diverse strategies for war.
    Drop a tectonic missle and build a mountain range in enemy territory to force the prevailing winds to not drop rain on their lands, causing starvation and death is a devious and lovely tactic.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    For PS1 and 2 take a looka t the Koei games. The Romance of The Three Kingdoms series will embarass your turn based strat skills

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    MRPeersonMRPeerson Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    beano wrote:
    MRPeerson wrote:
    I never got to play Incubation but the earlier Battle Isle games where great! I originally began playing Advance Wars because it reminded me so much of those games.

Yes, i played each battle Isle (except 4) 3-4 times. There is another WW I game from the series, "Historyline 1914-1918". You may like that one, too.
    Funny thing: I called Bluebyte about 5-6 years ago to get BI 2 plus the mission pack, and the secretary/person who answered the phone actually went to the basement to search for a copy under the shelves, since their system said they had no copies left. Nice people. No luck, though. Now i have several copys, though i don´t know anymore where i got them.

On topic: I found Full Spectrum Warrior quite good and it feels almost like a turn-based game.

MRPeerson on
    Wii: 5994 4910 0244 5552
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Ok, there was an old company that used to be pretty good for making hex turnbased games. The name was something like SSC, or SSD? I can't remember it was so long ago, but they used to be a lot of fun. If someone remembers the company I'm talking about, that'd be great, I could figure out what freakin games I'm thinking of here.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    For PS1 and 2 take a looka t the Koei games. The Romance of The Three Kingdoms series will embarass your turn based strat skills

i also enjoy their Dynasty Tactic games... at least the first one.

Fairly simple and straitforward but... I mean I love the genre enough that I'll play almost anything in it so I'll throw it out there. I considered it pretty good quality.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    BoilerbirdBoilerbird Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    leaf wrote:
    Ok, there was an old company that used to be pretty good for making hex turnbased games. The name was something like SSC, or SSD? I can't remember it was so long ago, but they used to be a lot of fun. If someone remembers the company I'm talking about, that'd be great, I could figure out what freakin games I'm thinking of here.

SSI. They made Panzer General.

EDIT: Also, SSI made Steel Panthers: World at War. I think this was released as a free download. It's also ridiculously complicated. (This is either a good thing or a bad thing.)

Boilerbird on
    "The Lord of Murder shall perish. But in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos will be sown from their passage."
    -So sayeth the wise Alaundo

Mario Kart friend code: 227.692.747.075
    Tetris friend code: 742.696.731.030
    Pokemon code: 2921 5590 8486
    Super Smash Bros. Brawl: 0602-5937-3565
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    4rch3nemy wrote:
    GBA:
    There is no Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance for the GBA. There is Fire Emblem and there is Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones, but no Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance is strictly GameCube (and, I suppose, Wii) only.

..erm? I suppose you're right. I'm not really sure what I was thinking there.

I meant to say Sacred Stones.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Utsanomiko wrote:
    Guys, guys.

Somebody already said X-Com.

We can stop posting now.

No we can't stop yet. I haven't mentioned Laser Squad Nemesis.

Okay now we can stop.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Boilerbird wrote:
    leaf wrote:

SSI. They made Panzer General.

EDIT: Also, SSI made Steel Panthers: World at War. I think this was released as a free download. It's also ridiculously complicated. (This is either a good thing or a bad thing.)

Oh man, thank you!

Ok, so here's what I played from them and enjoyed back in the day:

War Wind
    Panzer General
    Star General

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    SisterRaySisterRay Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Avris wrote:
    JJ wrote:
    And they just dropped to $20 at EBstop!

If you do get this game, definitely find a copy with the manual. I bought a cartridge-only version and was completely lost. I made it about 15 missions in but without knowing the details of weapon types and upgrades it felt kind of empty.

That having been said I've already gone through the rest of the GBA tactical rpgs, so I may just try to track down the robot wars sequel.

SisterRay on
    360: SEN0R MachoSolo
    PSN: PalaceBrother
  • Options
    LoneIgadzraLoneIgadzra Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    My turn-based games are:

Heroes of Might & Magic III
    Master of Orion 2

Fallout was good too, not sure it's quite part of this genre though, but I did like the combat.

LoneIgadzra on